http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Rock Band DLC News, Impressions, and Comments Thread  (Read 189809 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2008, 04:14:34 AM »

I felt the same way about the disturburbed songs. wtf @ kick pedal. i just moved into an apt at the top floor, i seriously hope people below aren't home during the day. :lol: My destroyer should be shipping this week or next, so hopefully that'll help with better rebounding.

I took a chance and got the buffett(or buffet who knows) songs. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only are they pretty good to listen to, but fun to play. I think that's awesome HMX got them to re-record that. I hope more bands do that. Stuff from the 70's and 80's that would more than likely sound like crap. But apparently Ozzie hates these games, so wishful thinking there, eh? Or at least I don't believe we got a master track from him yet.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 04, 2008, 04:14:34 AM

My destroyer should be shipping this week or next, so hopefully that'll help with better rebounding.

Let me know what you think of the destroyer.  I think I am going to bite the bullet and get a 3rd party pedal.  I just ordered my 4th pedal from EA this morning.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 04, 2008, 01:28:45 AM

Gratch I'm bummed you don't like them on drums (not that I blame you), I was looking forward to us playing those together. But there's always Buffet  icon_cool

I might play them again, just not on Expert.   I'm not a big Disturbed fan anyways (that "ooooorrrrrrr-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah" growl-thing the singer does in every song is possibly the stupidest sound ever recorded in human history), so I'm sure that doesn't help my impression.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 04, 2008, 12:40:10 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 04, 2008, 01:28:45 AM

Gratch I'm bummed you don't like them on drums (not that I blame you), I was looking forward to us playing those together. But there's always Buffet  icon_cool

I might play them again, just not on Expert.   I'm not a big Disturbed fan anyways (that "ooooorrrrrrr-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah" growl-thing the singer does in every song is possibly the stupidest sound ever recorded in human history), so I'm sure that doesn't help my impression.

Since the Sickness Draiman hasn't done it that much at all; something about tearing out his vocal chords. I could be wrong though; I have a have a hazy memory of an interview which touched on why Believe didn't have the throat sounds.

Ten Thousand Fists also doesn't have much of it ... since I've not heard the new album (yet) I'll let you know when I do. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 04, 2008, 01:03:36 PM

Since the Sickness Draiman hasn't done it that much at all; something about tearing out his vocal chords. I could be wrong though; I have a have a hazy memory of an interview which touched on why Believe didn't have the throat sounds.

Ten Thousand Fists also doesn't have much of it ... since I've not heard the new album (yet) I'll let you know when I do. biggrin

True. What happened was Draiman basically shredded his vocal chords and ended up having surgery to repair it. Disturbed had to cancel a concert tour a while back because of it. That said, I always loved those sounds (sorry gratch, don't hate me smile), they are very unusual and I think take a lot of vocal talent to do. They also fit with the music type. I always thought of them as being like another instrument. I've never heard anyone else do anything like it.

Also, jersoc, I'd like to know where you heard Ozzy hates these type games. That's disappointing. I'm a big Ozzy fan and I always figured him for someone who'd go along with games like GH or RB.

Lastly, I agree wholeheartedly about Buffett's coolness of agreeing to remaster his classics for RB. Now I just wish we could get Rush and Black Sabbath masters frown
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:27:54 PM by Jeff Jones » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 04, 2008, 01:25:45 PM

True. What happened was Draiman basically shredded his vocal chords and ended up having surgery to repair it. Disturbed had to cancel a concert tour a while back because of it. That said, I always loved those sounds (sorry gratch, don't hate me smile), they are very unusual and I think take a lot of vocal talent to do. They also fit with the music type. I always thought of them as being like another instrument. I've never heard anyone else do anything like it.

Slight derail:  You should listen to some of Mike Patton's music (Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Peeping Tom, Tomahawk, Faith No More, etc.).  He uses his voice as an instrument more than anyone I've ever heard.  Dude can do the most amazing things you've ever heard with those pipes.  The music itself is certainly more challenging that Disturbed's nu-metal schtick, but he is truly an amazing vocalist.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 03, 2008, 11:30:21 PM

*ALERT*

If you're in the Boston area, and interested in RB, shoot me a PM.  I have an opportunity that may be of interest to you.

I so wish I were living in the Boston area right now! icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 04, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on June 04, 2008, 04:08:19 PM

*ALERT*

If you're in the Boston area, and interested in RB, shoot me a PM.  I have an opportunity that may be of interest to you.

I so wish I were living in the Boston area right now! icon_frown

Yeah, me too, but then I'd still have to deal with the whole "... and are qualified" part smile
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »

Now I just wish we could get Rush and Black Sabbath masters frown

CHAZ MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 04, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 04, 2008, 04:51:25 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on June 04, 2008, 01:25:45 PM

Blasphemer.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 04, 2008, 02:08:04 AM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 04, 2008, 01:30:15 AM

*ALERT*

Weird you mention this. Last night I had a dream that you put in a plug for me, and I got hired by Harmonix. smile

If you were in the Boston area, interested, and qualified, I would do that for you.  However, this may not be that moment.  smile

How "Boston Area" are we talking?  I'm in Connecticut, and it's a very familiar drive...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 04, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 04, 2008, 04:51:25 PM

CHAZ MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

You have a surprising amount of faith in my ability to do things that people much smarter than me and with way more experience and connections haven't been able to do.  Thanks for the thought though.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 04, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 04, 2008, 12:21:00 PM

Quote from: jersoc on June 04, 2008, 04:14:34 AM

My destroyer should be shipping this week or next, so hopefully that'll help with better rebounding.

Let me know what you think of the destroyer.  I think I am going to bite the bullet and get a 3rd party pedal.  I just ordered my 4th pedal from EA this morning.

yeah, i'll post impressions. i've had this thing on order since march  icon_lol eek

right now my pedal is rigged up with some wood since it's cracked in like 4 spots. this works surprisingly enough. so I'm pretty pumped to be getting this soon.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 04, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 04, 2008, 01:03:36 PM

Also, jersoc, I'd like to know where you heard Ozzy hates these type games. That's disappointing. I'm a big Ozzy fan and I always figured him for someone who'd go along with games like GH or RB.

Lastly, I agree wholeheartedly about Buffett's coolness of agreeing to remaster his classics for RB. Now I just wish we could get Rush and Black Sabbath masters frown

I wasn't being literal. Pointing out we've yet to get a master. I think maybe Bark at the moon was a master, but i'm not sure. outside of that, pretty sure we haven't gotten another.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »

Bark at the Moon was definitely a cover.  Nothing on GH1 was a master.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »

^^^

Why are you wasting time here when you should be on the phone with Rush's management company (SRO) and their manager (Ray Danniels) begging them to release 2112 (side one please) or Hemispheres (all of it please) as master tracks for your brilliant game????

Get to work!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »

Because I'm posting while I'm on hold with the record label working on getting some Avril Levigne and Coldplay for the game.

Wait, Coldplay's spoken for?  Well crud. 

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2008, 08:08:26 PM »

coldplay is blah anyways. let them goto the milk franchise i say.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 04, 2008, 08:08:26 PM

Oh how much I would pay to play "Yellow" on my plastic instruments!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 04, 2008, 08:13:31 PM

Quote from: jersoc on June 04, 2008, 08:08:26 PM

Oh how much I would pay to play "Yellow" on my plastic instruments!!

$2 or $1.67 if purchased with a 3 song bundle?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »

Look at the cash signs, look how they buy you blow. it was all white.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 05, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »

Love RB but WTF is up with the Who's Next album release.  That was one of the major selling points for me and after waiting more than 6 months Im finally officially pissed off!  Is this ever coming out?  What exactly is the hold up?  I need answers or someones gonna get a large plastic guitar up the side of the head, El Kabong style!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 05, 2008, 02:03:51 PM

Love RB but WTF is up with the Who's Next album release.

What exactly is the hold up?

It's all ready to go but whenever they get into a conversation about who's releasing The Who's Who's Next it devolves into a Who's on First? routine and they just throw up their hands and release something else instead.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 04, 2008, 12:06:24 AM

So...they're automatically issuing a replacement bass pedal to anyone who downloads the Disturbed pack.  Right?   Seriously, playing every kick of looooooong double-bass runs on a single pedal is not my idea of fun.   Fuck those songs, they'll never get played again.

The Buffet pack is a blast though.   Margaritaville and Volcano are loads and loads of fun, with Volcano being especially awesome.  It's tougher than I expected, especially since the kick pedal keeps a steady rhythm all the way through.   Both covers are great, and really do the originals justice.  I do agree with Jeff that the Cheeseburger in Paradise remake just sounds...wrong.  The guitars are way to heavy, and Buffet sounds somewhat disinterested.

Have to disagree with you on the Disturbed tracks.  They were a ton of fun to play and very challenging on the foot.  I got home from my last trip and downloaded all the stuff I was missing:  The Cars album, Disturbed pack, and Buffet pack.  I am pleased with all of them.

I forgot how good that Cars album is.  There are only two songs I have never heard of and one of them is really good.  The other one is kind of weird...I like it, but not sure how often I would play it.  The rest of the songs are gold.  The drum parts aren't incredibly challenging, but still fun to play.  Can't wait to do the guitars as they sound great.

The Buffet songs were also fun to play on drums and actually a little harder than the Cars drum parts.  I don't mind the remakes too much, but my only complaint is the sound quality doesn't seem very good.

The Disturbed songs were crazy fun to play on drums.  Very hard....you need a leg of steel to play them.  I got through all three on my first try, but there is certainly tons of room for improvement.

Bring on next week's stuff!

The Buff

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2008, 03:05:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 05, 2008, 02:43:12 PM

Have to disagree with you on the Disturbed tracks.  They were a ton of fun to play and very challenging on the foot.  I got home from my last trip and downloaded all the stuff I was missing:  The Cars album, Disturbed pack, and Buffet pack.  I am pleased with all of them.

Challenging?  Yes.  Fun?  You and I apparently have different definitions there.  slywink  I was able to get through all three, but I was afraid my pedal was going to snap in half the entire time I was playing.  Probably would have been tolerable if I had some sort of pedal mod, but there's no way I'm playing them again until I get one.

The Buff

icon_lol 

BTW, do we get a debrief on the PeteRock Rock Band experience?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2008, 03:05:39 PM

The Buff

icon_lol 

BTW, do we get a debrief on the PeteRock Rock Band experience?

Hah, I am not sure how that "The Buff" thing got in there.  Guess my cursor jumped around or something.

As for the PeteRock Rock Band experience....are you spying on me?   eek

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »

Alright, well I stalked Pete Rocks posts and see now where he mentioned I was coming over.  Rock Band was fun, but I had some issues where I felt like I had to play ahead of the actual music as I heard it in order to not be counted off.  So, my drumming sucked and I killed us all on Run to the Hills because how do you play ahead of something like that?  I did some singing and guitar playing as well and a good time was had by all, though I think Pete got tired of me complaining about the drums. slywink  I was trying to defend my honor because I am sure he thought I sucked after witnessing that.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

I would argue that it sounds like Pete sucks at calibrating his system, and has simply gotten used to his sucky calibration.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 05, 2008, 03:55:42 PM

I would argue that it sounds like Pete sucks at calibrating his system, and has simply gotten used to his sucky calibration.

That's an important point. I went to a friend's house who had RB on a PS3 with a 42" LCD TV and the calibration was god-awful on his setup. I showed him how to calibrate and he couldn't believe the difference afterwards.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 05, 2008, 04:01:42 PM

That's an important point. I went to a friend's house who had RB on a PS3 with a 42" LCD TV and the calibration was god-awful on his setup. I showed him how to calibrate and he couldn't believe the difference afterwards.

Well, for Pete, he felt it was right.  We talked about it and he said he had gone through the calibration and it showed a value of 0 for him.  When he played drums he felt they were dead on.  So, it can also be about perception as well.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »

I have a friend who has a rear projection TV.  At home I only have LCD and Plasma TVs'.  Whenever I go over his house to play I fail out constantly.  It seems like I am hitting the notes early but my brain cannot adjust.  I've tried calibrating his TV for my profile but it doesn't make much of a difference. 

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »

every so often we get a group for RB at a friend's place. He has like a 60 some inch DLP. Well about 3 weeks ago we were playing and I noticed me in the red. Wtf this is a tier 1 song, no way im off beat. Afterwards I had him check the latency, it was at a NEGATIVE number. I was like, uh, having a negative is impossible. So we spent a good 20 mins getting it right. I was amazed that he had it like this.

then we went on to be the number band on a few songs like zero, which are probably long beaten now.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 05, 2008, 04:27:07 PM

Well, for Pete, he felt it was right.  We talked about it and he said he had gone through the calibration and it showed a value of 0 for him.  When he played drums he felt they were dead on.  So, it can also be about perception as well.

I have gone through the calibration process.  And after a number of tries it came back as 0.  It could very well not make a difference, but I calibrated with the guitar, not the drums.  But also in my defense, the drums have never felt "off" to me.  Then again, I don't play them that often, but when I do I don't have any trouble keeping beat.  Knightshade has played at our house a number of times and has never expressed concern about the calibration.  Guitar and vocals have always felt spot-on, and never before has anyone expressed concern, so I had no reason up until now to question the existing calibration settings.  Maybe they're off.  But why would they feel off on one instrument but no others? 

Perhaps I suck at calibration.  Perhaps Grue sucks at drums in Arizona due to the arid climate ().  Rock Band only comes out when guests express interest in playing.  I don't play enough on my own to notice any issues in calibration, but when I do play it hasn't ever been an issue.  Perhaps I should have had Grue give calibration a try to see if I inadvertantly did something wrong.  The next time we break it out I'll give it another try.  But it'll probably be a while. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 05, 2008, 07:43:18 PM

I have gone through the calibration process.  And after a number of tries it came back as 0.

From the sound of it you're under the impression that there is a single number to set for calibration, a confusion I held for a while.  There are two.  The first one you set determines the delay between audio and video.  The second one sets the delay between user input and display.  You almost certainly don't want the two numbers to be the same.

This calibration guide worked wonders on my setup. 

It may sound complicated, but the gist is that you first do the 2nd calibration--the one where you strum--with the sound off.  Then you play some easy songs, also with the sound off, to test the setting.  This way you're calibrating the controller lag and only the controller lag without the possible A/V lag interfering.  Then once it feels good you can go back and set the first setting for A/V lag.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »

Thanks for the link.  I have messed around with it a little and definitely improved my own calibration.  I never realized there were two values.  I always felt like I could quite get the sound to match where I was supposed to hit and it was because I would always put the same value in both places.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 06, 2008, 12:03:56 AM

Thanks for the link.  I have messed around with it a little and definitely improved my own calibration.  I never realized there were two values.  I always felt like I could quite get the sound to match where I was supposed to hit and it was because I would always put the same value in both places.

That's what I did initially as well.  I thought the first number given was the number I was supposed to set in the second screen.  I don't know how I somehow ended up with a playable setup doing it that way, but it actually felt pretty good.  Now that I have it set the right way, though, it's so much easier to play.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »

I wonder what the DLC announcement will be today. In the past few weeks we've had.

Euro Tracks (mix)
Cars (80's music)
Disturbed (2000's music, metal)
Buffet (70's music)

That means today should be all about the 90's. This game needs some more 90's love and since this is the musical generation I grew up in, I hope they give us something great from that era today.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 06, 2008, 02:26:47 PM

I wonder what the DLC announcement will be today. In the past few weeks we've had.

Euro Tracks (mix)
Cars (80's music)
Buffet (70's music)

That means today should be all about the 90's. This game needs some more 90's love and since this is the musical generation I grew up in, I hope they give us something great from that era today.

I would kill for a grunge pack.  Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, etc.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2008, 02:31:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 06, 2008, 02:28:26 PM

Euro Tracks (mix)
Cars (80's music)
Buffet (70's music)

I would kill for a grunge pack.  Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, etc.

I would enjoy that very much. I would also enjoy some RHCP, Green Day, Foo Fighters (my #1 most wanted song is My Hero), and Nirvana.

If they wanted to back to the 80's again I could use another dose of Bon Jovi. Wanted Dead or Alive is fun to play, but I've burned out on it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 06, 2008, 02:28:26 PM

Euro Tracks (mix)
Cars (80's music)
Buffet (70's music)

I couldn't agree more.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: