http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:47:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Rock Band DLC News, Impressions, and Comments Thread  (Read 190064 times)
raydude
Gaming Trend Senior Member

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 30, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 29, 2008, 11:45:04 PM

+1.  I'm all for "everyone has different musical taste" and all that, but Christ on a cracker...folks.....those Fab Four Fuckers did a good deal for rock music.  Their evolution from bubble gum pop to really experimental stuff for its time is nothing short of amazing.

Agreed. I took a Music Appreciation class in college that was colloquially known as "Clapping for Credit". Still, the professor knew his stuff and went from rock to jazz to classical and a few other styles. On rock he opened my eyes to the Beatles when he talked about how typical rock has 1 or maybe two tempo changes. With the Beatles, he said, some songs would change tempo and scale 3 or more times and would approach the compositional complexity of classical music.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 30, 2008, 07:36:50 AM »

While I can see the PR win this is for Rock Band this gets a meh for me in terms of the game. I like the Beatles, I enjoy their music, and acknowledge the impact they had on the world of music. No doubt about it. But from the perspective of the game it doesn't do much for me.

Now the day a hear either Rock band or GH say they get exclusive rights to something like say the Led Zeppelin library is when I personally go "HELL YEA!!!"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 30, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »

No one is saying that RB getting the Beatles is a bad thing.  I think all of us would agree that it's a major coup for the franchise.  Some of us just don't really care for their music, that's all.  My stance is the same as it's been with every DLC release since day one:   if you like it, more power to you.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 30, 2008, 12:56:09 PM »

For those who don't think Beatles tracks will work in Rock Band, I point you to "Nine in the Afternoon" by Panic at the Disco.  That is, essentially a Beatles song distilled to its fun roots (or, really, it's a Jellyfish song who themselves were nothing short of the best fun-Beatles imitators ever, but that muddles the point).  That is a fun song to play.  Sure, it's not angsty or complex, but it's fun.  The Beatles have a ton of music that is way more complex than that.  Their tunes are incredibly diverse.  Unless you just don't like them, there will be something for everyone.

I agree with jersoc, though.  I have a feeling this will be a separate entity.  I have no problem paying for a separate disc, I just hope you have the ability to save the songs to the hard drive and play them in RB.  Swapping would be a PITA.

Quote from: raydude on October 30, 2008, 07:10:10 AM

I took a Music Appreciation class in college that was colloquially known as "Clapping for Credit".

Where did you go?  We had the same course, but maybe that's a more universal thing than I imagined.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 30, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 30, 2008, 12:56:09 PM

Quote from: raydude on October 30, 2008, 07:10:10 AM

I took a Music Appreciation class in college that was colloquially known as "Clapping for Credit".

Where did you go?  We had the same course, but maybe that's a more universal thing than I imagined.

I'm guessing colleges have their own slag for these kinds of courses. We also had Geology 101 - Rocks for Jocks and another one was Physics for Poets. I went to Yale.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 30, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »

This is great news.  Finally music I've heard of!  98% of the music on Rock Band and the downloadable content I've never heard of.  That of course makes it boring to play the songs.  I'm still waiting for a lot of the cheese from the 80's and memorable 70's songs to hit Rock Band.  I can't wait to rock out to Bananarama's Venus!!!  ninja headbang

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 30, 2008, 02:32:05 PM »

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/live-blog-the-b.html

A few tidbits:

Van Toffler, president of MTV Music and Logo group, takes the mic. "Today, we're announcing an exclusive partnership with Apple Corps, MTV Games, and Harmonix to create a brand new video game featuring the music of the Beatles."

Actually, it's Jeff Jones, CEO of Apple Corps, talking next. "In MTV and Harmonix, we see partners who admire the Beatles and Apple's original spirit and vision." Talking about introducing Beatles to new generation of fans and giving existing Beatles fans a new interactive way to experience the music. Giles Martin, he says, will "bring the same passion" to the development of the videogame as he did the Beatles Love soundtrack and show. And he's on the call today.

Alex picks up. "This is not just a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that." A "ground-up" project, a journey through the band's imagery and how the band evolved through their time together. This is a tall order.

Game will take us all the way through the Beatles' first album "Please Please Me" all the way to "Abbey Road."

The music will be based on the UK releases. Martin says: "We are trying to keep to, as much as possible, is for people to play the songs as though they're playing the originals... More of a way for them to interact with what they know very well as opposed to us remixing as we did in Love."

Sounds absolutely brilliant - a journey through everything 'beatles' - and I can't wait!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 30, 2008, 02:44:34 PM »

The fact that this and the AC/DC pack will be separate games and not ala cart DLC is disappointing to me.  Just like there are not $40 worth of AC/DC tracks I am interested in, there are certainly not $60 of Beatles tracks.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 30, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »

I will get this, no question, but as I said, I hope these songs will also be playable in RB2.  The line "not just a Rock Band expansion pack" is encouraging, at least.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 30, 2008, 02:44:34 PM

The fact that this and the AC/DC pack will be separate games and not ala cart DLC is disappointing to me.  Just like there are not $40 worth of AC/DC tracks I am interested in, there are certainly not $60 of Beatles tracks.

Yep same here. Now that it looks like this is a totally separate game I'm even less interested. What make Rock Band so good is the single platform they touted and have stuck with until know. Everything Is playable(except for those three songs you couldn't copy over from the RB 1 disc). Now they are pulling the same crap Activision is doing with GH and their released Aerosmith and upcoming Metallica themed titles.

One platform...all songs work and are available or you don't get my money publishers. Its that simple.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: October 30, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on October 30, 2008, 03:48:16 AM

Even if you HATE the Beatles...

Shut up and let people have their moment and be happy. They can be excited for things you're not without an arrogant prick coming in and saying 'man, I hate this band' or 'man, these 20 dlc are bands I've never heard of. I'm so disappointed'...........

icon_confused

Why must one who may not enjoy The Beatles be characterized as "an arrogant prick"?  You are obviously more than welcome to "have your moment and be happy" about the upcoming release of The Beatles for Rock Band.  But, as has become the standard, there will be gamers who feel the need to celebrate certain releases while some will in turn lament them.  I happen to be indifferent as I dislike The Beatles, and for a number of reasons.  And yes, I have listened to them.  I've never developed an appreciation for their music, but I also dislike them because of what they represent in my life.  My father was a "Beatlemaniac" if you will.  That was all he and my mother played in the house day-in and day-out.  And you would think that kind of exposure would cause one to develop an appreciation for their music.  But their music is instead a reminder of a troubled time in my past.

I also grew to dislike The Beatles due to the types of students I met in college who obsessed over them.  And I would characterize them as arrogant pricks for suggesting that their appreciation of The Beatles automatically qualified their opinions as fact and all those who disagreed either had poor taste or just "didn't get them." 

Relax, kemosabe.  It is yet another great step forward for Rock Band to have such a timeless band such as The Beatles.  But not everyone will be excited about it.  And that doesn't make them (or me) an arrogant prick.  Perhaps your little outburst came across as a little more arrogant or condescending than those who merely stated that they don't enjoy the music of The Beatles.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 30, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »

It's not just the beatles. It's when we get <insert band name here> and invariably the response is "Why didn't we get <song x>" or "Man, I hate <insert band name here>. Why can't we get more <insert band name or music genre/era here>" or "I've never even heard of <insert band name here>". People are taking offense to getting bands they don't know or don't like coming as OPTIONAL DLC.

You see this on a weekly basis. With every release, there's going to be people who don't like the choice that was made. If you go on the official rock band forums, the site is dripping with hate for every announcement made, regardless of who it is. All I'm asking is a little consideration - really *think* before you post. There's absolutely no reason to be negative on anything. You don't go into the 'fallout 3' thread and go 'I have no interest in this', do you? Why is that a requirement for the Rock Band DLC thread with each announcement?

I think my 'breaking point' for this issue was the announcement of the free DLC tracks. Because I love indie music and discovering new bands, and Rock Band has turned me on to more music than I ever dreamed possible and made me appreciate music in a different way.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:02:16 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 30, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on October 30, 2008, 03:52:38 PM

You don't go into the 'fallout 3' thread and go 'I have no interest in this', do you? Why is that a requirement for the Rock Band DLC thread with each announcement?

If Fallout 3 was receiving weekly content updates, I'm sure there would be plenty of people alternately praising or bitching about them as well.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 30, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »

It's not just the beatles. It's when we get <insert band name here> and invariably the response is "Why didn't we get <song x>" or "Man, I hate <insert band name here>. Why can't we get more <insert band name or music genre/era here>" or "I've never even heard of <insert band name here>".

You see this on a weekly basis. With every release, there's going to be people who don't like the choice that was made. If you go on the official rock band forums, the site is dripping with hate for every announcement made, regardless of who it is. All I'm asking is a little consideration - really *think* before you post. There's absolutely no reason to be negative on anything. You don't go into the 'fallout 3' thread and go 'I have no interest in this', do you? Why is that a requirement for the Rock Band DLC thread with each announcement?

I think in the case of Fallout 3, there would be no reason to visit the thread merely to indicate disinterest in the game itself.  But, in the case of Rock Band, posters in the DLC thread like Rock Band, and they're probably hoping for specific bands to be added to the game (I would love to see some Springsteen myself), and because music is so personal, inevitably there will be some who are excited about particular releases while others are disappointed about that same content.  I've never been a fan of rampant hate on internet forums, and Rock Band is a perfect example of an inherent inability to please all of the players all of the time.  Therefore disappointment is inevitable.  But I can certainly agree with you in how said disappointment is communicated.   

I think my 'breaking point' for this issue was the announcement of the free DLC tracks. Because I love indie music and discovering new bands, and Rock Band has turned me on to more music than I ever dreamed possible and made me appreciate music in a different way.

I also have learned to like a number of bands I had never heard of before all because of Rock Band and DLC.  Hell, I had never heard of the band Paramore and while they're apparently more pop-rock than the stuff I normally listen to, "Crush Crush Crush" is hella fun to play.  I can understand your position, and given the sheer breadth of DLC that has been released up to this point, there's obviously something for everyone.  But there will inevitably be those who like certain DLC releases, and others who don't, and I think this thread shouldn't only be reserved for positive statements.  Dissent and disagreements are good for all involved because it helps us grow, but it also helps us to learn more about our fellow posters.  Throughout the DLC process I've learned about the various music tastes of many forum posters, and while this information isn't directly useful in my day-to-day affairs, it's kind of cool to learn about yet another personal aspect of a forum member.  I learn just as much about posters who mention appreciation for particular DLC as those who share their negative feelings as well.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 30, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 30, 2008, 04:05:50 PM

If Fallout 3 was receiving weekly content updates, I'm sure there would be plenty of people alternately praising or bitching about them as well.

Anyone who has been to the World of Warcraft forums can attest to this.

People love to complain.

(I include myself in that group.)  icon_wink

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 30, 2008, 10:46:09 PM »

Who is picking up the AC/DC pack next week? I'm not an AC/DC fan and $40 seems a bit steep, but it's still kind of tempting.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 30, 2008, 10:49:26 PM »

I might rent it at some point and wait for the price to come down, but I'm not going to pay $40 for concert recordings of which that I haven't heard at least a preview.  In terms of cost, it's only marginally more expensive than the $2/track that in MS Points ($2.22 per +tax for the 18 tracks).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 30, 2008, 11:55:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 30, 2008, 10:49:26 PM

I might rent it at some point and wait for the price to come down, but I'm not going to pay $40 for concert recordings of which that I haven't heard at least a preview.  In terms of cost, it's only marginally more expensive than the $2/track that in MS Points ($2.22 per +tax for the 18 tracks).

Of course the problem with that is if you actually wanted all 18 tracks.  For me, there's only 3 or 4 that I would actually like.  So, I'll have to pass on the AC/DC thing.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 31, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on October 30, 2008, 11:55:19 PM

Of course the problem with that is if you actually wanted all 18 tracks.  For me, there's only 3 or 4 that I would actually like.  So, I'll have to pass on the AC/DC thing.

I'm in the same boat.  I will wait to see if the songs ever come out as DLC.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:03 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 31, 2008, 12:39:54 AM

They won't.  This is the only way AC/DC would do this.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:58 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 31, 2008, 12:51:03 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 31, 2008, 12:39:54 AM

They won't.  This is the only way AC/DC would do this.

I can do without AC/DC if that is the case.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 31, 2008, 02:16:11 AM »

It's not just the beatles. It's when we get <insert band name here> and invariably the response is "Why didn't we get <song x>" or "Man, I hate <insert band name here>. Why can't we get more <insert band name or music genre/era here>" or "I've never even heard of <insert band name here>". People are taking offense to getting bands they don't know or don't like coming as OPTIONAL DLC.

that is ridiculous. you're asking people not to express their opinion unless they agree with you. please, get that crap out of here. this thread is just for the purpose of discussing DLC. whether we hate, like or are indifferent to it. music is a vast sea of flavor. no one will ever agree. simply move past the comments that bug you.

you're not going to change anyone's mind in what they say here. so you would do wise to stop the crusade and not stress yourself out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 31, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »

Would it somehow break the universe if I complained about people complaining about the people complaining about the complainers?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 31, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »

As an aside, I contacted EA to get a replacement set of drums over 2 1/2 weeks ago (mine decided to start randomly shutting off mid-song), and as of yesterday, I still haven't received my coffin for the broken ones.   I'm irritated.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »

Quote from: Simon on October 30, 2008, 10:46:09 PM

Who is picking up the AC/DC pack next week? I'm not an AC/DC fan and $40 seems a bit steep, but it's still kind of tempting.

Here's a question - how does downloading them to your HD work? Is it a one time only dealy? In short, I bought a used version of RB1 from Gamestop, spent the $5 to transfer the songs, and then returned it. Can I do the same with this pack?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 31, 2008, 01:54:15 PM

Here's a question - how does downloading them to your HD work? Is it a one time only dealy? In short, I bought a used version of RB1 from Gamestop, spent the $5 to transfer the songs, and then returned it. Can I do the same with this pack?

I don't think the AC/DC stuff is transferable to the HD, but I could be wrong.  Haven't paid much attention since they don't really interest me.  Regardless, you'd need to find a used copy of the game, since Gamestop doesn't take returns on new games.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 31, 2008, 01:54:15 PM

There will be a one time use code in the box.  I'm guessing you will see alot of used copies at Gamestop without the code by late next week.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 31, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »

Next week's election day DLC is 3 90s-era songs by my fellow Seattleites, The Presidents of the United States of America:

Presidents of the United States of America- Dune Buggy
Presidents of the United States of America- Feather Pluckn
Presidents of the United States of America- Ladybug

Also, there's a song by Hinder, and a song by Fallout Boy, both of which elude my memory.

Oh, and the 20 songs that y'all love to hate will also be available on Tuesday.  (Thursday for PSN peeps, natch)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 01, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »

No Peaches???!!!  saywhat

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 01, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 01, 2008, 01:10:52 AM

Agreed.  W.T.F.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 01, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 01, 2008, 01:12:25 PM

Agreed.  W.T.F.

Yeah, it's about the only song from them I would have bought.  I remember when they came out, I had heard Lump and Peaches and thought I would like the album and I listened to it and thought it was awful.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 01, 2008, 05:56:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 01, 2008, 01:33:21 PM

Quote from: rickfc on November 01, 2008, 01:12:25 PM

Agreed.  W.T.F.

Yeah, it's about the only song from them I would have bought.  I remember when they came out, I had heard Lump and Peaches and thought I would like the album and I listened to it and thought it was awful.

Really?  I loved that first album.  I'll take anything from that, but, yeah, "Peaches" should have been on there.  I'd also take "Kitty on my Foot" or "We're not Going to Make It".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:06:30 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 05, 2008, 01:36:34 AM »

Rumor has it that the download codes for the 20 bonus songs have begun going out and will take 24 hours to fully distribute to all of those that have registered.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »

There's been a snag...

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 06, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »

I think I would be more outraged if I cared at all about the 20 free tracks  icon_biggrin

On the other hand we do get The Colour and the Shape album next week.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1542813#post1542813

Nice.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 06, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »

This thread makes me realize how far RB has fallen off my gaming map.  It's partly due to EA's incompetence (I submitted an RMA for my broken drum set 3 weeks ago, and still haven't even received my coffin.  Finally got a tracking number from them yesterday) and partly due to what I assume is rhythm game burn-out.  I sat down to play through a bit more of my guitar career, and only got 3 songs in before getting bored.  I used to watch the DLC releases like a hawk, and was always excited to see what was coming out.  Nowadays, even songs I love barely get a second look, and I've probably only picked up one or two songs in the last couple months.  In fact, the last one (Bad Religion's Sorrow) has been played a grand total of once since being DL'ed.

I'm hoping a fixed drumset will help me get back into it, but it'll be another couple weeks at best before that happens.  Not sure when or why the disconnect happened, but I just can't generate any enthusiasm for RB at all anymore.  I miss the days of leaderboard smack and nightly jam sessions, but I suppose it's jut time to move on...  frown

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 06, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »

I play the new DLC I am interested in when it comes out and that is about it.  I have this and GH:WT, but Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are eating up my music game time.  Although, now that I think about it, I did beat the career mode on Expert for the AC/DC disc.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 06, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »

Colour and the Shape announced for next week.  I didn't buy anything this week, but will definitely do so next.

*  "Doll"
    * "Monkey Wrench"
    * "Hey, Johnny Park!"
    * "My Poor Brain"
    * "Wind Up"
    * "Up in Arms"
    * "My Hero"
    * "See You"
    * "Enough Space"
    * "February Stars"
    * "Walking After You"
    * "New Way Home"

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 06, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 06, 2008, 06:54:08 PM

Colour and the Shape announced for next week.  I didn't buy anything this week, but will definitely do so next.

*  "Doll"
    * "Monkey Wrench"
    * "Hey, Johnny Park!"
    * "My Poor Brain"
    * "Wind Up"
    * "Up in Arms"
    * "My Hero"
    * "See You"
    * "Enough Space"
    * "February Stars"
    * "Walking After You"
    * "New Way Home"

That's Foo Fighters, if anyone's curious.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 06, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 06, 2008, 07:38:15 PM

That's Foo Fighters, if anyone's curious.

Anyone who doesn't know doesn't deserve to live.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: