http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:08:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh Snap! Phantom Hourglass is Must Own!  (Read 6603 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:08:22 AM »

How did that happen? It totally got lost in the crush of great games out lately.

I'm dying for a new game on my DS and even though I've not played a Zelda since II gravely disappointed me, I'm anxious to play this.

What what?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:32:02 AM by ATB » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 02:50:14 AM »

totally lost for some of us, maybe - for others of us, it's the main inspiration for trying to finish persona 3 over the next couple weeks (you could always get minish cap to tide you over)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:44:04 AM »

Yep, not lost to me.  Can't wait.  Everything I've heard about this one is fabulous.  The only negative I've seen mentioned is that it's probably too easy but that's been a flaw in the series since at least Wind Waker. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:22:00 AM »

Quote from: ATB on September 18, 2007, 02:08:22 AM

I'm dying for a new game on my DS and even though I've not played a Zelda since II gravely disappointed me, I'm anxious to play this.

icon_eek

You need to go out and get the GBA version of A Link to the Past. It's one of the best (if not the best) Zelda games ever and works perfectly on a handheld.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 04:25:12 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 18, 2007, 04:22:00 AM

icon_eek

You need to go out and get the GBA version of A Link to the Past. It's one of the best (if not the best) Zelda games ever and works perfectly on a handheld.

+1.  Its the only Zelda game I've every completed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize it was so soon.  Thanks for the heads up!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:26:14 AM »

I've got it-it's good except my copy is in Japanese which makes it a little difficult to play smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 18, 2007, 09:26:14 AM

I've got it-it's good except my copy is in Japanese which makes it a little difficult to play smile

Do you enter all the dialogue into babel fish? slywink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

Wow, I have to admit I've let this one slip out of my main radar.  Day 1 purchase for sure, can't wait!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »

It's definitely on my radar and at least a week 1 purchase for me.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 07:52:27 PM »

I'd need a DS first.
Tempted... GF is hooked on competitive Tetris.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 08:59:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 18, 2007, 03:44:04 AM

Yep, not lost to me.  Can't wait.  Everything I've heard about this one is fabulous.  The only negative I've seen mentioned is that it's probably too easy but that's been a flaw in the series since at least Wind Waker. 

I don't mind an easy game as long as the mechanics are fresh and interesting. Twilight Princess was dull to me because it was easy and I had already experienced most of the gameplay in previous titles. I'm hoping that the all-stylus controls will make PH feel more innovative.

I'm also amazed at the graphics. The 3D cel-shaded effect looks great on the DS.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:58:21 AM »

It's hard to follow portable releases when the big boys are doing their holiday thang, thanks for the reminder that there's some handheld goodness to look forward to as well  thumbsup

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 04:51:26 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 19, 2007, 12:58:21 AM

It's hard to follow portable releases when the big boys are doing their holiday thang, thanks for the reminder that there's some handheld goodness to look forward to as well  thumbsup

I thoght you didn't like Nintendo for being too kiddy? You have a DS?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 06:05:55 AM »

Thanks for the reminder.  Didn't realize it was so close.  More Zelda goodness.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »

Got my copy of Gameinformer in the mail yesterday (don't flame me) . . . they gave it 9.5 and the handheld game of the month award . . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2007, 04:25:12 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 18, 2007, 04:22:00 AM

icon_eek

+1.  Its the only Zelda game I've every completed.

+100!

It's one of the few games I've ever finished (and I've finished a lot) that I would grade as a perfect 10.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »

So I raced out to CC and bought the game with the free stylus, wipey and headphones pack and just fired it up for the first time.

It already has the most beautiful music I've heard on any DS game.  I'm only through the opening sequence and can already tell this is going to be a fun, well directed and all absorbing experience.

Sadly I have to run an errand before I'll  get to try the controls, but so far I'm highly optimistic about this, my first Zelda experience since the original!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2007, 03:49:11 PM

I'm only through the opening sequence and can already tell this is going to be a fun, well directed and all absorbing experience.
Wait - so you've played 10 minutes or so and you are already labeling this game an "all absorbing experience"?  That makes sense...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 03:58:22 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 02, 2007, 03:56:23 PM

I'm only through the opening sequence and can already tell this is going to be a fun, well directed and all absorbing experience.
Wait - so you've played 10 minutes or so and you are already labeling this game an "all absorbing experience"?  That makes sense...

it's ATB.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »

It's Nintendo.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »

FWIW, Toys R US is offering the strat guide for free with the purchase of the game.  I don't generally use guides for Zelda games but that's a heckuva deal and too good for me to pass up. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »

If this is your first Zelda since the original, you should have picked up A Link to the Past for the GBA. It's an all time classic, and I seriously doubt Phantom Hourglass will better it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 02, 2007, 03:56:23 PM

Have you played the first 10 minutes?  Then shaddup!   retard icon_biggrin
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 02, 2007, 05:32:17 PM

FWIW, Toys R US is offering the strat guide for free with the purchase of the game.  I don't generally use guides for Zelda games but that's a heckuva deal and too good for me to pass up. 

Oh and I didn't know this so I went to TRU and bought it there and will be returning the freebie from CC.
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 07:08:44 PM »

Looking for more impressions to last me through the workday until I can run out and grab my copy. Unfortunately I'll be using a Best Buy gift card to grab it and they seem to be the only retailer not offering a freebie. I think I'll take the TRU ad in with me and try and talk a manager into gifting me a copy of the strat guide to match TRU's promo.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »

Just picked up a copy from TRU with the free strat guide.  Sweet deal!  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 11:49:09 PM »

I'm to the first temple and so far, with the exception of doing summersaults, the controls are perfect.

Very simple and fitting.

The narrative continues to entertaining and by way of tutorial, conveyance of the controls is very clever.

I almost always read my manuals first, but I think I'll wait until I'm a bit further to check this one's out.

So far, after about 40 mins or so, it's easily a recommend.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 12:32:45 AM »

Picked it up after work. The game is definitely beautiful, amazing for the DS. It's a little low res (no surprise) but otherwise looks nearly the same as the cube version. The controls work very well. The tapping enemies to slash them is very cool. My hand has some cramping/soreness issues, but this is normal for any stylus controlled game, even the puzzle ones like Picross, Sudoku, etc. It's not anything close to as painful as Metroid Hunters was. My only control gripe is doing the roll. I just can't get that motion down yet, and it is a little frustrating when you're trying to roll into trees to shake them and you try a bunch of times before getting it. I find it hard to write legibly on the map too, but I'll get better. I haven't made it to a proper temple yet, so I need to play more. Early impressions are positive here.

-John

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2007, 11:49:09 PM

So far, after about 40 mins or so, it's easily a recommend.

ya think? smile ...

i've reached the isle of ember, & am definitely blown away. pretty, polished, great sound, & i'm especially happy to see the real link again (don't know who that guy was in twilight princess, but it definitely wasn't link). liked the 'wind waker' intro, happy to have navi (aka ciela) back ('hey!'), & linebeck's, to my mind, a just about perfect companion character. can't think of a ds game i've played that i'd describe as a mini-masterpiece, but this one, so far, appears to have all the makings of one...

&, yeah, i wasn't doing so well initially with the tumbling, either (helps if you do the swirl bit at the far end of the screen)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 01:35:59 AM »

Tell me if you recommend it still after the repeated temple with a time limit. Honestly I would go buy it right now, but that puts me off and I would like to hear impressions up to that point.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 02:07:38 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 03, 2007, 01:35:59 AM

Tell me if you recommend it still after the repeated temple with a time limit. Honestly I would go buy it right now, but that puts me off and I would like to hear impressions up to that point.

That is my biggest fear for potential suckage as well. Haven't been through any timed/repeated parts yet though so you'll have to wait! smile

Oh, and semi, I AM trying the swirl thing at the edge of the screen. I still can't figure out the roll. Sometimes all I do is slide the stylus one way and do one, other times I am "twirling" like all get out and can't get the damn roll to happen. Only bad control mechanic for me so far.

-John

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 04:03:12 AM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 02:07:38 AM

Quote from: Lee on October 03, 2007, 01:35:59 AM

That is my biggest fear for potential suckage as well. Haven't been through any timed/repeated parts yet though so you'll have to wait! smile

Oh, and semi, I AM trying the swirl thing at the edge of the screen. I still can't figure out the roll. Sometimes all I do is slide the stylus one way and do one, other times I am "twirling" like all get out and can't get the damn roll to happen. Only bad control mechanic for me so far.

as far as the phantom hourglass dungeon, i just made my first (botched) run. the dungeon has safe spots scattered around that stop the clock, & there are yellow jars which, when you break them, give you some time back. it's definitely a questionable mechanic over-all, but it seems pretty doable, basically just involving some trial & error - kinda like traditional zelda dungeons, only magnified?...

how i finally got the roll to work: don't start near link - touch toward the edge of the screen, get link moving, keep the stylus against the edge (like, banging into it), & spin it (continuing to bang into the edge) as you keep him moving...

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 05:07:50 AM »

Stayed up WAY too late playing this and I am tired but I will add this: Controlling the boomerang with the stylus makes the boomerang more fun than in any other Zelda game. It rules.

This game may cripple my right hand though. It's very fatigued.

-John

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 05:07:50 AM

Controlling the boomerang with the stylus makes the boomerang more fun than in any other Zelda game. It rules.

agreed - awesome!...

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 05:07:50 AM

This game may cripple my right hand though. It's very fatigued.

no problem for me, so far, except for the boss battle (ouch!) - but my hand has always kinda cramped up on portable zelda boss battles smile ...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 01:07:47 PM »

I forgot to save and for some reason thought the game autosaved so I had to start over. I'm just getting back to the first temple...that's what I get for not reading the manual.   disgust
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 03, 2007, 01:07:47 PM

I forgot to save and for some reason thought the game autosaved so I had to start over. I'm just getting back to the first temple...that's what I get for not reading the manual.   disgust

Who reads manuals for DS games?! smile

Anyway, how big is this timed dungeon? What's the time limit on it?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 03, 2007, 02:19:20 PM

I have only done it once. The time limit was 10 mins. I made it with about 48 secs to spare and didn't go crazy trying to hurry. I believe each time you go back you go farther in and have more time, but I haven't returned yet, so that isn't for sure.

-John

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 03:21:03 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 03, 2007, 03:00:42 PM

Quote from: Lee on October 03, 2007, 02:19:20 PM

I have only done it once. The time limit was 10 mins. I made it with about 48 secs to spare and didn't go crazy trying to hurry. I believe each time you go back you go farther in and have more time, but I haven't returned yet, so that isn't for sure.

yeah, from what i've read, that's how it works. when the teleport appeared at the end of the first section, i was hoping maybe you could teleport back to there to start the next go-round, but no, you start at the beginning each time (tho i think there may be tricks/shortcuts eventually available)...

oh, yeah - size-wise, the first section of the ph dungeon was 3 not-so-large levels...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:22:56 PM by semiconscious » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »

ok, so it's a toss up between cc for $5 off and the misc crap, or full price at tru with a strat guide, right?  i'm a little price sensitive at this point, so i'm favoring cc, but the guide sounds good to have too. 

how big is the strat guide?  does it include info on all the ship parts, and how detailed is it? 

i don't use many guides, even the odd one i buy, but for some games, it really helps to have one occasionally.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: