http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:38:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams this week!  (Read 689 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »

Yea!!!  I love the Onimusha games.  I am very excited about this one and it has been getting really good reviews - 8.8 from IGN, 4.5 stars from Gamespy, 8.0 from Gamespot

I am very excited.  It has been just a kick butt time for the PS2 lately.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »

Yes!  This along with Shadow Hearts this week means oodles of PS2 goodness.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:49:25 PM »

I really liked the first few Onimusha games, but they got so repetitive and easy by the third game that I just kind of gave up-hopefully you guys will tell me good things about this one.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:21:56 AM »

I loved the fact that the Onimusha games were so easy. I don't have the pinpoint reflexes necessary for games like Ninja Gaiden or the original Devil May Cry 3.

I play for the environments, interesting enemies and story.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:49:35 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Yes!  This along with Shadow Hearts this week means oodles of PS2 goodness.

this or shadow hearts? - that is the question (impressions appreciated - the reviews do indeed make it sound good)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 02:06:52 AM »

My copy should be in tomorrow.  I will post impressions after I have gotten a bit of time with the game.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 05:56:41 PM »

The game is very good.  It is very different then the previous games which takes some getting used to but if you liked the other ones you will love this one.

The biggest difference is that the gameplay is broken up into "missions".  So you go out, do a mission, come back level up, see your team at the base, talk to them then go on another mission.  That is ok but it really breaks up the gameplay for me.  I don't feel like I am following a long story but instead just little snips.  

The camera is moveable but I find that actually less them usefull.  With the other games they planned out the areas fairly well so you could see what was going on so I didn't care about the fixed camera.  And honestly there are still a lot of areas where the camera cannot move.  I also find that I don't really bother rotating the camera that much.  I am used to the mechanics of the first 3 games so I know how to figure out where the enemy is and can attack something I can't see.  It just doesn't make the game for me.

The english voice acting is decent but nothing spectacular.  It doesn't detract from the game.  

The graphics are very, very good.  I am amazed at how they can keep getting a bit more out of the PS2.  It plays smooth and fast as well.  

One of the things I really like about the series is upgrading your stuff.  This game has more. You can upgrad weapons and armor as well as learn new abilities etc.  It is great!  I love being able to just go back to a previous section and have more monsters to kills so I get more points for ungrading.  It allows me to be a worse player, but spend more time upgrading so I can still kill the big bosses.  I like that flexiblity.  

In this game you get to control 4 companions and while they are mostly brain dead when fighting beside you they are fun to control and varied.  It also adds to the obsession to get everything becuase you can go back a lot to earlier areas and do things with diffferent characters.  In some levels for example you see a stone block you know you can't move but you will get a guy who can move them later so you can come back and see what you missed.  

All in all the game is bigger, better, longer, and offers a lot more of the demon slashing fun of the other games so if you loved them you will love this one as well.

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »

I am liking it, but man - the AI is USELESS against boss fights.  It can't get out of its own way. Also, the boss fights take way longer than they need to - lots of waiting just to get a couple hits in.

Other than that, it's pretty fun. Like Farley said, I like being able to revisit earlier stages to level my guys up. Most reviews say 15 hours for the story, but I can see it lasting much longer if you take the time to keep everyone leveled and upgraded.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »

I just played it for first 10min, Great Graphic and control.
Camera can bother you just little but so far having a great time.
Giant Samurai fight is the killer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: