http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 02:15:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official response for LIVE  (Read 3460 times)
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »

As I type this, Live is STILL fucked up.  I can't see my friends list and it's taking me forever to sign in.

A free month (while they sort the problems out) would be a better solution than a free XBLA game.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »

If they make it a free XBLA game of the users choice to DL free then thats not such a bad compensation and money-wise is better than a free month added. If its a game of their choosing then not so much.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on January 04, 2008, 10:38:19 PM

As I type this, Live is STILL fucked up.  I can't see my friends list and it's taking me forever to sign in.

A free month (while they sort the problems out) would be a better solution than a free XBLA game.

as me and a lot of other people have already paid for the full year ahead a month free is pretty useless....and yes i have started to have the same problems again,COD4 is just not finding games...they need to seperate servers,not just delay the demo etc for a week to silver members...this i think is due to new people getting a 360 and immediately downloading demos...keep online gaming on a seperate server!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »

I also paid for a year, but I would welcome a free month tagged onto the end of my subscription.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2008, 04:04:52 AM »

just saw this posted in a comments section of the MN blog.

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9840766-56.html?tag=nefd.top

for those who don't like links....

Microsoft sued over Xbox outage
Posted by Ina Fried
Microsoft now faces a lawsuit over recent problems with its Xbox Live online gaming service.

Three Texas residents filed a lawsuit Friday on behalf of themselves and others who have had trouble connecting to Xbox Live in recent weeks.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Houston, claims Microsoft's outages represent a breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation for which the software maker is liable. The suit doesn't claim specific damages, but notes the amount is in excess of $5 million.

In the suit, the plaintiffs allege that Microsoft should have known strong holiday sales would tax its servers. "Microsoft knew the increase in subscriptions would increase game-play on its servers, yet failed to provide adequate access and service to Xbox Live and its subscribers."

Microsoft has apologized for the outage and said it would allow Xbox live subscribers to download a free game.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available for comment.

Ummm get fucking life.  It is a service and in the terms of service they give a disclaimer.  I think people need to just chill out......

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 04:09:43 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 05, 2008, 04:04:52 AM

Posted by Ina Fried
Microsoft now faces a lawsuit over recent problems with its Xbox Live online gaming service.

Three Texas residents filed a lawsuit Friday on behalf of themselves and others who have had trouble connecting to Xbox Live in recent weeks.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Houston, claims Microsoft's outages represent a breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation for which the software maker is liable. The suit doesn't claim specific damages, but notes the amount is in excess of $5 million.

In the suit, the plaintiffs allege that Microsoft should have known strong holiday sales would tax its servers. "Microsoft knew the increase in subscriptions would increase game-play on its servers, yet failed to provide adequate access and service to Xbox Live and its subscribers."

Microsoft has apologized for the outage and said it would allow Xbox live subscribers to download a free game.

Ummm get fucking life.  It is a service and in the terms of service they give a disclaimer.  I think people need to just chill out......

wow, that is dumb.  trying to file a class action lawsuit over a week's worth of subpar service is really reaching for it.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 06:02:58 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 05, 2008, 04:09:43 AM

Posted by Ina Fried

wow, that is dumb.  trying to file a class action lawsuit over a week's worth of subpar service is really reaching for it.

it's america, everyone is a legal expert!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 04:38:39 PM »

That lawsuit sounds like WoW players to me.  Everytime there was 1 hour of downtime their forums would get all lawsuit happy.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »

the free title isn't in compensation for the downtime but is instead to celebrate the record success of the service...
I just dont see Microsofts endgame here. I know Sony (this round)was about Bluray and the determination to not losing another format war, plus Sony Home could really change the way we see online gaming ( if it ever comes out)

Xbox while a decent gaming system when working, has ( lets be real here)  Lost the company 6 BILLION dollars, has had a huge production flaw , the sorts never seen before, has backed a losing format, and now has real problems with their LIVE servers, at a time when it should be tested and cruising nicely.
 For the life of me I dont see what microsoft thinks its going to get from joining the console arena.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:35:53 PM by TC Weidner » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »

Posted by Ina Fried

Why the hate?

They can't have a continued outage and expect to remedy it with a 'free game'. THey should refund the equivalent of our costs for the outage or tack the equivalent time onto the end of our subscription.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »

Posted by Ina Fried

The only winners in a class action suit like this (and in most class action lawsuits) are the lawyers representing the plaintiffs.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 06:07:54 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on January 05, 2008, 05:47:08 PM

The only winners in a class action suit like this (and in most class action lawsuits) are the lawyers representing the plaintiffs.

you guys are some real sneaky fuckers
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:31 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 05, 2008, 05:44:24 PM

Why the hate?

Because class action lawsuits only get lawyers rich and don't serve to remedy the problem.

Edit: Beaten.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on January 05, 2008, 05:31:52 PM

For the life of me I dont see what microsoft thinks its going to get from joining the console arena.

In short, it's the fact that a huge part of a growing generation has a Microsoft product right underneath their TV as a primary source of entertainment.  That generation is going to grow up to be technically savvy and Microsoft will reap the long-term rewards of those positive associations.  That's my theory at least.  Six billion or so over seven years is a drop in the bucket for a company that had roughly $12.6 billion in net income in 2006 alone, though I'm sure they'd rather have it all be profit smile
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »

Posted by Ina Fried

3 weeks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 05, 2008, 10:23:57 PM

Posted by Ina Fried

3 weeks

so, figuring the average XBL subscription is 10 bucks a month after taxes and that's about a months worth then they're trying to get 500,000 subscribers their 10 bucks back.  of course if they win and the lawyers take their cut then it'll be alot less.

yep, that's a waste of time. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2008, 06:40:16 AM »

In short, it's the fact that a huge part of a growing generation has a Microsoft product right underneath their TV as a primary source of entertainment.  That generation is going to grow up to be technically savvy and Microsoft will reap the long-term rewards of those positive associations.
  but isnt that silly? Didnt Gates and his boys get their billions because they understood the real easy money was in the software not hardware?  They have seemingly forgot the lesson that allowed them to become rich in the first place.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »

I think the class action suit is more about publicity than actual damages.  In that sense, it's a good thing a MS wants to avoid the bad publicity now that the PS3 seems to be doing better.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 07, 2008, 11:41:29 AM

I think the class action suit is more about publicity than actual damages.  In that sense, it's a good thing a MS wants to avoid the bad publicity now that the PS3 seems to be doing better.

Either way its going to get thrown out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2008, 01:49:28 AM »

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:34 AM »

Haahahahahaha awesome.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2008, 06:50:28 AM »

Quote from: kathode on January 04, 2008, 04:34:47 PM

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out.  Wouldn't it be great if life was fair? smile  I'm just hoping (but not really expecting) it's a decent game and not another Yaris or Aegis Wing.

Everytime my internet has gone out for more than a day I've called and been credited for my bill that month. As far as I know most cable companies will comp you something if there's any kind of extended outage. It's just that most people are too lazy to call.

And the difference here is that live is $50 a year, not $50 a month. What are they going to do? Credit me three dollars or whatever it is?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2008, 07:53:22 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on January 08, 2008, 06:50:28 AM

Quote from: kathode on January 04, 2008, 04:34:47 PM

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out.  Wouldn't it be great if life was fair? smile  I'm just hoping (but not really expecting) it's a decent game and not another Yaris or Aegis Wing.

Everytime my internet has gone out for more than a day I've called and been credited for my bill that month. As far as I know most cable companies will comp you something if there's any kind of extended outage. It's just that most people are too lazy to call.

Well actually this is isn't the case with the monopolistic cable co's. in Canada. Here they just take your cable modem away for a month and don't give it back until you apologize for being so cocky. OK so I'm exaggerating a bit. Howerver, I kid you not that about 5 years ago a friend moved into a residence that unknown to him already had cable TV activated and about 2 months after he moved in the local cable monopoly came in and disconnected all connections, including his cable internet. When he phoned and complained an obnoxious repaireman arrived on the scene and made the comment, this wouldn't have happened if you weren't pirating; WTF!? Yup that about sums up the quality of service here. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

Nice anecdotal service. I've got Shaw Highspeed (10Mbps) service for the cost of Shaw lite cuz I called and asked what they can do to retain me over going to the DSL competitor. Oh, and they threw in all the digital channels for a month, gave me full cable service (we had basic) for 8 bux and they threw in a non-HD PVR at no cost (if we ever leave them we have to give it back).

Since I already have an HD PVR that means the lo-def TV gets some love and the craptastic non-HD shows can stop cluttering the nice set.

See? One anecdotal story for another. I don't see how that's different from anywhere else. I used to do tech support for AT&T Broadband (roadrunner and @home) and let me tell you, I've never come across worse 3rd party installers EVER.

I've had bad experiences with Shaw as well, but overall it's been a lot better lately. I agree the cableco's used to be monopolistic; now that they have competition they run a tighter ship.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:18:08 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 08, 2008, 07:53:22 AM

Howerver, I kid you not that about 5 years ago a friend moved into a residence that unknown to him already had cable TV activated and about 2 months after he moved in the local cable monopoly came in and disconnected all connections, including his cable internet. When he phoned and complained an obnoxious repaireman arrived on the scene and made the comment, this wouldn't have happened if you weren't pirating; WTF!? Yup that about sums up the quality of service here. 

LOL, about the same thing happened with me and Time Warner.  a rep showed up at my door and said that they had forgotten to disconnect the cable and they needed to charge me as I was apparently using it (the TV was on when I opened the door).  I informed him I was using their competitor (Wide Open West) and without missing a beat he said 'oh, well if you switch over I can offer you the exact same pricing' to which I replied 'that's nice, but WOW hasn't ever accused me of pirating cable.  See you' and closed the door in his face.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »

Well this is interesting.  Can't connect to live, but when I do the 'test xbox live connection' it tells me everything is fine.  But I can't connect.

This seems contradictory somehow.

Edit: and now it works again... <sigh>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2008, 12:26:27 AM »

Having problems here as well.  All I want to do is download a Rock Band song!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:14 AM »

As I type this, I have been trying for the last 40 minutes to play CoD 4 and get either "cannot join session", "no session available", or "you must have an active connection.....". I have been EXTREMELY patient about this Live problem, but I am getting ready to start calling them and raising some hell. This is what, the 3rd week we've had problems? This is Microsoft we're talking about, MICROSOFT, with the resources they have at their disposal, it is inexcusable for them to be continuing to have this problem with a pay service.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2008, 02:03:08 AM »

And they've told us nothing about how they're fixing the problem.

George is getting upset.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: