http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 12:58:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMG. MS Repair royally screwed this kid  (Read 4146 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

http://hawtymcbloggy.com/2008/02/28/another-gamer-screwed-by-microsoft/

Going from this:

to this:

Is one easy step - send it in for repair.  Apparently cleaning is free...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »

Oh snap!

While Ron pointed it out, according to the article he got the exact same console back. They just cleaned it for him before returning it. Even though it had signatures from Bungie, the Xbox 360 team, and a picture from Rooster Teeth Comics on it.

Go Microsoft go!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

damn

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »

Should have used permanent marker.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:27 PM »

It was permanent marker!

It's too hard to believe that someone would go through that much trouble to erase the signatures.  I'm putting my money on someone swiping the case and adding those permanent marker removal smudges to make it look like it was just accidentally cleaned.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 29, 2008, 02:14:27 PM

It was permanent marker!

It's too hard to believe that someone would go through that much trouble to erase the signatures.  I'm putting my money on someone swiping the case and adding those permanent marker removal smudges to make it look like it was just accidentally cleaned.

+1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 29, 2008, 02:14:27 PM

It was permanent marker!

That is ROUGH, but likely true.  Oof....that hurts. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:50 PM »

I love this guy's comment:

I would bet money that whoever did that took the signed case and has it at home. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see that case on eBay, knowing the intelligence level of the Microsoft repair center employees first-hand.

It's obvious the case was stolen-nobody would  try to clean off something that obviously wasn't there accidently.  I doubt the Microsoft guys would do anything even if there was a big coffee stain across the front of it.

Obviously further proof that Microsoft is the devil.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »

that's what the kid gets for customizing his 360.  If you ask me he had it coming.

(that was sarcasm BTW)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 03:37:53 PM »

If this story is legit, it's going to get digg'ed and the kid will get a new, signed cover in 3 weeks.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »

I read that article this morning.  I loved how you thought you knew where the story was going and then it turned out much, much unbelievably worse.

The only thing against the theory that someone stole it is that the serial numbers on the case match the one he sent in.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »

I can actually believe that some grunt, believing he was doing his job, cleaned the thing spotless.  Somewhere, some poor guy making minimum wage, probably has a stack of consoles he spends all day cleaning.  If your job is to polish used consoles, you'd probably leave your brains at the door on the way into work.  Microsoft "special care" is probably some guy with bad handwriting putting a post-it-note on the back of the box saying "retrn too same guy"

I mean, it does make sense that they'd clean all the units they receive, since most people get back a different unit then they send in.  I already don't like the fact I own a unit that belonged to someone else, I'd be even more upset if it still had all their fingerprints and marks on it.  In *most* cases people are probably grateful for 360 cleaning guy. smile

Well, time to give the guy more work I guess.  When my next one dies, I'm spending a day drawing the most innapropriate images all over my case.  Something along the lines of Tom Green's Slut Mobile (NSFW).

16-bit and loving it!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

What If the kid did it himself to garner attention?  Just as plausible as someone at MS erasing it for....fun.

morlac00 on PSN
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on February 29, 2008, 04:30:33 PM

I can actually believe that some grunt, believing he was doing his job, cleaned the thing spotless. 

It actually makes sense if you think about it.

The repair center spends all day receiving defective 360s, refurbishing them, and sending them back to the original owner.

I imagine that in the process of fixing this 360, they take the case off, and the case itself has to be cleaned (to remove stickers and writing) because the case and 360 do not normally go back to the same person. I'm pretty sure that after going through what has to be a million 360s by now if not more, these guys have it down to a brain-numbing science.

This person requested his original 360 back, and got the same fixed 360 serial # back. I highly doubt those smudges are from his permanent markers though - it could easily be from someone else's.

Someone dropped the ball clearly, but I imagine it's like going out to Burger King and asking for No Tomatoes. 50% of the time you still get tomatoes because that's just how the job is done. You can't hate the worker for missing that because their job is painful enough as it is.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 05:04:08 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 29, 2008, 04:58:32 PM

I can actually believe that some grunt, believing he was doing his job, cleaned the thing spotless. 

It actually makes sense if you think about it.

The repair center spends all day receiving defective 360s, refurbishing them, and sending them back to the original owner.

I imagine that in the process of fixing this 360, they take the case off, and the case itself has to be cleaned (to remove stickers and writing) because the case and 360 do not normally go back to the same person. I'm pretty sure that after going through what has to be a million 360s by now if not more, these guys have it down to a brain-numbing science.

This person requested his original 360 back, and got the same fixed 360 serial # back. I highly doubt those smudges are from his permanent markers though - it could easily be from someone else's.

Someone dropped the ball clearly, but I imagine it's like going out to Burger King and asking for No Tomatoes. 50% of the time you still get tomatoes because that's just how the job is done. You can't hate the worker for missing that because their job is painful enough as it is.

Ah, see, that's where you and I differ.  I can hate the worker.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »

When you think about it, it was a bit stupid to get his 360 signed. I mean, the cover of Halo 3 I would understand, but your hardware?

Honestly, would you get your microwave oven signed by Martha Stewart?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 29, 2008, 05:38:05 PM

When you think about it, it was a bit stupid to get his 360 signed. I mean, the cover of Halo 3 I would understand, but your hardware?

Hell YEAH I would! Think of the loot!

LiveTAG: happydog
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Argh, that totally sucks.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 05:56:37 PM »

I wonder if he got MS to commit to sending him back the same console before he sent it in? Because otherwise it was a crapshoot if he would have even got the same console back anyway.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 29, 2008, 05:38:05 PM

The thing is is that your microwave would last longer than a first-gen 360. I don't even want to know how old the one we have at work is. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »

I can actually believe that some grunt, believing he was doing his job, cleaned the thing spotless.  Somewhere, some poor guy making minimum wage.
If that.  The repair center *is* in Texas.

Personally, I blame the Dutch.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 29, 2008, 06:02:32 PM

The thing is is that just about any appliance or piece of electronics equipment you can think of would last longer than a first-gen 360

fixed...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 29, 2008, 05:56:37 PM

I wonder if he got MS to commit to sending him back the same console before he sent it in? Because otherwise it was a crapshoot if he would have even got the same console back anyway.

Well, I had the repair center commit to overnight shipping.  Yea...that ended up being ground shipping both ways.  Even getting that verbal commitment is worth less than the paper it isn't printed on.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »

As much as I hate saying the 'L' word, it's time for him or his parents to visit a lawyer. I could see where a good lawyer could argue that a 360 with that artwork and autographs would potentially have a much higher future value. Considering the blockbuster hit that Halo 3 was, they should demand mucho bucks!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »

He took the risk when he sent it in. If it was that important, he could have bought a new one.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »

I love how melodramatic headline picked for the article. As if Microsoft had purposefully gone out of its way to f!ck with poor Nathaniel. I'm sure somewhere in Redmond there is a PowerPoint presentation covering Vista updates and screwing Nathaniel.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »

Quote from: Jag on February 29, 2008, 09:09:59 PM

He took the risk when he sent it in. If it was that important, he could have bought a new one.

Exactly. I have a set of comic art with signatures of the team that worked on the book. When I went to get it framed, I made damned sure I didn't just give it to my local Michael's Arts and Crafts Frame department. I paid extra to insure it was handled by absolute professionals.

It it was THAT important, he should have contacted a supervisor, and had the package sent in c/o the manager's name. When I worked in Distribution management I received a handful of requests from customer's requesting special attention. When justifiable I would have their item sent directly to my office for processing.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:19:57 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »

What If the kid did it himself to garner attention?  Just as plausible as someone at MS erasing it for....fun.

If this story is legit, it's going to get digg'ed and the kid will get a new, signed cover in 3 weeks.

As much as I hate saying the 'L' word, it's time for him or his parents to visit a lawyer.

Put the three of these together and it pretty well describes why I'm a little skeptical of all these shenanigans. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 29, 2008, 09:25:17 PM

As much as I hate saying the 'L' word, it's time for him or his parents to visit a lawyer.

Put the three of these together and it pretty well describes why I'm a little skeptical of all these shenanigans. 

True or not, the story was posted to GAF, where there are Bungie reps as members, and they have already started putting something together to send him.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 10:06:41 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 29, 2008, 09:14:01 PM

I love how melodramatic headline picked for the article. As if Microsoft had purposefully gone out of its way to f!ck with poor Nathaniel. I'm sure somewhere in Redmond there is a PowerPoint presentation covering Vista updates and screwing Nathaniel.
At least it's not as bad as the headline at the always attention-whoring Destructoid - "Microsoft repair center rapes one of a kind Xbox 360"

Yes, removing a sharpie drawing is now equivalent to violent sexual assault.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 11:05:25 PM »

Is the serial number actually printed on the case itself?
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 29, 2008, 11:05:25 PM

There's a sticker on the back of the box with the serial number.  I don't think it would be very easy to peel off and place on another system.

The easiest way for the kid to check would be to see if his Arcade games work in offline mode.  If they don't, it's a new box with a different internal serial number.  If they still work, then its the same hardware.

16-bit and loving it!
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 12:30:21 AM »

Here's another kid who got screwed - just by his parents.

When you were a kid did your parents ever do anything mean to you for their own amusement? Whatever it was, something tells us it wasn't as evil as what Jonathan's (above) family did on Christmas morning, having him unwrap an empty Xbox box with some shirts inside -- while on video, mind you -- and then everyone laughing at him when he got upset and cried over being hoodwinked.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on March 01, 2008, 12:06:22 AM

Quote from: Canuck on February 29, 2008, 11:05:25 PM

There's a sticker on the back of the box with the serial number.  I don't think it would be very easy to peel off and place on another system.

The easiest way for the kid to check would be to see if his Arcade games work in offline mode.  If they don't, it's a new box with a different internal serial number.  If they still work, then its the same hardware.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone stole his Xbox.  They're saying that they literally took the casing off and put another one on.  If it's anything like you can do with a computer tower then it would be quite easy.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 01:08:57 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 01, 2008, 01:02:27 AM

I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone stole his Xbox.  They're saying that they literally took the casing off and put another one on.  If it's anything like you can do with a computer tower then it would be quite easy.

And for reference - yes, the 360 case is relatively easy to remove (with instructions at least) so you can put your own on.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 01:48:42 AM »

It's very easy to remove permanent market with rubbing alchohol. Trust me, I have an autistic son that LOVES to draw on things.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 03:49:29 AM »

If you look at some of the comments left on the 360, it could explain why it was wiped off.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 03:55:29 AM by ChaoZ » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 03:57:59 AM »

Ha!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 06:21:09 AM »

Isn't it more likely that when the consoles are getting repaired the outer shells are seperated from the main board, and when it was finished and put back together it was replaced with another outer case from the pile as they made sure to send the same console serial number back to him? 

And do you really think that the person working the thankless job in the repair center is really going to take the time to read a 6-paragraph letter packed in with a console? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 07:19:36 AM »

Heh I know how this person feels, for it happened to me when i got the RRoD... (red ring of death)

I customized my faceplace (hard enamel panted and all)  omg it was beautiful....

I sent it in and got a brand new...white.... faceplate.....

I think they just print out a new sticker and replace all of the case parts b/c there were a blue wax pencil mark that I could never get off... and its magically clean...

/cry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: