http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:43:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok I changed my mind - Sony sucks :(  (Read 2191 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »

So the BluRay laser in my year old PS3 went out for the second time last week. I'm exactly 1 week over the 90 day warranty from the first time I got it fixed 3 months ago, and 2 weeks over my 12 month warranty - and they're making pay for the repairs ($150 + $29 shipping). The customer service lady went to her supervisor twice, and both times denied it.

Another ~$200 on a machine I bought for $400 a year ago?  Thanks a bunch Sony.   At least when my 360 had a RROD way past the warranty period, they fixed it for free anyways.  If I didn't already own all the other systems, I would probably be returning all the PS3 games I have wrapped under the tree for the kids and exchanging it for another system.

So yeah, the moral of this story is that Sony's customer service sucks.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:34 PM »

If my PS3 dies, I won't be replacing it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »

a 90 day warrenty only? Man, by law we have 2 years warrenty on everything! But sorry to hear that, it really sucks. I had the same issue with my old ps3, nearly 2 years old - got it exchanged quickly though, and the suppliers in denmark admitted there was a problem with the bluray drives

A new one
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »

That does suck but I think comparing it to MS's Red Ring offer is a bit unfair.  That was extremely rare and it wasn't because MS really cares more than Sony it was because they had a huge freaking problem with their design. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 21, 2009, 06:10:34 PM

if mine dies I'll definitely be replacing it....

With a standalone blu Ray player.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

But yeah that sucks, you could get a slim for a few more penny's.

If my PS3 broke I would replaced it with another PS3.

On the other hand, when my 360 broke, I fixed it myself, because MS wanted $200 to fix it, because the warranty was up. But the piece that needed replacing, was only $10, which I bought on eBay for $8. Then I opened my 360, and swapped the pieces and sold it for $100. And took that money and bought a PS3.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:26:16 PM »

When it's your marketplace competitor, it's all apples to apples.

MS has been burned by their hardware failure rates (and I'd put forth that sending "refurbs" has more to do with the continued occurances). Sony isn't a spotless horse in this race though, and I can tell you that Nintendo service is the best, followed by MS from my experience. My PS3 hasn't been used enough to die though, so no calls to Sony.

The one thing to rememver is that Dimmona dealt with one person. Try calling again at a different time and see if they'll honour the warranty. Also, indicate the date of purchase was buffered because it was a gift and hadn't been used for the first 3 weeks due to it being wrapped in a box. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 21, 2009, 06:14:21 PM

a 90 day warrenty only? Man, by law we have 2 years warrenty on everything! But sorry to hear that, it really sucks. I had the same issue with my old ps3, nearly 2 years old - got it exchanged quickly though, and the suppliers in denmark admitted there was a problem with the bluray drives

The PS3 (and 360) have one year warranties.  I believe the 90 days is just for an issue they previously fixed under warranty. 
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 21, 2009, 06:38:51 PM

The PS3 (and 360) have one year warranties.  I believe the 90 days is just for an issue they previously fixed under warranty. 

If you live in the US.   Razgon does not so I believe a different set of laws would apply.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on December 21, 2009, 06:45:36 PM

If you live in the US.   Razgon does not so I believe a different set of laws would apply.

Indeed. I think my PS3 has 5 years warranty, and there's not a thing Sony can do about it. smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on December 21, 2009, 06:45:36 PM

Right- I was just clarifying that the warranty in the US wasn't 90 days as Razgon seemed to think. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »

Welcome to Sony's Customer (dis)Satisfaction.  They're on my permanent boycott list precisely for this reason. http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/#TOC-Introduction
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:00:02 PM by Laner » Logged
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »

Yup, per my original post I was outside of both the 12 month warranty and the 90 day repair warranty by a handful of days... and they didn't budge.

I might take your suggestions and call back tomorrow to see if they'll budge.  About the only positive thing that came out of this was due to me not being able to continue in Dragon Age (PS3), I ended up buying Assassin's Creed 2 for the 360 this morning.    Great game so far!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 21, 2009, 06:17:06 PM

That does suck but I think comparing it to MS's Red Ring offer is a bit unfair.  That was extremely rare and it wasn't because MS really cares more than Sony it was because they had a huge freaking problem with their design. 

bull.shit. remember the disc read error on the ps2? extremely wide spread and sony wanted 100 bucks to fix my ps2. fuck off, sony. i didn't design your broken ass ps2.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »

To each their own.  Personally I believe MS will screw me just as quickly if they think they can.  Obviously you believe one huge corporation is more personally evil than another.  I think they are all about profit more than helping me.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

I would hold both MS and Sony equally "evil" (or however you want to describe it).  MS didn't extend the warranty for RRODs to three years out of the goodness of their heart, they did it to either preempt a class action lawsuit or get ahead of what was turning into a PR nightmare.  If the hardware issues that the PS2 had gotten that level of attention and mindshare then I think Sony would have done the same. 

Nintendo is probably the only one of the three I've heard consistently great things about their customer service.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »

I think the quality of customer service and warranty is relative to the health of sales in any console gen. Case in point;  last gen my brother in-laws Gamecube failed after 6 months with the laser read error that was fairly common amongst launch systems. At the time Nintendo Canada only offered a 90 day warranty and they wanted $100 to fix it - wouldn't budge even after he went to the BBB. Meanwhile my daughter dropped her DS into water and when I took it to Nintendo's walk-in repair center they fixed it free of charge. I even explained why it failed and the tech just shrugged and said "it happens" - a night and day difference in customer service between just 2 consecutive generations.

Sony may be the exception to that, since despite good PS2 sales they were still reluctant to fix PS2 disc read errors. I've just assumed those policies stemmed from the idiocy and arrogance of Krazy Ken Kutaragi, but that's of course just speculation on my behalf.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I've only had one experience with Sony and it was positive.  A couple of years ago I bricked my PSP trying to install custom firmware and I sent it in to them and they unbricked it for free. So according to me Sony is awesome smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 02:02:22 AM »

i have never had any problems with consoles until this Gen,for what its worth my 360 has broken 4 times(disc tray,RRoD,E74 and then RRoD again)...although it sounds like MS have the better services for when this kind of stuff happens(my last RRoD took little over a week for a fixed 360 to get back to me),the bottom line is that this shit shouldn't happen in the first place

if my PS3 does go on me,i doubt i will be replacing it...i am currently playing FF9 on it icon_lol

what positives can we take from the 360 and PS3 having all these hardware failures?....well,perhaps MS and SONY will make the PS4 and Xbox 3 bulletproof

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:38:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 21, 2009, 06:22:09 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 21, 2009, 06:10:34 PM

if mine dies I'll definitely be replacing it....

With a standalone blu Ray player.

i would probably do the same thing...especially considering that any new PS3 i would get now would be missing PS2 compatibility.  as someone who never owned a PS2, i actually own and have played more PS2 games on my PS3 than anything else.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 12:59:01 AM »

Update: So I called Sony a second time to try to get them to cover my PS3 repair since it was only a few weeks out of both the original 12 month and 90 day repair warranty.  This time they said that they are doing a trade in program for all 80GB PS3s, and for $30 than what they are charging me to repair it (since those sonsabitches still wouldn't cover it) they would replace it with a new 120GB system.   So when I asked the rep why they were doing the trade in and whether or not there were known problems with the 80GB, he gave me a long pause and just said "errr.... I'm really not sure how much we're really allowed to say."

Great, so I've now spent $550 on this piece of shit system that sounds like it has known problems.   You know, I've always been a fan of Sony's other products but this has really changed my opinion.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
KC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 01:17:42 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on December 30, 2009, 12:59:01 AM

Update: So I called Sony a second time to try to get them to cover my PS3 repair since it was only a few weeks out of both the original 12 month and 90 day repair warranty.  This time they said that they are doing a trade in program for all 80GB PS3s, and for $30 than what they are charging me to repair it (since those sonsabitches still wouldn't cover it) they would replace it with a new 120GB system.   So when I asked the rep why they were doing the trade in and whether or not there were known problems with the 80GB, he gave me a long pause and just said "errr.... I'm really not sure how much we're really allowed to say."

Great, so I've now spent $550 on this piece of shit system that sounds like it has known problems.   You know, I've always been a fan of Sony's other products but this has really changed my opinion.

Does this mean that you would lose BC?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 02:25:27 AM »

Yes, it means he would lose BC.  The new 120gb systems are the PS3 slims.

Complain to the top, and email gaming websites.  Make a big enough stink and they might replace it for free.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 02:27:50 AM »

Strange - it's not like I've heard of a RRoD level of problem with PS3s.

And some 'upgrade' - in exchange for a bigger HD and smaller system, you lose PS2 BC. Great deal there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 05:00:45 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 30, 2009, 02:27:50 AM

Strange - it's not like I've heard of a RRoD level of problem with PS3s.

And some 'upgrade' - in exchange for a bigger HD and smaller system, you lose PS2 BC. Great deal there.

I'm okay with losing the BC2 as I still have a PS2 in storage and FF13 is the only game I have left I would have any interest in playing.  What kills me is that when I pressed the guy on exactly why they were even exchanging 80GB back in it went something like this:
Me: "So... why exactly are you guys incentivizing people to trade in for the 120GB anyways (since the exchange is cheaper than servicing the 80Gb.  Surely you guys have some reason why you're trying to get folks on the new hardware"
Sony rep: "We're doing it because we want to give people a better system than what they may already have".
Me: "Bullshit - is the Blu Ray issue a known problem with the 80GB?  You guys wouldn't upgrade people out of the goodness of their heart"
Sony rep: <long pause>  "Well.... I'm not really sure what I'm allowed to say about that".

At least MS manned up when the RROD flaw got out there and tried to do the right thing and replace it for free.   The fact that I've spent $550 on this piece of crap for something that's very likely a known problem irks me to no end.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »

People tend to blow things up, thats why.

Yes, a small amount of Bluray drives have issues, but as of yet there is no known percentage. Sony in Denmark has exchanged less than 1 percent of their old 60 GB machines.

Imagine if he had told you "Yes, there are issues with some blu-ray drives" and that they told so to everyone. How soon do you think it will be in the gaming media world that "80 percent of sonys PS3 are FAIL"?

Thats why he didnt tell you more.

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »

Is the Bluray drive any different now than when the PS3 was first introduced? I was under the impression that it was the same, sku over sku, and that changes were simply hard drive size and BC until the slim hit the market.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 04:38:58 PM »

The saga continues....

So per Sony's instructions I sent in my 80gb to be swapped out for a 120gb.   But do you think they bothered to run the transfer utility to move stuff over to the new PS3?  Of course not.  I had backed up my PS3 per their instructions,  but of course when I restored it on my new PS3 HALF MY SAVED GAMES DIDNT TRANSFER as they are 'copy protected' and non-transferrable.  This means my 30 hour Dragon Age saves gone.   45 hours of Demon Souls gone.   Who knows what else.

Sony is the biggest piece of sh1t customer support company I've ever seen.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »

The newest firmware update lets you copy all save games, even the copy protected ones. Did it arrive too late for you to use it?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 23, 2010, 04:41:15 PM

The newest firmware update lets you copy all save games, even the copy protected ones. Did it arrive too late for you to use it?

It did? Hmmm... need to check that out. [runs off]

OK, not what I thought was meant. I thought perhaps I would be able to copy a 'locked' saved game onto a USB (say for example my AC2 save) as a backup I could put back later or perhaps even drop it the other one that I own. No such luck, that's still blocked. What there is now, apparently, is a 'Data Transfer Utility' but you need to have both PS3s in hand and directly connected with an Ethernet cable before you turn them on. Then it looks like you can put everything from one onto the other, with the target PS3 being erased beforehand, locked items are moved while unlocked items are copied.

I'm assuming this is what Dimmona was referring to that was not done for him.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:18:20 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 23, 2010, 04:59:25 PM

It did? Hmmm... need to check that out. [runs off]

OK, not what I thought was meant. I thought perhaps I would be able to copy a 'locked' saved game onto a USB (say for example my AC2 save) as a backup I could put back later or perhaps even drop it the other one that I own. No such luck, that's still blocked. What there is now, apparently, is a 'Data Transfer Utility' but you need to have both PS3s in hand and directly connected with an Ethernet cable before you turn them on. Then it looks like you can put everything from one onto the other, with the target PS3 being erased beforehand, locked items are moved while unlocked items are copied.

I'm assuming this is what Dimmona was referring to that was not done for him.

Blech I have some saved files that I wanted to move from one PS3 to another (Killzone 2 and Fat Princess saves), but they are locked.  I don't want to wipe the target PS3 now though so that sucks.  I read this and thought that maybe I'd be able to move them now.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »

The way the feature works is that requires you to have *both* PS3s hooked together via an ethernet cable.  However, Sony in their infinite wisdom doesn't send you your replacement until you've sent them the broken PS3 - and of course they didn't bother to do the transfer themselves.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:10 AM »

Quote from: Laner on December 21, 2009, 06:58:07 PM

Welcome to Sony's Customer (dis)Satisfaction.  They're on my permanent boycott list precisely for this reason. http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/#TOC-Introduction

Funny thing is my Grand Wega died today. I don't have the desire to deal with them. I'm just done with them. I haven't had any problems with my PS3, but I'm not holding my breath.

[soapbox]
Also, I am of the firm belief that all companies try to do shit like this, no one is innocent or better. They weigh the risks and benefits and if they feel like they can get away with it and make a big impact on the bottom line they do it. They have no ethics or morals, they're inanimate entities that we've given the same rights as humans to. It drives me crazy too, because I am fairly pro-business, just anti ass-hattery like this. I can't people would even defend Microsoft, they did the same thing if not worse. They knowingly sent out millions of crappy Xbox's and made billions off their early success, but they got caught, they lost their bet, but we all suffered too. Okay, I am stepping down now, just mad at all electronics companies right now... [/soapbox]

Dimmona I hope your situation gets worked out. I would be mad as hell.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 02:17:22 AM »

Glad it worked out, looks like Sony is pissing off a lot of people lately.  I know a lot of developers hate working with them.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 24, 2010, 01:55:10 AM

Quote from: Laner on December 21, 2009, 06:58:07 PM

Dimmona I hope your situation gets worked out. I would be mad as hell.

So I called those bastards up to complain about their situation.   Their exact response?   
Sony rep: "Yup, we erase the hard disks of the PS3s as soon as they come in before we even look at servicing".
Me: "So you know full well that we'll lose all of our copy protected saves, but don't bother to let the customer know either on the phone or in the packing information that this could happen?  The only reason I did the swap is because you pushed for it claiming the 80gb had quality issues".
Sony rep: "I'm sorry for the loss of your games".
Me: "So you're basically saying I'm shit out of luck"
Sony rep: "I'm obviously not using those exact words, but yes"

F Sony.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 07:33:14 AM »

Is it sony themselves that exchange your PS3?

Here in Denmark it was another company, and I was specifically told, that I would lose my savegames beforehand. Seems rather strange they wouldnt inform you of this

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: