http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh Snap! Phantom Hourglass is Must Own!  (Read 6946 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 03, 2007, 06:40:36 PM

ok, so it's a toss up between cc for $5 off and the misc crap, or full price at tru with a strat guide, right?  i'm a little price sensitive at this point, so i'm favoring cc, but the guide sounds good to have too.

I don't think it's $5 off at Circuit City, is it?  The standard price is $35.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »

Ok I did the 2nd trip through the Ocean King Temple. It is tedious and annoying, definitely my least favorite part of the game. The new parts are generally an interesting challenge, but replaying the first few levels was just irritating - even though I was able to take shortcuts with new items. This is definitely the "Triforce hunt" part of this Zelda. Padding the length out of a(n apparently) short game.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 07:08:17 PM

Ok I did the 2nd trip through the Ocean King Temple. It is tedious and annoying, definitely my least favorite part of the game. The new parts are generally an interesting challenge, but replaying the first few levels was just irritating - even though I was able to take shortcuts with new items. This is definitely the "Triforce hunt" part of this Zelda. Padding the length out of a(n apparently) short game.

Spoilers!

I just got the boomerang. The boomerang mechanic is brilliant.

how big is the strat guide?  does it include info on all the ship parts, and how detailed is it? 

Full size. Full color. 336 pages.  Quite nice. Has a short little write up of all the previous zelda games too.

And cc is not 5.00 off.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 03, 2007, 08:27:40 PM

how big is the strat guide?  does it include info on all the ship parts, and how detailed is it? 

Full size. Full color. 336 pages.  Quite nice. Has a short little write up of all the previous zelda games too.

And cc is not 5.00 off.

ah.  that settles it then.  i thought i read something about it being 5 off there.  not sure where though. 

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2007, 09:10:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 05:07:50 AM

Stayed up WAY too late playing this and I am tired but I will add this: Controlling the boomerang with the stylus makes the boomerang more fun than in any other Zelda game. It rules.

This game may cripple my right hand though. It's very fatigued.

I highly suggest one of those Nintendo pen stylus's. I got a couple for Brain Age 2 and it's the best gaming thing I've invested in in quite some time.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2007, 09:54:42 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 07:08:17 PM

sounds about right to me (tho i don't really have a problem with it, & didn't with ww, either... now, re-fighting previous boss battles, that i've never been really crazy about smile ) - just their attempt to give people what they really want: quality & quantity. me, i'm happy enough with quality...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2007, 01:02:40 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on October 03, 2007, 09:10:44 PM

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 05:07:50 AM

Stayed up WAY too late playing this and I am tired but I will add this: Controlling the boomerang with the stylus makes the boomerang more fun than in any other Zelda game. It rules.

This game may cripple my right hand though. It's very fatigued.

I highly suggest one of those Nintendo pen stylus's. I got a couple for Brain Age 2 and it's the best gaming thing I've invested in in quite some time.

oooooo.... I need to get some of those!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 03:16:16 AM »

I'm afraid I have officially gained total hatred for the Ocean King Temple. It's a huge blemish on what is otherwise a very fun game. I know I have to go back at least one more time later on, and I will be dreading it. Definitely lowers the game from a 9 to an 8 for me.

-John

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2007, 03:29:34 AM »

Quote from: JCC on October 04, 2007, 03:16:16 AM

I'm afraid I have officially gained total hatred for the Ocean King Temple. It's a huge blemish on what is otherwise a very fun game. I know I have to go back at least one more time later on, and I will be dreading it. Definitely lowers the game from a 9 to an 8 for me.

And that's what I needed to know, I will be skipping it. I hate this kind of thing in a game, so if it drives you nuts, I probably would have quit after 2 tries to never play it again.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:41:30 AM by Lee » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 03:51:39 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 04, 2007, 03:29:34 AM

And that's what I needed to know, I will be skipping it. I hate this kind of thing in a game, so if you drives you nuts, I probably would have quit after 2 tries to never play again.

it's making me kind of glad I held off on grabbing it today.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2007, 04:32:38 AM »

assuming you've (already?!) been thru a third time?...

just finished my second trip thru, & can't say i found it all that tedious or annoying - a little dumb/repetitive, maybe, but that's about it, & definitely nothing so painful/nasty as to take away from the incredible coolness of everything else going on (including the really nicely done other dungeons)...

then again, i'm speaking as someone who was having a pretty good time with tingle's rosy rupeeland right before i started playing this, so go figure...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »

I think I might give this one a shot.  I'm typically not a fan of Zelda games, but I just watched some gameplay videos, and it looks like this one is unique enough for a try.

Does anyone know if the free guide at TRU is offered in-store, or if it's only online?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »

Definitely in store.  It's where I got mine. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »

I've done the temple 3 times (not including the cup of coffee you have in it at the start of the game). The 3rd time was when I really got ticked at it because I ran out of time twice (thankfully the 2nd time I managed to finish it before my health ran out). I wouldn't mind the temple so much without the time limit, but with it I get very annoyed. And, forcing us to replay levels is just lame. I got the midway save point on try #3, so I don't have to do the first half next time, but I really hate doing the new part from the 3rd time with a time limit (it takes me a while), so I will be very stressed out about this when I go back for #4 (and please let #4 be the final time).

-John

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2007, 04:46:21 PM »

Oh, and I hate to be a contributor to keeping people from checking the game out, as it is fantastic aside from this issue. (Well, I am not crazy about the salvage mini-game either, but that's a minor issue.)

I don't generally like timed sequences but I love the Metroids and they all usually have at least one in them too.

-John

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2007, 05:39:12 PM »

i haven't got that far in it yet to get to the ocean king temple, but it looks like it's coming up soon.  still in the fire temple with the boomerang.  i like it, but i really hated a moment when two flames are shooting at you and you have to hit two switches with it before they get you.  it seemed like they were always firing just far apart that i couldn't get a hit off before they got me. 

i like the sailing mechanic, even if it isn't as action oriented as i hoped it would be. 

so far, so good though.  the guide is pretty monstrous and is great quality.  glad i went that route as i would not normally get a guide for a zelda game.  i think that will help with the ocean king temple and i won't get annoyed by it.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2007, 01:47:35 AM »

I just bought the Crimson/Black Brain Age 2 pack and also picked up the Zelda game.
I wasn't expecting to have as much fun as I am with it.

Now I know why this thing is an ATM for Nintendo

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »

Played an hour or so last night (first couple levels of the Fire Temple), and am trying to decide if I like it.  My biggest problem is that I'm having a hell of a time getting it to correctly register my inputs.  Moving leads to sword slashes more often than not, the circle attack only registers about half the time, and somersaulting is completely hit and miss.  While it's not that big of a deal now, I can see where it's going to be a major problem later on.  There have been a couple times where being able to use the D-pad for movement would have been a godsend.  Getting stuck in a room with multiple enemies and trying to maneuver around them while attacking proved to be rather...interesting.

Still, it's pretty unique and I'll keep my fingers crossed that i get more comfortable with the controls as I play. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »

beat the third boss. the bad news (if you wanna call it that) is that, so far anyway, the dungeons & bosses have been pretty easy. the good news is that both are so cleverly & beautifully done (particularly that last boss) that i'm not sure it really matters all that much (especially with other aspects, like the ocean king temple & salvaging, providing enough challenge if that's what you need)...

i'm definitely having a helluva lot more fun with this than i ever did with twilight princess - for all tp's complexity, this just feels like a much more inventive (& charming) game to me...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »

I've just beaten the second boss and agree with semiconcious. It's not a hard game and that's fine by me as it's a wonderfully fun game.  I get stuck a little bit every now and then, but then I figure out what to do (remembering an ability of one of my items) and happily move along.

I love the music, the level design, the simplistic complexity of the puzzles and the narration/conversations.

It's brilliant so far.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 02:43:44 PM »

I don't think it's an easier than the Zelda titles since Wind Waker.  Which is to say that it's definitely easy but I don't think PH should have been singled out for it in the reviews.

I'm through the second boss now and, not surprisingly, very much enjoying it.  My only issue with the controls was somersaulting but I finally figured that out- when they say make a tiny circle at the edge of the screen, they really mean the edge as in stylus butting up against plastic. 

Only been through the Temple of the Ocean King once and I didn't mind the time limit at all.  I actually failed my first time through (hit one two many spike traps and died) but the second time was a lot easier since I knew what to do and breezed through it. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2007, 02:43:44 PM

Only been through the Temple of the Ocean King once and I didn't mind the time limit at all. 

I agree. I had to go topside to reset the glass a couple of times but it wasn't bothersome.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »

through the second boss and about to go after #3.  i have liked the sailing and optional side quests you can do.  in most cases, it's not game altering, but the golden frog thingy is very helpful.  and the puzzle to get the item was pretty cool too. 

i've spent a bit of time fishing too, and i'll always drop a line if my course is close enough to the shadow.

since i've got the shovel, half of every island looks like a warzone after i leave it.  biggrin

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »

I don't think it's an easier than the Zelda titles since Wind Waker.

true - wind waker was kinda a piece of cake...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »

Damn, that's kind of cake I would feel bad about eating. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 11:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 05, 2007, 11:31:17 PM

Damn, that's kind of cake I would feel bad about eating. 

what's very cool is, it's a wedding cake smile ...

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2007, 09:08:34 PM »

Define "cool"...

icon_wink
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2007, 10:48:34 PM »

finished my third trip to the ocean king temple, &, while a bit tricky to figure out, once i did, & combined that with a decent time to the halfway warp point, it didn't seem so bad at all (what with the halfway marker, which i wasn't expecting at all until jcc mentioned it, it's pretty much like entering a second dungeon). really liked the 4th dungeon:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the cubus sisters were as nasty & aggravating as any zelda characters i can remember - very funny smile ...

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2007, 04:42:06 AM »

Well, it looks like at the final part of the game.  It has been a great game so far and I really like the fact that they used all the tricks in the DS book in the game.  However, I am now dreading finishing it and that is because:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I have to go to the damned Ocean Temple again.  At least the little yellow thing I have has a good time and I know there are shortcuts to get down, but I just kind of think this was a bad design decision.  On one hand, I like the timing aspect because it gives a challenge.  On the other hand, I don't like doing the same thing over and over.  So, it is now to a point where I kind of don't want to go and finish the game.

That kind of saddens me.  I actually didn't mind the hunt for the pieces at the end of Wind Waker near as much as this.  Still, other than that, it is a very fun Zelda adventure.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2007, 11:20:48 PM »

I put another hour or so into this today.  I know it's innovative, creative, and I should like it, but Zelda:  PH does absolutely nothing for me.   Every puzzle is an exercise in frustration, and having to restart that timed Ocean King temple twice certainly didn't do anything to help.  Even after playing a few hours, I still feel like I'm fighting against the controls.  It basically boils down to the fact that I don't find it to be very fun.

I knew I probably should have avoided PH, but it looked like it might be unique enough to break the string of Zelda titles that apparently everybody loves but me.  Glad I gave it a shot, but it just confirms once and for all that I need to stop buying Zelda games.

It's up for grabs in the trading forum, if anyone wants it.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2007, 03:32:55 AM »

I got quite a bit of time in with this game this weekend and it is now my 2nd favorite DS game of all time behind Elite Beat Agents. It's creative, funny, fun, clever, innovative, cute, neat awesomezor and a whole bunch of other adjectives.

Must own!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2007, 04:27:31 AM »

Alright, I beat it earlier this evening.  My dread mentioned in my previous post turned out to be not-so-warranted as going back to the well didn't pose too much of a problem.  That still doesn't change my opinion about the mechanic, though, and it would have been nice to keep the timed dungeon, but not have it be the same one over and over.  The final boss showdown wasn't very difficult and I like the way the story ended.  Definitely another high quality Legend of Zelda adventure.  It will be nice to see what they can do with the next Wii Zelda if they build it from the ground up to make use of the Wii control.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2007, 04:57:12 AM »

I gotta say I *reall* enjoy the Ocean King dungeon.  I like the challenge of trying to get a perfect run so I can have a great "mid-point" time and I like how everything changes when I enter it with new tools.  That's what makes the repetition work for me.  I'm actually pretty shocked by how much I enjoy the dungeon. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2007, 11:01:58 AM »

Only been through the Temple of the Ocean King once and I didn't mind the time limit at all.  I actually failed my first time through (hit one two many spike traps and died) but the second time was a lot easier since I knew what to do and breezed through it. 

Heh. Finished my first run last night.
I got hit by a guard once, causing me to run out of time and make it
back to the final safe zone with one heart left. I didn't dare do any more
exploring before leaving at that point, so hope I didn't miss anything.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2007, 12:18:31 PM »

finished the fifth dungeon, after taking a break from the story & doing lots of revisiting old areas, frog-finding, trawling, fishing, & other things:

Spoiler for Hiden:
managed to hit that one dude 100 times, but've pretty much given up on the arrow-shooting challenge...

true of wind waker, & true again here - roaming the high seas is just a lot more fun than riding epona. love the graphics / sound effects (great!) - gotta be why the final fetch quest in wind waker never bothered me. add to that being able to modify the ship, the ease of plotting a course, & the occasional special battle, &, for me, this's about as good as zelda gets...

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 08, 2007, 04:57:12 AM

I gotta say I *reall* enjoy the Ocean King dungeon.  I like the challenge of trying to get a perfect run so I can have a great "mid-point" time and I like how everything changes when I enter it with new tools.  That's what makes the repetition work for me.  I'm actually pretty shocked by how much I enjoy the dungeon.

smile

not really that crazy about it, but definitely don't see it as a problem (esp what with the halfway point &, as you mention, the different tricks you can eventually try). repetition as challenge has always been a nintendo hallmark, & the ocean king dungeon is almost like a distillation of / tribute to it...

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

i got the first prize from the shooting range and close enough to the point total for the second one.  i can probably get that with a bit more practice.

what really annoys me is the salvage rewards you get.  so far, i've got a duplicate set of the same three pieces.  same goes for the random bits you get.  i keep getting the same damn things.  having the extra health on the ship really helps when you go into a new map and haven't found the warp spots.

i just made it to iceland with the feuding natives. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »

Finished last night. Great game.  Loved the new puzzle designs- getting items on the overworld were now often multistage affairs where first you might have to find a clue where something was hidden, then do some legwork to find the actual location, and then maybe use an item whereas in previous Zelda games it was usually just a case of "use hookshot to get" or "use bomb".  The new control system and DS hardware really seemed to invigorate the team in coming up with lots of new wrinkles and it made the experience very fresh. 

I was also pleased to see that they fixed the "economy" issues that plagued WW and TP.  Eliminating the wallet was long overdue and lots of items were so expensive that I could quite easily go from flush to cash to almost broke.

Can't wait to see what they do with the first ground-up Wii Zelda game. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »

finished the isle of frost. i thought the boomerang was the best - & then, i got the hookshot smile ...

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »

I'm about a 1/3 in to the game and apart from finding it a bit too easy, I'm linking it very much. I especially like the puzzles and the stylus controls; sound and graphics are top rate too!  nod
On the one hand I wish the gameplay was more challenging, at least on the level of LoZ:WW and LOZ:TP.  On the other hand it's probably going to be the 1st LoZ game my son will be able to finish on his own with zero assistance. I can't believe how much my kids are enjoying PH, even my 7 year old daughter for the most part can play it on her own. smile The only problem I can forsee is that they're  enjoying it so much that it'll probaby trigger a whole new round of WW, TP and LttP session and tie up the Wii for a while.  paranoid
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 09, 2007, 06:23:20 PM

On the one hand I wish the gameplay was more challenging, at least on the level of LoZ:WW and LOZ:TP. 

This is weird to me.  I saw the Game Over screen in PH much more than I ever did in WW or TP.  PH isn't remotely challenging but I still thought both WW and TP were far, far easier. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: