http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:58:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, I now get it.  (Read 2448 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2005, 03:39:46 AM »

Tonight I was playing several Xbox games on my new 46inch plasma TV. This thought crossed my mind...

"I might not ever want to play games on my pc again"

I think I need to spend a few hours playing a colecovision on a 13 inch black & white TV to detox

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:48:31 AM »

Welcome aboard!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 04:06:25 AM »

WoW.

Nuff said.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:23:06 AM »

Blasphemy!  Why not treat yourself to both?!
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 05:23:15 AM »

I've been playing a lot of console games for the past couple of weeks.  Like you, I've got a new big TV.  I really do like console games a lot for the comfort of just firing 'em up and playing, and for most kinds of single player games I think they've got the advantage at this point.  Resident Evil 4 is a fantastic game!  Half-life 2 is maybe the only recent exception, it's hard to beat a really good FPS with mouse and keyboard (but I did play Xbox Riddick and loved it...)  I suppose if RTS were your thing you'd feel the same about virtually any good RTS, but I don't much care for them.

Online games are another story entirely.  There's nothing like Battlefield 1942 or Counter-strike on consoles yet.  Halo 2 online is fun for a few minutes at a time, but it's nothing special, it just feels like any random PC deathmatch game most of the time,  and less than half the people in random online games even have headsets at present (all on their free trials), so you can't even have fun just talking to 'em.  Mechassault 2 is pretty cool if you get on a good team, but it still can't match 1942.  The most fun I've had online with Xbox live so far is Burnout 3, and that just because you can actually talk to people while playing.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:02:35 AM »

Congrats on the acquisition!  I already play more X-Box games on my 52" DLP than I do on my desktop.  But it has actually inspired me to build an HTPC (or just buy one).  I would love to play some Neverwinter Nights or UT2K4 on it. smile
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 06:24:46 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Congrats on the acquisition!  I already play more X-Box games on my 52" DLP than I do on my desktop.  But it has actually inspired me to build an HTPC (or just buy one).  I would love to play some Neverwinter Nights or UT2K4 on it. smile

I say go for it.  I bult a HTPC recently too.  I'm running Linux and Myth TV though, not doing any gaming with it.  Nevertheless, it rocks.  Everything *but* games on the new entertainment center is handled by that box, including DVDs and music, and of course Tivo-like TV recording.

I understand Sage TV works pretty well too if you want to run Windows instead of Linux.  I didn't want to pay the microsoft tax and I wanted code for as much as possible (at this point, the only closed source code I'm runing at all is the driver for my wireless USB network dongle.  It's the windows driver run in a wrapper because there's no native support yet, but it works, and it's only the application level stuff I actually care about)   in case something annoys me enough to go and fix it.  So far nothing's motivated me that much, it's basically better than Tivo already.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 05:01:23 PM »

after close to 20 years of computer gaming (early apple, then pc), i hopped over to console 2+ years ago (while dumping my in-need-of-yet-another-upgrade pc for an ibook), & have never looked back. the combination of ease of use & game variety (not to mention the 'japan factor') added to the pleasure of no longer dealing with winxp (& stuff like video card drivers & patches) has been a revelation - for me, pc gaming's right there with arcade gaming as something i once did, & enjoyed, but'll never do again (tho i'll probably eventually get a cheap used wintel laptop for my favorite oldie-goldies)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 09:22:48 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"

after close to 20 years of computer gaming (early apple, then pc), i hopped over to console 2+ years ago (while dumping my in-need-of-yet-another-upgrade pc for an ibook), & have never looked back. the combination of ease of use & game variety (not to mention the 'japan factor') added to the pleasure of no longer dealing with winxp (& stuff like video card drivers & patches) has been a revelation - for me, pc gaming's right there with arcade gaming as something i once did, & enjoyed, but'll never do again (tho i'll probably eventually get a cheap used wintel laptop for my favorite oldie-goldies)...

Yeah I let my computer gaming world subscription lapse that I have had since it started about 20 years ago. I have been getting my gaming fix from consoles for the last 2+ years and have enjoyed the ride. Although, I was looking at my copy of New horizons today and getting nostalgic for a play. They don't make deep strategy games for consoles yet. Although they probably will. There is a modern mech warfare type game coming out for Xbox in Feb, I might check out. Sid's pirates is coming out in may I think. If that is anything like the old PC game it should be awesome.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »

Got my XBOX Christmas 2002.

Have not bought or played PC game since then.

Got my 6.1 surround sound Christmas 2003.

Don't have any plans to ever go back to PC gaming...even took my speaker set up into work so that I could listen to music.

Last upgrade I made was when I built a new PC November 2001.  You know what? For everythng but gaming, it still works great.  I'm off that treadmill and don't know that I'll ever get back on.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »

I started out as a staunch PC gamer. That all changed this generation. There is very little money in PC GAMES... (UNLESS YOU ARE BLIZZARD OR VALVE) That all the major companies put all their cash into developing console games. This is not my opinion, this is 9 years in video game development. So naturally the console games are going to be great experiences.

I too am weary of fighting with a PC for gaming, there I said it.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 04:09:38 PM »

The fact that I can pick up a console and about 25-30 A-list games for the price of one gaming PC (that will be outdated in a month) is what ultimately switched me.  I simply got tired of spending the money on upgrading my PC.

For years, I did a major upgrade (some combination of new CPU, mobo, RAM, vid card) about every 6 months.  I picked up a new Geforce FX 5900 video card about 6 months ago (for free), and that's the only upgrade I've done in the past 1 1/2 years.   The upgrade dollars simply aren't worth it for the few games that I'd like to play on my PC.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 05:43:17 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
The fact that I can pick up a console and about 25-30 A-list games for the price of one gaming PC (that will be outdated in a month) is what ultimately switched me.  I simply got tired of spending the money on upgrading my PC.

For years, I did a major upgrade (some combination of new CPU, mobo, RAM, vid card) about every 6 months.  I picked up a new Geforce FX 5900 video card about 6 months ago (for free), and that's the only upgrade I've done in the past 1 1/2 years.   The upgrade dollars simply aren't worth it for the few games that I'd like to play on my PC.

In about 15 years I bought 7 computers primarily to keep up with the games. All of them were over $2000 each. My current computer I have had for about 5 years. And it does everything fine. It won't play gothic but everything else is fine. Gothic is being ported to xbox anyway.  The computers are dropping in price but I still don't see them being anywhere near as cheap as a console. People say the advantage of PC is that the games can be patched. First of all, it's not impossible to patch an xbox game, they just make sure they don't need them beforehand. Versus many PC games I have gotten throughout the years that were shipped unfinished because the companies knew they could finish them later. This is gone in console gaming. It's so nice buying a game and knowing you can actually play it and enjoy it when you get it home. Without waiting for however long for a patch.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 06:34:45 PM »

I'm shocked to read all of this!  I go in stages where I'll play more console, or more PC from time to time, but I hope that I never give one or the other up.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 07:02:38 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
I'm shocked to read all of this!  I go in stages where I'll play more console, or more PC from time to time, but I hope that I never give one or the other up.

I haven't completely given up on PC gaming, but there are simply so few titles that a) interest me or b) I can run on my system.  I've just gone from buying 2-3 PC games a month to 2-3 PC games a year.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 07:12:01 PM »

Drop PC Gaming? NEVER!

Give up on:

World of Warcraft
Gothic 2
Vampire: Bloodlines
Massive Assault
Pirates!
Half-Life 2
Rise of Nations
Far Cry
Kohan 2
Warhammer

and coming up, just to name a very few...

Civ 4
Stalker
Freedom Force vs The Third Reich
FEAR
The Movies
The REAL Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Stronghold 2
Dreamfall
Guild Wars

I have all three consoles, but there is always a place for PC Gaming.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »

If you have deep pockets sure, but not all of us have those deep pockets. I still purchase a few, but like others here, it simply costs too much to get the performance I want.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 08:28:23 PM »

I need to keep my PC relatively up to date for reasons other than gaming, so the ability to play the latest and greatest is just a fringe benefit smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 09:35:56 PM »

I haven't bought a new PC in a couple years.  The one I have is akin to Frankenstein's Monster: parts from here, there and everywhere.  Occasionally I'll swap out a part but I haven't spent more than $300 at any one time.  I've probably spent less than $500 in upgrades in 3 years.

My system plays the games I want to play right now on PC: World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, Thief: DS, Max Payne 2 and several others.  When it can't play the games I want I may upgrade - I may not.

I love my Playstation 2 but even if I did have an amazing Hi-Def TV with surround sound, my wife would spend most of the time in front of it watching Trading Spaces and I would be competing with her to play games on it.  As it stands I play on my PC when she's watching her crap and when she goes to bed I may play something on the PS2.

I just can't seem to do the multi-hour gaming sessions on a console like I can on the PC.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 09:37:17 PM »

Pirates, Gothic, halflife 2 are also coming out on consoles. Probably some of the others as well. Most of the games that are PC only like rise of nations are RTS games, which I don't play anyway on any platform.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Pirates, Gothic, halflife 2 are also coming out on consoles. Probably some of the others as well. Most of the games that are PC only like rise of nations are RTS games, which I don't play anyway on any platform.

That's one thing I do miss. I'd give your left arm for a Disciples game on the XBOX.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 10:14:25 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Pirates, Gothic, halflife 2 are also coming out on consoles...

Gothic is?  That's news to me.  Gothic I came out 3-4 years ago and Gothic II came out two years ago.  I would have thought the market for those games had dried up by now.

They probably would control better on a console though.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 10:47:45 PM »

Did I mention WoW?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »

yeah I think that was up there earlier on. Funny though, i still dont see any game as being good enough for me to spend $2050 for it to run as well as intended  :wink: . Maybe im wrong though. Plus, there always is the off chance when I get that game home there is going to be some sort of "conflict" with something in my computer and then Im not going to be able to play it or return it. But mention it again. Im sure you will convince people to give up their evil console ways ethough   :twisted:  biggrin
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 02:14:18 AM »

If it makes you feel better, I run it on one of my 900MHz 192MB crappy sony laptops with a GeForce2Go and it runs just fine...  and doesn't look that bad to boot.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: