http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:58:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera Web Browser add-on for DS announced (and W11 WIFI!)  (Read 2933 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2006, 07:36:09 AM »

From the Japanese DS Lite Conference that took place today (Wednesday) in Japan:

An Opera-based web browser add-on has been announced for the Nintendo DS:

An announcement for Winning 11 for the DS WITH Wifi support.

An announcement for Dynasty Warriors (wtf!).

The new Super Mario Bros game coming out in Japan in May.

Announcement of a digital TV tuner:

That's about it.  Some pretty cool things announced, especially the browser and Winning 11 WIFI!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 08:06:03 AM »

dude, THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Come May, I MAY have to import my first game of all time.  I cant wait for the new SMB!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:24:08 AM »

Stylus gestures, anyone??  :wink:

With my nearly non-stop WE9 playing, I am pretty excited about wi-fi play on the DS with a WE game.  

What does the TV tuner do?

May's right around the corner, Jeremy!

Man, I am loving all this DS news.  Between this and the sweet Metroid Hunters information that's coming out (voice chat, all the different gametypes), the DS is shaping up to be an absolutely incredible device.

And Age of Empires tomorrow!  And Princess Peach later this month!  GO DS!

TheMissingLink on PSN
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 08:57:55 AM »

What are the chances of it actually coming to the states though?
A good example is the ps2 has had a web browser (an official one at that) in Japan for who knows how long, yet it's never seen the light of day in the U.S.

The more third party stuff we keep seeing for the DS, it's starting to look more and more like a PSP.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
What are the chances of it actually coming to the states though?
A good example is the ps2 has had a web browser (an official one at that) in Japan for who knows how long, yet it's never seen the light of day in the U.S.

The more third party stuff we keep seeing for the DS, it's starting to look more and more like a PSP.

Stop it! STOP IT!  YOU MAKE MY FACE ACHE!  jk jk jk.  I really hope it comes to the states, I'd love to be able to surf the net on the DS.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »

Wow, that is some cool shtuff.  biggrin  I'm unexpectedly surprised at what they are doing with the DS.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 12:24:09 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Stylus gestures, anyone??  :wink:

With my nearly non-stop WE9 playing, I am pretty excited about wi-fi play on the DS with a WE game.  

What does the TV tuner do?

May's right around the corner, Jeremy!

Man, I am loving all this DS news.  Between this and the sweet Metroid Hunters information that's coming out (voice chat, all the different gametypes), the DS is shaping up to be an absolutely incredible device.

And Age of Empires tomorrow!  And Princess Peach later this month!  GO DS!

I have to go alll Devil on you for a moment.  Princess Peach?  Princess Peach??!?!

Ugh.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 12:44:53 PM »

Actually the odds of it coming over are great because in a recent EGM interview Reggie said that they knew a third party was making one and that if they didn't then Nintendo would go down that route.

He also made mention of bringing out the MP3 player that works in your DS/GBA. So I think the odds are great.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:24:14 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I have to go alll Devil on you for a moment.  Princess Peach?  Princess Peach??!?!

Ugh.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We all wait for Devils anti-Nintendo antics to drag us all down here.  :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »

What's so great about Winning Eleven wifi?  Can the PSP not already do that?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 03:16:39 PM »

the ps2 has had a web browser (an official one at that) in Japan for who knows how long, yet it's never seen the light of day in the U.S.

Am I missing something here?  I browse on the PSP all the time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

Good point, but does the PSP play games too?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
the ps2 has had a web browser (an official one at that) in Japan for who knows how long, yet it's never seen the light of day in the U.S.

You're on the psP.  The quote was talking about the ps2.  smile

That said, the big thing with the DS is that, so far as I understand it, there are no regional lockouts for the device, so theoretically you could just import the Japan-only stuff.  I've done that before.  I modded my N64 to play Japanese carts and imported games in the past.  In fact, when Smash Bros. came out, originally it wasn't supposed to come to North America, so I imported it once it was released in Japan.  Imported a few others later on, like "Sin & Punishment" (great shooter, should've been released in NA).

The nice thing is that most action-based games released in Japan have just a small enough amount of text that you can usually figure out what you're doing even if you don't read Japanese.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »

Thanks warning!!

More storage, online sports, TV, web browser.

Nintendo is morphing the DS into the PSP that everyone hates so much.  Tongue

Not to mention that adding external devices, like the TV and hard drive, may raise the price and shoot down one of your biggest pluses!

But you'll always have this:
The new Super Mario Bros game coming out ...

Couldn't Nintendo put that in every press release?

Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 06:21:02 PM »

Well, to be fair, the DS is STILL significantly less expensive than the PSP, and the extra things here are entirely optional.  Me, I'll probably pass on the web browser and TV tuner, but it's nice to see that they're possible and will probably be available.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Nintendo is morphing the DS into the PSP that everyone hates so much.  Tongue

Except for the fact that the DS is still fun to play.

And as for the new Super Mario Bros, that is what is going to end the PSP once and for all.  Ok, so maybe not end it, but it surely is going to put the DS farther ahead of the PSP.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »

Except for the fact that the DS is still fun to play

OR
The PSP IS fun to play. DS isn't.  biggrin

And as for the new Super Mario Bros, that is what is going to end the PSP once and for all. Ok, so maybe not end it, but it surely is going to put the DS farther ahead of the PSP.

END the PSP? Did you see the sales numbers posted in here over the holidays? For a system with no games and is too expensive, they seemed to do OK. Imagine if they got 'better' games?

The PSP will BLOW PAST the DS in within a year or so and Nintendo will be forced to come out with a real challenger.

You guys are insane.  smile

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 07:12:44 PM »

The PSP will BLOW PAST the DS in within a year or so and Nintendo will be forced to come out with a real challenger.

lol

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 07:22:17 PM »

Ds here I come?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »

You're on the psP. The quote was talking about the ps2.

Aha!  That'd do it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 07:33:52 PM »

Gator - You will be singing the praises of the PSP and and saying DSwhat? by the end of the year!

biggrin

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »

Gator - You will be singing the praises of the PSP and and saying DSwhat? by the end of the year!

biggrin

I dont know about that, I'd rather invest the money in a PS3.  I'll sing it some praises right now:  best handheld graphics on the market. period.  The video and music options are cool, but not necessary.  Already has web browsing which I am very jealous of.  I cant think of any others right now.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 07:43:28 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

lol

Seconded.  You smoking the good stuff this, Devil.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 08:38:34 PM »

If you're going to write off Princess Peach because of it's cutesy style and the fact you play as a woman, you're going to miss out what some Japan reviewers think is as good as any Mario game, so it's your loss.

Oh wait, you have something against Mario, too.  Nevermind then, I guess.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
If you're going to write off Princess Peach because of it's cutesy style and the fact you play as a woman, you're going to miss out what some Japan reviewers think is as good as any Mario game, so it's your loss.

Oh wait, you have something against Mario, too.  Nevermind then, I guess.

Princess Peach has an 82% on gamerankings right now... not that bad at all.  Not to mention, the anti-Nintendo Game Informer gave it an 8.75.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »

The PSP is twice as expensive as the DS and it has outsold the DS in the US every month since its release but one (November). The PSP ain't going anywhere.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:21 PM »

I dont know about that, I'd rather invest the money in a PS3. I'll sing it some praises right now: best handheld graphics on the market. period. The video and music options are cool, but not necessary. Already has web browsing which I am very jealous of. I cant think of any others right now.

I wouldn't be too jealous of the web browser for the PSP - Text entry sucks and would actually be better on the DS!

This is kinda my point. The games will come and the PSP will be more of a complete package compared to the DS.

I just see this little battle coming down the same way the PS2/GC did. Nintendo had had a HUGE head start in the handheld market. Give Sony a couple of years before declaring some sort of victory. Nintendo also had a head start in consoles and we know how that's going.

TML - Who's writing off Princess Peach (or any other game they haven't played)? I've always said that 2 of the best games for the DS are Kirby and the Cheerleaders. I play the games before I judge them.  smile

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 08:58:15 PM »

Kirby and the Cheerleaders

I'd play that.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 09:11:17 PM »

I wish the PSP had a TV tuner. The screen is far superior than the DS screens.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 09:48:18 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
The PSP is twice as expensive as the DS and it has outsold the DS in the US every month since its release but one (November). The PSP ain't going anywhere.

Not too surprising since sales generally slow every month after release, with the holidays as exceptions, and the DS was released a few months before the PSP.

As of December 26th:

So far, Nintendo DS sales are better than Sony's PSP. The NPD Group, which tracks retail sales in the United States, estimates that Nintendo has sold 2.37 million units of its portable game player, to 2.16 million unit sales for Sony's PSP.

Japanese market researcher Famitsu shows the Nintendo DS doing even better in Japan, with 3.63 million units compared with the PSP's 2.1 million.

Source:  http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/12/26/BUGLNGCO6C1.DTL&type=tech

[EDIT]
To clarify, the same stance I've had all along, I am in no way saying the PSP is failing, or the DS is technically superior to the PSP (it's not from a raw power or multimedia standpoint).  However, the competition between the DS and PSP is very close, and good for the industry as a whole.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 09:52:15 PM »

TML - Who's writing off Princess Peach (or any other game they haven't played)?

That would be me.  My sons would rightly kill me and eat my soul if I brought that game home.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Not too surprising since sales generally slow every month after release, with the holidays as exceptions, and the DS was released a few months before the PSP.

As of December 26th:

So far, Nintendo DS sales are better than Sony's PSP. The NPD Group, which tracks retail sales in the United States, estimates that Nintendo has sold 2.37 million units of its portable game player, to 2.16 million unit sales for Sony's PSP.

Japanese market researcher Famitsu shows the Nintendo DS doing even better in Japan, with 3.63 million units compared with the PSP's 2.1 million.

Source:  http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/12/26/BUGLNGCO6C1.DTL&type=tech

[EDIT]
To clarify, the same stance I've had all along, I am in no way saying the PSP is failing, or the DS is technically superior to the PSP (it's not from a raw power or multimedia standpoint).  However, the competition between the DS and PSP is very close, and good for the industry as a whole.

That's some pretty heavy spin, at least for the US. DS is definitely trumping the PSP in Japan, no question. As for the US, as a Nintendo fan I can't help but be worried about how healthy the DS' long term prospects are.

The figures you quoted basically prove my point. First off, given the price discrepancy between the two handhelds, you would expect to see the DS selling well above the PSP on a month to month basis (simply because the cheaper item generally always sells more units).  It is not healthy when your direct competitor outsells you at twice the MSRP. As Sony lowers the price of the PSP, it's going to really erode DS market share over the next few years.

Second, Nintendo has had to run some pretty big incentinves to push sales, while Sony hasn't. The DS has already had one price drop and Nintendo's already started running bundles to drive sales. Compare that to the PSP which hasn't had a price drop and the only bundle was a hardware bundle at a higher price point.

This isn't doom and gloom for the DS too much, though. The DS and PSP really are different markets and the DS also competes on the low end with the SP. We'll see how sales of the DS compare to the PSP when Pokemon is released, as traditionally that really drives people to adopt new Nintendo handhelds.

And, of course, Nintendo is making money.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
TML - Who's writing off Princess Peach (or any other game they haven't played)?

That would be me.  My sons would rightly kill me and eat my soul if I brought that game home.

lol, haha.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »

Some good points there, Andrew.  Not much to add, just wanted to note that.  smile

depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »

I didn't want to add much except for saying Princess Peach is going to kick ass because of the Mario-esque-platforming style.

And Farscry_Redux - that avatar is freaking me out!  A pirate kitty?!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 01:11:16 AM »

I just wish Opera were available on my cell phone.  They have a Java version for cell phones that they released but it's currently available in Scandanavia.

I love Opera.  I'm using it to type this. Cool

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 02:16:54 AM »

AS AM I!!! (but you're probably doing it on your NEWLY SOFT-MODDED XBOX you rapscallion)

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 02:18:03 AM »

I use Opera as well.  A fine, fine web browser.  Though, sometimes I need to use (BLAST!) IE to open some sites.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2006, 02:25:50 AM »

I prefer Firefox but I end up using Opera at home and work just because I can never get Firefox and Macromedia Flash to play nice.
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 03:19:14 AM »

Browser + HDD = DS Pr0n
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: