http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old school Dungeon crawl: 'Legend of Grimrock'  (Read 9194 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »

Looks very cool.  I will keep my eye on this one.
http://www.grimrock.net/

morlac00 on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »

Me Grimrock say, trailer look good but too short.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »

That brings back very fond memories. I would play that game in a second! I hope they can keep going. Too often you hear of these things once or twice and then it just kinda fades away.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on July 16, 2011, 03:06:06 PM

That brings back very fond memories. I would play that game in a second! I hope they can keep going. Too often you hear of these things once or twice and then it just kinda fades away.

I have the same reservations but they seem highly motivated and organized which is a good thing.  This also appears to be a money making venture and not a labor of love so better motivation, I hope!  They will get my $ for sure...as long as there is an automap feature, somethings 'old school' need to stay there smile

morlac00 on PSN
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »

I would vote for auto map as well, of course. I'm sure it will have it. But for this one time, I might be willing to haul out the graph paper.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:47:30 AM »

They've posted a gameplay trailer and it looks really nice.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »

not sure I like real time, and I know I dislike kiting the enemies.
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:08 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2011, 12:55:56 AM

yeah, the combat seems very clunky
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:05:22 AM »

Looks like a very faithful update of Dungeon Master.  Good and bad points about that.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »

This is coming out in early April.http://www.shacknews.com/article/72696/legend-of-grimrock-crawling-onto-pc-in-april

Reminds me of the first couple Might and Magic's. At least the indoor areas of M&M. Be fun for me.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »

It looks like this one has gone gold!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 01:27:23 AM »

Quote from: frost on August 25, 2011, 04:59:08 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2011, 12:55:56 AM

yeah, the combat seems very clunky

This subgenre of RPGs is built around that style of combat. You're supposed to be moving around instead of standing in place, but moving presents its own dangers if you don't know the environment well. You could walk into a trap, stumble upon more monsters, or get surrounded if you're not careful. It's not clunky. It's highly tactical and deliberate. If you always played Eye of the Beholder or Lands of Lore by standing in one place and hitting the attack buttons, you were doing it wrong and probably found the game to be far more difficult than intended.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:47:29 AM »

I understand how it works, and played a ton of the EotB series.  It is still clunky though. Movement during combat in party based first person dungeon crawlers is clunky.  Also it would be more tactical and deliberate if not real time.  Turn based allows more of a tactical feeling (and definitely enhances deliberateness...  ninja )
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

I'm actually really pumped up for this game. It looks like they have tweaked it too based on the beta, for instance the spell casting was tweaked to make it easier to cast spells.

If this thing has a half way decent storyline I will be in heaven.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on July 16, 2011, 04:47:19 PM

I would vote for auto map as well, of course. I'm sure it will have it. But for this one time, I might be willing to haul out the graph paper.

It has an automap and you can turn it off if you really want to go hardcore.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »

Avialable for preorder form GOG.com.  $11.99 also includes the following goodies:

If you pre-order now you get 20% off the retail price and early access to following goodies:
- A beautifully crafted game manual
- Legend of Grimrock world map
- Custom made grid paper to print out for all your mapping needs
- Grimrock theme music
- Wallpapers
- Art sheets illustrating foul creatures of Mount Grimrock
- Team photo

Other buying options will be Steam and directly form the.

Note:  buying form them gives you a steam key and the above goodies so everyone go that route to give them the most monies!

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »

Quote from: morlac on March 27, 2012, 09:54:12 AM

Other buying options will be Steam and directly form the. ???

Note:  buying form them gives you a steam key and the above goodies so everyone go that route to give them the most monies!

In a bit of a hurry when writing this, weren't you? slywink

The game can be bought directly from the developers here. You get immediate access to the preorder bonus stuff, as well as a key that lets you add the game to Steam. And as morlac said, it's a good way for you to support the devs since they'll get more money when you buy directly from them even though the price is the same for you. I expect GOG and Steam both keep about 30% of the money paid through them, so it's significant enough.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »

Well shit, why did I click here?   Guess I will be pre ordering friday.

Looks good.  Been along time since the Xeen and Dark savant days..     I am on this.   
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 27, 2012, 11:21:56 AM

The game can be bought directly from the developers here. You get immediate access to the preorder bonus stuff, as well as a key that lets you add the game to Steam. And as morlac said, it's a good way for you to support the devs since they'll get more money when you buy directly from them even though the price is the same for you. I expect GOG and Steam both keep about 30% of the money paid through them, so it's significant enough.

Done.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »

Ordered from the developer page. Can't wait for this one. I hope the IOS version isn't too far out, this will be a blast on iPad.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »

In!
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »

Sooo in! I absolutely love these types of games, but dislike having to put up with horrible old graphics/audio/UIs to play them. This is a dream come true.
earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 06:21:56 PM »

No brainer, I'm in - direct from the developers . thumbsup

Gamertag earicci on PS3 and Xbox 360
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »

Preordered!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 27, 2012, 11:21:56 AM

Quote from: morlac on March 27, 2012, 09:54:12 AM

Other buying options will be Steam and directly form the. ???

In a bit of a hurry when writing this, weren't you? slywink

No proof reading is done at 5:45 am!  I had barely even sipped my coffee.   icon_razz

morlac00 on PSN
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »

I have not been able to stifle my excitement to play this game since yesterday.   I wish there was some sort of demo I could fart around on until it is released.

Oh yea, here some stuff from rock/paper/shotgun from a guy that got to play around on a prebuild some.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/27/11-things-im-looking-forward-to-in-legend-of-grimrock/

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »

*throws wallet at screen*

Boughtenen. Or pre-boughtenen as it might be. Ah, Dungeon Master. Such memories.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »

never heard about this until GOG. pre-ordered from the dev page for steam key.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »

I'll wait for a Steam sale - it looks like a great rebuild of Eye Of the Beholder.

Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that AT ALL.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

Duh, I must be missing something obvious to everyone else. Just bought this from the Dev's and activated it on Steam. Where is all the bonus extra stuff kept?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 28, 2012, 04:02:50 PM

I have not been able to stifle my excitement to play this game since yesterday.   I wish there was some sort of demo I could fart around on until it is released.

Oh yea, here some stuff from rock/paper/shotgun from a guy that got to play around on a prebuild some.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/27/11-things-im-looking-forward-to-in-legend-of-grimrock/

I have been watching/stalking this since I started this thread.  I can easily see this game being supported and added to over time.  More classes has already been mentioned.  They seem to really love what they are doing and the buzz has been very high which should generate sales for them.  It seems we might be entering a new Regolden Age of RPG goodness what with the recent Baulder's Gate and Wasteland 2news.  Think about it, what games have people around here been begging for back to GG days?  More classic style RPGs (this style and the party based isometric) and Xcom.  Who in a million years thought we would be getting both in the same year?  Can some classic gold box RPGness be that far behind?  Let's hope so!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:28:30 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 29, 2012, 09:55:17 PM

Duh, I must be missing something obvious to everyone else. Just bought this from the Dev's and activated it on Steam. Where is all the bonus extra stuff kept?

The screen and/or email that displayed the Steam key also had a link to download the pre-order bonus stuffs.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 29, 2012, 10:13:01 PM

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 29, 2012, 09:55:17 PM

The screen and/or email that displayed the Steam key also had a link to download the pre-order bonus stuffs.
  Thank you! I skipped right over that. Read it but didn't realize it was clickable.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »

I'm playing through a review version of Grimrock right now. If you guys have any questions post them up and I will try to answer them in the review.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »

Looking forward to the review.  Could you go into detail about replayablility and character build diversity?

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 31, 2012, 11:10:26 AM

I'm playing through a review version of Grimrock right now. If you guys have any questions post them up and I will try to answer them in the review.

Is it good?  What score would you give it?  What would you say are the pros and the cons?  How would you sum up your experience in, say, a concluding paragraph?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:26:26 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 31, 2012, 04:55:14 PM

Is it good?  What score would you give it?  What would you say are the pros and the cons?  How would you some up your experience in, say, a concluding paragraph?

All of those things are pretty much given in a review. Read Scraper's post again. He's not offering to spoil the review for us here. He's asking for questions you might want answered in the review itself.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 31, 2012, 05:07:09 PM

Is it good?  What score would you give it?  What would you say are the pros and the cons?  How would you some up your experience in, say, a concluding paragraph?

All of those things are pretty much given in a review. Read Scraper's post again. He's not offering to spoil the review for us here. He's asking for questions you might want answered in the review itself.

I think that's what Bullwinkle was asking for in a humorous manner.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 31, 2012, 05:21:35 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 31, 2012, 05:07:09 PM

I think that's what Bullwinkle was asking for in a humorous manner.

LoL I promise to answer all of Bullwinkles questions. But not till the review goes live, which will be before the game's releases. So you will have time to pre-order if you want to.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »

While I realize you're working on the review and everything else, I am curious what you think about difficulty so far, and if you've ever played the original Dungeon Master or the Eye of the Beholder games.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: