http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:15:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okami impressions  (Read 18837 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2006, 11:16:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 30, 2006, 04:55:30 PM

Re: barking- you can buy an upgrade for it from the Dojo mast that makes it much more useful. 

Or at least much more disturbing.  icon_lol

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2006, 11:42:06 PM »

one brush stroke left to find...

Spoiler for Hiden:
really liked oni island - my limited gymnastic skills make navigating the dungeons & minigames challenging enough to make up for the relatively easy bosses. they're all very beautiful - especially ninetails - but, with maybe the exception of the first waka encounter, not so difficult (now, the optional second-trip-down-the-spider-hole-gauntlet? - that, for me, got a little frantic/nasty...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2006, 04:40:52 PM »

I put another couple hours in this morning and I am really enjoying it. Aside from the brush stroke mechanic and the graphics this game is VERY much like Zelda Wind Waker (that's not an insult). Since I love Zelda, I am enjoying this thoroughly. I have cured 2 of the saplings and have been running around the area outside of the village. I've picked up the first 2 moves from the dojo. Fun stuff.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2006, 05:31:54 PM »

So I finally completed Okami.  ninja Took me roughly 36.5 hours and it was definitely a memorable experience. What was up with the final boss being a
Spoiler for Hiden:
huge ass ball
. After fighting
Spoiler for Hiden:
Orochi and Ninetails
I expected something bigger and nastier. The
Spoiler for Hiden:
mech version of the last big-ball boss
was pretty cool though.

The story felt kind of disjointed at the end. It was like they were trying to piece together these different hodge podge elements into a cohesive story. For those who have completed the game:
Spoiler for Hiden:
What was that queer Waka's role again? He was the one who piloted the Yamato Ark? Was it his fault it crashed? Or did it crash because of the demons it was carrying? And why was the ark full of demons anyway? Was it supposed to carry the demons to the Celestial Plane?

I think it's safe to say that this is the closest thing you're going to get to a Zelda-like experience on the PS2. You've got the novel visual styles and theme, quirky and eccentric NPCs, and a real sweeping epic sense of a larger-than-life adventure. The use of ancient Japanese mythology as a backdrop to the story is a new and welcome addition as well. This is one of those games where it just draws you into the world and the story and gets you to play that "one hour more" to see what happens next.

I was worred that the Celestial Brush ability in the game would be a gimmicky contrivance, but it actually turns out to be really well implemented feature in the game not just in the aspects of boss-battles and puzzles, but in general exploration. There are also tons of little treasures and knick-knacks that you can collect and the mini-games are also interesting diversions from just running around doing sub-quests.

The world is just really rich and inviting. Besides the similar cel-shaded visual style, playing the game just really brings back memories of playing Zelda: Wind Waker.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2006, 11:40:17 PM »

Ok, I'm 2-3 hours in and this game just isn't grabbing me.  The dialogue seems to be a large part of it so far - the intro was like an extended kick to the nuts, and so far there's way more dialogue than I'm interested in reading.  Dialogue aside, the art style is awesome but something about the gameplay has yet to really click for me yet - maybe I need to get further in the game?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2006, 12:35:13 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on October 02, 2006, 11:40:17 PM

Ok, I'm 2-3 hours in and this game just isn't grabbing me.  The dialogue seems to be a large part of it so far - the intro was like an extended kick to the nuts, and so far there's way more dialogue than I'm interested in reading.  Dialogue aside, the art style is awesome but something about the gameplay has yet to really click for me yet - maybe I need to get further in the game?

Have you made it to Shinsu Field yet?  That's the point where most people can tell if they will enjoy it or not.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2006, 01:52:41 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on October 02, 2006, 11:40:17 PM

Dialogue aside, the art style is awesome but something about the gameplay has yet to really click for me yet - maybe I need to get further in the game?

simple answer: yes, you do...

you've yet to experience the true power of the brushstoke - pretty sure you'll start enjoying the game once you do (tip: use the triangle button to paint with, if you haven't already. i was a number of hours into the game before i figured that one out, and've never used the square button since)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2006, 03:09:22 AM »

Tonight Okami took the leap to awesomeness. I finally got to the first "proper" dungeon in the game. (The ruins in the forest where you are looking for the dog.) I think the game's biggest flaw for me so far is the slow start. I kept wondering when I would get to a real dungeon and tonight I finally got there. This game is so channeling the best parts of Zelda. Loved the vine grab brush stroke. Loved the log speeding towards the waterfall segment. Fun! Fun! FUN!

ME LOVE OKAMI~!

-John

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2006, 12:16:18 PM »

finished... & i feel like the animals do after ammy feeds them - all praise to clover!...

bottom line for me - the brushstoke mechanism elevates what's already a beautiful, unique adventure into the realm of timeless greatness. okami's an amazing artistic achievement & a true gaming treasure...

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2006, 12:31:42 PM »

Loved the log speeding towards the waterfall segment. Fun! Fun! FUN!

I too just finished the dungeon with the
Spoiler for Hiden:
spider queen
.  However, i don't know what log speeding toward the water fall segment you're referring to.

Splain.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2006, 12:41:09 PM »

Sorry ATB, it's not actually a part of that dungeon. It's something you can encounter soon afterwards.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 04, 2006, 03:09:22 AM

Tonight Okami took the leap to awesomeness. I finally got to the first "proper" dungeon in the game. (The ruins in the forest where you are looking for the dog.) I think the game's biggest flaw for me so far is the slow start. I kept wondering when I would get to a real dungeon and tonight I finally got there. This game is so channeling the best parts of Zelda. Loved the vine grab brush stroke. Loved the log speeding towards the waterfall segment. Fun! Fun! FUN!

ME LOVE OKAMI~!

FWIW, so you don't get your expectations out of wack, the second proper dungeon is considerably shorter than the first.  Still pretty neat, but not as good IMO.  I'm nearing the end of the game and I'd say that the dungeon you just finished is probably the second biggest I've played through.  Okami is a bit more organic than Zelda is when it comes to dungeons- some are pretty large, some are small, some have boss battles, some don't, etc.  Works great but it's a bit jarring after umpteen Zelda games have sort of conditioned you to be ready for "the dungeon". 

Quote from: ATB
However, i don't know what log speeding toward the water fall segment you're referring to.

You'll be there soon. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2006, 01:02:39 AM »

BWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWA

Oh God that opening was the worst thing ever.

But after that it turns great.
Question, is there any trick to the wanted list missions?  I'm doing the Taka Pass one and I am down to the last guy but I cannot get him to show up to save my life.  Do they just randomly show up as you battle?  I am now on my fourth consecutive night running back and forth fighting guys and I haven't seen him yet.  It's very tedious.  I'd say "thankfully I have the day->night" power but it doesn't seem to be helping.  Any tips?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2006, 01:14:44 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 05, 2006, 01:02:39 AM

Question, is there any trick to the wanted list missions?  I'm doing the Taka Pass one and I am down to the last guy but I cannot get him to show up to save my life.  Do they just randomly show up as you battle?  I am now on my fourth consecutive night running back and forth fighting guys and I haven't seen him yet.  It's very tedious.  I'd say "thankfully I have the day->night" power but it doesn't seem to be helping.  Any tips?

they're all there, in certain particular spots (once you've got the list), in the same area. i just kept it night & cleared the area. make sure you clear the entire area:

Spoiler for Hiden:
in taka pass, there's that part of the area that led to the guardian sapling...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:20:05 AM by semiconscious » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »

Yeah, it's not randomized.  The big thing is trying to kill them all in one night so you aren't fighting the same baddies over again each night.  Later in the game you will get an ability to keep it night all of the time which makes it much easier. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2006, 12:50:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2006, 12:20:32 PM

Later in the game you will get an ability to keep it night all of the time which makes it much easier. 

oops! - that is correct...

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2006, 02:54:38 PM »

I am firmly grounded in terra firma and hold steadfast the belief that the intro to this game was a MAJOR misstep. While I can understand the argument that the game is attempting to paint a tapestry of an old Japanese tale, It is unforgivable in this day an age to make me endure that introduction. Designers understood a long time ago that the patience of a gamer is finite and have improved the story telling. Zelda does this masterfully; you are playing the game while the story lovingly weaves around you.

That said, I truly applaud the originality of this game. The art style is worth the price of admission alone. I am struggling to get into it, but between this board and Mr. Mortonís rabid praise for this game. I am holding on and enduring even further abuse of reading more text. While I UNDERSTAND WHY they didnít pay for vocal talent (the amount of text and the localizations) it really takes this down a notch for me. My kids are LOVING this game and they glaze over with all the text, if it was voice acted it would have been great.

Holding onÖ waiting for the true greatness to kick in. 

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2006, 03:52:46 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on October 05, 2006, 02:54:38 PM

I am firmly grounded in terra firma...

well, i'm glad we got that cleared up...

seriously, having watched it a second time, the intro just isn't/wasn't such a big deal for me (maybe i'm getting... 'mellow'?!), & i'm kinda surprised by how many people it's really rubbed the wrong way. but do hold on - the true greatness will indeed kick in...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »

The intro was perfect.  It gives the game a real "fable" sort of feeling.  Man, are you guys really not that patient or what?  Can't just set the controller down for just 20 minutes and lose yourself in great storytelling?

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »

The intro was ridiculously long, but to be fair Zelda - Wind Waker also had a long (if not so long as Okami's) and unskippable intro.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »

While I UNDERSTAND WHY they didnít pay for vocal talent (the amount of text and the localizations) it really takes this down a notch for me.

It was a sytlistic choice- localization wasn't an issue, the Japanese edition used the same bizarre language.  The amount of dialogue in Okami isn't so much that they couldn't have afforded voice talent if they didn't want to. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »

Hearing the characters actually talking via voice-acting would suck.

I like the gibberish a lot and feel as if it was definitely the right choice.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2006, 09:37:23 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 05, 2006, 09:02:35 PM

Can't agree with that.  Gibberish is preferable to poor voice acting, sure, but I think Okami would  actually have benefitted from a great vocal ensemble. 

I would like the gibberish more if there was more variety in their tone but it's all pretty much the same.  More stuff like the kids doing their sing-song gibberish in Sei-In would have been much appreciated. 
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2006, 12:30:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2006, 09:37:23 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 05, 2006, 09:02:35 PM

Can't agree with that.  Gibberish is preferable to poor voice acting, sure, but I think Okami would  actually have benefitted from a great vocal ensemble. 

I would like the gibberish more if there was more variety in their tone but it's all pretty much the same.  More stuff like the kids doing their sing-song gibberish in Sei-In would have been much appreciated. 

I agree, I don't like the gibberish in this game at all.  I would have loved for the opening cinema to have been spoken in real Japanese.  English would have killed it for me, but the narrative in Japanese would have been nice.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2006, 04:35:24 AM »

OK, the log part was annoying, but I'm past that now.  I found one interesting thing (and if it's already been posted oops!):  You guys know on the loading screens, when you have 5-6 little pawprints that scroll across the bottom of the screen and end with a tree like character?  well, if you hit the X button you get big pawprints.  If you manage to time hitting the X button to make all the prints big before they end in the tree figure you are rewarded with a Demon Fang.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2006, 04:59:51 AM »

The gibberish makes me that much more immersed in the world that is created by Okami.  It's like, their cute gibberish language is being translated for me when it scrolls in the text.  Like, watching a foreign movie or something...

TheMissingLink on PSN
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »

To each his own I suppose. It is a valid point, that horrible voice talent would have been "cheesy". If I want to watch something, Ill put in a movie. If I want to read something, Ill buy a book. I purchase games to PLAY THEM. Not READ THEM, not to ADMIRE the art.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2006, 02:46:57 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on October 06, 2006, 01:11:19 PM

I purchase games to PLAY THEM. Not READ THEM, not to ADMIRE the art.

warning: while you might've purchased okami to play it, you're gonna have a hard time getting thru it without admiring the art...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »

I'm just over 7 hrs into it now and it's still quite absorbing.  I wouldn't quite yet give it the A grade yet, but I really enjoyed the big boss battle (while searching for the dog) and the log shooting down the waterfall was fun (if a bit frustrating).

Right now it's a B+.

I do LOVE how many things there are to collect and explore for- though I doubt I'll get them all.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »

A couple of things that help for brushstrokes (and the log sequence in particular):

When you can interact with something, you will see wispy clouds of a certain color so when connecting two items with a vine you should see little green clouds on each end of the line.

Also, there is a slight "magnetism" to items you can interact with so you need only get the brush in the right general area and let go of the analog stick and the game should actually move the brush to the correct point of interaction. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2006, 03:23:32 PM »

The intro was twice as long as it needed to be, the art style was plain and unengaging, and the gibberish is grating at best.  I thought something was wrong with my audio setup at first.  You should have at least been able to speed up the text like you can in normal dialog.  I kept imagining it with normal Japanese dialog with English subtitles, thinking how good that would be.  When I find myself longing for Simlish I know there's a problem.

Thankfully when it's done, it's done and (so far at least) you don't have to go through anything that long again, and MOST of the dialog you can speed up.  If you tear up at that, I can't imagine what your normal life must be like.  You must start bawling when you're driving down a street and a light turns yellow on you  crybaby
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2006, 06:07:49 PM »

Well, I hit the half-way point, or at least I think I did...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just fought the 8-headed dragon thing whose name I can't remember.

Awesome sequence leading up to it, awesome battle (and battles in general), and I just want to sit down and charge right through the game until the end. Fantastic piece of work so far.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »

Well I've made it a little farther into the game, and I definitely agree that it starts channeling Zelda at some point (which is a good thing).  I still don't think it's anywhere near GOTY material, but I'm starting to enjoy and it's earned a spot on my play rotation.

This game needs to be made for the Wii.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on October 06, 2006, 07:08:03 PM

... it's earned a spot on my play rotation.

i'm gonna file that one under 'tempered enthusiasm' smile ...

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2006, 12:53:43 AM »

There are little things in this game that remind me of just how damn good Zelda games are and how much I want to play Zelda when I play games like Okami.  Yes, I am still playing and enjoying the heck out of Okami... but every time I turn it on I say to myself, "Christ I wish Twilight Princess was out!"  Oh well, this is a fantastic game to fill the time!

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2006, 04:59:30 AM »

I'm about 8 hrs into it and...I'm getting bored.  retard
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 20, 2006, 03:08:07 PM

Manual is thick (for a console) and weighs in at 40 pages.  Looks like it explains some of the mythology, who  the gameplay and gives to obligatory tips..

Oh and it smells really nice too...smells like....love.

Quote from: ATB on September 20, 2006, 05:08:24 PM

It might be that I've been anticipating this game for so long, but reading the manual has gotten me even more exciting.

Quote from: ATB on October 07, 2006, 04:59:30 AM

I'm about 8 hrs into it and...I'm getting bored.  retard

& that one goes under 'awesome manual, meh game' (not too many of those smile )...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2006, 01:06:11 AM »

I dunno what it is...It's beautiful, sure.  Combat is fun, sure.  Expansive environments, sure.  But it's just missing something for me at this point.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:25 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2006, 01:06:11 AM

I dunno what it is...It's beautiful, sure.  Combat is fun, sure.  Expansive environments, sure.  But it's just missing something for me at this point.

If you do get a Wii, think very, very hard before getting Twilight Princess. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2006, 04:10:07 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 08, 2006, 03:33:25 AM

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2006, 01:06:11 AM

If you do get a Wii, think very, very hard before getting Twilight Princess. 

I don't know if I would say that. I'm in the same boat as ATB. I've just not found the game all that engrossing for some reason. I know I'm still fairly early (maybe 7 hours in?), but it just hasn't grabbed me. I haven't even loaded it up this weekend so far (and probably won't).

On the other hand, I've loved all the Zeldas I've played, including Wind Waker. For some reason, Zelda has a certain something that I haven't found yet in Okami.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: