http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:40:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Game At a Time: Updated. Backlog Pared Significantly!  (Read 5440 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

The 360 has not arrived yet (and if Amazon is accurate, it won't be here until mid- November), so that gives me some time to play my existing systems.

I intend GoW to be my first game on this console and I intend for it to be my ONLY game, until I've finished it.

I, vow, before all of my GT brothers, that I will not have a backlog for this console. EVER.

I've purchased two consoles this year already: PS2 and DSL.

PS2 backlog is currently: 10 Games (with probably 300 hrs of gameplay)

DSL backlog is currently: 8 games  (with probably 150 hrs of gameplay) <7 if you don't count Animal Crossing which I played for about 2 hrs and will probably never touch again>

Did I mention that I had an XBOX already?

XBOX Backlog is currently: 10 games (with probably 150 hrs of gameplay)

So, that said, I will not have more than one game at any point of time being actively played on the 360.

Caveats:

• If someone purchases me a game as a gift or sends me a game for free that will not count against the tally
  • XBOX Live arcade games may or may not count- I'm not familiar enough with what they actually are yet and will solicit you're advice as to whether they should.
  • If I complete or sell three (3) titles from my existing 3 console backlog, I am allowed to purchase one XBOX 360 game that is $30.00 or less + shipping
  • Open/Multi-player games will count toward the tally, but my judgement will determine whether an appropriate gameplay to cost ratio has been established (I don't forsee my buying many, if any of these)
  • Purchases of games for any other console do not count against the tally. Come on! Bully and GH2 are coming out!
  • Purchase of the Wii, any Wii accessories or any Wii games will not count against the tally

Contest:  If I buy an additional game for the 360 before I have completed the one in active play, I will buy one lucky person who posts in this thread a game of their choosing up to $60.00 + shipping.

Contest will be void upon completion or sale of all backlog games for other consoles. Caveats subject to change/revision (without changing over all contest parameters) based on suggestions from GT readers
This contest not endorsed/supported or otherwise underwritten by GamingTrend (though I will accept sponsorship offers  icon_wink).

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:18:56 PM by ATB » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:59:39 PM »

The Holiday season'll probably have plenty of deals for older 360 games.

You're totally going to buy more than just Gears of War.

Do Live Arcade games count?

TheMissingLink on PSN
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:00:36 PM »

You have 8-10 game backlogs for all current systems and you think you can avoid a any backlog at all for a new system... not a chance. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:02:39 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 05, 2006, 08:59:39 PM

"arcade" type games like Geometry Wars and other stuff you play over and over from the start and complete in a single sessions should not count. Anything with a definitive ending and limited replay where you can save and continue later should count (thinking games like Doom or Cloning Clyde here).

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:03:53 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 05, 2006, 09:00:36 PM

You have 8-10 game backlogs for all current systems and you think you can avoid a any backlog at all for a new system... not a chance. smile

That's the whole point. I don't want to tie up any more money in this hobby.  The incentive to me is a 60.00  hit if I break the rule.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:04:39 PM »

<Cough>. Read the OP.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:11:48 PM »

I've had my 360 since early August and do you know how many 360 games I've purchased?  Well I'll tell you.

NONE.

Gamefly my son.  It's a good thing.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2006, 08:57:00 PM

The 360 has not arrived yet (and if Amazon is accurate, it won't be here until mid- November), so that gives me some time to play my existing systems.
That's an error.  Call them and tell them to ship your 360 immediately, as the deal stated they would.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 09:21:55 PM »

Dead Rising!

(maybe I'll luck up and can actually get DR for the 360! smile )
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:47:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2006, 09:04:39 PM

<Cough>. Read the OP.

Sorry, there were too many bullets for me to read, so I didn't read any.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 09:49:19 PM »

What LE said regarding the console itself- the console is supposed to come now, but Gears won't ship until it comes out in November. 

Quote from: ATB
if you don't count Animal Crossing which I played for about 2 hrs and will probably never touch again>

Definitely don't get Viva Pinata then. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 09:53:21 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 05, 2006, 09:18:25 PM

That's an error.  Call them and tell them to ship your 360 immediately, as the deal stated they would.

I don't know that I want it yet, frankly.  A console with no game. What's the point!?  icon_biggrin

Modify: Of course, I could buy a game now and since GoW will be free I still stay in the contest!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »

GoW shouldn't spend too much time in your backlog - it's supposed to be only ~10 hours long.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 10:05:42 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 05, 2006, 10:02:00 PM

GoW shouldn't spend too much time in your backlog - it's supposed to be only ~10 hours long.

No, no, no!  Epic's Mark Rein took great pains to express that the rumors of it only being 10 hours is completely untrue.  It's actually 12 hours!  This 10 hours stuff is a complete misrepresentation!  [/sarcasm off]. 
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 10:09:58 PM »

Great goal!!  Good luck with it.

I own 2 games for my 360 right now, and one was a gift...  I've played about fifteen or so?  Between gamefly and trading things in, I just don't want to end up owning a ton of games at the end of the 360's lifecycle that I could've gotten $25 for when I was 'done' with them...

Not counting Live Arcade games...  I have bought maybe four or five of those.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 10:47:02 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 05, 2006, 09:11:48 PM

I've had my 360 since early August and do you know how many 360 games I've purchased?  Well I'll tell you.

NONE.

Gamefly my son.  It's a good thing.
Word... most 360 games so far have been fairly short, making them excellent rental titles.  Though I recently switched to Gameznflix.com - they're cheaper than gamefly, and have a shipping post 50 miles from my house.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 11:24:57 PM »

I think you could stick with this goal if it were for a few months, maybe.

But, ever?!

No way. Not with all the multiplayer awesomeness. Unless you cheat like Warning and stick with Gamefly rather than purchases.  icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 11:44:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2006, 10:05:42 PM

No, no, no!  Epic's Mark Rein took great pains to express that the rumors of it only being 10 hours is completely untrue.  It's actually 12 hours!  This 10 hours stuff is a complete misrepresentation!  [/sarcasm off]. 

10-12 hours is almost a perfect length for me.  15-20 is perfect.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 01:20:51 AM »

I have been trying to do the same exact thing with my PSP.   I have cheated a little bit because I don't consider sports games as ever being in a backlog because you can play them forever.  But I bought Daxter and finished it and then bought Syphon Filter and am still working on that because I got sidelined by Hot Shots.  My backlog on all my other consoles and PC is just silly and not getting any better.  I am hoping to do the same when I get a next gen console.  Good luck!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 01:38:01 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2006, 11:44:10 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2006, 10:05:42 PM

10-12 hours is almost a perfect length for me.  15-20 is perfect.

Ditto with me.  For most games that go up to 40+ hours of gameplay I end up either getting bored with it or side-tracked with something else and never going back to it.  I am much happier when I play a 15-20 hour game to completion and am still excited enough to replay it a bit. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 01:47:44 AM »

If you do get the console now and GoW later, you should get Dead Rising as your first game. You'll have plenty of time to finish it once before Nov. 12.

LiveTAG: happydog
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 02:35:20 AM »

I think he might be able to pull it off with the 360.  Games come out fairly spread out.  Still, I'm posting just in case, because I can't pass up the chance for a free game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 02:55:11 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2006, 09:53:21 PM

I don't know that I want it yet, frankly.  A console with no game. What's the point!?  icon_biggrin

Modify: Of course, I could buy a game now and since GoW will be free I still stay in the contest!
Well, the Shadow Hearts fans seemed to have enjoyed Enchanted Arms.  So if you're not jaded to the very core of your being regarding RPGs (or to put it another way, if you can handle patches of mediocrity), that might be a meaty first title choice.

There's Dead Rising, of course.  If you love zombies and/or causing hideously/hilariously gory carnage, it's a must-buy.  If you hate save points, timed anything, or the notion of replaying levels more than once, don't buy it.  If you both love and hate, rent it.

GRAW if you're a Tom Clancy nut.

Saint's Row if you enjoyed GTA3+.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 03:55:50 AM »

Within a 4 week timespan, there is the next Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Call of Duty 3, and GoW.   I don't see how it's possible to only buy 1 at a time.  Ok...I can see skipping at most 1 title of these (a lot of people seem to have WWII burnout).

- shaggy

P.S.  Game idea......Burnout Revenge.....in WWII vehicles!

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 04:25:19 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 06, 2006, 02:35:20 AM

I think he might be able to pull it off with the 360.  Games come out fairly spread out.  Still, I'm posting just in case, because I can't pass up the chance for a free game.

Go look at the coming releases, esp for November- the 360 library is about to grow geometrically. 

I'm wondering what the sports game/ driving game completion state will be.

And I can't figure out whether Oblivion would be a good purchase or not.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:26:55 AM by Pyperkub » Logged

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 04:42:35 AM »

Good luck with this.  Lots of good 360 games coming up, it could be hard.

Oh wait, I posted in the thread.  Well, if your resolve falters and afterward you randomly pick me just donate some cash to a local charity.  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »

for live arcade games you could always just get the 200 gamer points before moving on.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »

I've had my 360 since March, and own about 8 or 9 games for it.  I figure that's roughly a game per month, and it convinced me that I could save money by Gamefly'ing, so I signed up for it last week.

It also has the added bonus of getting me games that I wouldn't otherwise have played due to mediocre reviews or gameplay descriptions that I'm not exactly sure I'll like.  In both cases, I'd never plunk down $40-60, but I'm willing to add it to my Q and check it out for a couple of days.

ATB, your goal is noble, but you underestimate the Forum Effect.  I don't think you'll be able to do it.  And to clarify, are you done with a game when you are no longer interested in playing it, when you've completed the main storyline (excluding any side missions if available), or when you've achieved all of the achievements that could be reasonably achieved (excluding ridiculous ones like 'be #1 on the leaderboard for this game').
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:58:11 AM by DonD » Logged

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »

• Purchase of the Wii, any Wii accessories or any Wii games will not count against the tally

Hah! Now you're taking the easy way out  icon_twisted

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 05, 2006, 09:47:33 PM

Sorry, there were too many bullets for me to read, so I didn't read any.

Yeah, TML is hardcore. Hardcore people don't read bullet points. Hardcore people EAT bullet-points for breakfast.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 12:04:35 PM »

Good luck with this ATB. I've tried in the past to do something like this....but I am a weak man....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2006, 12:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on October 06, 2006, 04:25:19 AM

And I can't figure out whether Oblivion would be a good purchase or not.

For me personally it was -- it took me about 3-4 months to finish and I enjoyed every minute.  But once I finished the main missions, I knew I was DONE with it, and traded it in towards my next game. 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 01:10:35 PM »

Quote from: DonD on October 06, 2006, 10:55:41 AM

And to clarify, are you done with a game when you are no longer interested in playing it, when you've completed the main storyline (excluding any side missions if available), or when you've achieved all of the achievements that could be reasonably achieved (excluding ridiculous ones like 'be #1 on the leaderboard for this game').

Every game I buy, I have the intention of playing it all the way through until the story is over, the credits roll and any surprises after the credits occur.  Then a game is done.  Games like Brain Age with no solid ending just reach a point where it's no longer fun or interesting (for Brain age specificially it was 5 weeks or so).

On a very rare occaison, will I pop a game and be done with it after just a few hours and never touch it again: Soul Caliber II, FF VII and (possibly) Animal Crossing WW come to mind.

Within a 4 week timespan, there is the next Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Call of Duty 3, and GoW.

Only CoD3 interests me on that list as GoW is already purchased.  So hurraya for me!

Well, the Shadow Hearts fans seemed to have enjoyed Enchanted Arms.  So if you're not jaded to the very core of your being regarding RPGs (or to put it another way, if you can handle patches of mediocrity), that might be a meaty first title choice.

There's Dead Rising, of course.  If you love zombies and/or causing hideously/hilariously gory carnage, it's a must-buy.  If you hate save points, timed anything, or the notion of replaying levels more than once, don't buy it.  If you both love and hate, rent it.

The only zombie exposure I have, really, is Shaun of the Dead which I loved.  The save game system on DR is causing this to be a purchase at some time down the road when it's cheap.  As for enchanted arms, i really need to stop buying RPGs for a while as I have many in my backup and the time commitment to play them is prohibitive to this contest (for me)  icon_biggrin
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

Good idea and I wish you luck.  But the concept of 'completion' is somewhat blurred with the introduction of the Achievements. Is a game complete with a certain percentage of the Achievements obtained or just finishing the main story/campaign/season/etc?  Honestly I feel a game is complete with the latter qualification plus a personally satisfying effort put in to the extra goals.  I have found that I now play games longer due to the Achievement system, and I subsequently feel like I've gotten more gameplay for my money.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »

As I have no interest in achievements at this point, that hasn't factored into the equation for me.  I don't see the value of getting achievement points, nor do I see myself going nuts to earn them.  If they can be earned playing through the game as I normally would, fine. If they can be achieved by doing a simple 'side quest' sure.  But I don't see myself bothering to be honest.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 06, 2006, 04:30:18 PM

As I have no interest in achievements at this point, that hasn't factored into the equation for me.  I don't see the value of getting achievement points, nor do I see myself going nuts to earn them.  If they can be earned playing through the game as I normally would, fine. If they can be achieved by doing a simple 'side quest' sure.  But I don't see myself bothering to be honest.

What, you don't think 1000 headshots is reasonable for GRAW?  Yea, me neither.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »

Until you see that little bubble popup with the pleasing "bloop" sound........."Achievement Earned".

Strangely addicting....and I don't know why.

- shaggy

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 05:56:07 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on October 06, 2006, 05:03:50 PM

Until you see that little bubble popup with the pleasing "bloop" sound........."Achievement Earned".

Strangely addicting....and I don't know why.

- shaggy

Agreed.  And I don't know why either.

Here's the thing.  I find consoles optimal for racing and sports games.  I currently own 5 games for my 360.  DR is the only one I've "finished".  2 are racing games I'm still working my way through and 1 is NCAA (football) 07.  The last is Saints Row.  So even though I've only finished 1 of the 5 360 games I own, I don't consider it a backlog if I'm still playing the other 4.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 10:00:36 AM »

Update:

Well, instead of waiting around on Amazon, I jumped on the 360+3 games for 459.00 shipped from outpost.

I'm planning on selling Saint's Row and Test Drive Unlimited on Ebay and making Dead Rising my first 'next gen' experience.

Hopefully, I'll find time to have it done by GoW's release date.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 01:59:07 PM »

Wow! It just arrived!  Two days later and it's here. Amazing!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: