http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 12:07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OPM demo disc thoughts  (Read 1055 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2005, 01:30:15 AM »

Grabbed the new OPM and played around with the demo disc.

The new Brave Fencer Mushido game is the reason why I picked up the issue.  And let me tell you - I'm fairly unimpressed with the demo.  I've heard great stuff about the psx version (which, if anyone has I'm interested!) but the demo was just BLAND.  It was all about pushing the x-button a thousand times, sometimes pushing another, getting to a boss, and then right in the middle of the boss fight it pauses and says, "Coming soon!"  The graphics were ok though, I'll give it that much.  Pretty unimpressed.
**EDIT**  I just got done reading a preview on IGN about Musashi - I could see that it possibly could get more interesting.  But still, the core of it seems like a "run around and kill things" in uninspiring fashion.

The God of War "Inside the game" video was awesome!  I hadn't really looked at any info on it because I didn't want to get all hyped but the video really hyped me up.

Area 51 demo was pretty bleh as well.  Average FPS.

Ys VI:  The Ark of Napishtim demo was actually pretty cool!  I was quite impressed.  It was kind of Secret of Mana-esque but with pretty neat graphics.  Dunno why, but I was pretty hooked with it!  I would pick it up for $30, MAYBE $40, but it's going to retail for $50.  I'll wait on a price-drop.
**Edit** On gamestop.com Ys is retailing for $39.99.  Might pick it up when it ships on the 22nd.

The ATV/Motorcross game was pretty alright.  Not a big fan, but I did have some fun playing the demo.  My roomie commented that it "looked like the very first ATV game that came out for the ps2", so yeah.

The Nina Williams game, Death by Degrees - yarg.  I know it's been getting pretty horrific reviews . . . and the reviews are spot on.  It was funny - I did this "special attack" where I shattered this guys rib cage and so the little cutscene happened . . . and about 5 seconds after the cutscene the guy was fine!  He had lost about 1/8 of his health meter but apparently shattering the guys' ribcage didn't kill him?  Only slighty hurt him.  Pretty bad.

That's about it for impressions.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 07:58:24 AM »

Ys looks great, but I've heard it's really short - 10-15 hours or so.  The official website lists "Hidden, unlockable secrets that showcase the timeless legacy of Ys" as a feature.  Hopefully, that means at least one of the previous Ys games, which make getting the game worth it for me.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 09:50:19 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Ys looks great, but I've heard it's really short - 10-15 hours or so.  The official website lists "Hidden, unlockable secrets that showcase the timeless legacy of Ys" as a feature.  Hopefully, that means at least one of the previous Ys games, which make getting the game worth it for me.

Yeah, I've seen that "short game" thing as well.  I'm not too sure if any previous Ys games are unlockables (that WOULD be awesome!  And it IS hinted at with that quote), but I just heard an extra dungeon was added along with an extra boss.

I think I may pick it up over Shining Tears.  I don't know, ST has been getting pretty bad reviews compared to luke-warm Ys VI reviews.  I guess we'll see

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 07:47:38 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

I know I am probably in the minority, but I would be thrilled to see an RPG that will not require 80 hours to complete.  I just don't know how some of you guys (depward, I'm looking at you Tongue) can play all of them!

Too bad I don't have my PS1 games here or I would send you my copy of Brave Fencer Musashi...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 11:04:08 PM »

The new Brave Fencer Mushido game is the reason why I picked up the issue. And let me tell you - I'm fairly unimpressed with the demo. I've heard great stuff about the psx version (which, if anyone has I'm interested!) but the demo was just BLAND. It was all about pushing the x-button a thousand times, sometimes pushing another, getting to a boss, and then right in the middle of the boss fight it pauses and says, "Coming soon!" The graphics were ok though, I'll give it that much. Pretty unimpressed.

well, that sucks...

tried to find a copy of the mag today & failed. your description of the game (tho i'll probably still check it out) doesn't surprise me - i've yet to play a non-rpg square game (including the first musashi) that i liked...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 07:53:46 AM »

Maybe they just created a bad demo for Musashi.  All the previews I've read have been pretty positive.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 11:54:36 PM »

(tho i'll probably still check it out)

uh, & then again,...

finally got the demo, & was really disappointed with musashi. offhand, i can't think of anything i've played in a while with a blander, more lifeless environment than that - wow! & musashi, for as cool as he looks & moves, is just plain slooow...

scratch that one...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:34:21 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
(tho i'll probably still check it out)

uh, & then again,...

finally got the demo, & was really disappointed with musashi. offhand, i can't think of anything i've played in a while with a blander, more lifeless environment than that - wow! & musashi, for as cool as he looks & moves, is just plain slooow...

scratch that one...

Yep agreed.  It was just . . . lifeless.  The main character, Mushashi, is nice and animated and such.  But he is slooooowwwww

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 10:28:47 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

The God of War "Inside the game" video was awesome!  I hadn't really looked at any info on it because I didn't want to get all hyped but the video really hyped me up.

Area 51 demo was pretty bleh as well.  Average FPS.

The God of War video was pretty cool.  They really make the dragon interactions look new and different.  But as far as the gameplay, I only saw two moves.  One was twirly-twirly and the other was the blue lighting (or whatever it was).  I fear that the combat may be boring but the game LOOKS beautiful

Area 51 - BLEH?  I loved it.  I have played it a few more times and it has really got to the point of really learning how the game works.  The thing is that at first there are so many guns and there is so much shooting going on from random places that I was a bit overwhelmed.  Once I played a few more times, got the guns to work, learned how to approach things (not all gung-ho because you die), then it got A LOT better.  Try it out again, its not too long, might do the trick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: