http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:05:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: online card games  (Read 1997 times)
T-Dub
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2005, 06:11:04 PM »

I used to play this game called Sanctum, and I noticed today that it is still available.  I was kinda surprised, and figured something would have taken it's place- it is an old old game.  Well, that got me to wondering about other online card based games.  What, in your humble opinions, is a good-very good game that would be easy to get into.  I'm sure everything will come with the required money pit to build up decks.  Are there any out there that do not require massive amounts of purchases to be competitive?

Thanks!
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 06:49:04 PM »

Hrmm..  I used to really like ChronX: http://www.chronx.com/chronxhq.php

Its an interesting Map based CCG.  I'm actually surprised its still out there.  There are some others.  The hard part about CCGs online is that you really have to depend on the game taking off.  If it doesnt, then the money is no good.  All the online CCGs are built around client server interactions and rarely have offline or LAN play.  Why?  Because otherwise people woould just hack all the cards and be done with it. :/

Dont' get me wrong...electronic CCGs are fun.  I want to play MG:Ac!d on the PSP, and I have a ball with Phantasy Star Online Ep3: C.A.R.D. Revolution and Culdcept on the consoles...but there hasn't been many that have really taken off.  PSO ep3 works because you just have to buy the game to add it to your current account.  It was basically an add on..with a decent story mode as well.  Downside is that it doesn't seem to be expandable.  *sigh*   I like the Magic game for the PC because it didn't matter or care how many cards you had in multiplayer.  You could use them all...

I'm still looking for a good card type game out there as well.  I'll be watching this thread.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 08:41:24 PM »

Its so hard to find CCG games online that dont cost you money.  Everything has the money pit if they expect to make money.  Otherwise they are doing it as some form of Beta or alpha and the game usually sucks so badly its not worht mentioning.

So far the only way I find enjoyment is by playing Magic online.  Dont play Magic Online (MTGO, or whatever they call it now), get yourself a copy of Magic Workstation, or Magic Apprentice and play that way...

Your still playing the same card game though... (Although you can design your own sets and whatnot)...

I usually just draft up sets with friends when I need ot kill time... So I'll be watchign this to see if someone has found a diamond in the rough... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 10:23:45 PM »

Another one I've found recently is a java applet (similar to Magic: Apprentice) that allows you to play the excellent Legend of the five Rings game online.  It's a yahoo group you have to join for the files, and the list mostly sees spam, but it's a nice app.  http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/l5r-the-game/?yguid=108918229

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 02:58:10 AM »

If you're a Magic the Gathering type game fan, definitely keep an eye on Guild Wars.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 03:05:48 AM »

Wow... do alot of people play on that Magic Workstation / Magic Apprentice thing?  That'd be a great free option instead of MTGO for draft play...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
T-Dub
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 04:20:00 AM »

Here's a link to the Sanctum game I mentioned earlier - http://sanctum.nioga.net/

Hope we receive more replies as the weekend winds down.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 04:38:57 PM »

Well...I was just reminded about how much fun I had with ChronX by diving back in with a friend and playing the free version.  mmmm...cyberpunk goodness.

ChronX, like Sanctum, only requires you to purchase the cards.  Once you have done so, there are no further fees.  Also, it would seem that ChronX can be played over LAN/Net without the servers with a few command line switches, which is a good thing.  Some minor backing up of files and you maintain your purchased cards indefinately.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Repentant
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »

Star Chamber was written by a few ex-Digital Addiction people.  If you like Sanctum, you'll see a lot of its mechanics in Star Chamber.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 09:18:53 PM »

Quote from: "Repentant"
Star Chamber was written by a few ex-Digital Addiction people.  If you like Sanctum, you'll see a lot of its mechanics in Star Chamber.

I'll second that.  I played Star Chamber quite a bit and enjoyed it.  It's almost a cross between a decent 4x board game and a card game.  Both compliment eachother rather well.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 04:32:56 AM »

A lot of people use Workstation/Apprentice to fine-tune decks they plan on using for tournaments...

But they also designed "Netdraft" where you can draft whatever you want with others online,.. then you can import the cards into workstation and play them out.

It works a lot ebtter when you have 4 people who know each other... because once in w ahiwle you'll get ones where its 8 people, 3 are idiots, and no one wants ot play afterwards, jyst rave about thier decks.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »

resurrecting this thread because I checked out MTGO again today.

It's come a long, long way.  The interface seems a bit clunkier actually, but everything else is much smoother.  They also finally have some super cheap options for people who just want to play.

There is a special category of card, Planeswalker Format, that are gold bordered and not tradeable that you can buy large amounts for very, very cheap.  You can only play these versus others in the same format.  This provides a good way for people to cheaply learn to play and also experiment with deck building.  There are enough cards available to do a lot.

There are also the 'real' cards available for much cheaper thanks to the deflation of the ticket value since so many cards now exist online.  I came up with a deck concept and owned none of the cards.  $6 later I had the complete deck, no fuss.

Limited events are also still a blast.  I do have to stress that any time you could buy packs, I would definitely rather do a draft or sealed instead.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

You can play Thunderstone on Facebook, and it's actually pretty good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:45 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 24, 2012, 03:40:54 PM

You can play Thunderstone on Facebook, and it's actually pretty good.

you have a link for the app?  I find fan pages for the 'real' game instead

btw if any of you sign up for MTGO, my name on it is Harkonis.  Always better to play with friends.  It's now $10 to start a new account but you get several hundred cards, a booster and a ticket ($1) when you do.  Still a much better value than the XBLA version
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 04:54:15 AM »

Try this

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »

thanks.  very fun.  I look forward to iOS version
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: