http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:31:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One More PS2 Memory Question  (Read 722 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:30:39 PM »

Is it acceptible to buy non Sony memory?

They have 8 mb at BB for 24.99 and a 16 mb MAX at bb for the same price.

Blue shirt said non-sony memory may not save all games.

Advice?

Oh and Guitar Hero is waiting to be played!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »

I think the general consensus with regards to 3rd party PS2 memory cards is that they tend to, well, suck. There's nothing worse than having a card full of saves, and then one day, not be able to access any of them.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 09:48:09 PM »

Now you should have pretty good luck with memory cards because the PS2 is a mature platform.  There is a 64 MB memory card out there.  I got it and so far I've been very happy with it.  I figure I won't need another PS2 memory card ever now.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 09:58:45 PM »

I wouldn't bother with a 3rd party memory card. You'll probably not fill up an 8 Meg card anytime soon, so why take the risk of all your saves failing?
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 12:27:51 AM »

I posted a link to my review of the Datel 64 MB card a while back.

I'll do it again.

Still not a single read or write error.  I've had bad experiences with 3rd party cards in the past, but not this one.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:42:47 AM »

I still remember the giant stink that Victor Ireland (former head of Working Designs) made way back when the PS2 was still new about how bad all non-Sony PS2 cards were.

I don't know how the new ones hold up, but I still only own non-offbrand memory cards for all my gaming consoles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 01:08:10 AM »

I have the same 64MB card Hrothgar was talking about and I have not had a single problem/error either.  Just nother vote for that card.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 01:31:23 AM »

ive had the same off brand memory card for my ps2 since I got it (whenever ff10 came out) and I've never had any problems.  Same with ps1, the only offical ps1 memory card I had was the "pocket station" little toy thing..

..but I also normally play a game till its finished..so if I lost data, I would only be disappointed for the current game I was playing.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 01:32:59 AM »

After a horrid experience early on with a third party memory card that required a boot disk I've stuck with strictly first party memory cards since and have never looked back.  I've only needed two cards in the five years I've owned a PS2 and rarely have to clear it out despite a pretty massive PS2 library.  Unless you play lots of sports games you'll be shocked at how long a standard 8 MB card will last.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 02:27:10 AM »

Myself, I have an Official 8mb PS2 Card, a Max 32mb Card, a 40 gb PS2 HD and a 120 gb Maxtor, which I have made compatible with my ps2.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 01:19:02 AM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Myself, I have an Official 8mb PS2 Card, a Max 32mb Card, a 40 gb PS2 HD and a 120 gb Maxtor, which I have made compatible with my ps2.

With that much storage, you can own every single game available on the console and still not run out of save game space. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 02:38:15 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Now you should have pretty good luck with memory cards because the PS2 is a mature platform.  There is a 64 MB memory card out there.  I got it and so far I've been very happy with it.  I figure I won't need another PS2 memory card ever now.

I was going to recommend the 64 mb card, but today I ran into a little problem with mine.  For some reason, We Love Katamari would not recognize the card.  It kept saying that a memory card with at least 88 kb free needed to be present.  Tried it 3 times and then put in the 8 mb Sony card and it saved fine.  I'm going to try and copy the Katamari save over to it and then see if the game will see it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: