http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 04:33:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation: Silence my PS3!  (Read 2066 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »

Operation Silence My PS3 is well underway and approaching the completion phase.

2.5 days ago I put my loud but perfectly functioning PS3 on eBay.    I ultimately decided not to mention that it's loud, because doing a search online reveals that the vast majority of the 60gb systems were loud.   It's all over the place out there... and has been determined that it still operates fine.   Starting price of auction was $239

1 day ago I formatted the PS3 and got it ready to go out the door.

8.5 hours to go on the auction and it has 5 bids up to $295

Today I located 1 new PS3 Slim in town.    I rushed over to get it and the guy didn't even know about it.    I told him I saw it on ebgames that they had one available and so he did some digging.   Apparently someone the preordered it had until last night to pick it up or it would go back on sale.    I bought it.    smile

In about an hour I will carefully pack up my old friend (60gb) and have it ready to ship.     I will then unbox my new friend and set him up.

** I really do love the look of the fat models.... futuristic and expensive looking.    But since this system is now in my bedroom directly under the kids rooms.... I needed for it to be a lot more quiet than it is.    (because i have to counter the sound by turning up my TV).

So there you have it.... I should make enough to cover the replacement, and I'll now have a 1 year warranty again.    The drawback is that I will have an uglier PS3.   Tongue
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:36:26 PM »

I think the Slim PS3 is S3xy.  I can't even tell it's on when it's running it's so quiet.

"Goonies never say die"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

I have a quiet fattie. the 80GB (just before the slims) weren't that bad, I guess.

I'd prefer a slim, or get mine onto The Biggest Loser. We could all stand to lose a few pounds.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »

I have a loudass fatty 60 BC model. Kinda thinking about selling to finance a Slim, since I don't use the BC anyway...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 04, 2010, 09:04:24 PM

I have a loudass fatty 60 BC model. Kinda thinking about selling to finance a Slim, since I don't use the BC anyway...

That's exactly what I had and what I have done....

With about 8 hours to go on the auction it's already at $300.    I had no idea that 60gb models were so coveted.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 04, 2010, 09:06:23 PM

Quote from: depward on March 04, 2010, 09:04:24 PM

That's exactly what I had and what I have done....

With about 8 hours to go on the auction it's already at $300.    I had no idea that 60gb models were so coveted.

Wow...this makes want to put mine up for sale as well.  I don't really use the BC anymore.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »

Sadly, I still use BC all the time, and I dread the moment when the sucker dies on me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »

I have a really quiet 60 GB BC. It gets loud if I restrict the airflow, but if I open the cabinet the fans rarely come on. Now I'm tempted to sell it to get a slim too.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:35:39 AM »

There was a site I found that listed by serial number the common traits of all the 60gb machines.    There was a very very brief run of quiet 60gb machines.     Most of the rest were noisy in some way or another.    Some had other problems with things like the WIFI and other things.

Anyway... UPDATE:   I got the slim up and going and I am amazed at how quiet it is.   I could turn it on by mistake and never know it was on.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:47:46 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 04, 2010, 11:30:49 PM

Sadly, I still use BC all the time, and I dread the moment when the sucker dies on me.

Same. No way I'm letting my fully BC capable PS3 go anytime soon.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:23:15 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on March 05, 2010, 01:35:39 AM

There was a site I found that listed by serial number the common traits of all the 60gb machines.    There was a very very brief run of quiet 60gb machines.     Most of the rest were noisy in some way or another.    Some had other problems with things like the WIFI and other things.

Anyway... UPDATE:   I got the slim up and going and I am amazed at how quiet it is.   I could turn it on by mistake and never know it was on.

Yeah, I've left my new Slim on all night a couple times simply because I didn't realize it was still on.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 05, 2010, 03:47:46 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 04, 2010, 11:30:49 PM

Same. No way I'm letting my fully BC capable PS3 go anytime soon.

i'm very glad i got a slim - it's nice not caring whether anything goes wrong. while, meanwhile, my 60gb slept through 022910 in it's box, & will be there for me when i wanna play ffx, sotc, or mgs2 again...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:41:47 AM »

Congrats on your success, msd, especially since yours sounds like it was quite a tank!  I'm quite happy with my new PS3 - a new Slim model.  In comparison to playing a game off the 360 HD, there are a few long load times, a little extra noise, but nothing that interferes with the enjoyment of the game.  Knowing that I can (finally) cover the three major consoles and their exclusives feels capital G-Good!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »

My 60 GB PS3 is definitely getting louder (and the fan has kicked into what I can only call Super-Overdrive on a few recent occasions) so it does make me worry for it's longevity since I get frequent use out of the BC.  I have been tempted to pick up a Slim and use the 60 GB model just for playing PS2 games. 

I'm hopeful my 60 GB will hold out at least long enough for PS2 emulation to mature more. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

Huh, who'd have thought that the 60gb fat can still get 300. I may just have to sell mine. I like the PS3 fine, but don't use the BC that much, hell I don't game that much anymore, so it'd be nice to have the money and option to buy a slim if I wanted to.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on March 05, 2010, 04:23:15 AM

Yeah, I've left my new Slim on all night a couple times simply because I didn't realize it was still on.

I have done ths too.  Also, my little one year old loves the controller and turns the system on all the time.  If I don't see the lights I never notice.

morlac00 on PSN
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

Final talley:    $315 + $15 shipping.     I have received payment and shipped the baby out.    I gave it a hug before I put it in the shipping box.   
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 04:20:20 AM »

There was a site I found that listed by serial number the common traits of all the 60gb machines. There was a very very brief run of quiet 60gb machines. Most of the rest were noisy in some way or another. Some had other problems with things like the WIFI and other things.

Can you post the link, please? I'm surprised to hear about this "very very brief run of quiet 60GB machines" and curious where mine falls in the list. The only time it is anything like "noisy" is when it's been on for a while, gets hotter than normal and the fans spin up to high speed.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »

Oh crap.   Let me see if I can find it again.....   might take me a bit.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 03:02:35 PM »

Thank God for internet History being turned on....

here it is... it's a compiled list on Playstation forums

List
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »

my original launch 60gb was also quiet.    When the HDMI failed on it, Sony sent me a replacement unit.   I'm assuming they sent me one of the units made for the European launch/market.    These were serials that were known to be loud.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: