http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation: Steam Backlog  (Read 3285 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 28, 2012, 12:04:19 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 28, 2012, 06:50:35 AM

Ah yes, the winter sales have given me plenty more backlog to attack.

I've been remarkably good with the sales so far.

Well you already own everything slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

I'm calling F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate finished because I hit a game-breaking bug in the final chapter. I still enjoy shotgunning dudes in slow motion, but this was definitely the weaker expansion. The developer seemed to get so lazy with the level design that they would just stick locked doors everywhere and funnel you right through to the one open one.

Going to play Bastion next.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 28, 2012, 10:09:52 PM

... and so he headed off to the Steam app, hoping to find himself a game worth playing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 29, 2012, 12:00:55 AM

Quote from: Teggy on December 28, 2012, 10:09:52 PM

... and so he headed off to the Steam app, hoping to find himself a game worth playing.

biggrin

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »

Dropping back to my originally intended alphabetical order, tonight I knocked off Analogue: A Hate Story. It's a short game and I finished it one 2-2.5 hourish sitting. A very entertaining sort of text adventure/interactive novel kind of thing with a mystery to uncover. Note that there is some adult content in there, and you'll get more out of the game if you do some reading up on it after the fact.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »

This year I'm making a resolution to not buy any games until I finish the ones I haven't beaten yet.

I just bought my last game today (Far Cry 3)

Here's my steam backlog with 2 xbox games in the mix
Assassin's Creed III Xbox 360
Black Mesa PC
Call of Duty Black Ops II PC
Borderlands 2 PC
Borderlands 2 Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty PC
Borderlands 2 Mr. Torque's Campaign of Carnage PC
Borderlands 2 Creature Slaughterdome PC
Darksiders PC
Darksiders II PC
Dishonored PC
FarCry 3 PC
Madden 2013 Xbox 360
Max Payne 3 PC
Spec Ops: The Line PC
Torchlight II PC
The Walking Dead PC
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »

I say you haven't finished Madden until you finish a 30 year career mode  icon_twisted

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 12:53:24 AM »

Quote from: naednek on December 30, 2012, 09:19:55 PM

This year I'm making a resolution to not buy any games until I finish the ones I haven't beaten yet.

With that resolution I'd never buy another game. Ever. icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:56 AM »

There is a thread on GAF for people who were giving up buying new games, with the exception that they could buy a game if they played it immediately. However, they were starting prior to the winter sales, and I knew there was no way I could deal with that icon_lol

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »

I'm putting Aliens vs. Predator in the "tried" category. I put 7 hours into the game, going through the Marine campaign and 3/4s of the Alien campaign, but mostly I'm finding it to be frustrating and a chore. It's nice that there's variation between the campaigns, but even on normal the game seems very unforgiving. The story also seemed somewhat taken from the very poor Aliens vs. Predator movie - maybe it came from the comics before that, I don't know. I'm not putting it in the trash bin, but I doubt I'll come back to it.

I am still going to work on Bastion, but I'll also be working on The Bard's Tale and Far Cry 3. I'm going to just set The Basement Collection aside because I didn't intend to get it when I purchased Humble Bundle 7. It's not something that really interests me.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »

Goddamn steam winter sale. Totally didnt need to pick up a few gems for cheap. NOT AGAIN! And why did they have to throw in Far Cry 3 for $37?!?!?!

In short, my 2013 backlog is already packed and won't get sorted properly due to baby #2 hitting in April.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:22 AM »

Hotline Miami goes into the finished pile. Very fun game, just about the right length for me. A game you could get frustrated with, but the immediate respawn urges you to give it an addictive "one more try". Story is pretty odd, with the true ending only available if you find hidden clues in the game (or watch on Youtube, as I did).

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »

Finished Binary Domain today. A fun shooter with an entertaining story, but the boss battles felt a bit unbalanced in that it was way too easy to get knocked on your butt repeatedly.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »

I saw Binary Domain behind closed doors at Sega last year.  After the demo it was clear why.... 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 11:42:22 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 20, 2013, 11:23:33 PM

I saw Binary Domain behind closed doors at Sega last year.  After the demo it was clear why.... 

It's more a quirky game than a bad game.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »

I realized I had lost sight of this plan, but having just finished Bastion it seemed a good time to revisit it. I have updated my list with some more recent, but alphabetically out of order games I finished, like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 2.

Bastion was among the last 2 games I was supposed to be working on. I felt the game had a lot of style, but the gameplay really didn't do anything for me. I mostly finished it because I wanted to, and it was reasonably short.

I enjoyed The Bard's Tale for the humor, but I just couldn't get into the game like I did the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games that used the same engine. Steam says I played 3 hours, but it felt like more. I'm putting it in the "tried" pile for now.

In the "tossed" pile I have put The Binding of Isaac because I really don't care for the keyboard controls and am not really into the roguelike concept. I added The Basement Collection as well since it was just part of a bundle. In addition I added Offspring Fling! and Toki Tori as I've decided I really don't care for that type of puzzle game, at least if it's not on a handheld.

Next up is The Blackwell Legacy and Blades of Time. I don't have much hope for the latter as X-Blades was pretty awful.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »

Made some good progress.

Finished both The Blackwell Legacy and Blackwell Unbound. I didn't realize these were more episodic adventures, so they were pretty short (about 2-3 hours each). Interesting story and pretty reasonable puzzles, although I had to look up a clue once for each game. The first one I felt was unfair, the second one I was just missing an item on the screen.

I was pleasantly surprised by Blades of Time. A huge improvement over X-Blades, with the exception of the main voice actress, who was awful. Considering I got this for probably about 99 cents via one of the Bemine bundles, I more than got my money worth. A fun action adventure with a simple combo system and a mix of action, puzzles and platforming. However, I don't recommend it at the $25 that it costs on Steam right now. $5 is probably a fair price now. I also played the story DLC, which was quite short (less than an hour) but pretty fun.

Next up I will continue working through the Blackwell games as well as Breath of Death VII. I have Blood Bowl alphabetically in there, but it was part of bundle and there's no real end to a sports game.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »

I finished off NFS: Undercover last night. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 02:11:04 AM »

Jumping around a little bit but still making decent alphabetical progress. Beat Blackwell Convergence which was on par with the other Blackwell games. I also beat The Cave, finishing the game with all 7 characters. A clever little game, although playing some of the same parts over again got a little tedious.

Felt like playing an FPS, so I snuck in F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and the DLC campaign, "Reborn". I didn't feel the same magic playing this one as I did with the original. No big revelations in the story and the gunplay just didn't feel as good for some reason. I also missed some of the twists and turns of the levels present in the original game.

I also set aside Caster. I played through the majority of the first "campaign", and while it is impressive that a single guy made the game, the lack of any real story or point to the game meant it wasn't going to hold my interest. In addition, some of the missions could easily be completed in under 60 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:30:37 AM by Teggy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: