http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:20:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMGZ!! Sony will release defective cell processors in PS3!!  (Read 1411 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:05:43 PM »

Okay that's a bit much but I can already see the misinterpretations that will start flying around.

According to GameSpot Kutaragi was recently interviewed about the PS3 cell processor:
Kutaragi stated earlier that although the Cell microprocessor comes with eight synergistic processor elements (SPEs) for multicore processing, the chip only uses seven of them. Kutaragi explained that ignoring one SPE as a redundancy will improve the chip's production yield and allow costs to drop dramatically. In other words, Sony can ship a Cell chip with one defective SPE (out of its eight) as a working product, since the chip only uses seven SPEs to begin with.

"This is the ultimate aesthetic. The number of SPEs we equip to the Cell and how many we will actually use are two different things. I wanted to adopt the idea of 'redundancy' to the development of semiconductors. Logic LSIs, excluding memory chips, are considered defective and unshippable if just one transistor or line doesn't work. If the Cell's final chip dimension is about 200 square millimeters, making one without any defects is extremely difficult. We can't reach our anticipated production yield with that. Of course, we'll take various measures to lower the defect density, but that won't be enough. But by considering one or two SPEs as a redundancy from the very beginning, we can still use a Cell chip even if it's partially defective," Kutaragi said, who also revealed that a similar scheme would also be used for the PlayStation 3's RSX graphics processor.

Interesting stuff indeed.  Flame on!
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 03:37:38 AM »

Nvidia's already been doing the same thing on the 6800's.  In fact, some people have found ways to unlock the unused core.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:48:38 AM »

Nothing surprising. Thats pretty much common practice with CPUs and graphics chips.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
Nvidia's already been doing the same thing on the 6800's.  In fact, some people have found ways to unlock the unused core.

Yeah, I tried this last fall when I got my Dell w/ 6800, but it immediately produced screen artifacts in my case.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 01:33:22 PM »

Is it possible to learn this power?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Well... you could click on the link embedded in "ways to unlock" in the quote above.

biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 01:53:06 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Well... you could click on the link embedded in "ways to unlock" in the quote above.

Pff, you think that response is going to make it in the trailer?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 05:23:44 PM »

Not from a Console Gold Moderator.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 05:29:20 PM »

eight synergistic processor elements (SPEs) for multicore processing

These engineers seriously need to get laid... synergistic processor elements?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Interesting stuff indeed.  Flame on!

Lol,.. Flame on... I thought you were talking about the upcoming FF4 movie smile

I'm hoping the processors are for the most part working so I can make it froma PS3 into a PS3.1415179.... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

Not from a Console Gold Moderator.

We demand blood sacrifices and cash donations before we even consider letting you learn.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 05:58:28 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
I'm hoping the processors are for the most part working so I can make it froma PS3 into a PS3.1415179.... smile

mmmm, pie.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: