http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 10:55:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh, my aching back(log)!  (Read 2228 times)
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:20:17 AM »

How bad's your backlog?

Mine?  Mine used to be almost nonexistent, but now I've got a new decent gaming rig, extra cash to spend, several years worth of games that I alway wanted and can now get cheaply online and not enough time to play them all.  I just finished Portal, Half-Life 2+ep1&2, FEAR, Prey and Bioshock. 

Now I'm overwhelmed by what to play next.  I'm trying to make my way through FEAR: Extraction Point, but while FEAR does some things great, it just keeps doing them over and over with nothing new.  Don't know if I'll make it through that expansion.

What I've got yet to finish is as follows:

Call of Cthulhu (played up to the assault on my hotel room and quit, may replay some day)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Civ IV - Beyond the Sword
Crysis
Dungeon Siege II: Deluxe Edition
Far Cry
Fate
FEAR Extraction Point
FEAR Perseus Mandate
Hitman: Blood Money
Jade Empire
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Oblivion: GOTY (waiting for Summer to install/mod/play)
Overlord
Painkiller
Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Quake 4
Sam & Max: Season One
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (played some on my old laptop, wasn't getting into it for some reason)
Thief 3
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne
Tomb Raider: Anniversary  (got stuck on a timed sequence of jumps near the end on my old laptop, would like to replay/finish someday)
Tron2.0
Will Rock

and my, suddenly much shorter, wish list:

Doom 3 / Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Serious Sam 2
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Timeshift
The Witcher (waiting for enhanced edition)

Feel free to post/gripe about the length/shortness of your backlog here and/or advise me on what I should be playing next.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:12:09 AM »

For whatever it's worth (you'll probably hate mee for adding to your woeful backlog), you can pick up Dreamfall at a Half-Price Books quite cheaply if one is nearby.

Oh, and mine is beyond mentioning - that's the life of a game collector: whenever I retire, I'll have a lot of fun waiting for me (on a 30-year old PC, of course).
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:38:44 AM »

FPS:
Quake 4 for a solid if not over evolutionary game. Not too long and pretty much straight action. If you enjoyed #2 or it's expansions you will probably like it. FarCry was fun also but looong.

RPG:
Jade Empire was awesome on the Xbox. Set it on easy and play it for the story. I have it for the PC as well, but I haven't got the time for it again at the moment. Don't let the feeling of a somewhat on-a-rail experience ruin it. KotOR was fun as well if you like Star Wars of course. I put ~50hours into it when I played to do everything I could.

Future:
STALKER was awesome. Finished that recently. Patch it and have fun. Doom3/XP was fun, but I took a long time to play through both of them. Couldn't seem to get myself to have an extended play session in either for some reason. They are definitely worth a play through though.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:40:51 AM »

I mainly have a few RPGs and some tactical FPS. I've done well at clearing out some games this year since my rig is old. Only a few bargain bin games I don't have so my pile isn't growing much. I'm in no hurry as I'm enjoying finally playing through them. I stopped playing MP and would get even more games finished if I stopped messing with mods (looks at OFP/ArmA & NWN) but can't help myself.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:00:58 AM »

TQ: Immortal Throne is an awesome expansion (and I guess a good-but-sad epitaph to its defunct developer); however, I played it so much last spring that I got wrist tendinitis. Was wearing braces, gulping Alleve like Pez. A bit too much sacrifice to make for a game.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:36:48 AM »

I pretty much never buy a game unless I finish what I am playing first. I've finished probably 99% of the games I've played (the only exception I can think of being Outcast).

So my backlog = 0 smile.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on May 02, 2008, 02:20:17 AM

Mine used to be almost nonexistent, but now I've got a new decent gaming rig, extra cash to spend, several years worth of games that I alway wanted and can now get cheaply online and not enough time to play them all.
Exactly the same here.  I built a new PC a couple of months ago and I must have bought at least a dozen games for it, most of which have barely been touched.  My mood keeps changing.  I'll find myself in the mood for a strategy game, so I'll order two or three of the buggers.  By the time they arrive, I'm suddenly in the mood for a shooter, so again I'll order at least two.  And so on.

The first game I bought this year was X3:Reunion and now I've finally started playing it.  So my backlog will remain the same length for a long time. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:53:56 AM »

I think my gaming backlog is as big as my reading backlog - which isn't a good sign.

paranoid
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 02, 2008, 05:36:48 AM

I pretty much never buy a game unless I finish what I am playing first. I've finished probably 99% of the games I've played (the only exception I can think of being Outcast).

So my backlog = 0 smile.

I'm pretty much the same way, but I've been playing Two Worlds for awhile now, and through trades or very cheap purchases I've acquired a few games I have yet to play, like Indigo Prophecy, and Condemned.
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »

Oblivion
Crysis
Ground Control
Ground Control 2
Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts
Galactic Civ 2
Battle for Middle Earth 2
Freedom Force 2
Myth 2
Myth 3
Dungeon Siege 2
Diablo 2 - never finished it
Fear
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »

I've finally accepted the fact that I am more of a game collector than player. 
Since doing  this, the guilt from buying and only playing a couple hours of all these games has slowly faded.
My wife has her 2+ bookshelf encompassing history book collection and I have my games.

morlac00 on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 02, 2008, 03:20:19 PM

Since doing  this, the guilt from buying and only playing a couple hours of all these games has slowly faded.
My wife has her 2+ bookshelf encompassing history book collection and I have my games.

My wife did the same thing recently regarding my DVD collection and asked me how I could possibly watch all that. I then pointed at the two bookshelves in the room that are overflowing with her books and asked her how she could possibly read all that. I have yet to be hassled again.

My unplayed PC backlog consists of the following:

Oblivion
Mafia

I have Immortal Throne and love the hell out of it but like others my wrist can only take so much before I can't even use my PC. Oblivion... I may come back to some day when I opt to mod the crap out of it. Thanks to BH and the others for the mod thread in that regard.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »

Currently installed on the PC:

Oblivion (I finished it along with all the expansions, but always open to replaying)
Civ IV (never could get into it)
Madden (Played a few times in career mode)
Albatross 18 (I started playing this again now that Season 3 is out)
Bioshock (Played through the first couple scenes, got scared and cried like a little girl)
UltimateBet (check raise, watch out)
Poker Stars (because UB doesn't have the player pool for larger tournaments)
Chessmaster
GTA San Andreas (played about halfway through)
Half Life 2 (I played the opening sequence to test out the Steam install. Haven't had time since then to actually play it.)
Hellgate London (I finished it in Single Player mode and I'm about 3/4 of the way through playing multi-player with Chesspieceface)
Witcher Demo (Ran through the opening sequence, but couldn't get fully vested)
Vanguard (in case they come out with any more free play time)

All game purchases are on hold until I finish Bioshock at the minimum. I would like to try Civ IV again since that is so popular.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:04:03 AM by Moliere » Logged

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 05, 2008, 05:44:36 PM

Bioshock (Played through the first couple scenes, got scared and cried like a little girl)

Lol!  I'm glad I'm not the only wimp around here.  I'm still trying to finish FEAR after playing it for two months.  I won't play it at night time, but I rarely have a chance to game during the day. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

Well, I just recently got a new machine, so mine is short:

Civ IV
Quake 4
Far Cry (played through most of it, would like to see it on my new machine).
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:07:02 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 05, 2008, 05:44:36 PM

Chessmaster
GTA San Andreas (played about halfway through)
The Bioshock freaked me out too at the beginning.  Somehow, as you grow accustom to the environment and grow in your weapons/plasmids this feeling goes away.

I also forgot to list Chessmaster and GTA:SA on my list above- well Chessmaster I didn't forget because I figure it's a casual game that can't really be "finished", but I am going through the training academy and would like to finish all parts of that.  GTA:SA I couldn't really get into as much as I did GTA3 and GTA:VC, but I'd like to give it another try on my new PC.

I've been playing around with Overlord lately and that's pretty fun so far.  But most my gaming time this weekend went to my new found love, Team Fortress 2.  Never played multiplayer before, oddly enough- but decided to try on the "free weekend" (though I already own it on the Orange Box).

I'm looking for short little gems of games on my list and I'm thinking Max Payne 2 and Chronicles of Riddick might be next to be crossed off my to do list.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 10:31:57 PM »

Quote from: Tscott on May 05, 2008, 10:07:02 PM

GTA:SA I couldn't really get into as much as I did GTA3 and GTA:VC, but I'd like to give it another try on my new PC.

I haven't played it in over a year, but I seem to recall the missions being more difficult to handle than previous GTA's. I was doing a good job building up my turf, but had difficulty defending it during various invasions. Ultimately I always seem to turn every GTA game into a random car jacking of the coolest looking cars, seeing how fast I can get them going, experimenting with the game physics by launching the cars off ramps & buildings and seeing how many cops I can get to chase me before the army tanks start to block the streets.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 12:05:58 AM »

Finally beat the the both Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.

Now I am playing Doom 3.
Little bit of messing around made graphic looking great on 1680 x 1050 21" monitor.

Games that are currently installed on PC (backlog...)

Doom 3
Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30
Crysis
Hellgate
Warhammer 40000: Soulstorm
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »

Current PC Backlog:
Supcom: Forged Alliance
C&C3: Kane's Wrath (Got stuck on one of those stupid "do a bunch of stuff with your one infantry unit. if it dies you lose" missions)
World in Conflict
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (actually good, and far more open and tactical than the console version!)
Universe at War (Just plain lost interest...)
Resident Evil 4
UT3 (If it even counts.)

And the console backlog is actually larger, but off topic.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

I've added Beyond Good and Evil (bought when Steam had it on sale) and STALKER to my backlog.

Meanwhile my gaming time has gone to more TF2 and another play through HL2:Ep2 to get the last few achivements, including "Putting on a Clinic" and "Little Rocket Man".  I just got the "Get Some Grub" one (how annoying was that?).

-TMBG
Belhazamar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »

My backlog is amazingly long (posting it would be embarrassing), but then I go and buy the GalCiv 2 Ultimate Bundle.  What was I thinking?  Please join me in a moment of silence for all the plastic, paper, and developer's dreams that will never see the light of my P.C.
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 07:08:02 PM »

I recommend www.backloggery.com to keep track of things, I use it for my own backlog, http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=moatman and it's almost like a game in and of itself, a backlog metagame!

I also find that it helps me keep a bit of a priority, listing them all again refreshes in my mind what I want to play most or what I'm most in the mood for.  But then again, I have always been a big "list person" and enjoy listing/categorizing things for little or no reason:)
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 02, 2008, 03:20:19 PM

Your wife collects history books?  You better hold on to her!  My wife is a librarian and we have shelves of books but they're almost all fiction.  -5 points but I still love her dearly. 

Er, back on topic, I trade away my games so I never have more than 1 or two game backlog.  As someone who is not a huge FPS fan, I'd recommend people put STALKER in the front of their queues. 

Saving the world one post at a time.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »

Well in case anybody has a backlog that not very big there's a special going on STEAM right now for everything Eidos has released on it so far(20 games). Its a mixture of old and new stuff for $99. Its not all quality but for the price there's some good titles in their.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: