http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:57:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old school Dungeon crawl: 'Legend of Grimrock'  (Read 8594 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 11, 2012, 06:02:33 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 11, 2012, 05:55:10 PM

I have Legend of Grimrock PreOrder in my Steam list.  I see no option to download the actual game.
GODDAMNIT!!!!

Once again I'm reminded why I'm not a Steam fan.  I just wanted to support the company, so I bought from them directly.
The Steam version isn't available yet, but you can download the standalone version from the link you got when you bought the game.

Actually, Steam has fucked up big time. If you preordered on it, you still can't download it. But if you buy it from them now, you can play it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »

Yeah I went back to the email from humblegames and it linked me to where I could download the game, same location you got the preorder bonus I think.

Just died for the first time, loving the game, I think they really hit the mark in this one.  I also leveled up for the first time so had to make some decisions on skills that perhaps I won't use for awhile.  Getting used to the combat method of moving back and forth, my fingers keep messing me up but it will come together I'm sure.  I'm going to restart the game using a new party I will create so I can see how that works.  Loving it!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 11, 2012, 06:02:33 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 11, 2012, 05:55:10 PM

I have Legend of Grimrock PreOrder in my Steam list.  I see no option to download the actual game.
GODDAMNIT!!!!

Once again I'm reminded why I'm not a Steam fan.  I just wanted to support the company, so I bought from them directly.

The Steam version isn't available yet, but you can download the standalone version from the link you got when you bought the game.

That's what I did, but I wasted precious time waiting for Steam and getting frustrated trying to figure it out when I could have been playing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »

Played up until my first down staircase and definitely cool so far.  Very old school and certainly takes me back.  Have a door I haven't figured out how to open, so I've even been stumped.  Also had a moment that startled me because I wasn't expecting it, so that was a bonus, too.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »

The Steam issue has been fixed by the way. Took them about 45-60 minutes. I'm down to dungeon level 2 now and starting to get the deceptive feeling that I'm starting to kick ass. When I stop to think about it though, the rewards that make me feel so powerful are pretty damn basic. Just finding a sword for my sword-specialized fighter took a while, and my axe-wielding minotaur has no axe to wield. He's currently cudgeling my opponents, which works well enough even if I know he's being suboptimal.

This is also the kind of game where, even if you've got a fighter specialized in armor, there's no way you'll even be able to wear light armor without penalty at the first level.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »

I tried it a bit - Very very slick game and very well done. It oozes dungeon master atmosphere but is quite hard as well. I died quite fast which lead me to quit (getting late here) but that's a good thing.

I like the art direction as well - the intro is quite good, considering its an indie game.

All in all - this is a great buy!

A new one
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:58 PM »

How's the real time combat? I am interested in this, but I shudder at the thought of a tile based movement old school dungeon slasher with real time combat....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 11, 2012, 08:00:58 PM

How's the real time combat? I am interested in this, but I shudder at the thought of a tile based movement old school dungeon slasher with real time combat....

It's just as good as it was back in the old days, when tile-based, first-person dungeon crawlers had real-time combat. In other words, it's good enough that games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore have hordes of loyal fans.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »

As for the difficulty, having reached dungeon level 3 I haven't really been in any real danger yet. On the other hand, had I tried fighting toe-to-toe against my enemies I would have been slaughtered. It's all about tactical maneuvering, which has a pretty relaxed and deliberate pacing I might add. Move in the right way and you can handle larger groups of enemies without taking a single point of damage. Get stuck in a corner, and you can wave your hit points goodbye.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »

Played about 15 minutes during lunch and I liked what I saw.  Just jumped in and fought a couple of snails and solved a puzzle.

I thought that I may be able to map the controls to my 360 controller but you need some quick mouse movements for magic and attacking. 

The magic is interesting, you will have to remember spells to cast them and you can experiment to find new ones.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »

I love this game!   nod

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »

I picked it up mostly because it was cheap but Iím liking it a lot more than I thought I would.  A few more hotkeys for map and quick save would have been nice but no big deal.  Is there any way to bring people back from the dead though? 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »

This is now 10% off on Steam through the 18th as part of a release week promotion.  HOT DAMN.

I already had the full $14.99 set aside, so now I have to figure out how to splurge on my $1.50 of FREE MONEY.  I know I should put that right into savings, but I don't know.  I saw a bag of sunflower seeds at the grocery store that looked pretty sweet.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 11, 2012, 10:01:14 PM

I picked it up mostly because it was cheap but Iím liking it a lot more than I thought I would.  A few more hotkeys for map and quick save would have been nice but no big deal.  Is there any way to bring people back from the dead though?  

AFAIK, yes.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The big giant blue stones that you seem to find one of on each level. The first one you find has a scroll nearby that mentions that you can touch it to heal.

I am absolutely and totally loving this so far. Totally engrossed. Not very difficult, either, IMHO. Just don't get cornered. And focus your skill trees.

Also, you could've bought the game for $11.99 as a pre-launch sale. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2012, 11:57:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 11, 2012, 11:13:43 PM

Also, you could've bought the game for $11.99 as a pre-launch sale. Tongue

Thats 2 bags of sunflower seeds. You could have been swimming in spent shells.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »

ended up picking this up today as I had completely glossed over getting it yesterday.  eh, more money to the devs I guess.  at least you can still get the pre-order goodies through their site. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2012, 02:57:46 AM »

is there any point to picking up loot?  I've got a bunch of shields, spears and various other weapons filling up my inventory.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2012, 03:06:29 AM »

I've stopped picking them up. I imagine they're just going to be junk items. Spell/Alchemy scrolls are the next bit of junk - gonna have to write down those recipies first though.

I did notice this game is making my graphics card run pretty hot. It was 60c+ when I came out of the game, which was odd since my card barely goes over 50c when running games. I turned on vsync and that seems to have helped with lower the temp to a little over 50c.

Loving the game though as it plays exactly like the Dungeon Keeper/Black Crypt games which I loved.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2012, 02:57:46 AM

is there any point to picking up loot?  I've got a bunch of shields, spears and various other weapons filling up my inventory.

No point to the loot if it's not better than what you already have. Although you can use it on certain puzzles to hold down pressure plates. Still I would dump or not pick up most of it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:24 AM »

played about a half hour or so now and I am glad I picked it up.  if you are at all on the fence regarding the real time combat, don't be worried.  I have been able to adjust to the controls pretty quickly and have been able to dance around a squad of the legionnaires and kill them without taking much damage.  the strafe/turn gets to be second nature and you can usually get a spot where you can run around them while avoiding attacks and waiting for your turns to regenerate.  it usually pays to have a spear in the caster and rogue's hands as you can use them when your ranged and magic is out. 

it's very important not to put on the heaviest gear too soon as having a high negative evasion will override the benefit of the armor itself.  I had to reload after losing the minotaur.  It will be a while before the heavy items are useful.  it's also good to have the shield equipped for the same reason. 

so far, I have found a piece of treasure and solved the earliest puzzles.  stuck on another one though and not sure what it's asking of me.  I will probably leave it for later and come back to it before I get too far down.  not sure if I should keep the skull I found. 

oh, alchemy is pretty simple yet, but I really hope I can find more flasks (unless it gives you back empties, I hope)

all in all, this is looking to be a very cool little game and the team really put a lot of polish on it. 

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:11 AM »

I am somewhere on dungeon level 2 I think.   I have a pair of minotaurs upfront (axe and sword) and a mage and rogue (that chucks rocks) in the back.   Ive got killed about 3 times..  eek

I like it, allot of fun.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 04:42:47 AM »

Really enjoying the game.  The atmosphere is awesome and it somewhat reminds me of playing Diablo, I loved the original of just being in a dungeon.   
I can see the puzzles getting pretty difficult especially with the transport haze, there have been some tricky ones already.
Just came across my first spider and those things are fast. 
I wish they made the alchemy a little easier.  The person that is holding the alchemy thing has to have everything on him to create potions, if you try and switch to someone else's inventory for something the window closes.   

Tips:
 You can resurrect your team by touching the big blue stones, I think you can only revive them once per dungeon level.
 Remember to use your surroundings to take out enemies, but I don't think you get any experience points though.
 The game does a good job of each enemy having a distinct sound plus you can hear them through doors so you know what awaits you when you open it.
 Also when you hear a lot of enemies behind a door try and plan a backout route before hand otherwise it's easy to get caught up and then fall down or get stuck into a corner.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 05:21:12 AM »

Seem to be able to res multiple times; at least on normal difficulty. Iíve never played a game of this type before but enjoying it more and more as I get further down; currently on level 4.  It reminds me most of Arx Fatalis, a game I loved.  I wish it had just a bit more story but for a $10 title thatís hardly a complaint.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »

the crystals are on a timer, so you can always come back to it.  I tend to make one a base of sorts in case I need to run back. 

a few things I have picked up in ~3 hours of play. 

jump in the pits.  Seriously, you only take a small chunk of damage and they have hidden stuff in some of them.  not to mention you can also imitate a certain 8 bit plumber and lessen your enemies a bit.  the key to winning in large groups of enemies like the skeletons is to strafe and hit them while avoiding as much of their attacks as possible.  not so easy against some of the other quicker enemies though, like the spiders and the birds.  those actually lunge at you and can hit you while moving forward.  it's still possible to dance around them though, just harder in smaller circles and much harder to take on a crowd.  I took out two archers and a legionnaire and only lost the mage due to a crit.  if you have a gate between you and the enemies, you can use it to take a breather between recharges.  open up, hit with everyone, then hit the switch.  one of the rooms on the 2nd floor is full of spiders and this was the only way I could see to take them on. 

keep in mind that the floors have hidden rooms that will open up behind you.  I had two spiders hunt me down while I cleared out the room above.  you don't want that sneaking up on you. 

I've found a handful of secrets and the loot gets better.  still don't get as many ranged weapons, but i have finally retired the spear for the rogue. 

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »

Tab key brings up the map, do wish there was quick save key too.  I think I'll try my rogue up front so she can backstab with a dagger and maybe evade lots of attacks.  I'm  glad I have automap on, I would get so lost otherwise, the compass I found isn't much help.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »

i made my first party with 2 mages, rogue and a warrior. I think this might be a bad party. I had no clue you had to find scrolls and stuff. I only played like 20 mins before work so whatever.

Will make one with 2 warriors, rogue and a mage. I guess a rogue can eventually get a spear or something, plus i can just swap guys around.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »

after some more levels the old school feel just isn't clicking for me; I need freedom to run around and not be stuck on a grid layout.  back in the day I was all about the turn based RPG dungeon crawls, and when I first started I felt that wave of nostalgia but it didn't last.  I guess I've just grown out of them.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 12, 2012, 07:50:24 AM

Tab key brings up the map, do wish there was quick save key too.  I think I'll try my rogue up front so she can backstab with a dagger and maybe evade lots of attacks.  I'm  glad I have automap on, I would get so lost otherwise, the compass I found isn't much help.

If you put enough points into one of the rouges trees she will be able to attack from the back row without penalty.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »

Is there no way to attack using the keyboard?  I'm finding that I'm staring at the 4 portraits during combat for click aiming rather than watching the combat.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2012, 09:24:03 AM

after some more levels the old school feel just isn't clicking for me; I need freedom to run around and not be stuck on a grid layout.  back in the day I was all about the turn based RPG dungeon crawls, and when I first started I felt that wave of nostalgia but it didn't last.  I guess I've just grown out of them.

Yea, I did not play lands of lore or anything.  I played Wizardry and might and magic.

But, I still have fun with it.  icon_smile
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 12, 2012, 12:04:32 PM

Is there no way to attack using the keyboard?  I'm finding that I'm staring at the 4 portraits during combat for click aiming rather than watching the combat.

No. And I think this is a poor design choice. I don't want to spend combat staring at a hand.
I like the game, but it spins up the fan on my 460 like crazy.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

A word of warning regarding ranged combat:

The developers tried to simplify the combat mechanics in this game to keep everything consistent. Ironically, this makes things harder to understand for those of us with plenty of RPG experience. In short, Str affects damage for all physical attacks, melee and ranged. Dex affects your hit chance. However, ranged attacks hit automatically, so Dex has absolutely no effect on neither damage or hit chance for those. This is completely opposite from what we've been trained to expect. My ranged rogue is specialized in dex, which it now turns out makes him less optimal at what he's supposed to be doing. This gets extra muddled because of the skills for missile and throwing weapons. Increasing your skill in missile weapons also increases your dex, while increasing throwing weapons also increases your str. This means that a rogue focusing on thrown weapons will gradually become more effective based on stats alone, while a missile-focused rogue will become no more effective (not counting the effects of the skill level itself, which is significant from what I'm told).

The differences between the two weapon types can be summed up like this:

Missile weapons: Deal more base damage but occupy both hands. Increases dex, which helps with evasion but not with damage.
Thrown weapons: Less base damage but occupy only one hand. Increases str, which helps with damage, theoretically offsetting the bonus to base damage that missile weapons get, but not quite.

The interesting conclusion one might draw from all of this is that a minotaur by default is actually a more dangerous archer than a lizardman.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »

That's a really weird decision they made, considering the game is clearly made with a focus on people who were playing RPGs 20 years ago and are still playing games.  Why change up such established mechanics?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 11, 2012, 12:44:44 PM

Happy Grimrock Day!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 12, 2012, 09:10:40 AM

i made my first party with 2 mages, rogue and a warrior. I think this might be a bad party. I had no clue you had to find scrolls and stuff. I only played like 20 mins before work so whatever.

Will make one with 2 warriors, rogue and a mage. I guess a rogue can eventually get a spear or something, plus i can just swap guys around.

FYI, you don't have to find scrolls in order to cast magic. If you know the combinations (or just experiment), you'll be able to cast whatever you want as long as you have the skill for it (inside the spell trees, they're called Spell: ??? until you figured out the combination).

If you get the 'not skilled enough yet', that means you've found a valid combo. What tree and level it is, is a good question. But 'fizzle' means an invalid spell at any skill.

Also, Tilt, IMHO, ranged weapons deal more damage as well to help compensate for this strange design decision. My Rogue routinely deals more damage per attack than my two Fighters (who at this point have some pretty beefy weapons and Str), despite having mostly Dex (although I did grab some Str as well as the +Attack Power feat).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:37:15 PM by Destructor » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 12, 2012, 02:06:52 PM

A word of warning regarding ranged combat:

The differences between the two weapon types can be summed up like this:

Missile weapons: Deal more base damage but occupy both hands. Increases dex, which helps with evasion but not with damage.
Thrown weapons: Less base damage but occupy only one hand. Increases str, which helps with damage, theoretically offsetting the bonus to base damage that missile weapons get, but not quite.

The interesting conclusion one might draw from all of this is that a minotaur by default is actually a more dangerous archer than a lizardman.

Very helpful. Thanks for that. I was wondering what tree to go down with the rouge.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Spoiler for two-thousand-and-seventeen words (and one smiley):

Quote from: Crawley
Very helpful. Thanks for that. I was wondering what to go down with the .

slywink

biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on April 12, 2012, 01:39:03 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on April 12, 2012, 12:04:32 PM

No. And I think this is a poor design choice. I don't want to spend combat staring at a hand.
I like the game, but it spins up the fan on my 460 like crazy.

make sure you have vsync turned on, otherwise it'll render too quickly and cause your temps to go up.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 11, 2012, 08:07:44 PM

It's just as good as it was back in the old days, when tile-based, first-person dungeon crawlers had real-time combat. In other words, it's good enough that games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore have hordes of loyal fans.
I was in college without a gaming pc when those came out. So, I never played a party based, tile movement RPG with RTC. My old days were a few years before then.

I wish there was a demo for this. The thought of managing a 4 person party and moving around in a tile based movement system sounds like a nightmare to me. I assume it isn't as unwieldy as it sounds (to me).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:06 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 12, 2012, 09:58:46 PM

I wish there was a demo for this. The thought of managing a 4 person party and moving around in a tile based movement system sounds like a nightmare to me. I assume it isn't as unwieldy as it sounds (to me).

You control the party as one entity when moving around.  You really only have to manage clicking on their attack buttons.  The game is awesome!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: