http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Game At a Time: Updated. Backlog Pared Significantly!  (Read 5406 times)
Louis Cypher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 02:08:51 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 16, 2006, 01:59:07 PM

Wow! It just arrived!  Two days later and it's here. Amazing!

"I intend GoW to be my first game on this console and I intend for it to be my ONLY game, until I've finished it."

Alright, buy me a game..I'll Take Splinter Cell..Pleasure doing business with ya slywink

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »

Sorry! By selling the 2 bundled games I'm still only in the 1 game at a time parameter.

Wahh wahh wahhhh  :slywink:
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2006, 01:41:39 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 16, 2006, 02:11:34 PM

Oh Man! You are such a crafty trickster.  I would be glad to spend my hard earned money on someone who posts on a messageboard.  My hats off to you, gamer
Why thank you.  PMed you my address.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 03:38:53 AM »

wanna hear something funny?  i had a similar idea with the ps2 i just bought a couple weeks ago...........and guess which game i started on and swore i wouldn't play anything else until i finished?

FFX........that is until everyone tells me it can take 100+ hours to finish!  so i said screw that plan!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 04:14:43 AM »

Whoah, FFX is not a 100 hour game for the vast majority of players.  More like 50-60 hours. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 04:44:53 AM »

ya, but exploring like i do will take 100+.  and besides 50 hours for a casual gamer like me might as well be 300 hours.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 05:14:37 PM »

By the way, I have made the decision to implement this rule for all home console systems (with the exception of the Wii launch where I will buy like 4 games).  But besides that initial thing, I will only buy one game at a time for all my home consoles combined (PS2, XBox 360, and Wii).  So, right now it is Okami.  Depending on when I finish that up, the next game will be either Splinter Cell: DA or Final Fantasy XII (If I finish Okami before FF comes out and I deem there is enough time to finish Splinter Cell before FF, I will buy it).  Then, it will probably be Gears of War after I finish whatever the game before turns out to be.  I need to break out of this cycle of having to buy all these games at launch and not really getting around to finishing any of them because I have so many to play and this is going ot be the way to do it.  Oh, one more exception is GH2, because...well, because it's GH2.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 05:17:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 05:14:37 PM

By the way, I have made the decision to implement this rule for all home console systems (with the exception of the Wii launch where I will buy like 4 games).  But besides that initial thing, I will only buy one game at a time for all my home consoles combined (PS2, XBox 360, and Wii).  So, right now it is Okami.  Depending on when I finish that up, the next game will be either Splinter Cell: DA or Final Fantasy XII (If I finish Okami before FF comes out and I deem there is enough time to finish Splinter Cell before FF, I will buy it).  Then, it will probably be Gears of War after I finish whatever the game before turns out to be.  I need to break out of this cycle of having to buy all these games at launch and not really getting around to finishing any of them because I have so many to play and this is going ot be the way to do it.  Oh, one more exception is GH2, because...well, because it's GH2.

Did you decide that in the past five minutes?  Uh, because in the other thread...

Quote from: The Grue
I should probably pick up Contact as well.

icon_wink

EDIT- Ah!  I see no mention of the DS in your list, so that must be an exception!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 05:17:56 PM

EDIT- Ah!  I see no mention of the DS in your list, so that must be an exception!

Yeah, this is strictly a home console thing.  My portables are exempt.  The games are much cheaper and I play my portables much more than my home consoles.  Plus they tend not to be the type of games that I feel I have to concentrate on.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 06:06:07 PM »

My wife and I talked about this last week and it was key in me getting a 360. I buy more than one game at a time, I have to finish any game I pay cash money for before getting a new one. I can't own more than 2 games for any one system. Prior games and systems are grandfathered in. I got to do the trade I consumated this week because, well I got 5 games for pretty much nothing. They get grandfathered in too, and since I am currently over the 2 title limit I can't get anymore games for the 360 until I get below that number.

receiving games for reviews etc. don't count.

So I have a row to hoe, so to speak. I've got about 8 PS2 games, a bunch of Cube games and no Gamecube  saywhat , and I will have my hands full of 360 games soon. I plan on making some choices on those 360 games by the end of the month and be down to 3 or so by Nov 1st.

I definately want to get my game owning down, and I've cleaned house a lot, I've traded in or sold to others well over 20 games in the past 2 weeks. I can actually fit all of my single cased games into my 25 dvd holder! It looks nicer around the TV too.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 20, 2006, 06:06:07 PM

I definately want to get my game owning down, and I've cleaned house a lot, I've traded in or sold to others well over 20 games in the past 2 weeks. I can actually fit all of my single cased games into my 25 dvd holder! It looks nicer around the TV too.

I did that last year before the 360 came out. I sold just over 100 games on half.com and traded in the 30 or so that weren't worth selling on half or didn't sell on half along with my xbox, gamecube and ps2 (and then I bought another ps2 for guitar hero (oops)). Now I'm not as strict as you are, trying to keep it to around 4-5 games at any one time, though the trub2g1 sale is gonna blow that (I'm thinkign of about 6 games that will be bought Sunday - ow), along with GH2 coming next month. On the flip side I have 3 weeks of vacation in December that I'm spending at home so I should catch up easily and my gamerscore is gonna fly!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2006, 02:57:02 PM »

GIVE IN.

Buy RAINBOW SIX : VEGAS.

Ooo, and buy me Mass Effect when it comes out.  :slywink:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2006, 03:13:18 PM »

Well, I finished Gears of War this morning so I'm on the prowl for my next title. However, I think I'm finally going to play Half Life 2 on XB1.

R6 V does look appealing but I'm gonna ride GoW multi and coop for a bit longer...

If not for the MP component, I'd feel pretty gypped on the length of GoW...that's for sure.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 05, 2006, 03:13:18 PM

Well, I finished Gears of War this morning so I'm on the prowl for my next title. However, I think I'm finally going to play Half Life 2 on XB1.

Wait for for the HL2, Ep1, Ep2, Portal, Team Fortress all in one SKU for the 360 which should hopefully be out next summer.  HL2 should not be experienced the original Xbox. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »

But it's paid for. So I'm gonna play it. Sooooooo there!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2006, 03:27:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 05, 2006, 03:20:27 PM

But it's paid for. So I'm gonna play it. Sooooooo there!

It couldn't have cost that much.  Trade it in or something.  If a 360 version wasn't coming, then Xbox HL2 is better than no HL2, but, as it is, there's so much better you could be spending your time with that you also probably already own. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »

Like Doom 3?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:29 PM »

Dark 3 was crap, and you know it. Half-Life 2 should actually be experienced on the PC where it belongs. But should your computer not be able to play it, for whatever reason, then hold off until summer like Kevin said. The way part 2 ends you'll want to play a sequel immediately and having it ready to go will be a good, good thing. You can even read my reviews if you don't believe me. :slywink:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »

If you don't get Rainbow 6 Vegas, ATB... I will be very upset. You won't like me when I'm upset.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2006, 04:05:18 PM »

Doomed 3 belongs on a used shelf somewhere.

Make it so.

Number One, I'm going to take a Number Two.
You have the bridge.

Spoiler for O DR GOD Y?:
Did I say that??? saywhat icon_redface

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2006, 04:08:12 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 05, 2006, 04:03:11 PM

If you don't get Rainbow 6 Vegas, ATB... I will be very upset. You won't like me when I'm upset.

Eddie. I love you so. Your 'R6 4 evar' message last night as I was getting my head blown off in GoW MP was very touching.

I don't know though that I'm up for another 3p shooter now. Unless someone can point me out a phat deal on the price...<cough>
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:15:45 PM by ATB » Logged
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I have spent too much on this hobby already.... could explain my recent game playing malaise.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2006, 05:54:56 PM »

well, for one thing you have a dancing mario avatar.

That might be the root cause.  :slywink:

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 05, 2006, 03:17:04 PM

HL2 should not be experienced the original Xbox. 
I thought it was a particularly well-done port, considering the hardware it had to work with.  Except for the initial loading time... get a book to read, 'cause you'll be waiting
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »

ATB - LMAO!!!

I used to follow this rule sort of normally, never thinking about it.  Just bought a game, played it until I was done with it - finished, hated, got tired of, whatever.  Then I'd buy another.

Then I joined GoneGold.... now I have a den full of games, rooms full of systems, every major handheld... and, well the Forum Effect!

What solved that was spending 12 bucks a month every month - not on a rental system, but on FFXI, as most of you know lol.  I have not bought a game since, haven't even downloaded any trailers, or kept up with all the info on this site.

So, ATB - the solution is simple... get EverCrack, or FFXI, or what's the funny name for World of Warcraft lol? Okay i know FFXI is the only 360 one...but that's the general idea. 

And, btw - good luck, more power to you!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2006, 10:11:56 PM »

As I've mentioned, I think it's a silly rule, just because you should have a football title, a racing title, etc., just to be able to play MP on, that you can't really "finish".

That said, I need to put some sort of brakes on my own out-of-hand game-buying.  I picked up MUA last night, a game I neither need, nor have the time to play, nor can really afford, just because I made the mistake of reading several threads saying how cool it was.  And I'm not even that much of a comic fan.

That said, ATB, if you pick up R6, I will buy it also.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2006, 10:41:51 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 05, 2006, 10:11:56 PM

That said, ATB, if you pick up R6, I will buy it also.

Soon Ike, Soon.   When there is a deal, I shall strike.

What's MUA?

Modify: Let me rephrase. When I'm bored with GoW I shall return to Dead Rising for a bit.  Then perhaps R6.  I'm actually eyeing Kameo...or COD 2...

But maybe...maybe r6.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:43:32 PM by ATB » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »

If you still have that Animal Crossing for the DS, I might want to work a trade with you for it in the future.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2006, 01:15:48 AM »

R6: Vegas.

That's it. No CoD2 for you. One Year.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 02:35:53 AM »

"You... You think you can get CoD2?"

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 05, 2006, 10:41:51 PM

What's MUA?

Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 05, 2006, 04:08:12 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 05, 2006, 04:03:11 PM

Eddie. I love you so. Your 'R6 4 evar' message last night as I was getting my head blown off in GoW MP was very touching.

I don't know though that I'm up for another 3p shooter now. Unless someone can point me out a phat deal on the price...<cough>

R6 isn't a 3p shooter, it's a fps
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2006, 05:18:25 PM »

An exciting update:

Upon further consideration, my backlog was much worse than originally reported as I did not include games that I was actively working on.  True counts including backlog and those in active rotation are significantly bigger.

However, I've decided to condense the nonsense.  My XB1 has been listed on Ebay and will close today.  As a result, I'm booting almost all of my XB1 backlog (despite BC options).

There are games on the PS2 that did not grab me like I hoped: Looking at you Okami and you Bully.  Those plus 3 others are listed.

DS: Finished a game and am selling a couple I'm working on that I don't care to finish.

So as of this writing, my true backlog = 8 Games
Add to that list the games I am actively playing across all platforms = 9

My total backlog/Active Game list is 17 games.  Not too shabby. 

Of those 17, there are 3 that I don't know if I'll go back to/finish: DQ8 (70 more hrs to go!?), Shadow Hearts Covenant (not grabbing me like the first one) and Guitar Hero II (I dunno what it is, but it's not nearly as charming as GH1).

My active list consists of the following:

Dead Rising (beaten, replaying)
Gears of War (beaten, replaying)
Elite Beat Agents (almost done)
New Super Mario Bros (bogged down somewhere)
Advanced Wars Dual Strike (3 or so more missions left)
Killer 7 (3 or so more missions)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (1/3 through the game)

The additional good news is that there's nothing out there now that I HAVE to have...so I'm in really good shape and the contest for all intents and purposes is over.

I have pared my BL down enough to create enough 30 dollar credits to afford me any 360 game...However, I'm not breaking my one game at a time rule as it has really afforded me the ability to sink my teeth into both DR and GoW.

It has been nice playing and it's good to almost have the monkey off my back.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:20:05 PM by ATB » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »

dammit.

That means I'll have to return the monkey.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 18, 2006, 05:18:25 PM

However, I've decided to condense the nonsense.  My XB1 has been listed on Ebay and will close today.  As a result, I'm booting almost all of my XB1 backlog (despite BC options).

Good man.  A book I read on life organization said that if you aren't using something, and don't feel compelled to go and use it, get rid of it because chances are you will never justify the time to use it.

I apply this logic to everything, and it works.  If you have a movie sitting on your shelf from Netflix or BBOnline, and can't get the motivation to watch it, simple send it back unwatched, and re-add it to the queue.  Very wise move, because keeping it just ties up your queue for way too long leaving stuff you DO have motivation to watch stuck in the queue.

Same works for games, if I look at a game on the shelf and think "I will probably play that, just not today.", and continue to keep doing that, you won't likely get struck by lightening in a few years and go "Say... Wasn't there a game I wanted to play from a couple years ago?".  Not gonna happen.

This helps condense life down to moments you enjoy, and less worry on things you need to get done for the sake of getting them done. Also much better on the pocketbook!

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2006, 06:22:04 PM »

Not if you keep rebuying the same thing it doesn't.

It's just like Lord of The Rings (book series)... there are two kinds of people: those who HAVE read it, and those who intend to.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2006, 09:28:29 PM »

Then there's those of us who are content with the film versions and have no desire to read the books. icon_twisted

As for the backlog, kudos to you in your thinning of the herd. I knocked off one more this weekend and it felt good to look at my console titles and see only five total unplayed sitting on the shelf. I do not include my PC games as part of my backlog so it's important to make that distinction. My PC games I play whenever and have a fairly healthy stack of them sitting on my desk. Were I to count those then my backlog leaps north of 10 and for the moment that just will not do.

My backlog goal is simple: Complete my console backlog, then move onto my PC one and finish that off. For the last two years I have actually gone out and purchased less than 10 games and as such my backlog is within sight of completion. God I love that feeling. It's almost... liberating. icon_cool

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2006, 10:21:49 PM »

You people with back-logs are sad.

... and now back to Black and White 2. slywink

I only have a few : Oblivion (PC), Titan Quest, HL Ep1, Enchanted Arms and RS:V.

Oh and the burger king games.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2006, 03:11:56 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 18, 2006, 09:28:29 PM

Then there's those of us who are content with the film versions and have no desire to read the books. icon_twisted

We have a word for those kinds of people: heathens!  The unwashed masses!  Heretics! 

I agree that if I'm not in the mood for a movie, it's best to send it back and re-add it to the queue.  If I let it sit until I am in the mood, it will most likely sit there for two weeks and not get watched. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: