http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okami impressions  (Read 18673 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 09:53:02 PM »

The EB thing isn't national, since I picked up my pre-ordered copy this afternoon.  They even had the pre-order freebie, which I wasn't sure I was getting, since this is a new store to me.

I'm through the first two hours, and I really like it.  Lots of dialogue, but not in movie format, and I seem to prefer dialogue when I can scroll it manually, since I read pretty fast.  Have to run, but hopefully I'll get more time in tonight.

BTW, I seriously suck at drawing circles with the controller.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 10:48:37 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on September 20, 2006, 04:44:40 PM

Oh my GOD.

The "Insufficient Space on Memory Card  - Continue? <YES> <NO>" screen is mind-blowing.

it's astute, incisive, low-key comments like this one that keep me coming back to this forum (seriously!)...

no problems at my gamestop (where it was disappearing quickly), tho they won't have the pre-order bonus brushs til friday...

will boot it up shortly, and am feeling about exactly the same way i felt 11 months ago when shadow of the colossus was released: i'm finally getting to play my favorite game of the year...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »

I just finished about 2 hours of playing, and this purchase was well worth it already.  I didnt pre order, but they love me enough at my local EB, and since I normally preorder ( I thought I had), they gave me one of the extra Little Buddha things. 

The graphics rea great, the characters I already like.  The style is wonderful, I love the music.  I can't wait to get into this game some more.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 11:20:29 PM »

I seem to prefer dialogue when I can scroll it manually, since I read pretty fast.

One of my pet peeves with Okami is that much of the time you can't press the X button to quickly zip through the text screens. During cutscenes the text moves kinda slow and sometimes there's an awful lot of it. But at least you can zip through the text during NPC conversations and stuff.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2006, 12:13:26 AM »

2 hours in and it's amazing.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:36 AM »

I'm about and hour in and so far it's neat, but I'm not loving it.  There's lots of potential but I'm just not in the OMGITSAWESOME stage yet.

And now that Biggest Loser is on, I probably won't touch it again until tomorrow.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on September 20, 2006, 07:42:40 PM

Susano-style! Exploding Implosion!!!

icon_lol

Quote from: ATB on September 21, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

I'm about and hour in and so far it's neat, but I'm not loving it.  There's lots of potential but I'm just not in the OMGITSAWESOME stage yet.

And now that Biggest Loser is on, I probably won't touch it again until tomorrow.

Ironic...

(oh, I'm just giving you a hard time!)

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 03:23:27 AM »

If you come across a guy in his house (this'll be at night) eating a bowl of rice, use the power slash move on him.

I LOL'd.

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 08:54:22 AM »

wait a minute.  Seriously.  Your gonna sit here and say that a game isnt really all that great, then turn around and watch something like The Biggest Loser?  'Reailty' TV?  WoW.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 09:57:33 AM »

Quote from: GGMark on September 21, 2006, 08:54:22 AM

wait a minute.  Seriously.  Your gonna sit here and say that a game isnt really all that great, then turn around and watch something like The Biggest Loser?  'Reailty' TV?  WoW.

Let's not put the cart before the horse. I'm not saying it's not great, I'm saying that it hasn't clicked with me yet.  That's all. I fully expect, once I have an op to play for more than 20 minutes at a time, for it to rock my world.

And Biggest Loser is actually one of the most compelling and emotionally impactful shows on television.  Everyone can relate to wanting to change their life.  It's an amazing inspirational and fun show.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 12:09:16 PM »

My initial response has been similar to ATB's.   As a work of art, Okami succeeds on every level.  The graphics, music, setting, & characters are all incredible.  As a game, however, it didn't click with me at all after an hour.  Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it just didn't seem like much fun to me.  I'm chalking it up the fact was simply exhausted last night and my brain wasn't working right.  I'll try it again tonight and see if I fare any better.

My biggest concern is that it will suffer from my least-favorite game malady:  now-what-itis.  A game can be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if I'm constantly wondering "what am I supposed to do now?", I won't play it for very long.  The gibberish voice-overs are already driving me insane.  Is there a way to turn them off, or at least translate them into King of all Cosmos language?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »

6 hours today...

Rarely does a game live up to the amount of hype I give it, but Okami has done this AND more.  There have been so many, little, amazing moments - I would be content with an okay, so-so game to go with the gorgeous graphical style, but we, as gamers, have been blessed with so much more.  The amount of care and attention to detail I've witnessed, so far, has been amazing.  The characters are brilliant, creative and already incredibly memorable.  Sakuya is a freakin' babe, Susano is hilarious and the turnip-obsessed mother is absolutely nutes.

So my first impressions are incredibly, incredibly positive.  I have a couple niggles, however.

- The "now loading" emblem at the bottom right doesn't fit the style of the game.  Give me a Japanese emblem or something!

- Day/night cycles go by too fast (especially night).

Yup, that's it.  That's all I got.

**edited to add**

Gratch, you can always go to your quest log (or whatever it's called) and it'll basically give you the most important convo's which essentially steer you in the right direction.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 21, 2006, 12:14:52 PM

Gratch, you can always go to your quest log (or whatever it's called) and it'll basically give you the most important convo's which essentially steer you in the right direction.

Thanks TML, I missed that.  My brain was mush last night, so I'm hoping tonight's time with the game will leave some more positive impressions.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 21, 2006, 09:57:33 AM

Quote from: GGMark on September 21, 2006, 08:54:22 AM

Let's not put the cart before the horse. I'm not saying it's not great, I'm saying that it hasn't clicked with me yet.  That's all. I fully expect, once I have an op to play for more than 20 minutes at a time, for it to rock my world.

And Biggest Loser is actually one of the most compelling and emotionally impactful shows on television.  Everyone can relate to wanting to change their life.  It's an amazing inspirational and fun show.

[thread derailment]

you want to change your life? - turn off your television...

seriously, tho - inspiration is where one finds it, and you shouldn't be surprised that on an okami thread there will be those who suggest that playing it, while appreciating, as you play it, the fact that it's a reflection of years of hard work and dedication to a single, trend-defying vision on the part of a group of individuals, each of whom have his/her own personal goals and dreams, that doing that could well provide an amazingly inspirational and fun experience equaling, even possibly surpassing, watching another group of individuals lose weight (which, for better or worse, would never 'click' for me, personally)...

[/thread derailment]

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2006, 02:00:31 PM »

But if I turn of my television, how shall I play Okami?   retard
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 02:25:19 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 21, 2006, 12:14:52 PM

- Day/night cycles go by too fast (especially night).
did you know you can speed up night by drawing a sun in the night sky?

I was up until almost 4 am playing this last night and I have to say I'm hooked.  The voiceovers are kind of annoying at first, but I've been able to tune them out.  I only wish you could speed up every conversation like you can with alot of Issun's.  I was worried about the brush system, but it's fairly forgiving.  The combat does seem fairly easy though- I stopped just after restoring Hana Valley and I think I've been hit once (although I did die once while swimming around as I couldn't figure out what that frigging symbol that appears was.  I kinda wish they had more time to localize this, maybe give it some American VO and translate alot of the kanji that appears (like when you run into a new monster).

Oh, and the graphics are amazing.  I love how they managed to get the annoyed look on Ameterasu's face whenever Issun is bouncing around, and Susano is the best comic relief since Minsc and Boo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »

Played for about an hour and a half and I am really enjoying the game.  

The graphics do look good on a widescreen HDTV. The art style is really impressive and the colors really stand out.  

There are 2 camera angles one close up and one far away.  The close up camera is okay but I found that when I used it I was weaving alot as I was running, if you hit the L1 button the camera backs out and it made running long distances easier.  You manually control the camera as well and I have had no other problems with it so far.

The combat so far isn't too deep and not really that hard but it is still good.  It's fun to knock them in the air then slash them with your brush and watch the body be split in half then fall to the ground.  Controling the brush is very easy and I hope they use it alot for the puzzles because there are some neat things that can be done with it.  

The only gripe I have is the "talking" of the characters.  They use gibberish that is quite annoying, I wish they had just the text.  It isn't that much of a distraction but I just don't care for it.    The dialog is well written and funny(ie. furball).    

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 02:49:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 21, 2006, 02:00:31 PM

hell if i know  icon_wink ...

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 03:12:30 PM »

I'm right around the 8 hour mark and tremendously hooked. It's Miyazaki does Zelda and it just gets better and deeper as you go. I just got a new weapon (and trained up 3 moves at the dojo) so the combat encounters have evolved nicely. There are combos and shield moves and you can pick which weapon you want as a primary or a sub weapon. Plus the brush strokes. Cool stuff.

No worries about now-what-itis. So far it's been very clear about where you need to go plus you can always check that journal page if you forget.

And here I thought my 360 had killed my PS2.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 04:09:54 PM by rrmorton » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2006, 03:57:48 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 21, 2006, 02:49:03 PM

Quote from: ATB on September 21, 2006, 02:00:31 PM

hell if i know  icon_wink ...

just drill a hole in the center of your forehead and plug the PS2 cables in right there.  Virtual gaming man!!!  Tongue

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2006, 04:32:28 PM »

Quick question- how early after the supposedly long intro can you save?  I'm thinking about trying to plug through that on my lunch hour but I won't really have more than 30 minutes of game time to do it in?  Possible? 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2006, 04:34:43 PM »

Yeah. You can save right after the intro...well maybe it was like 5 or so minuntes...but I think you could save immediately.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2006, 04:37:40 PM »

Awesome.  Think I'll try and do just that.  Thanks!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2006, 06:18:56 PM »

Just curious, is Ameterasu a Japanese word?  Seems more like Egyptian or Incan.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »

amaterasu...

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2006, 11:33:25 PM »

I just defeated the first boss battle and HOO BOY is it a doozy. Very cool stuff.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:13 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on September 21, 2006, 11:33:25 PM

I just defeated the first boss battle and HOO BOY is it a doozy. Very cool stuff.

How do you find the time?!

I've not gotten back to it yet.   :icon_sad:
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2006, 11:53:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 21, 2006, 11:34:13 PM

Quote from: rrmorton on September 21, 2006, 11:33:25 PM

How do you find the time?!

You mean Rob does something other than play videogames?  :icon_confused:
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »

icon_biggrin

The stars aligned this week (no paintbrush, just luck) to give me large chunks of free time to tackle Okami. Besides a slow work week where I'm just waiting for people to get back to me, I also have a sick wife who's going to bed super early and my almost-three-year-old daughter Amelia just learned how to use the mouse so I can plant her in front of Noggin.com or Nickjr.com or jacksonpollock.org and she can entertain herself while I play my PS2. It pretty much rocks. Plus she loves to watch me play Okami. "Daddy, you wanna find another black tree and make it flowery?"  icon_biggrin

I carved out an hour when I woke up, two hours at naptime, another hour before dinner, and now I can chow down on three or four hours of Okami before bed. I don't often dig into a game this voraciously but I like to do it when I can and when a game is this outstanding.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must Okami.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:12:56 AM by rrmorton » Logged
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2006, 09:04:21 AM »

I am about 4 hours in now.  I made it from the first town andinto the valley.  last night I went back into town, and did a quest in there.  I had been going along reviving the trees.  There are some many little things about this game that I like.

I love the animations of the wolf.  Angry when Issun bothers him, like in the intro.  After you jump in water, he will shake off.  If you let him sit, he not only whines, but will lay down, instead of just sitting.  Barking at the pigs that I fed, and made like me.  Carrying the smaller animals around.  Pulling on the legs of the bigger animals.  I love when you run and the flowers bloom behind you.  When you do a attack in the air, the square button, it leaves a bunch of 'fall' leaves (red) that fall to the ground.

While I dont necessarily like the 'voices'  its mostly the actual gibberish that I dont like.  The tone is very fitting for everyone so far and its done a great job of setting each persons mood when you talk to them.  Along with everyone else, I wish you could speed up the scroll during cut scenes.  I think it might have been intentional so that you take the time to look at whats going on.  Like when you feed a animal and get that little cut scene.

Did anyone else notice that the first time you meet Sakuya and Issun that there is no ass in her robe?  The second time after you get to town shes not wearing much either.

The game is BEAUTIFUL.  Not only in style, but in color, and the way its drawn as well.  I haven't had a single issue with controls yet.  I wish there was a little more to combat, other than my buttong mash, and dodge and run.  From what others are saying though, that changes a little later in the game.  I havent finished in Shisun (sp) valley yet.

Between this and Dwarf Fortress I have been able to stay busy, and its hard to tell which one I want to play.  Not to mention having a raid schedule for WoW, that I want to follow.  As well as read books, and catch a little TV.  Just way to much that I want to do all at once, right now.  Okami is winning the battle for my time though.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »

i'll mostly be keeping my impressions to myself, as i did with sotc, at least til i've finished playing, in order to spare everyone my gushing fanboyism. having made it about as far as ggmark, i'll only say for now that i can't remember the last game i played that had as many visually spectacular 'mini-payoffs' as okami, each of them as or more stunning than the last...

okami's promise was to place you within an ancient folktale. for me it's succeeded even beyond expectation...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2006, 02:39:33 PM »

Man, they really nailed that classic "ooh, what's that over there, gotta check that out before I stop for the night" gameplay that Zelda has always done so well.  Last night I was screwing around in Shinsu(sp) field and kept meaning to stop but it was always "oh look a patch of darkness I need to obliterate", " hey, I found a sword master!", "another dark gate to enter", etc. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »

I have to say the CHERRY BOMB is freaking insane.  I can usually take out a group of enemies in one hit (I can have it drawn before they appear and it explodes just as they are coming out of the ground.)  Granted, it deosn't always kill the birdies in one shot and probably will become less powerful as I proceed, but wowzers!

Because I can,
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2006, 04:27:17 PM »

Must resist forum effect.... Still trying to beat DQ8.........   It's hard to resist the urge to buy this one though slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:50 AM »

Quote from: faide on September 22, 2006, 04:27:17 PM

Must resist forum effect.... Still trying to beat DQ8.........   It's hard to resist the urge to buy this one though slywink

it's only 40 bucks..... it's fun....come play with us....

Because I can,
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2006, 01:12:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2006, 12:40:50 AM

Quote from: faide on September 22, 2006, 04:27:17 PM

it's only 40 bucks..... it's fun....come play with us....

The pressure got to the best of me and I'm glad it did! This is one amazing game!!!!!!

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2006, 02:29:05 AM »

Having given this game another 5 or 6 hours (so far) today, and having just beaten the second boss, I'm here to say that Okami is one of the PS2's very best titles, right up there with God of War and GTA Vice City, and it's even stolen the "artistic triumph" crown away from Ico and/or Shadow of the Colossus. It's the best game of its kind I've played since Zelda: Ocarina of Time and in some ways its better, due to the gorgeous, evocative, totally unique setting. With its focus on plants and animals and nature in harmony, it even matches the quality of Miyamoto's creation in terms of inspiration and philosophy.

Assuming the quality holds up for the remainder of the game, this is looking to go on my short list of 10 or 20 all-time favorites.

How's that for gushing?  icon_biggrin Maybe I'll calm down in hindsight, but that's what I'm thinking as I play it.

Susano is awesome but I have a new favorite character. Without spoiling it, I'll just say, little bird, fire, and drumsticks.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 03:51:27 AM by rrmorton » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2006, 02:37:26 AM »

A couple minor questions:

1.  In battles, what is the wolf symbol down in the bottom left?  Time bonus, maybe (red, yellow, or green depending on how long the battle takes?)

2.  How does the astral pouch work?  The manual says that once it is full, it brings you back to life when you die.  However, the one time I died (fighting the french-sounding dude), it kicked me back to the last checkpoint.  How do you know when it's full and will bring you back to life? 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2006, 03:02:30 AM »

Argh.  Played for another hr and I just cannot get into it.

I'm going to wipe my save data and start over as it appears the initial spurts I've played it in have been rather detrimential to my overall comprehension and enjoyment.  Perhaps tomorrow night I can get in a good couple of hours straight and things will come together. 
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2006, 03:40:58 AM »

1) The green, yellow, and red symbols measure your godhood which is sort of a turbo meter. When it's all the way up into the red, you have a nice glowing barrier that deflects enemy attacks. Stringing attacks into combos raises your godhood level. Fleeing from battle or drowning lowers it and weakens you.

2) The astral pouch fills slowly as you eat food. The number in the bottom left shows the current total. Once you fill it to 200, if you die it should kick in to save you, at which point you'll have to eat a lot of food to fill it again. I leveled up my pouch which gave me two pouches for extra insurance. I'm not sure how useful these are, especially since I've had enough yen to afford plenty of health bones. I've only needed the pouch once. But I think your confusion stems from a gold memory gate which I also find weird. Between the save points and the astral pouch, I have no idea why those gates exist. They seem to defeat the purpose.

I'll be curious to hear if anyone else finds the second boss kind of a push-over compared to the first.

The sidegames so far are pretty cool. I spent a lot of time fishing (earned me some phat loot) but the craziest sidegame was kind of a Lode Runner meets Dig Dug type deal.

I didn't realize until earlier today that you can scroll through the bestiary artwork by moving left or right on the stick. I was glad to discover this because it's gorgeous stuff and well worth poring over. The artistry of this game is pretty amazing. I love all the little special effects touches like bursting flowers, autumn leaves, confetti, fireworks, and cherry blossoms. I love barking and biting too. And three cheers for the monkey imps who taunt you by spanking their ass.  icon_cool

They also deserve credit for giving nice, scenic views overlooking the vast countryside where if you look closely you can recognize it from earlier exploring. That's crucial in a game like this, to give you that sense of wonder at the scope of your accomplishments. It's deeply rewarding, like the best moments of Zelda.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 04:53:12 AM by rrmorton » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: