http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 05:57:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh Noes!! Pariah Demo!  (Read 1545 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »

Multiplayer only unfortunately, I would love to see that XBox single player demo on PC, but this should be fun anyways from the guys who helped create the best multiplayer series ever, Unreal Tournament!!

So http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=24753 check it out.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 06:23:19 PM »

This was one of the most impressive games at last year's E3.  I like the fact that everyone can get the same weapons and then upgrade it, so that one person doesn't get too powerful or that after a frag you still have a fighting chance.  It looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:33:04 PM »

Are there bots available to play against in the demo or is it strictly for play against other people?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 06:34:49 PM »

Is the game as fast paced as Unreal Tournament, or is it more "tactical'?

Just curious, as from what I've read (which granted, isn't a whole lot), it's the same game as Unreal Tournament.

I would love to know what about it feels "different" than UT2k4.  Any impressions would be great.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 07:04:08 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Is the game as fast paced as Unreal Tournament, or is it more "tactical'?

Just curious, as from what I've read (which granted, isn't a whole lot), it's the same game as Unreal Tournament.

I would love to know what about it feels "different" than UT2k4.  Any impressions would be great.

I haven't played the demo, but here is what I do remember from E3.  There are vehicles and they can take damage.  You won't be able to ride them infinitely.  You also have weapons that can be upgraded as well as a health pack.  You can use it, but as you do, your vision becomes blurred, so you can't use it for too long.  The upgradable weapons have up to five upgrades IIRC.  You can decide which weapon you want upgraded as well.

This is a different beast than UT from what I can tell.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:34:10 PM »

Downloading now...thank you.

EDIT..does'nt do anything for me..literally...I click install and nothing happens...tried it repeatedly.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 07:53:25 AM »

TheMissingLink, Rage, and I booted it up and gave it a spin.

This game is horrific.  I'll give them a D- for effort (graphics on the rocket launcher/grenade launcher were kinda cool), but good lord is this game pretty bad to play.  I know it's a multi-player demo and all, and that it will get worked on, but good golly they need to work on a lot.

The drum music beat started to gnaw at my brain.  I had an urge to play Donkey Konga.  I think they hired a high school marching band to play one of the most annoying drum beats ever created.

I tried using the sniper - you can kill someone with like, two shots.  Never did a one-shot kill.  Which is, well, I don't know.  All I know is that I walked up behind someone, targeted the back of his head, and had to shoot three times to kill him.

If you want to be good in this game, pick the rocket/grenade launcher combo.  I went from 8 frags to 27 because of it!  Apparently everyone else has discovered this "secret".  Darn!

No sort of "tactics" here - you run around and shoot people.  No, you can't sprint (I don't think . . .) and no you can't do anything else.  You can crouch or walk.  But that won't help from dodging rockets.

The vehicles feel like bumper boats.  The targetting recepticle bounces around in the front of your vehicle.  I didn't like this, but I did like running over people.  That was fun.

That's about it.  Apparently we're going to go play some more!  Yippee!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 08:16:37 AM »

Allllright played some "Assault", if you could call it that.  They changed the music!  Hooray!

Basically all "Assault" is is going to a big number on the map and standing nearby.  That's it.  Rockets and Grenades are still the weapon of choice.

I died by jumping from the top of a slopped hill.  Even if I fall two feet from somewhere it takes off some life.  Physics?  You betcha!

So yep, overall impressions are - if you can't get the game to work, like Daehawk - you're probably better off than those that actually played the demo.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 08:36:29 AM »

I have put 194 hours into UT2k4 on Zaxxon's server.  I've played about 80 hours offline.  I've played and witnessed the entire evolution of Unreal Tournament.

That said, I have no clue how this team who worked with that series can put something out like Pariah.  I'll key in on a couple of comparison points.  I realize this isn't supposed to be UT, but they should have learned from it.

One of UT's strongest points is its fluidity.  It's never hard to manuever around.  I feel like a clunky bot in Pariah.  There's a dash button (F by default, dep) sure, but it blurs for some stupidass reason when you use it.  It never feels natural to look around/move around.

Weapon design/selection is wonderfully unimaginitive and pointless.  It gives you about 8 different classes for a different 2 combos of weapons, but all you need is an immensely overpowered rocket launcher.  The rocket launcher fires a slow missle, but because of how slow your soldier moves, its nearly impossible to evade.  If I could dodge-jump like in UT, this would be okay.  But even the splash kills you.  On the opposite side of the token, the sniper rifle is grossly underpowered.  There are one shot kills, gotta hit them in the head, but I could only do it from the front.  It takes 3 shots to kill somebody - and you've got 4 before you run out of ammo in the clip.  I stood behind a guy and shot him in the back of the head only for him to wheel around and nail me with, you got it, none other than a rocket.  The other weapons are completely useless/pointless.  I fooled around with the other weapons and was usually at the bottom of the pack at the end of the game.  Rage, Dep and me decided to go with just rocket launchers and ended up 2,3,4 or something like that.  Retarded.

I know every 2k4 retail map inside and out.  They are wonderfully designed.  I have played 2 of the 3 maps in the Pariah demo and am disappointed.  It's hard to describe.  For you UT fans, remember the UT2k3 maps?  For some reason, they were just worse than the UT99 maps.  The UT2k4 maps are way better (I read they designed them differently than the 2k3 maps), but you can just *feel* the difference between them.  The Pariah maps offerered nothing but what was just there.  It felt like a map out of Soldner.  And no, that isn't a compliment.  Far from it.

Special mention goes to the Ripshaw (something like that) map music.  Most annoying level music ever?  Perhaps!

I drove two different kinds of vehicles while playing the demo.  One was a tractor looking thing and the other a motorcycle-type thing.  They weren't bad, but they weren't fun, either.

I'll stop there.  Why does this bad impression of Pariah's demo deserve such a large write-up?  Because I'm pretty disappointed.  It's not like I was really looking forward to this title, but I would expect better from DE.  Maybe other people will enjoy this title, but it's definitely not for me.  Or the other guys I played with.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 08:39:07 AM »

Its 438am. Until I wake up tomorrow and can put into adequate words the horror that I have experienced playing pariah with TML and Deppy, suffice it to say I agree with everything they have said. It is, simply put, hideous. More to come.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 03:12:51 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
impressions....

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 03:56:17 PM »

No bots unfortunately. Looks like it's strictly multiplayer only. The graphics look great and there are a couple of vehicles in the game, but to be honest, I don't see it as much of a step above unreal tournmanet 2004 and even in that demo, you could practice offline with bots. Not so in Pariah. It seems to have that "been there done that" type of feel that most FPS's have.
Hopefully by the final version they'll have enabled bots.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 11:16:36 PM »

Seriously, I actually felt like a bunch of monkeys broke into my room and raped me in the ass. Turned out it was just a side effect from playing Pariah.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: