http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 12:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Rock Band DLC News, Impressions, and Comments Thread  (Read 191028 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »

Did anyone else get the Roy Orbison pack?  I wasn't going to, but I checked out the preview for Ooby Dooby, and the guitar in it sounded pretty fun - before I knew it, I had the whole pack (and love it). It's going to be one of those party pleaser type song packs.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 11, 2009, 03:00:42 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on January 10, 2009, 09:41:06 PM

Did anyone else get the Roy Orbison pack?  I wasn't going to, but I checked out the preview for Ooby Dooby, and the guitar in it sounded pretty fun - before I knew it, I had the whole pack (and love it). It's going to be one of those party pleaser type song packs.

I got it and love it.  None of the songs are challenging, but it is nice to play that style of music and I love Roy's voice.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: January 11, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 11, 2009, 03:00:42 AM

Quote from: Jeff on January 10, 2009, 09:41:06 PM

I got it and love it.  None of the songs are challenging, but it is nice to play that style of music and I love Roy's voice.

I picked up In Dreams, You Got It, and Oh, Pretty Woman. They're all pretty simple but just a silly amount of fun. They were a big hit at my weekly Rock Band get-together last night.

BTW, I finally just deleted the 20 bonus songs last night. They were just a waste of precious HD space.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 11, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on January 11, 2009, 02:13:22 PM

BTW, I finally just deleted the 20 bonus songs last night. They were just a waste of precious HD space.

I never even bothered to download those. What a disappointment those turned out to be.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: January 12, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on January 11, 2009, 11:15:15 PM

Quote from: godhugh on January 11, 2009, 02:13:22 PM

I never even bothered to download those. What a disappointment those turned out to be.

If I didn't have the 120 gig HD I might be tempted to delete them but there are a few gems in there, especially on drums.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: January 12, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »

I think had they given you the ability to pick and choose the songs you wanted to keep it would have been a lot better. Twenty random songs you don't know isn't very good. Thenewno2 - Crazy Tuesday (the guitar echo on this track is pretty awkward from a play standpoint) and Ghost Hounds - Ashes to Fire are the two best in my opinion. But in truth, when I got them I played twelve of them and never even finished going through them all. I wanted to like them but ... yeah.  I don't play much anymore and those times I do play I want to play songs I know and love. Speaking of which - how awesome were the foo fighters and killers packs?

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113359

Here's the DLC for the week of January 13th. We're putting out a sweet Lenny Kravitz 4 Song Pack, including the following songs:

Are You Gonna Go My Way
Freedom Train
Let Love Rule
Mr. Cab Driver

In addition to the Kravitz 4 Pack, we're also putting out two tracks from a pair of fan favorite Harmonix bands.

Megasus - Megasus
Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives - Entangled

All tracks are masters. The Kravitz tracks will be available for $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) a piece or $6.99 (560 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for the full 4 song pack pack. The HMX tracks will be $0.99 (80 Microsoft Points) a piece.

Nothing for me this week, as I'm not a Kravitz fan, and I hate the Honest Bob song in RB1 and the Megasus song in GH2;
And I didn't get anything last week from the Roy Orbison pack, so 2009 isn't starting off very rocking for me.

What are you getting?

--

And here's something interesting - a comparison of the "Carry On my Wayward Son cover from GH2 and the master"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToPBkEVmp48

Damn - you could've fooled me that the cover wasn't a master in GH2. The voice is spot on.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1366 on: January 12, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

I started playing RB2 again and this weekend downloaded:
RHCP album
Rush Album
No Doubt Album
Motley Crue Album
Foo Fighters Album
20 song bonus pack

Somewhere on the order of 7000 points spent. I think that may be it for albums for now, next I need to go through all the song packs since day 1. If my wife had any idea what I've spent...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:11 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 12, 2009, 03:52:37 PM

I started playing RB2 again and this weekend downloaded:
RHCP album
Rush Album
No Doubt Album
Motley Crue Album
Foo Fighters Album
20 song bonus pack

Somewhere on the order of 7000 points spent. I think that may be it for albums for now, next I need to go through all the song packs since day 1. If my wife had any idea what I've spent...

RHCP, Rush and Foo Fighters are a must, as is the Boston album. But the best of all, IMO, is The Who album which is phenomenal.

So far I've been very pleased with the Roy Orbison pack.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: January 13, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »

I swear I didn't see Boston or The Who on the list. I'll check again.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 13, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 13, 2009, 02:10:13 PM

I swear I didn't see Boston or The Who on the list. I'll check again.

Apologies. Wrong wording on my part. Those two are probably in the song pack group, as neither are technically albums. Boston's song pack is their full debut album -1 song, and The Who's grouping is a greatest hits collection.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 17, 2009, 01:11:53 AM »

What happened to ChrisGrenard's Rock Band DLC site?  I was going to pick up some DLC for the first time in a few months tonight, went to check the site for ratings and it was gone.  Is it still going Chris?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 17, 2009, 01:18:18 AM »

It's still there.  rbdlc.com

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 17, 2009, 01:21:51 AM »

Couldn't get it to come up.  Wierd.   icon_confused

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 17, 2009, 04:13:14 AM »

Only thing I grabbed this week was "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Kravitz. Didn't care for his other 3 so much. He has much better songs they could've used, unless they weren't allowed for some reason.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1374 on: January 17, 2009, 11:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on January 17, 2009, 04:13:14 AM

Only thing I grabbed this week was "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Kravitz. Didn't care for his other 3 so much. He has much better songs they could've used, unless they weren't allowed for some reason.

Funny, I was thinking "Are You Gonna Go My Way" was the weakest of them...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 18, 2009, 05:00:18 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 17, 2009, 11:53:11 PM

Quote from: Jeff on January 17, 2009, 04:13:14 AM

Funny, I was thinking "Are You Gonna Go My Way" was the weakest of them...

eek

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 18, 2009, 05:19:05 AM »

Got a letter in the mail today saying that I had won a third prize for their weekend play and win deal from a few months back. I'm getting a Rock Band hat and 2,000 MS points. Sweet!
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 18, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »

Quote from: Simon on January 18, 2009, 05:19:05 AM

Got a letter in the mail today saying that I had won a third prize for their weekend play and win deal from a few months back. I'm getting a Rock Band hat and 2,000 MS points. Sweet!

Cool!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 18, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Simon on January 18, 2009, 05:19:05 AM

Awesome!  I had a similar thing happen, except I never got a letter or e-mail or anything, just one day a long, thin package arrived.  Inside was a GTA IV aluminum bat and a tiny slip of paper that said, "Congratulations."  Weirded me out.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 19, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »

We did the endless setlist on Sat night with my wife on vocals and me on (hard) drums.  It took about 5 1/2 hours for all 84 songs.  We missed out on the Bladder of Steel achievement because we decided to let my wife try to drum on Testify because she needed to rest her voice.  She failed on drums and I couldn't get enough star power on vox to save her.  crybaby

It was fun but we were both blown up by the end.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 19, 2009, 01:29:06 PM

We did the endless setlist on Sat night with my wife on vocals and me on (hard) drums.  It took about 5 1/2 hours for all 84 songs.  We missed out on the Bladder of Steel achievement because we decided to let my wife try to drum on Testify because she needed to rest her voice.  She failed on drums and I couldn't get enough star power on vox to save her.  crybaby

OH man.  Wow.   We plan on trying sometime with our friends, but we'll definately rotate.  Singing 20 songs apiece will be enough strain, let alone doing about 80.  And 80 songs on the drums, yikes!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 19, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 19, 2009, 11:07:08 PM

OH man.  Wow.   We plan on trying sometime with our friends, but we'll definately rotate.  Singing 20 songs apiece will be enough strain, let alone doing about 80.  And 80 songs on the drums, yikes!

I've sung through it three times now.  It's not as bad as you think as long as you keep hydrated.  The strange thing is that for the singer, the difficulty of the songs seems to generally get lower as you get toward the end.  I haven't tried drumming through the whole thing.  Usually the drummer trades off a time or two.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 20, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 19, 2009, 11:23:37 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on January 19, 2009, 11:07:08 PM

I've sung through it three times now.  It's not as bad as you think as long as you keep hydrated.  The strange thing is that for the singer, the difficulty of the songs seems to generally get lower as you get toward the end.  I haven't tried drumming through the whole thing.  Usually the drummer trades off a time or two.

We noticed the most of the hard vocals songs are nearer the beginning and the harder drum songs were near the end. I made it through all 84.  I was worried about Battery, Panic Attack and especially Visions.  But to have Testify cost us the achievement really hurt because we have both gotten 99% on it in the past.

Unfortunately Visions will keep me from ever passing Endless Setlist on expert drums or guitar since I know I will never pass it.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 20, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 20, 2009, 12:17:36 AM

Unfortunately Visions will keep me from ever passing Endless Setlist on expert drums or guitar since I know I will never pass it.

Which of course is not to say that you COULDN'T pass it. But to say that you can't be assed to listen to that song enough to pass it. Because the song sucks and should never have been included in the original game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 20, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 20, 2009, 03:30:21 PM

Which of course is not to say that you COULDN'T pass it. But to say that you can't be assed to listen to that song enough to pass it. Because the song sucks and should never have been included in the original game.

Even as a fan of black metal, I completely agree.  They should have either a)  left it as DLC or "bonus" content or b) picked a far easier song.  To make a song that 99.9% of players are going to absolutely hate one of the most difficult songs in the game was an extremely poor decision.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 20, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »

Getting back to DLC:

Downloaded the Belly song (which I'd completely forgotten for the last fifteen years), and the Steve Miller songs.  The Joker's not hard on expert guitar, but it's certainly fun to play.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 20, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 20, 2009, 04:03:54 PM

Even as a fan of black metal, I completely agree.  They should have either a)  left it as DLC or "bonus" content or b) picked a far easier song.  To make a song that 99.9% of players are going to absolutely hate one of the most difficult songs in the game was an extremely poor decision.

so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I can't even decide if I like the drums or guitar or not since the ass-monkey vocals prevent me from really listening to them.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 20, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 20, 2009, 04:12:24 PM

Getting back to DLC:

Downloaded the Belly song (which I'd completely forgotten for the last fifteen years), and the Steve Miller songs.  The Joker's not hard on expert guitar, but it's certainly fun to play.

I got the same.

I was really psyched to see Belly.  Just another example of the benefits of the team working in and around the Boston music scene.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »

Wow, that is so cool that there is a Belly song in Rock Band. I am definitely going to have to buy it. Have they ever revealed the cost to convert a song into Rock Band DLC? I imagine that the licensing differs by song, but the cost of doing the charting? It would be interesting to know generally how many downloads they need to break even on a song and how that determines which songs get chosen.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 20, 2009, 05:05:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 20, 2009, 04:13:28 PM

Quote from: Gratch on January 20, 2009, 04:03:54 PM

so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I can't even decide if I like the drums or guitar or not since the ass-monkey vocals prevent me from really listening to them.

IMO, if a song is stupidly hard it doesn't bother me (Snow on Expert Guitar for example - I love the song, but I can't get the pattern down and fail out consistently). That's just something that requires practice and I can figure out over time - or play on a lower difficulty. And I realize the game is built to cater to as many demographics as possible - and I appreciate that. I range from don't mind to like on 83 of the 84 songs on the disc. The only one I refuse to ever play is Visions.

I even 'tried' to like it. I tried to play it five times or so, and even played through it on Hard. But I don't want to ever try to play it again. While I 'hate' to rag on music - and I try to understand that not everyone has the same tastes... this song is the sole reason I haven't even attempted the endless setlist - and will never attempt the endless setlist.

Getting back to DLC:

Pretty solid week, and marks the first tuesday I'm buying DLC this year, amazingly.

I'm getting the Steve Miller band pack, Belly, and Mutemath. I was tempted when I saw Ghost Hounds, as I loved Ashes to Fire, but the new song doesn't do anything for me. Same with the Rob Zombie song.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

I picked up Steve Miller, Belly, and Godsmack.  I like Mutemath, but not a fan of that song.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 21, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »

Does that mean that I won't ever be able to finish Expert career? If some of you great players can't beat Visions, I know I certainly won't be able to.

I got the SMB pack and Mutemath, I thought the song "Typical" was pretty catchy.

Just saw this on Chris' site:

Grateful Dead 02 Pack Confirmed

Cold Rain and Snow
Price: 160 Microsoft Points ($1.99)
Difficulty: Band 3 | Guitar 2 | Drum 3 | Vocals 1 | Bass 5

Doin’ That Rag
Difficulty: Band 4 | Guitar 2 | Drum 3 | Vocals 6 | Bass 4

Don’t Ease Me In
Difficulty: Band 3 | Guitar 3 | Drum 3 | Vocals 1 | Bass 4

Fire on the Mountain
Difficulty: Band 3 | Guitar 2 | Drum 4 | Vocals 0 | Bass 0

Hell in a Bucket
Difficulty: Band 4 | Guitar 3 | Drum 4 | Vocals 6 | Bass 3

Uncle John’s Band
Difficulty: Band 2 | Guitar 2 | Drum 3 | Vocals 0 | Bass 1
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 21, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on January 21, 2009, 02:52:22 PM

Does that mean that I won't ever be able to finish Expert career? If some of you great players can't beat Visions, I know I certainly won't be able to.

I got the SMB pack and Mutemath, I thought the song "Typical" was pretty catchy.

Cold Rain and Snow

Doin’ That Rag

Don’t Ease Me In

Fire on the Mountain

Hell in a Bucket

Uncle John’s Band

Cool.  I'm not a huge fan of the Dead, but their songs are an absolute blast to play.  Guess I should probably YouTube these, since I've never heard them before. 

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 21, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »

Not a single song there I recognize... frown
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 21, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 21, 2009, 03:00:31 PM

Not a single song there I recognize... frown

I'm sure you've heard Uncle John's Band. OK, not sure, but there's a very good chance.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on January 21, 2009, 02:52:22 PM

Cold Rain and Snow

Doin’ That Rag

Don’t Ease Me In

Fire on the Mountain

Hell in a Bucket

Uncle John’s Band

OMG OMG OMG  eek

I would trade Rag for Deal, but CR&S is all kinds of awesome. Fire's got some boring vocals though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 28, 2009, 03:11:27 AM »

OK, so I finally broke down and am now the proud (and hesitant) owner of Rock Band 2.  any nice and easy and fun DLC recommendations for a total n00b who probably doesn't have time to wade through 28 pages?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2009, 03:11:27 AM

OK, so I finally broke down and am now the proud (and hesitant) owner of Rock Band 2.  any nice and easy and fun DLC recommendations for a total n00b who probably doesn't have time to wade through 28 pages?

1.  Rush -Moving Pictures
2.  Foo Fighters -  The Colour and the Shape
3.  Boston pack

Considering I own over 220 dlc songs I am probably the wrong guy to ask.  icon_biggrin

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 28, 2009, 04:09:18 AM »

What kind of music are you into? modern rock, classic rock, punk, etc?

What instrument do you plan to focus on?

Do you plan to do a lot of multiplayer?

This might help in making recommendations.

I'm a huge fan of Franklin's Tower (Grateful Dead), which is possibly the best charted song in the game for guitar. It flows like drawn butter. I was not a Dead fan until Rock Band totally converted me.

Ceekay, also, be sure to check Chris Grenard's most excellent RB DLC site (rbdlc.com). It will allow you to view youtube vids of the note charts and listen to the song, and help in deciding if you like a song or not.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:11:40 AM by Jeff » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 28, 2009, 04:22:37 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2009, 04:09:18 AM

What kind of music are you into? modern rock, classic rock, punk, etc?

What instrument do you plan to focus on?

Do you plan to do a lot of multiplayer?

This might help in making recommendations.

I'm a huge fan of Franklin's Tower (Grateful Dead), which is possibly the best charted song in the game for guitar. It flows like drawn butter. I was not a Dead fan until Rock Band totally converted me.

Ceekay, also, be sure to check Chris Grenard's most excellent RB DLC site (rbdlc.com). It will allow you to view youtube vids of the note charts and listen to the song, and help in deciding if you like a song or not.

I'm pretty much into any kind of music, and at the moment I'm pretty much into the guitar portion, with vocal coming in second and the drums being last for now until I've had alot of practice.  I may get into MP at some point, but right now I'm still getting my feet wet.

I'll make sure to check out Chris' site  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: