http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: older games from steam, work on windows 7 64 bit? (disciples 2, homm5 etc.) ;)  (Read 6023 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:37:32 PM »

Just wanted to toss in a quick question.  Believe it or not I do not know jack about steam.

I am running windows 7 64 bit.      Do most of the older games run ok on the newer operating systems?  Or is it hit and miss?

I was just eyeballing disciples 2 gold and homm5..

Those too far behind the times that I need to research some other fantasy based RTS thats a little more modern?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:35:25 PM by Morgul » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »

I've found the best bet to see if a Steam game works on a particular OS is usually to check the Steam forum for that game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 02:48:01 PM »

With Steam, I'd echo the suggestion to check the Steam forums or the Steam support sections (sometimes a game will have a Q&A list for common questions), if something isn't compatible with 64-bit OSs or Windows 7, no doubt a lot of people will be hollering about it.

If you mean really, really old games, then GoG might be a better bet. They supposedly do some programming tweaks to ensure all the games they offer work in Vista 32 and 64 bit (and XP), which I assume means they would work in Windows 7, but currently they don't bill "Windows 7 compatibility" specifically (http://www.gog.com/en/about_us/#4).

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

I'm sorry. If you have a 65-bit system, I'm afraid you won't find many games that work with it. If you have a 64-bit system however, all bets are off. slywink
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 28, 2010, 02:48:01 PM

They supposedly do some programming tweaks to ensure all the games they offer work in Vista 32 and 64 bit (and XP), which I assume means they would work in Windows 7

This is definitely not something to count on.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »

Ok, I will browse around...   Just got a itch for a Turn based strategy game.  No idea if there is a new one out that is good (newer then disciples 2 anyways)  Swords/sorcery..

You know, the warlords/homm/age of wonders type of game...    
My son is nine and beat for the first time at table top RISK the other night and its time to get him into something on the computer.  slywink

(Yea I know, used to once you mastered RISK it was time for tabletop Axis and Allies in the old school, but we gonna move straight into the 90's...)  lol
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

And yea, someone must teach the next generation about turn based strategy so the old grandpas got someones ass to kick on a friday night after sucking down their maalox..
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »

So, would you risk this if you had, ermm, 64 bit windows 7?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=405

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 28, 2010, 02:48:01 PM

With Steam, I'd echo the suggestion to check the Steam forums or the Steam support sections (sometimes a game will have a Q&A list for common questions), if something isn't compatible with 64-bit OSs or Windows 7, no doubt a lot of people will be hollering about it.

If you mean really, really old games, then GoG might be a better bet. They supposedly do some programming tweaks to ensure all the games they offer work in Vista 32 and 64 bit (and XP), which I assume means they would work in Windows 7, but currently they don't bill "Windows 7 compatibility" specifically (http://www.gog.com/en/about_us/#4).
I see heroes 3 there for 10 bucks..   I wish I knew for sure it would work on win7 64

Cause, that be a steal..
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »

GOG.com also has community forums where you can check on or ask about compatibility issues.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 14, 2010, 03:21:52 PM

GOG.com also has community forums where you can check on or ask about compatibility issues.

I googled it, and looks like heroes 3 from gog is unsupported for windows7 64,  But allot people say it works, with the occasional crash to desktop every 4 or 5 hours...   Which is fine by me.  small price to pay for a fine game like heroes 3 imo.

That heroes 5 from steam looks risky...   some seem to be saying its fine, others are getting music loops since latest direct x, etc...

I buying torchlight from steam (played demo the other night and liked it), heroes 3 from gog,  original kings bounty from steam and then...  

I must either risk homm 5 not working on windows 7 64, or risk discliples 3 being a crappy game...  
 I am waiting for more reviews on our little disciples thread below...   So I will hold off on the final decision till next payday.  icon_biggrin

I will let you all know how it works for them all
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »

Well I couldnt get steam to take my debit card or paypal..  it just kept saying denied.   I tried about 10 times, then opened up a ticket with them.

Ended up at a website called "gamersgate"  and got sidetracked on my plan.   (I hope this is a reputable websight, heh)

I ordered the witcher, kings bounty, torchlight, homm5... 
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »

Gamersgate is fine.  Their prices aren't generally great but they do have some good sales (like the recent 75% off every 1C game they have).  The only thing that annoys me about Gamersgate is that you don't get proper archives to burn to discs, although you do get collections of "temporary" files that you can use to reinstall later - net connection required.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »

Well, for games I got is was same price total as steam.   I dunno..

I blow 60 bucks on ps3 games all time, so getting 4 games + the homm5 expansion for 70 bucks dont seem too shabby  slywink

downloading heroes5 at 186kb right now, which is a little slower them steam..  it was about 260 kb when i was doing the demos..  

i got games, its all good..    I just hope homm5 plays without allot of frustration slywink  

And I been eyeing the witcher for couple years, missed it due to a wow addiction lol

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »

I'm fairly certain that I got my Steam copy of HoMM5 working on Win7 64.  Don't think I did anything to it either, it just ran.  However, I didn't spend too long with it, just did a quick check to make sure that it worked.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 11:54:32 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on July 15, 2010, 11:15:16 PM

And I been eyeing the witcher for couple years, missed it due to a wow addiction lol

I'm playing through the Witcher right now and it's a great game.  I created a profile for Xpadder and am playing it with a 360 controller and it works perfect.  I've started the game many times but never got past
the first village but I am making it through the game this time.   I haven't had any problems running it on Win 7 64bit.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »

I woke up this morning with all the games downloaded except the witcher..  I started it before I went to work.   

Looks like my son played torchlight till late...   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: