http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okami Wii  (Read 3573 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

So, I picked up Okami for the Wii (can someone tell me what Okami means?  It's not the name of the character, but they list it when the character appears).

I never played the PS2 version.  It looks very nice on the Wii.  Not what the system is capable of, but it is widescreen and it will work.

For the most part, the controls are good.  I'm having a real problem with the horizontal slash brush stroke, though.  The game seems to be incredibly picky about making it just right (I'm assuming "just right" means 100% horizontal).  Even on the very first test rock, it took me a dozen tries to get it.  This doesn't bode well for what seems like a technique that'll be used frequently. 

Anyone else have this issue?  Was it a similar problem on the PS2?  Man, it's irritating.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »

I've read mixed reports of the implementation of Wii controls, including at least one comment that they weren't as precise as those of the PS2 version. 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »

I remember it looking nicer when I upscaled it on my PS3, but I haven't compared the two directly now that I have the Wii version as well. I only did up to the 'cut down the fruit' part then stopped last night, but I didn't have any issues with drawing. Only took one attempt for the rock, barricade and fruit. Don't paint the slash slowly, I think speed counts more here then perfectly horizontal.

Only problem I had was with 'restoring' the stardust river, only got partway across because I hadn't "painted" far enough over. Had to turn back, paint more and try again. Twice.  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 17, 2008, 08:21:19 PM

So, I picked up Okami for the Wii (can someone tell me what Okami means?  It's not the name of the character, but they list it when the character appears).

It's a play on words.  The word "okami" (with a line over the "O") means "wolf."  The word "kami" means "god," but you can put an "o" honorific in front of it to get okami.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »

I had the box in my hands last night, and I really want to replay this on the Wii. On the other hand, I have a huge backlog of games, a buddy of mine is lending me 2 or 3 MORE games this weekend, and it seems stupid to pay $40 to play a game a second time that I paid $20 to play the first time. I'll wait for a price drop or to borrow it from someone.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 17, 2008, 08:30:19 PM

I remember it looking nicer when I upscaled it on my PS3, but I haven't compared the two directly now that I have the Wii version as well. I only did up to the 'cut down the fruit' part then stopped last night, but I didn't have any issues with drawing. Only took one attempt for the rock, barricade and fruit. Don't paint the slash slowly, I think speed counts more here then perfectly horizontal.

Only problem I had was with 'restoring' the stardust river, only got partway across because I hadn't "painted" far enough over. Had to turn back, paint more and try again. Twice.  icon_lol

Thank you.  I was trying to be too precise, it seems.  Speed and less ink are the trick.  I have no problem at all now.

Quote from: wonderpug on April 17, 2008, 08:32:01 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 17, 2008, 08:21:19 PM

It's a play on words.  The word "okami" (with a line over the "O") means "wolf."  The word "kami" means "god," but you can put an "o" honorific in front of it to get okami.

Ah, that'll do it.  Thanks, WP, it felt like Toshiro Mifune was giving me that tip, himself.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »

Any graphics comparisons between the PS2 and Wii version? I'm mainly interested to hear about how subdued the paper filter is and whether the bump to 480p is that noticable.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »

while i'm glad the game's getting wider circulation, i thought the ps2 incarnation, which i loved, was just fine...

to y'all who haven't played it before, enjoy - it's a lot of (very pretty) fun...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:58:14 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 17, 2008, 08:42:49 PM

I had the box in my hands last night, and I really want to replay this on the Wii. On the other hand, I have a huge backlog of games, a buddy of mine is lending me 2 or 3 MORE games this weekend, and it seems stupid to pay $40 to play a game a second time that I paid $20 to play the first time. I'll wait for a price drop or to borrow it from someone.

I'm feeling the same way.  I'm trying to clear out some backlog before GTA IV comes out, so Okami is going to have to wait.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »

A video comparison of the 2 versions at http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32960.html  Looks like the wii colors are more vivid and less washed out(though that is part of the art-style for Okami, isn't it?) and the "paper cutout" effect on all the stuff is less pronounced on the wii, which fits what I'd seen some of the reviews mention.

I couldn't find a new copy of the ps2 version so I got it on the wii, I was worried about the controls but enough reviews said it wasn't a huge deal and easy enough to adjust to, I just got this new one.  Haven't tried it yet, got into Mass Effect recently and want to finish that first(which will likely lead into GTA4 time...)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:23:51 AM »

I like Game Trailers quite a bit but they should be ashamed of themselves.  That video is in no way representative of the colors on PS2.  I don't know what they did for capture but that comparison should never have gone online in that condition.  From what I've read the colors in the Wii version *are* more vivid, but not nearly to that extent. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:57:40 AM »

I thought the GameTrailers footage was very representative of the colors during the opening sequence of Okami on the PS2, but not in a bad way.  The part they show had a very intentional pale, ethereal look to it which appears to have been lost on the Wii.  As you watch through the end of the video where the world bursts into bloom, you'll see that the difference in vibrancy becomes a lot less overt -- this is because, at that point in the PS2 version, the colors became a lot clearer and more distinct.  It's all part of the plot...something which should have been made clear in the video.

Having played and completed Okami on the PS2, I fully intend to pick it up on the Wii so I can enjoy it all over again.  Beautiful game.

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:12 AM »

Can you use the GameCube controller for this game and avoid the control issues?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 19, 2008, 08:16:12 AM

Can you use the GameCube controller for this game and avoid the control issues?

Yeah, you can play it on the PS2... *slaps forehead*

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

The only control issue I've read consistent complaints about is Amaterasu's dodge maneuver which is mapped to the nunchuk -- it only registers the command once in a while, and always in the wrong direction.  I'd like to tell you how the control was mapped on the PS2 version, but in the 48 hours* it took me to complete the game, I can't remember ever using it.  It simply isn't a very important skill.

-Autistic Angel

Technically, it was 47 hours, 56 minutes, and 49 seconds.  The adventure lasted 78 in-game days, I killed 987 bad guys, collected 690 monster fangs, and died 0 times.  I also unlocked a bunch of alternate skins for Amaterasu, including the really cool "realistic wolf" one...I wonder if those are in the Wii version, too...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 19, 2008, 12:57:40 AM

I thought the GameTrailers footage was very representative of the colors during the opening sequence of Okami on the PS2, but not in a bad way.  The part they show had a very intentional pale, ethereal look to it which appears to have been lost on the Wii.  As you watch through the end of the video where the world bursts into bloom, you'll see that the difference in vibrancy becomes a lot less overt -- this is because, at that point in the PS2 version, the colors became a lot clearer and more distinct.  It's all part of the plot...something which should have been made clear in the video.

Having played and completed Okami on the PS2, I fully intend to pick it up on the Wii so I can enjoy it all over again.  Beautiful game.

-Autistic Angel

I think the PS2 colors were also a bit faded because it was supposed to feel like you were looking at pictures on an old scroll.  That said, I wonder if GameTrailers has there PS2 on component or composite cables-  the PS2 version seemed a little blurry, and when I had my PS2 hooked up with composite cables any game I played looked a little blurry too.

It's nice to see they put in a skip option for the cutscenes on the Wii.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »

Wow, what a fuckup:

IGN's watermark found on Okami's box art. And to quote somebody on the thread there (because I just love to quote):

I just noticed this today. Like the boxart wasn't bad enough with the big Play stamp. There is a fucking IGN watermark right near Ammy's mouth. I was so pissed. How the fuck do you miss that. Unprofessional as shit. Why would you have to steal an image from IGN to make a cover for a game your working on. Just venting.

So, I have to ask - WHY did they have to go to IGN to get the box art FOR THEIR OWN GAME?!?

And scrolling through the thread, readers have determined where the logo came from. The second image is from IGN's page - notice how the top part of the 'box art' is the same picture, just blended in.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:15:44 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »

I've looked at this picture on Joystiq and on here and I'll be damned if I can see the IGN watermark (I need glasses, I guess). I fail to understand why this is being treated as some affront to humankind. Who really gives a shit about the box art anyway? They could ship the game with Amaterasu dropping a wolf turd on the cover and Okami would still be a great game.

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »

The logo is sitting directly in line with Amaterasu's mouth (her teeth are almost biting it). I can plop in an image that shows the logo a bit clearer if you're curious. And see my edit as to where the logo came from.

The part that gets me is that you just don't do something like this. You have your own art assets for cripes sake. You don't grab them from somebody's website and use it for your box art.

EDIT: Here, let me plop down this image. You can see IGN's logo right in front of the mouth, and the IGN name over her tail. This is supposed to also be in the manual, too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:29:45 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 20, 2008, 10:11:55 PM

I've looked at this picture on Joystiq and on here and I'll be damned if I can see the IGN watermark (I need glasses, I guess). I fail to understand why this is being treated as some affront to humankind. Who really gives a shit about the box art anyway? They could ship the game with Amaterasu dropping a wolf turd on the cover and Okami would still be a great game.

some people just feel the need to be outraged over the smallest thing.  those people really need to get out of their mothers basement.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 01:39:08 AM »

Ahh yes, I can see it in that image. It does seem odd that they did that. Probably just some screw up on someone's part. I'm sure IGN is amused by it all. Did they report on this too? (I haven't been able to get to IGN for a few days for some reason...)

-John

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »

How on earth did that happen?  Someone musta hit Delete...

On a semi-related note, my copy had another review sticker placed on the packaging above the Play sticker (no one trusts Play, I guess).  Can't remember who it was now, but maybe it was IGN.  That would explain the change.  I couldn't figure out why they would take the time to put new stickers on all of the copies.

It really bugs me that the Play review is part of the cover.  That annoys me more than the IGN logo snafu.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 21, 2008, 02:43:55 PM

It really bugs me that the Play review is part of the cover.  That annoys me more than the IGN logo snafu.

I agree. I like my cover art to have nothing stupid like a review score on it. I also want it entirely in English. *curses Nintendo*

Thankfully, the game itself is still fantastic.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 20, 2008, 10:11:55 PM

They could ship the game with Amaterasu dropping a wolf turd on the cover

Man, I so want to see this on the cover.

I stared at this game for a long time at Circuit City.  I beat the game on PS2 and I really want to support it.  However, I am having a hard time justifying buying it when it's the exact same game, even though it has the new controls.  If they had added maybe just a little bit of new story, I would jump, but I think I am going to hold off.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 03:52:49 AM »

well i never played the PS2 flavor and i just put in 1.5 hours on the Wii version.

i can see myself loving this game, but damnit the horizontal slash is ridiculous.   i would have played longer had i been able to get pass the part where you have to slash the statue for that guy in training.   i gave it a good dozen or so times and turned it off out of frustration.   if this is any evidence of how the game plays, i'm sending it back to Gamefly.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 04:02:22 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 22, 2008, 03:52:49 AM

well i never played the PS2 flavor and i just put in 1.5 hours on the Wii version.

i can see myself loving this game, but damnit the horizontal slash is ridiculous.   i would have played longer had i been able to get pass the part where you have to slash the statue for that guy in training.   i gave it a good dozen or so times and turned it off out of frustration.   if this is any evidence of how the game plays, i'm sending it back to Gamefly.

Once you get it, it becomes much harder to screw it up.

It's about speed, more than accuracy.  It seems you want as thin a line as possible.

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 04:02:54 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 22, 2008, 03:52:49 AM

I'm not sure if this is relevant or will help, but for some slashing holding down the Z button is supposed to make it work a lot better.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

ok, quick slashes work alot better.

played a couple more hours this morning and absolutely loving the game.   the art style is incredible.   just finished my first quest at the Hama village and rejuvenated the first tree.

since this is a Gamefly rental, i got a few questions since i don't have the manual...

#1.   Leveling up involves praise, correct?   You get praise by feeding animals, killing beasts, reviving plants, etc.   Am i right?   Should i always have food to feed animals to increase praise?   Whats the best way to get praise?
#2.   What should i be buying from merchants?   Do you ever get equipment or weapons?   Should i just buy those scrolls that do damage or increase my defense or power?   Not sure what i should be buying or should i be saving up money for better items to come.   Just wondering what i should be spending money on.
#3.  Do battles basically stay the way they are or do i get more attack styles?  Just wondering what to expect for fighting....other than different enemies.

so far, loving the game alot.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

another hour in and i have another question

do you have a limited number of attacks and then it recycles?   what i mean is that alot of times in battles, i can't get the attack to work no matter how i shake the Wii remote.   just wondering if its a control issue or if you only get so many attacks and then it has to recharge or something.

continuing to really like the game though.

anyone answer my questions would be great.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 22, 2008, 02:32:20 PM

#1.   Leveling up involves praise, correct?   You get praise by feeding animals, killing beasts, reviving plants, etc.   Am i right?   Should i always have food to feed animals to increase praise?   Whats the best way to get praise?
#2.   What should i be buying from merchants?   Do you ever get equipment or weapons?   Should i just buy those scrolls that do damage or increase my defense or power?   Not sure what i should be buying or should i be saving up money for better items to come.   Just wondering what i should be spending money on.
#3.  Do battles basically stay the way they are or do i get more attack styles?  Just wondering what to expect for fighting....other than different enemies.

I haven't played in a while so I'm just going by memory (I have the PS2 version).

1. Yes. Also you can feed all of the animals of each type if you are a completionist.  I don't think there is a best way - do everything.

2. You will have the option to buy both new weapons and get new abilities along the way.  I think you get these at training dojos.  The combat isn't really all that hard, so just get what looks fun.  If you save up enough you can get
Spoiler for Hiden:
poop bombs that come out of your butt
biggrin

3. See 2.

Regarding the limited attacks - are you running out of ink?  After you use the brush a number of times you run out of ink and have to wait for it to recharge.  You can earn more ink wells along the way.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 06:58:52 PM »

Quote from: Xmann
#1.   Leveling up involves praise, correct?   You get praise by feeding animals, killing beasts, reviving plants, etc.   Am i right?

Yes.  You also receive praise for completing many of the optional quests in the game.

Should i always have food to feed animals to increase praise?   Whats the best way to get praise?

Money may seem tight in the beginning, but I recommend keeping at least a couple pouches of each food type on paw at all times.  There are a lot of animals in the game, and you don't want to be making special trips to buy food unless you really need to.

I don't know if there's any one particular activity that will gain praise with maximum efficiency...I just went through the game feeding animals, helping people, reviving cursed areas, and closing demon gates wherever I could.

At first, I spent most of my money on food, but later, merchants do get additional weapons you can purchase.  I highly recommend buying any Gold Dust you see -- it can be used *one* time to permanently improve *one* of your weapons, so you'll want to collect as much of it as possible.

Aside from food, Gold Dust, weapons, and the occasional quest item, I purchased very few things from the merchants.  I also didn't use many of those temporary buffing items either -- I never found them terribly necessary.

Money is mostly spent at the dojo to learn additional moves.  Some of the later ones are quite expensive.

Amaterasu ultimately gains access to three different weapon classes: reflectors, rosaries, and glaives.  There are several weapons in each class, and some have special bonuses depending on how they're equipped -- the descriptions do a good job of letting you know what they are.

Many of the Celestial Bush techniques are also used in combat as special finishing moves to collect valuable Demon Fangs.  Many of the most useful artifacts in the game can only be purchased by trading in Demon Fangs, so start collecting them as soon as you're able.

Here's a bonus techinque which, as far I know, is not documented in the game: if you use the reflector's shield ability to block an enemy attack and you counter-attack at the same time, Amaterasu will do a Super Lupine Atomic Mega DropTM.

do you have a limited number of attacks and then it recycles?   what i mean is that alot of times in battles, i can't get the attack to work no matter how i shake the Wii remote.   just wondering if its a control issue or if you only get so many attacks and then it has to recharge or something.

Amaterasu starts out with a limited number of attacks in her stock combo.  I don't remember if it's two or three, but you can increase it by training at the dojo once it becomes available.

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

From what I heard as far as combo attacks go, you have a very specific window to attack 'again' in order to get the combo. You just can't wave like mad like you can do in Twilight Princess.

I think you start with either a 2 or 3 combo as stated though. It eventually hits 4, or is it 5...

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »

Capcom is offering to send people who bought the game a new cover, and are even offering three different ones - the original with the watermark removed, and two others featuring full artwork.  Details are here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 24, 2008, 05:56:00 AM

Capcom is offering to send people who bought the game a new cover, and are even offering three different ones - the original with the watermark removed, and two others featuring full artwork.  Details are here.

That's...nice, but bizarre.  Now how about a trade-in program for people who have the PS2 version and want it on the Wii?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »

Quote from: EddieA
Capcom is offering to send people who bought the game a new cover, and are even offering three different ones - the original with the watermark removed, and two others featuring full artwork.

Sweet three-toed sloth of ice planet Hoth, they even removed that horrific "Play" sticker from the original!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 24, 2008, 02:55:26 PM

Capcom is offering to send people who bought the game a new cover, and are even offering three different ones - the original with the watermark removed, and two others featuring full artwork.
Sweet three-toed sloth of ice planet Hoth, they even removed that horrific "Play" sticker from the original!

Go Capcom go! And being able to choose different box art if you choose to do so is even cooler. Talk about doing the right thing for the consumer.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 24, 2008, 03:03:55 PM

Go Capcom go! And being able to choose different box art if you choose to do so is even cooler. Talk about doing the right thing for the consumer.

does one of them have Amaterasu dropping a wolf turd on the cover?  if so JCC should sue.

Because I can,
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

-Autistic Angel

Isn't it supposed to say Goddess on the back and not God though?

I want to get all three covers, they are quite nice. I knew they would fix things up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »

Quote from: JSL on April 24, 2008, 03:55:42 PM

I want to get all three covers, they are quite nice. I knew they would fix things up.

Well, technically, God doesn't imply male or female, so it's sorta right. Goddess would technically be right though.

And is it wrong that I want to put my name into this just to get a mini-poster for my wall instead of replacing the box art? biggrin

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:16 PM »

Quote from: JSL

For some reason, Capcom was really strict that Amaterasu was genderless in the U.S. release, even though she's solely referred to in the feminine in both the Japanese and European versions.

Quote from: 1Up
1UP: What other sort of things went on behind the scenes in localizing Okami?

DC: Here's a few tidbits. Issun the character has a specific nickname for Amaterasu in the Japanese version where he calls her -- or I should say "him." I shouldn't say her. Actually that's one thing I should mention? R&D is very adamant about making Amaterasu genderless, which made localization very hard. Because we use pronouns a lot: he, she.

1UP: And Amaterasu is supposed to be a goddess.

DC: Yeah, and in traditional lore, the Amaterasu of those stories is definitely a sun goddess. But I guess the point Kamiya was trying to make is that this character is called Amaterasu, but it's not necessarily the Amaterasu. Because if you go by proper legend, Susano is Amaterasu's brother, and Tsukiyomi, which is actually a sword in the game, is one of their siblings.

1UP: So it's an embodiment, and genderless Amaterasu...

DC: Right, they're taking the names and general themes, but it's not necessarily the Amaterasu, it's a character named Amaterasu. For the European versions, I think they'll have to go ahead and make it a female because it'll be too hard to write around that. But for English, that was really difficult because we couldn't use he or she, and we didn't want to use "Amaterasu" every time we mentioned the character's name.

1UP: And you didn't want to use "it."

DC: Exactly. So we used "the wolf," "the god," things like that. There were ways around it, but it wasn't easy.

Personally, it always seemed perfectly clear that Amaterasu was female, but I guess Capcom wanted it to be left unclear.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: