http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onlive beta  (Read 2716 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »

Yeah, it certainly sounds like they did a good job with both the micro-console and the service (where it's available).  I will definitely try it out, though there aren't enough games available yet to make it worth investing in (for me).

One thing to note is that in that Joystiq review he mentions he has a 68Mb downstream connection, which is significantly higher than most residential connections.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2010, 08:44:18 PM

One thing to note is that in that Joystiq review he mentions he has a 68Mb downstream connection, which is significantly higher than most residential connections.

That little tidbit jumped out at me as well.  Makes me wonder how much that had to do with his little lag.

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:31 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 18, 2010, 10:28:37 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2010, 08:44:18 PM

That little tidbit jumped out at me as well.  Makes me wonder how much that had to do with his little lag.

I was interested in that as well, so I installed the OnLive plugin here at work to give it a test.  I played Batman: AA for a while and it maxed out at using about 5.3 megabits per second, and it was pretty smooth the whole time but did have some minor video artifacting. 

Doing connection speed tests to servers on either coast I get results of 7-11Mbps, and going to local Denver servers I get 35-65 MBps, so I have to guess that they throttle their video around the 5Mbps that they recommend for 1080p video.  I'm not sure where their closest servers are, but I would bet Denver or Dallas (or both), so the ping times would be pretty good as well.

I'll try tonight from home to see what kind of results I get on a residential cable line, but I'm expecting similar.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »

Thanks for beign a guinee pig!  I am definitly intrigued by this.

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:56 AM »

I got to test this out on my home connection tonight and overall my conclusion is that it worked about as well as it did from the faster connection at work.  My home internet is through Comcast cable; I think it is supposed to be 15Mbps down though honestly I'm not even sure anymore.  I did tests against servers on both coasts and got download speeds of 4-9Mbps with latency in the 40-70ms range, and to Denver it was 15-20Mbps with 15-20ms latency. 

On this one I tried out Dirt 2 since that is a game I have played for hours and hours on my PC and I wanted to see how it compared.  Visually there was still a bit of indistinct graininess to the image, especially around things like UI text and such.  It wasn't too bad, but it just didn't have the crispness of what I am used to.  That may be lessened when looking at a TV screen that is ~8 feet away, and not a monitor 2 feet away.

I did have one network hiccup while playing, and during that time the game briefly paused and then there was significant graphic tiling for a second or so after it restarted.  Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning.

As for controls and lag, I would say for the two games I played it was hardly noticeable at all and I was able to quickly make a mental adjustment to it.  In Dirt I got 3rd place in my first race and won the second one, so there ya go.  slywink

Personally I probably will only use this service as a free 30 minute game demo station, but if I had an older PC or really wanted to play games on my TV I'd certainly consider the micro console or just playing games on a crappy PC that it couldn't normally handle.  I'd say if you're interested it's definitely worth a try since there's no subscription fee and you can try any game free for 30 minutes.  The biggest problem, I think, will be trusting that the service will be around for as long as you want to play your games, as well as having competitive prices.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 07:02:20 PM »

It's getting more interesting with OnLive.

OnLive PlayPack - unlimited game play with select titles for $9.99 / month
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on December 02, 2010, 07:02:20 PM

This is exactly the model that can make Online worth it.  I'm fine with steam and downloading games, but buying a game that even Online says will go away in a year or two is just too much for me.  Now and all you can eat subscription with good games on it I could go for.

I could even see a "Premium Plan" where instead of unlimited for the same price you get x hours per month of top titles.  Pretty much bring renting to pc games.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »

I just ordered the console a couple of days ago.  This could be great.  Or fall completely flat.  They need to get that line up of game beefier STAT.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2011, 04:07:25 AM »

You can sign up for an account and try it for free on the PC now.  There's a few games older games that you can try out for free (prince of persia, titan's quest, etc).  Overall, it is pretty cool and is definitely worth a look. 

My internet connection is not fast enough and things look a little grainy and there is some noticeable lag.  It is cool to see the tech at work.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »

The PlayPack deal is live now.  the first month is free, after that it's 10 bucks a month.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »

Onlive is going mobile: http://www.onlive.com/mobile?ol_campgn_internal=homepage

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »

i downloaded last night. haven't tried to play lego batman yet though. will try after lunch. i tried to find it for my kindle fire, but it's not on amazon market as of last night. i'll try to side load it later and see.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: