http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:39:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okami impressions  (Read 19030 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2006, 04:17:54 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 08, 2006, 04:10:07 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 08, 2006, 03:33:25 AM

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2006, 01:06:11 AM

I dunno what it is...It's beautiful, sure.  Combat is fun, sure.  Expansive environments, sure.  But it's just missing something for me at this point.

If you do get a Wii, think very, very hard before getting Twilight Princess. 

I don't know if I would say that. I'm in the same boat as ATB. I've just not found the game all that engrossing for some reason. I know I'm still fairly early (maybe 7 hours in?), but it just hasn't grabbed me. I haven't even loaded it up this weekend so far (and probably won't).

On the other hand, I've loved all the Zeldas I've played, including Wind Waker. For some reason, Zelda has a certain something that I haven't found yet in Okami.

Ah, but ATB said earlier in the thread that he couldn't get into Ocarina of Time (arguably the best Zelda game and certainly the epitome of the series' core gameplay) either.  So between that and a relative disinterst in Okami, I just don't want to see him potentially waste $50.  At a minimum, he would probably be better served playing Wind Waker on the VC to get his feet wet (WW has it's problems but they really aren't very apparent until the mid-to-end game).  If WW clicks, then TP is probably a safe bet but right now I'm thinking maybe the genre just isn't for him.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:20:12 AM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2006, 01:40:42 PM »

And clover studios gets shut down. I blame...I don't know. I blame somebody over this, as Okami is an outstanding game.

EDIT: The company apparently wants to break off from Capcom to do their own thing? This is why the PR came out closing the company? I dunno at this point.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:44:12 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 12, 2006, 01:40:42 PM

And clover studios gets shut down. I blame...I don't know. I blame somebody over this, as Okami is an outstanding game.

I posted this in the Godhand thread, but it sounds like, with further clarfication, they aren't shutting down but instead are breaking from Capcom.  So Clover will continue to exist but it isn't likely they will retain control of their IPs (Okami, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand). 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2006, 02:15:23 PM »

I don't know that I'll be getting Zelda now that we mention it.

It wasn't that I couldn't get into OoT, it's I got lost and didn't feel like figuring out where to go...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »

Dammit, I knew this was going to happen.  I'm stuck about 18 hours in:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got to the city with all the mist that is making people sick.  You apparently have to go through one of the 'Dig-Dug-esque' sequences to release the water in the canal and get into the palace.  I've tried the digging bit over a dozen times, and I can't seem to get past it.  I've tried every imaginable route, yet I still run out of time before the idiot guy finds whatever it is he's looking for.

So far, Okami has been nearly the perfect gaming experience for me.  I'm really hoping I can figure this out in order to keep playing.  FWIW, the stupid digging sequences are by far my least favorite part of the game.   

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2006, 03:56:45 PM »

I remember that sequence.  At one point you will have to *up* before you can go back down and make it to the bottom. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 12, 2006, 03:48:57 PM

Dammit, I knew this was going to happen.  I'm stuck about 18 hours in:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got to the city with all the mist that is making people sick.  You apparently have to go through one of the 'Dig-Dug-esque' sequences to release the water in the canal and get into the palace.  I've tried the digging bit over a dozen times, and I can't seem to get past it.  I've tried every imaginable route, yet I still run out of time before the idiot guy finds whatever it is he's looking for.

So far, Okami has been nearly the perfect gaming experience for me.  I'm really hoping I can figure this out in order to keep playing.  FWIW, the stupid digging sequences are by far my least favorite part of the game.   

if it's the one i think it is:

Spoiler for Hiden:
use wind (across) & waterspout (up), like kevin says...

&, yeah, the digging sequences should've been for optional goodies only, & not to advance the story...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2006, 04:39:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 12, 2006, 03:56:45 PM

I remember that sequence.  At one point you will have to *up* before you can go back down and make it to the bottom. 

I didn't have to go back up that I remember. You'll need to use your slash attack (break certain blocks) as well as the one that makes the guy jump over the spike traps (circle him I think) to get past it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2006, 04:47:57 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll give these a try tonight.

as well as the one that makes the guy jump over the spike traps (circle him I think)

Didn't know about that one.  2 other quick questions:

1.  Can the waterspout take Ammy up in the digging sequences?  Iíve used it to take the other guy up, but Iíve tried and tried and canít get it to take Ammy up.  Frustrating.

2.  I've actually made it to the bottom (I assume it's the bottom, since it's an entire row of unbreakable rocks with nothing below it), but I assume the other guy needs to make it down too.  Correct?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2006, 05:44:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 12, 2006, 04:47:57 PM

1.  Can the waterspout take Ammy up in the digging sequences?  Iíve used it to take the other guy up, but Iíve tried and tried and canít get it to take Ammy up.  Frustrating.

2.  I've actually made it to the bottom (I assume it's the bottom, since it's an entire row of unbreakable rocks with nothing below it), but I assume the other guy needs to make it down too.  Correct?

1) No. Kinda strange if you ask me, but Ammy can jump pretty far up (and thus can get around to places that you couldn't with the guy).

2) Yes.

One last note - make sure you hit L1 (I think) to get the hints for the section (it tells you the button at the top of the screen). It'll tell you any other tricks for getting the guy around the level that we missed.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2006, 05:52:37 PM »

Yeah, that part can be a nuisance.

Slash him to make him turn around.

Slash blocks to break them.

Dig blocks to break them.

Use bombs to break multiple blocks (can save time).

Blow wind to lift him across spikes.

Once he gets to the bottom, just follow him patiently until he finds where to dig.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2006, 06:33:17 PM »

There's a fantastic Okami walkthrough up at MyCheats.  I've used it to power through a few places.  It includes videos of the annoying digging sections. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2006, 06:43:09 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 12, 2006, 06:33:17 PM

There's a fantastic Okami walkthrough up at MyCheats.  I've used it to power through a few places.  It includes videos of the annoying digging sections. 

Dude, you are a lifesaver.  That will be such a huge help.  The only guide on GameFAQs is done off the Japanese version, which apparently uses a lot of different names for characters & places.  Makes it a little tough to figure out.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:13 PM »

For anyone intersted, Okami sold 87k last month which is decent if not really a hit.  It will likely end up selling more in North America than Japan. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2006, 01:59:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 13, 2006, 01:23:13 PM

For anyone intersted, Okami sold 87k last month which is decent if not really a hit.  It will likely end up selling more in North America than Japan. 

I actually can't find it ANYWHERE in japan!  I havent actually asked for it but I never see it on the shelves.  I asked a couple of kids what they thought of Okami (I'm assuming that's what it's called in Japan) and they had no idea what I was talking about!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2006, 05:37:45 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 30, 2006, 01:59:45 AM

Quote from: rrmorton on September 29, 2006, 11:36:58 PM

Man, Issun loves tits.

Spoiler for Hiden:
keeping issun happy = bumping rao at every opportunity...

Just got to this part last night, and was highly amused.  Of course, Mrs. Gratch happened to be in the room at the time, so there was a lot of  Roll Eyes coming from her direction.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2006, 07:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 13, 2006, 05:37:45 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on September 30, 2006, 01:59:45 AM

Quote from: rrmorton on September 29, 2006, 11:36:58 PM

Man, Issun loves tits.

Spoiler for Hiden:
keeping issun happy = bumping rao at every opportunity...

Just got to this part last night, and was highly amused.  Of course, Mrs. Gratch happened to be in the room at the time, so there was a lot of  Roll Eyes coming from her direction.

Spoiler for Hiden:
it's busty babe! yeah, okami has it's share of very memorable 'features' (& rao just happens to sport 2 of'm)...

2 weeks gone, & i still smile when i think of okami smile . glad to see you got past the digging game...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2006, 02:38:52 PM »

Well I picked this game up in Akihabara today.  It was a split between buying this or buying a Gamecube and a memory card and Zelda:WindWaker.  I went for the cheaper option.  I'm about two a half hours in and lovin it so far!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2006, 04:36:12 AM »

Wshew! Just finished this! It was my goal to get this bad boy done by the "Wiikend" and I manged it. I thought the game was great. Very, VERY derivative of Zelda - at times in almost a plaguristic sense - but that's fine since I am not a member of the originality police. The brush stroke stuff was a bit awkward at first, but proved to be a very cool game mechanic and certainly more elegant than Zelda's item swapping.

I do think that the game was a bit overly long. Hours 15-25 weren't all that compelling as I remember them. And the last 5-8 hours were marred by a lot of unskippable "cut scenes" that kept hammering the same plot points home over and over again needlessly. Still, these are nit picks of one of the best games I've played in quite a while. I didn't find everything by any stretch and it was still 40 hours of play. Highly recommended and in fact this is probably the best PS2 game I've played. (There's still a lot I need to try though...if I ever get the time.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »

I just started this last night and I like it a lot.  I'm a bit creaky on the action games so the level of difficulty seems about right for me.  I love the art style.  My sons were amazed - "Wow that looks like a painting!"

The one thing about it is the graphics seem to give me eyestrain.  I'm playing on an SDTV that typically looks great for my other PS2 games.  For some reason Okami, with either S-video or component cables, just seems blurry or fuzzy or something.  I noticed it last night while I was playing and at the end of an hour or two my eyes hurt.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2007, 05:54:47 AM »

I've decided to tackle my backlog...so I'm continuing my play-through.  And enjoying it as much as I did before.  I thought I was somewhat far into the game before, and after checking a FAQ because of a freakin' hard bandit spider (goddamned spider pit), I'm not even close to the end. 

I sorta enjoy the digging parts  smoke

TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2007, 06:11:17 PM »

I'm only 3-5 hours from the end of this one so I've been meaning to get back to it and finish it up. Such a great game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »

awise!

just read that this is coming to the PS3, and it reminded me I never finished the game  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2012, 03:03:09 AM »

Now there's an HD update I want to try!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2012, 06:49:14 AM »

Here's a trailer for Okami HD, including comparisons with the original version.  The game is coming out in the fall  on PSN for $20.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

Awesome.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »

I got about halfway through on the Wii before Nintendo had to fix my console (and wipe the HD in the process), so I guess I'm in.

This should really be coming for the Vita, though.  I guess they didn't want to redo controls to add in drawing on the screen.  Works well in the DS game, but it would require more than just cleaning the graphics up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »

Hm...didn't finish the game on PS2, got rid of it for the "definitive version" on the Wii, which I also didn't finish. Do I wait for it on the PS3 and actually finish it this time?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:42 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 20, 2012, 06:49:14 AM

Here's a trailer for Okami HD, including comparisons with the original version.  The game is coming out in the fall  on PSN for $20.

that looks kinda nice-  never realized how blurry the old graphics were.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »

Okami HD is hitting October 30th!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »

new trailer too.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: