http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:04:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official response for LIVE  (Read 3522 times)
papasmurff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2008/01/03/xbox-live-holiday-performance.aspx#comments

From major nelson's site

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »

watch the free XBLA game be Pacman.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:17:55 AM »

Free XBLA game plus a free month of Gold would've been much classier.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:19:06 AM »

Yeah, I think I would have even just preferred to get a free week or two added onto my account instead of an Arcade title.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:22:45 AM »

Love the spin there- the free title isn't in compensation for the downtime but is instead to celebrate the record success of the service...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:28:58 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 04, 2008, 05:22:45 AM

Love the spin there- the free title isn't in compensation for the downtime but is instead to celebrate the record success of the service...

If there's something I learned during my time at that company, it's that they seem to really enjoy putting ridiculous positive spin on something anyone with half a brain can see through.

gellar
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:34:52 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 04, 2008, 05:28:58 AM

If there's something I learned during my time at that company, it's that they seem to really enjoy putting ridiculous positive spin on something anyone with half a brain can see through.

gellar

Yeah but they'd be stupid to not put a positive spin on it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 05:41:32 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 04, 2008, 05:34:52 AM

gellar

Yeah but they'd be stupid to not put a positive spin on it.

Certainly, yeah... I just think sometimes it's overdone.

gellar
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »

If there's something I learned during my time at that company, it's that they seem to really enjoy putting ridiculous positive spin on something anyone with half a brain can see through

yeah, but the thing is...what percentage of the mass american consumer population has half a brain?

another marketing lesson =P
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 05:55:34 AM »

Yeah....I don't want an arcade title....I mean come on....

And if this is in celebration of their achievement what are they doing for those who are unhappy about the down time of the service???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:58:43 AM by papasmurff » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 05:59:50 AM »

maybe they should give us all a special Achievement to celebrate this achievement!!!!

Because I can,
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 04, 2008, 05:59:50 AM

maybe they should give us all a special Achievement to celebrate this achievement!!!!

YEah the you survived a shitty couple of weeks on live achievement---1000pts

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 07:20:47 AM »

major now has a show up talking about the issue

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »

I don't care about compensation.  Just fix the problem.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »

Lame.

Fuck Microsoft.

Fuck EA too.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »

Quote from: Ike
Links are for pussies.
so here you go:
Dear Xbox LIVE Members:                                                                                                     

During this past holiday season you helped us break a number of Xbox LIVE records.  This included our largest sign-up of new members to Xbox LIVE in our 5 year history and just yesterday you broke the record for the single biggest day of concurrent members ever on the service. 

As a result of this massive increase in usage we know that some of you experienced intermittent Xbox LIVE issues over the holiday break.  While the service was not completely offline at any given time, we are disappointed in our performance.  I would like to take this moment to thank you each and every one of you for your patience and understanding as our team has worked around the clock to return the service to a stable state. 

At the same time we would like to offer a token of our appreciation to all of you in celebration of record success for the service.  And as a thank you for your loyalty during this holiday period, we will be offering all of our Xbox LIVE members around the world access to a full Xbox LIVE Arcade game that will be available to download free of charge.  In the coming weeks we will be sharing the specific details of this offer with you. 

Thank you again for helping make Xbox LIVE everything that it is today! 

Sincerely,

Marc Whitten
General Manager, Xbox LIVE
Gamertag: Notwen

Arcade games can be worth more than a month of service dollar-wise. Let's hope they don't just re-open the catan thing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 01:33:05 PM »

Free game = good
Free game I already have = likely
Me = sad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »

Good for them. Service outage sucked, but it wasn't constant or completely down, and we get a free game. Good PR moves. They are learning from the RROD fiasco.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 04, 2008, 12:47:14 PM

Arcade games can be worth more than a month of service dollar-wise. Let's hope they don't just re-open the catan thing.

I could deal with Catan being free.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »

The problem seems to have stemmed from an attack, though, according to a report I read last night.  Not an influx of gamers or a problem with their hardware.

In my opinion, that kind of takes the responsibility off of MS's shoulders a bit (not completely, but moreso).  Offering anything for something that was, essentially, an act of God (or really an act of tiny devils) is a classy move.  Regardless of what the free thing offered is.

EDIT:  Of course, Endgadget just debunked that, so never mind.  http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/debunk-xbox-live-was-down-but-not-due-to-ddos-attack/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:48:51 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 04, 2008, 03:46:59 PM

The problem seems to have stemmed from an attack, though, according to a report I read last night.  Not an influx of gamers or a problem with their hardware.

In my opinion, that kind of takes the responsibility off of MS's shoulders a bit (not completely, but moreso).  Offering anything for something that was, essentially, an act of God (or really an act of tiny devils) is a classy move.  Regardless of what the free thing offered is.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that.  People are paying MS for a service and that service was not provided reliably for an extended period of time.  Whether it was because of capacity issues or because their systems were attacked doesn't change the fact that people weren't getting the service they paid for.  Personally I think compensating people in such a scenario should be expected.

Also, I'm no internet security expert but if Live is susceptible to such attacks then isn't it still Microsoft's "fault" for now properly securing their network? 

EDIT- just saw your edit from Engadget.  Disregard. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out.  Wouldn't it be great if life was fair? smile  I'm just hoping (but not really expecting) it's a decent game and not another Yaris or Aegis Wing.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 04:37:30 PM »

In all fairness wasn't aegis wing developed by students in some contest?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 04, 2008, 04:34:47 PM

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out.  Wouldn't it be great if life was fair? smile  I'm just hoping (but not really expecting) it's a decent game and not another Yaris or Aegis Wing.

Hence why I said "expected" not "required."  Large companies with a lot of power often don't do the minimums that should be expected of good customer service.  MS dominates console online enough that they don't really have to do anything for compensation but that doesn't mean that it's "classy" of them when they do. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out.

Uh... Comcast does credit me when my cable is out.

gellar
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »

Sweet, I never bought Frogger.....  disgust
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 04, 2008, 04:53:14 PM

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out.

gellar

You are insanely fortunate then.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

gellar

Nice deal then.  I've never once been credited by a cable company when either my cable or internet is out, and it hasn't been for lack of bitching.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 05:06:37 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 04, 2008, 12:09:05 PM

I don't care about compensation.  Just fix the problem.

Ditto.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 04, 2008, 05:05:40 PM

gellar

Nice deal then.  I've never once been credited by a cable company when either my cable or internet is out, and it hasn't been for lack of bitching.

I'm not a Comcast user but I've usually never had trouble getting Cox, DirecTV, etc to credit me extended outages.  I do have to initiate it though- they don't exactly offer it up. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »

gellar

There are some tricks to help make it happen.  As soon as you have any problem, put in a call and make sure they note in the log that you're having trouble with your service.  If it fixes itself later in the day, great.  But if it lasts a few days, you have a record of the start-time and it's easier to get them to make good on the reimbursement with another call.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »

You know, since this is free game is a celebration instead of a compensation, I'll bet us freeloading Silver members are going to get it as well.

It's probably an upcoming title that they were planning to release for free even before the troubles.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out

umm...actually they do credit you if you bring it up yourself and complain.  at least Time Warner does

now maybe not if it's just like for a day or two, but I've had a couple instances where my service has been out for like a week or two.  and they gave me credit no problem.  as long as you immediately make an official call and scheduled repair time when it goes out
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 04, 2008, 05:10:24 PM

gellar

I'm not a Comcast user but I've usually never had trouble getting Cox, DirecTV, etc to credit me extended outages.  I do have to initiate it though- they don't exactly offer it up. 

yeah exactly

and you have to do it with some personality and PR-savvy...you can't just call in and scream and bitch like an asshole lunatic.  you gotta be social but firm...people skills
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »

very suprised that some of you are angry or dont want the fre arcade game...i myself was very pissed off at xbox live,and if they did compensate me...for 3-4 days problems...i would get ..about 40p(not even enough for a can of coke)...xbox live costs 40 a year,3.33 a month and 0.11 p a day...so them giving us a free game is very welcome......MS could of just said 'yeah its fixed now,sorry about that'...but this way they say they have had record numbers,but at least they have acknowledged that alot of us was having problems as well....because of the problems and now because of this announcement,me and microsoft are now even
 icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 04, 2008, 05:42:15 PM

very suprised that some of you are angry or dont want the fre arcade game...i myself was very pissed off at xbox live,and if they did compensate me...for 3-4 days problems...i would get ..about 40p(not even enough for a can of coke)...xbox live costs 40 a year,3.33 a month and 0.11 p a day..

Some day's gaming value is greater than others.

If I took a day off work to play World of Warcraft, without the wife nagging, and the servers were down so you couldn't play, that day is worth a lot more time missed out on than if you were home from work, wanted to get in a half hour of gaming and couldn't because the servers were down. Just sayin'.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 04, 2008, 05:11:42 PM

gellar

There are some tricks to help make it happen.  As soon as you have any problem, put in a call and make sure they note in the log that you're having trouble with your service.  If it fixes itself later in the day, great.  But if it lasts a few days, you have a record of the start-time and it's easier to get them to make good on the reimbursement with another call.

And then you can take your significant other out for an awesome night on the town with the dollar you got back.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 04, 2008, 05:36:49 PM

I think it's about as sensible to expect Microsoft to compensate you for Live troubles as it is for Comcast to credit me when my cable is out

umm...actually they do credit you if you bring it up yourself and complain.  at least Time Warner does

now maybe not if it's just like for a day or two, but I've had a couple instances where my service has been out for like a week or two.  and they gave me credit no problem.  as long as you immediately make an official call and scheduled repair time when it goes out

Yeah I've never had it go down for more than a day or so, but I've definitely had my internet turn to complete molasses for three or four days in a row and been told "No, we can't offer you any compensation for this."  Apparently it's still "usable" even when it takes five minutes to load a simple page.

Anyway, clearly I picked a bad example and derailed the thread smile  I still think you're tripping through Candyland if you expected Microsoft to do anything for you.  (Now everyone post about how they've actually been to Candyland and did indeed get some form of compensation there...)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2008, 07:14:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 04, 2008, 06:51:47 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 04, 2008, 05:11:42 PM

gellar

And then you can take your significant other out for an awesome night on the town with the dollar you got back.

Huh?  Five days service is about $8-10 for me, and I've got the most basic cable+internet plan you can get from Comcast.  I'm sure those 5 days are easily $15-20 for the more robust plans.  Isn't it worth a phone call or two to stop that money from going down the drain?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »

haha, they said 'some users' and 'intermittent issues.'

what a crock.  how about not being able to play any cod4 public matches for over a week.  and 'not completely offline' is like saying your car is not completely broken because the windows still roll down after it's totalled. 

i'll wait to see what they want to give us for compensation.  and yeah, if they give you a game you already paid for, they should credit you back the points.  not sure why they didn't do that before.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: