http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok so how do I play HL2 if the comp has no internet?  (Read 3189 times)
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2004, 01:38:28 AM »

Sorry im sure this has probably been covered before but...

I installed HL2 on my comp which doesnt have internet for a few days, however I obviously have internet access just not on the machine I will be using to play HL2. How do I handle this?
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

You can't, at least not as far as I know. You have to activate the CD key online with Steam for the game to work.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 03:59:48 AM »

you'll have to hook up the hl2 pc to the net for the activation, then after that you'll be fine.  whenever you start the pc with no net, it will come up and ask you if you want to run offline.  click yes or whatever it says and you're set.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 06:53:57 AM »

Yeah, 'tis the suck, but it's clearly labled on the box that an internet connection is required to play the game. In your case, it's required to at least authenticate the game.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 11:19:15 AM »

Ok so how do I play HL2 if the comp has no internet?
You don't.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 02:26:49 PM »

It's as easy as pie!  :wink:

How To Make Steam Offline Mode Work
last edited 09/03/2004 02:05:09 PM by qUiCkSiLvEr

Special Note:
If a game says "100%" but "Not Ready" for offline play, it may be because the purchase process for that game (cd-key or cc purchase transaction) has not yet completed. You need to wait for that to complete before playing offline.

Two Scenarios:
1.  My friend has no Internet connection, how can he set things up so he can play offline?

2. I want to be able to play at a LAN party and they won't have an internet connection there, how can we all play offline?

Answer:
There are several ways to do this that will work for players without Internet access as well as for LAN Parties where there won't be internet access.

Note:
You have to be online somewhere at least once to perform all of the following steps.

The first step here is to perform the latest update and capture it. This is very important to make sure you get the latest content and bug fixes.  Everyone that will be participating at the LAN event must have the latest update!

Easiest way
Bring the computer that will be playing offline to an available internet connection at a friend's house, school or perhaps business.  Log into the account and do all the updates, make sure it all works.

Then "exit" (do not log out!) from Steam, go to the Steam folder and make a copy of the clientregistry.blob file (just in case).  Write-protect the copy (mark it Read/Only).

Physically unplug the computer from the internet, start up Steam and let it fall back into offline mode.  Make sure the computer will play both Listenserver (LAN), client and the single player ok, then exit from Steam again.

WIN98
If this is a WIN98 computer, it will act like it's stuck updating and not logging in, JUST WAIT!  It will take about 90 seconds for it to finally figure out that there isn't an active internet connection then it will prompt you to retry or go into offline mode.

The computer is now ready to play offline at home unless he accidentally logs out ...

If he does this he won't be able to play unless he verifies online again >> or << exits from Steam, then copies the copy of the clientregistry.blob file back which will restore his offline play.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE ACTIVE ClientRegistry.blob FILE IS NOT WRITE PROTECTED!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to burn a CD of the working offline installation for him.

Next Easiest way
Do all the above on a different computer, IE: install Steam, log into his account, do all the updates, exit from Steam, make the copy of the Clientregistry.blob file, start up and let it fall back into offline mode, make sure it all works, then exit again.

Then burn a CD of the install and take the CD to the remote computer and copy the install there.

Very Important! Make sure the files are placed on the exact same Disk and Path!

You might have to make sure that all the files you copy off the CDRom are not marked read-only.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 03:47:46 PM »

If your computer doesn't want to play Half Life 2, why are you forcing it?

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
bimbo15
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 05:07:48 PM »

The whole internet to activate thing is incredibly retarded....LOTS of people don't have internet access.

I personally have a cell phone and no land line service at home so I can't  even install an AOL trial just to activate the game.   I don't want to pay $40 for broadband as I can surf all day here at work and I don't need it at home.   And, no, I'm not physically unhooking my computer and bringing it into work.

SO, I can't play this game...it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in computer gaming.

** Go Beavs! **
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 06:42:15 PM »

Ha HA, and another joins the Anti-Steam Coalition. I suppose it is unfortunate that those who want to play the game but don't have an internet connection can't. I wouldn't call the process "retarded" though. Valve has obviously weighed the pros and cons here, and they feel that their method is best suited for the kind of distribution and security that they want their games to have. Steam sure has plenty of kinks to work out, but I think that the core concept is brilliant, and I do think that this is a likely "way of the future" setup. I'll be grabbing HL2 through Steam once I can afford a new rig.

But I want to ask, what kinds of games do you play on your computer without an internet connection? Obviously not multiplayer games. How do you update the games? How do you update your drivers? Do you grab all of that stuff from work? How can you live like that, man??

Oh, and Wolverine, I'd haul your box over to a friends house just to authenticate and update the game. Don't forget to grab HL2 Multiplayer!!! slywink

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 07:18:17 PM »

Quote from: "bimbo15"

I personally have a cell phone and no land line service at home so I can't  even install an AOL trial just to activate the game.  

As an aside here, I wouldn't install an AOL trial for ANY reason. Not only can it screw up your computer, they are hell to get disconnected from once your trial is over. AOL is notorious for continuing to "oops" bill  you beyond the trial period, and they make you call an 800 number to cancel, and they will hard-sell you on staying. It's like pulling teeth to get them to simply cancel the account.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 07:50:01 PM »

I know some people use their cell phones to connect to the internet via a USB port.  You could sign up for NetZero and get it that way.  But I have no idea about the cost and procedural hassle.  There has been talk bantered around for a while of software in general moving to a similar distribution method.  It's just starting to happen now, and once again games are pushing the cutting edge of innovation.

Teh internet is teh future.  Teh future is now.  Jack on!  smile
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 08:17:54 PM »

Ditto what Jeff said.  AOL is satanspawn... keep their bloatware-installing, never-disconnecting asses off your computer.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 08:24:03 PM »

And the internet-only deal doesn't bug me so much as the idea that I am dependent on some distant server for whether or not I can install the damn game.  It should become absolute standard procedure, if this net-registration thing becomes common, to release patches as soon as a company folds or ceases to support a given game.  These patches should allow owners of the game to skip internet registration if, in the future, the game's company has gone under.  I don't know about others but I like to reinstall games that are 5+ years old, and a lot can happen in five years.

I suppose the warez community will come up with such patches anyway, but it would be nice if we didn't have to seek out the help of pirates in order to deal with software companies' measures to prevent piracy.
bimbo15
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 11:02:01 PM »

Well, right now I am playing:

War in the Pacific
Battles in Normandy
Combat Mission
Victoria
Championship Manager 03/04
War: Age of Imperialism
Blitzkreig

I used to have cable and spent endless hours online playing Raven Shield and some of the MMOG's but it took too much time away from other things I love to do so I dropped it and now play single player wargames predominentely.  

I've actually done the AOL thingy a bunch of times in the past and never been charged anything...guess I was lucky.

Obviously, If I had a connection it wouldn't bother me so I'm kind of speaking out my ass, and I understand their thinking and they will still sell more than enough but it just bugs me since I cannot play and I'm sure there's lots of others.

** Go Beavs! **
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 03:44:01 PM »

I agree, it's redicilous to have to get online just to register half-life 2. I'm in a similiar situation with my gaming laptop - no internet access at all, until the end of the month when I have my own dsl line installed. In the mean time I use my jumpgate (1gb) card to download patches, or anything else, and transfer them to my laptop.

However, even as much as I dislike Steam and Valve's "online only" leaning policy, you should have known that you needed an internet connection before buying the game.
I remember reading an interview (or maybe it was a press release) that said you HAD to be online for the first time to get Half Life 2 installed. After the first time, you should be able to play offline.
That announcement, along with the lack of bot support, led me to not buy the game.

If you haven't had the game for that long, perhaps you could try returning it to the store? Let me know you can't even play the game because it requires an internet connection which you don't have. Tell them you were mislead by the box. If you can't get a refund, negotiate for store credit (I've done this a few times myself for an open game that just plain sucked and won most of them) and pick up Unreal Tournament 2004 (perfect for offline play)! You'll have some change left over as well to get another bargain priced game. Maybe Battlefield 1942, decent offline game but the AI needs a lot of work. (Which it will never get.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 03:46:06 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

If you haven't had the game for that long, perhaps you could try returning it to the store? Let me know you can't even play the game because it requires an internet connection which you don't have. Tell them you were mislead by the box.

Which would be a lie, as it clearly states on the box "Internet Connection Required".  Not "recommended", but "required".
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 09:20:22 PM »

There's a sign posted in our Best Buy on the shelf in front of Half-Life 2 that says "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED TO PLAY. NO RETURNS ON OPENED COPIES"

Good luck returning it.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 09:38:59 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Quote from: "corruptrelic"

If you haven't had the game for that long, perhaps you could try returning it to the store? Let me know you can't even play the game because it requires an internet connection which you don't have. Tell them you were mislead by the box.

Which would be a lie, as it clearly states on the box "Internet Connection Required".  Not "recommended", but "required".

I totally agree with you, but honestly....who the hell reads that anyway?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 09:43:16 PM »

Intelligent consumers.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 10:35:28 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Intelligent consumers.

Zing![/i]

\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2004, 08:42:39 PM »

Intelligent consumers.

Unfortunately not everything falls under the intelligent/non-intelligent categories. What about a mom who is buying her kid a Christmas present and because she's in a hurry, or maybe because she just doesn't know, buys the game without heeding the warning?

I actually like the security precautions for HL2 because I'd like to stomp out as many pirates as possible, i'm only making the point that some honest people are gonna be disappointed to find they cant run the game.
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 09:07:57 PM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"

I suppose the warez community will come up with such patches anyway, but it would be nice if we didn't have to seek out the help of pirates in order to deal with software companies' measures to prevent piracy.

I hate the online reg thing also, but this line that I've heard from others just tickles me silly.  If you can download a hack....then you obviously have net access.

Unfortunately not everything falls under the intelligent/non-intelligent categories. What about a mom who is buying her kid a Christmas present and because she's in a hurry, or maybe because she just doesn't know, buys the game without heeding the warning?

This also cracks me up.  If said mom does this without reading the requirements, then she could be buying a game that their pc cannot handle.  

It's like a box of cigarettes.  The warning is there, if you don't read it, it's not the fault of the company.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 11:02:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Intelligent consumers.
pwnt.

Caveat emptor.  There's a reason that line has survived a couple thousand years.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: