http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:28:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omerta - City of Gangsters [PC/X360]  (Read 763 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:04 PM »

Home link

I've been keeping my eye out for this game since last fall when I first saw it being discussed as "a simulation game with tactical turn-based combat".  Today (Jan 14th) Steam News announced it was available for pre-order at 15% off with a release date of January 31st. The X360 version is apparently coming out in the US on February 12th. These folks IIRC did Tropico 3 and 4 and I thought they did a good job on the latter. Anyone else thinking about getting it?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:37:57 AM »

I kind of reminds me of Gangsters I loved that game. kalypso games on a action game of this calibar hmmmm. I ll have to wait on the reviews.
Dont get me wrong I love kalypso games Tropico, Patrician, Dungeons, Port Royale, & Air Plane Tycoon.
Its just now a day a man got to watch his spending If I am a but a new PC game it gotta be Damn Good. or I ll catch it on a steam sale.
I ll be watching it though.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
PS3 Spinks
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »

Way, way interested in this.  Looks like it could be great.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:47:42 AM »

For the Steam version, if you go to greenmangaming, you can get it cheaper.

They have the same 15% discount but then you can use 25% preorder discount coupon GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1 and bring the price down to $25.50.

In addition you can get either $2 cash back or $3 store credit.

So price after the cash back is $23.50 or $22.50 if you choose store credit.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:14:45 AM »

So I've been following this game and the game play is right up my ally. Steam has it for $34.00 I am going bit the bullet on this one.
It will hold me over until SimCity.
the links below are gameplay for the first 2 missions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e77FlAaXYY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_137123&feature=iv&src_vid=3e77FlAaXYY&v=QTe4_G_kWU0

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
PS3 Spinks
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on January 15, 2013, 03:47:42 AM

For the Steam version, if you go to greenmangaming, you can get it cheaper.

Thanks for that... boughted for $25.50 and a $3 credit. My only issue with GMG is I always get "stuck" on the "Hang on we are processing your order" screen. It will cycle through those little green lights for as long as I let it. Eventually I'll refresh the page and I'll get the confirmation screen. Every time.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on January 20, 2013, 06:14:45 AM

So I've been following this game and the game play is right up my ally. Steam has it for $34.00 I am going bit the bullet on this one.
It will hold me over until SimCity.
the links below are gameplay for the first 2 missions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e77FlAaXYY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_137123&feature=iv&src_vid=3e77FlAaXYY&v=QTe4_G_kWU0

I didn't watch all the video since I didn't want to see any spoilers, but I do like the XCOM Enemy Unknown like combat. I'll be giving this one a try.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »

Just a heads up to folks like me who might be interested in the Sandbox mode of Omerta, the following was posted over on the Kalypso forum by someone official:

Individual districts of the city are available for sandbox games. These scenarios end once you have complete control over the district. There are various computer-controlled entities present on the map, but no opposing gang that acts the same way as the player.

There are IIRC 20 districts in the city, so you can play in Sandbox mode in each one, but not over the whole city. This was posted at the bottom of the thread:

HisShadowX Wrote:  Yes a story is great but I like a story and a sandbox game

Both of these are in Omerta. When you're done playing through the story campaign with all kinds of various character traits, backgrounds and gang members, you can always jump in to a custom sandbox game.

All I'm saying is that for me personally, unlike in a game such as Tropico, the appeal of Omerta lies more in the singe player campaign and narrative, but obviously that's coming from someone who has put dozens if not hundreds of hours into the game throughout its development.

I don't think there's anything bad with this, but this clarification does say (to me at least) that the Sandbox mode here isn't like the Sandbox mode in Tropico.

Update: Also found this in an interview over on Strategy Informer:
Strategy Informer: Speaking of the sandbox mode – having played the game we can’t help but feel it’s a little weak right now. Limited map choice and there’s no real ‘point’ it – no meta-game or anything, you only build and expand until there’s literally nothing else you can do, and even that doesn’t take long. What are your thoughts on this?

Bisser Dyankov: We designed the sandbox feature to let the player freely explore the game world, give them the possibility to test the mechanics and brush up on their own strategy. We also wanted to leave the player space to create their own fiction inside the world of Omerta, because in the campaign mode we have so many predefined situations that the player can only play through. We felt it was important to let them be able to create their own crime city.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »

Heads up, folks, there's a PC demo available as of today for Omerta icon_smile. Just under 800 MBs. Downloading now from Gamers Hell, very fast.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:09:16 AM »

I played the demo a couple of times and have somewhat mixed feelings about it. If you watched the first video listed a few messages above you pretty much saw what was in the demo. As a tutorial mission it leads you through the mechanics of getting a hideout, raiding breweries and warehouses to get beer and liquor and then shows you how to sell it on the jobs screen, which is sort of a strategic level where opportunities to buy and sell beer, liquor and guns pop up somewhat randomly. There are several in-mission objectives that lead you through the process. Not too bad, and not all that complex: buy low (or steal it), sell high.

There were in my first playthrough of the demo three combat missions. The first one was the combat tutorial, then a sort of optional fight, then what was I guess intended to be the final fight where if you win it, you win the mission. I lost both times so I don't know if there is anything else to the demo, but I got the impression that this last combat mission was the end of it.

The tactical combat is... well, odd. There are attributes like defensive bonuses and offensive bonuses and health restorers you can get as perks when you level up, so that's nice. And apparently there are a mix of weapons. However, there is no opportunity fire mechanic. You can plop down behind furniture and end your turn and in the next turn an enemy (turns are per character, not per side) can run in through a door, run past you and kick you from behind or shoot you from behind, basically ignoring the cover you so carefully crouched behind. It's rather irritating. Maybe opportunity fire is introduced as a perk at a higher level, but right now I don't see it being available and that's a bummer.

So, not a glowing recommendation from me, but maybe there's more depth to the tactical combat than indicated in the demo. And maybe the main campaign has more bells and whistles. We'll see.

UPDATE: Apparently if you win that final tactical combat I mentioned above it unlocks another mission which expansions on the business gameplay. I've now played the demo three times and haven't been able to win that combat and go onto the second mission disgust. In the full game you can just reload your autosave and try and try again, so I can't fault them for that, however, in the demo there is no autosave or saving at all, so if you blow the combat at the end of the first mission you have to replay the whole first mission again <sigh>.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:36:50 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »

I got this through Steam earlier today. It is my sad duty to tell you that it isn't worth full price icon_frown. It might not even be worth half off crybaby.

Assuming you were interested enough to play the demo, you can look at my comments above since the full game's first mission is exactly the demo. Further observations are as follows:

- No manual. Nada. None. This isn't Call of Duty, there are aspects of the game that do have to be explained. More on that below. There isn't even a hotkey list. There is in-game help, but that only pertains to character traits, perks and other items that are involved in tactical combat.

- From PC Gamer: "A combination of distinctive weapons, solid AI, plausible friendly-fire risks, and interesting damage twists (concussion, panic, blood loss... ) mean Omerta can hold its head up in the company of XCOM, Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm.". No it can't. I have played those three games, sir, and you are no Jack... oops, sorry, I meant Omerta's tactical combat doesn't hold a candle to those. Oh, it has a lot of bells and whistles, but they don't really do much for the tactical game.

- The main gameplay comes on the district level map. That's the one showing all the buildings. Unfortunately there is no way to keep track of which types of buidlings are on the map except to move your viewpoint around the map looking for them. And even once you find a particular building you are looking for, say the residence of a deputy, any time after that you want to go back to it to activate one of it's actions, you have to search for it on the map again. The mini-map doesn't help except to show there is some kind of building there.

- Another irritation. There are Joints and Premises. You buy those to set up your own warehouses, safe houses, businesses, etc. Except that each one of those businesses requires either a joint or a premises, but can't be built on the other type. And since there is no manual, you sometimes buy the wrong type and don't know it till you try to set up an establishment and find out it was the other type you should have bought.

I could go on, but it's just more of the same. I've played three missions, which means I've completed three district maps. I think there are 15 or 20 of them. I'll keep slogging through the game, but I'm not optimistic anything is going to get much better. Maybe if I HAD A DAMN MANUAL I'd know what was coming up...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:54 AM »

maybe it'll be up soon.  GOG is advertising a manual as part of the game extras.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2013, 03:09:54 AM

maybe it'll be up soon.  GOG is advertising a manual as part of the game extras.

The shame is that I posted earlier on Kalypso's own Omerta forum about the lack of a manual and no one official has said boo about it.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 01, 2013, 03:01:58 AM

Analysis

Thanks for taking one for the team...   Maybe patching will fix the issues, but from the sound of it I am out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Eurogamer just gave it a 3/10.

Sounds like they'd have to patch a whole other game onto it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »

That review made it sound really awful.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on February 01, 2013, 05:03:02 PM

That review made it sound really awful.

I don't think it's a 3/10 game, more like a 6/10. It has a somewhat interesting business mode that is let down by a bad interface. I shouldn't have to search the map over and over to find certain buildings each time. The relationship between functions of certain buildings is briefly mentioned but instead should be more thoroughly presented. And so on and so forth. There are some good things in there, but it really lacks the flavor after a while. You just keep setting up businesses till you reach the critical point, after which the money just rolls in and you have little interest in doing anything else other than sitting back and waiting.

The tactical combat has some good features, but has too many bells and whistles that are of little use. Also the AI is pretty good at times, seeking cover and flanking, then does something dumb like running up right into the middle of my guys to beat on one of them, which gets him killed as soon as it's the turn of my guys. And there is such a disparity in weapons. For instance, I was getting the short end of several battles because my three guys only had revolvers. I got a chance to add one more guy, and I selected a guy with a rifle. So in my next battle I set up the rifle guy to shoot the baddies while my other three guys hung back. Sure, it's good tactics, but why wouldn't I just equip everyone with rifles? Because that's something that comes as a perk later on. It's frustrating.

Probably the most frustrating thing about the game is that you can see where they went wrong. The decision to make the campaign be a series of strung together missions on different district maps means that whatever happened on the previous maps makes no difference except that you bring along the same guys in your gang from map to map. There's no sense of building an empire. Also, there are no competing gangs, other than scripted events. You don't feel like you are competing against an AI opponent, just the game system. This works ok in some games, like Tropico, but in a gangster game you just feel like you are going through the mechanics.

I do have to qualify the above to say that those opinions are based on playing four of the fifteen (or twenty?) missions of the game. Maybe it gets better, but I'm not seeing it right now.

Also, THERE'S NO DAMN MANUAL!

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »

For those still thinking about this game, there's been another major update released by the developer. From what I've heard these changes are making the game much more interesting than it was. I'm a bit too busy with a new alpha release to Prison Architect myself to check out the changes, but maybe the one or two other people that bought the game might want to check it out icon_wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: