http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 02:16:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official November NPD Numbers - DS, Wii Lead, 360 Very Respectable  (Read 4775 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 04:07:29 PM

But is the 360 crowd willing to try new things?  I'm not convinced.  There were some promising signs early in it's life with better than expected sales for things like Chromehounds and Enchanted Arms but ever since software releases really picked it up it seems like the audience falls back onto the default dark and gritty shooter. There has been very little genre diversity so far.  Assassins Creed's insane success seems to be the closest to an anomaly but even that still has the whole "Assassin's are so badass!" thing going for it.

Crackdown wasn't really a word of mouth success either IMO.  It still suffered the typical massive second month dropoff that most games that aren't named Guitar Hero experience on the 360. That it turned out to be a really well liked game is great but I think that huge initial sales surge can be mostly laid at the feet of the Halo 3 beta.  Which was brilliant marketing on MS's part and really puts them in good shape for a very successful Crackdown sequel but it seems that MS has bungled that. 

I just think that no matter how you slice it, pinning your hopes on Long Tail sales is a depressing place to be.  If you worked on Uncharted and saw Assassin's Creed outsell you basically 10:1 on total units, you'd be pretty pissed.  By most accounts, Uncharted is at least as good a game, and I don't know about an "assassin badass" factor.  It's a brand-new IP in a setting that is extremely rare, not to mention a convoluted layer of genetic-memory backstory to confuse everyone.  Opening up to multi-platform development has a cost associated with it - more people, more equipment, more cross-platform headaches.  But I can't help but think the opportunity cost you're incurring by staying PS3-exclusive would be much, much bigger.  I think it's great that the PS3 increased sales big time, but they were still outsold by 300,000-odd units, a huge amount.  And every day, that gulf is growing bigger and bigger.  If I was working on Haze, I don't know if I would have fingers left from all the nail-biting I'd be doing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 14, 2007, 03:16:26 PM

It shows that PS3 owners aren't buying that much software right now

Once again - the PS3 is a cheap Blu-ray player that also happens to play games. If Blu-Ray fails anytime soon, the PS3 is utterly doomed. It's one of the reasons IMHO that the console continues to sell.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 05:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 03:49:26 PM

I think people are too quick to say "should have been on 360- it would have done great!"  There have been quite a few quality high profile games there that are under performing recently.  I doubt Namco is celebrating over Ace Combat 06's sales, PGR4 completely and utterly bombed, Virtua Fighter 5 did poorly, and Orange Box is doing pretty awful as well.

Those are all bad examples in many ways.

Ace 06 is popular in Japan, its not a big series over here.
PGR 4 was dumped my MS for some reason. They released it like a week after Halo with zero marketing, maybe they don't care anymore since Bizarre was leaving.
VF 5..so what fighitng games are frankly a niche genre these days outside maybe Soul Caliber, they just arn't what they used to be.
Orange Box...isn't a bomb its just not a huge success on the 360. The core audience for HL stuff is still on the PC and thats were everybody I know got it on.

Plenty of not maybe that great games have still done well on the 360 like Lost Planet and Dead Rising among many others. The fact is 360 gamers simply buy more games and I don't mean just because of a higher install base. Even taking into account the PS3's lower install numbers games sales just plain suck for the system. For whatever reason the PS3 is just a dead system for game buyers. I don't know what but its whats happening right now at least.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 05:53:37 PM »

I think Kevin's right though... the majority of the console market is generally focused on shooters, racers, and sports games.  Marketing plays a huge part as well.  I think what we've seen this gen in particular is that people will buy what they see a lot of on TV.  Hype is where it's at.  All of the big sellers have had massive ad campaigns.  R&C and Uncharted just didn't... for some reason.

gellar
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »

Uncharted I might agree with you, but I see Ratchet and Clank commercials all the time on TV.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 03:39:02 AM

Fun fact- CoD 3 did 330k last year.  I expect Activision is considering if it's at all feasible to ditch the WW2 setting of CoD 5 (I doubt it). 

They can't.  Treyarch is too far into development of CoD5 to switch now...they're using the CoD3 engine, and Activision wants a CoD game every year.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 14, 2007, 05:58:36 PM

Uncharted I might agree with you, but I see Ratchet and Clank commercials all the time on TV.

You know that's funny, I only see the Uncharted commercials.  I don't remember ever seeing a R&C one.  Regardless, that's quite a bit different than the full on press that titles like AssCreed and COD4 did.  Mass Effect seemed to be the only one that did great despite not being seen EVERYFUCKINGWHERE I LOOKED.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 14, 2007, 06:09:01 PM

You know that's funny, I only see the Uncharted commercials.  I don't remember ever seeing a R&C one.  Regardless, that's quite a bit different than the full on press that titles like AssCreed and COD4 did.  Mass Effect seemed to be the only one that did great despite not being seen EVERYFUCKINGWHERE I LOOKED.

gellar

Are you referring gaming sites/magazines or mass media outlets?  Because I haven't seen many commercials or ads for individual games at all.  I've seen alot of PS3 commercials and one or two for Ratchet and Clank.  But that's it.  I have never seen an Assasins Creed or Uncarted ad outside of a gaming related web site.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 06:17:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 04:36:46 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on December 14, 2007, 04:32:49 PM

I know I would have bought the new Ratchet & Clank in a heartbeat if it were available for the X360.

But you bought Advent Rising and Bulletwitch so I think it's safe to say you aren't representative of most of the Xbox demographic icon_wink

And everyday I'm thankful I'm not.  I get to enjoy more games that way.

KePoW - your lost, not mine.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29154/Japan-PS3-beats-Wii-in-November
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 14, 2007, 06:15:18 PM

gellar

Are you referring gaming sites/magazines or mass media outlets?  Because I haven't seen many commercials or ads for individual games at all.  I've seen alot of PS3 commercials and one or two for Ratchet and Clank.  But that's it.  I have never seen an Assasins Creed or Uncarted ad outside of a gaming related web site.

Television mostly.  AssCreed was all over the fucking place.  They even sponsored specific UFC fighters during one of the Pay Per Views.  It was pretty comedic.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on December 14, 2007, 05:38:55 PM

Those are all bad examples in many ways.

Ace 06 is popular in Japan, its not a big series over here.
PGR 4 was dumped my MS for some reason. They released it like a week after Halo with zero marketing, maybe they don't care anymore since Bizarre was leaving.
VF 5..so what fighitng games are frankly a niche genre these days outside maybe Soul Caliber, they just arn't what they used to be.
Orange Box...isn't a bomb its just not a huge success on the 360. The core audience for HL stuff is still on the PC and thats were everybody I know got it on.

Plenty of not maybe that great games have still done well on the 360 like Lost Planet and Dead Rising among many others. The fact is 360 gamers simply buy more games and I don't mean just because of a higher install base. Even taking into account the PS3's lower install numbers games sales just plain suck for the system. For whatever reason the PS3 is just a dead system for game buyers. I don't know what but its whats happening right now at least.

That's my point though- they are for the most part examples of games that are more diverse than the typical shooter as well as being parts of long running series and they generally failed.  Orange Box is kind of separate but equally  interesting to me because it fits perfectly in the X360 demographic and failed (and yes, I consider 200k it's debut month and not charting in November to be a bomb for this type of game).  I don't think the PC thing holds much weight- we're seeing other series that were previously predominantly focused on PC transition to consoles much more successfully.

As to your other examples- Dead Rising was almost a year and a half ago which, as I pointed out in my post, was a time where the 360 user base seemed more open to diverse entertainment. Lost Planet is a shooter so it fits squarely in the traditional demographic. 

I agree that 360 users buy more software (duh, it's a fact) but what I'm saying is that I don't think it's proven that it's a very diverse userbase. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2007, 06:23:07 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on December 14, 2007, 06:19:03 PM

I think this is a short-lived reaction to the price cut.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 06:28:26 PM »

Quote from: kathode
It's a brand-new IP in a setting that is extremely rare, not to mention a convoluted layer of genetic-memory backstory to confuse everyone.

Probably a good thing that Ubi hid the backstory in the marketing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 06:29:23 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on December 14, 2007, 06:06:00 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 03:39:02 AM

Fun fact- CoD 3 did 330k last year.  I expect Activision is considering if it's at all feasible to ditch the WW2 setting of CoD 5 (I doubt it). 

They can't.  Treyarch is too far into development of CoD5 to switch now...they're using the CoD3 engine, and Activision wants a CoD game every year.

it wouldn't be the first time a developer has scrapped most of the work, and if they are using the same engine they've got time to come up with new art assets and stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 06:30:15 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2007, 06:23:07 PM

plus the PS3 is more readily available  icon_wink

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 06:20:28 PM

Orange Box is kind of separate but equally  interesting to me because it fits perfectly in the X360 demographic and failed (and yes, I consider 200k it's debut month and not charting in November to be a bomb for this type of game).  I don't think the PC thing holds much weight- we're seeing other series that were previously predominantly focused on PC transition to consoles much more successfully.
Yeah, but come on, ~50% of the content had been available for upwards of 3 years, Team Fortress was clearly hobbled on the 360, and Episode 2/Portal is not exactly competing with Gears for the hearts and eyes of 360 graphics whores out there smile  I just don't think that's the best example.  It just seems like dark, shiny shooters and Nintendo games are basically the two things people really want, so you end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Every once in a while you get a Dead Rising, you get an Assassin's Creed that breaks the mold, but I don't think anyone would've put down money on Ace Combat pulling in big numbers.

BTW, regarding the Call of Duty thing, I know that Activision considered CoD3 a success.  It was basically an 11-month project at the time. So I doubt they're worried about WW2, although with CoD4's success, the bar is going to be a lot higher for Treyarch.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »

I'm caring less and less about Japan's numbers as less and less of the games I play come from that region. Power to the Westerners!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2007, 09:18:18 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 14, 2007, 09:00:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 06:20:28 PM

Orange Box is kind of separate but equally  interesting to me because it fits perfectly in the X360 demographic and failed (and yes, I consider 200k it's debut month and not charting in November to be a bomb for this type of game).  I don't think the PC thing holds much weight- we're seeing other series that were previously predominantly focused on PC transition to consoles much more successfully.
Yeah, but come on, ~50% of the content had been available for upwards of 3 years, Team Fortress was clearly hobbled on the 360, and Episode 2/Portal is not exactly competing with Gears for the hearts and eyes of 360 graphics whores out there smile  I just don't think that's the best example.  It just seems like dark, shiny shooters and Nintendo games are basically the two things people really want, so you end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Every once in a while you get a Dead Rising, you get an Assassin's Creed that breaks the mold, but I don't think anyone would've put down money on Ace Combat pulling in big numbers.

Uh, yeah, so I guess you agree with me then? 

Re: Orange Box- I doubt that the issues with TF2 hurt it's numbers.  First month game sales are pretty much driven by marketing and to a much lesser extent reviews.  Buzz was awesome on TF2 before release and 360 reviews were full of praise for TF2.  It wasn't until after the game was  out that people started saying "uh, the internet code is kind of borked."

Yes, HL2 and Ep 1 had been out but how big is the overlap between PC gamers and console gamers?  If it's a lot then PC gaming is well and truly doomed.  If it's different markets then it doesn't matter because nearly as much considering that the Xbox 1 port of HL2 was poorly received both critically and commercially so HL2 and Ep 1 were potentially "new" experiences to the vast majority of the userbase. 

But if you want to discount HL2 and focus on Portal and TF2 then I think it only strengthens my original point- the artstyle and, in the case of Portal the gameplay, aren't appealing to most of the console's audience. 

Every once in a while you get a Dead Rising, you get an Assassin's Creed that breaks the mold, but I don't think anyone would've put down money on Ace Combat pulling in big numbers.

I'm not talking big numbers, I'm just talking about healthy.  360 right now seems like feast or famine.  Either you are selected by the "group" and get an easy half million sales first month or you are completely ignored.  I've mentioned this ad nauseum in previous NPD threads but I think it's an unavoidable side effect of the social networking built into these consoles. It may make the big games bigger but I worry that it will crowd out diversity.  People keep saying "oh, well that's a popular Japanese franchise so of course it didn't do well here" but in the case of both Virtua Fighter and Ace Combat they used to do well in America too  (AC04 did nearly 2 million in America alone).   Heck, I question whether the additional eight months of dev time on VF5 was even justified by the 360 sales. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »

PGR4 came out at a time when we had an abundance of racers to choose from or look forward to. I mean fucking A: Dirt, Forza, Sega Rally, NFS: Pro Street, and I probably missed some. PGR4 had almost no marketing, it was bound to fail.

Orange Box shmorange box, as Kathode said most of that content was recycled, no one gives a rats ass about Team Fortress anymore, it should have came out 5 years ago. And we're left with what, an Episode that lasts 3-4 hours and a mini-game thrown in for good measure? Please, Valve should be thankful they moved as many copies of Orange Box as they did. Lets not even mention the fact that Halo 3 and CoD4 came out around the same time.

As far as Ace Combat and Virtua Fighter, I know each of the series found success on the PS2 but they have no mass-market appeal. Without a platform with a large install base there was no way they were going to sell high.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »

I think Orange Box's biggest problem is it's name.  Alot of people don't know exactly what it is.  And many that do bought it for the PC via steam.  If they had just called it Half Life and put a picture of the Heavy Weapons guy on the cover the 360 crowd would have eaten it up IMO.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 14, 2007, 09:19:38 PM

PGR4 came out at a time when we had an abundance of racers to choose from or look forward to. I mean fucking A: Dirt, Forza, Sega Rally, NFS: Pro Street, and I probably missed some. PGR4 had almost no marketing, it was bound to fail.

Of those games only Forza saw decent success in NA and that was in May.  The market is wide open right now for a successful racing game but it hasn't appeared.  Maybe Burnout will change that in January. 

As far as Ace Combat and Virtua Fighter, I know each of the series found success on the PS2 but they have no mass-market appeal. Without a platform with a large install base there was no way they were going to sell high.

Re-read my post.  I'm not necessarilly talking about mass market- just healthy sales which their previous entries managed in North America. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 14, 2007, 09:23:45 PM

I think Orange Box's biggest problem is it's name.  Alot of people don't know exactly what it is.  And many that do bought it for the PC via steam.  If they had just called it Half Life and put a picture of the Heavy Weapons guy on the cover the 360 crowd would have eaten it up IMO.

I'd definitely agree with that.  Poorly chosen by Valve.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 14, 2007, 04:43:22 PM

And pretty good numbers for the PS3 as well.  With its now competitive pricing (at least more competitive than being $600   icon_biggrin) and growing list of quality gaming titles (I have eight PS3 games - currently have four 360 and two Wii... what can I say?  I trade in far too many games...), I'm hoping sales and userbase start to grow.  I think it could, as long as people who accumulated so much anger and hate towards Sony when the PS3 first launched take a step back and evaluate the PS3 as a game machine / blu-ray player / multimedia system.

I despised the whole PSP thing when it launched for a whole slew of reasons, and with a lack of games that interested me, I just had no interest in it. And the graphics/tech-whore fanbase made me want the system to fail. icon_wink

However, in the past year, and some truly awesome games that appeal to me have finally arrived, and with the price drop and new hardware revision (the psp-2000) showing that Sony's taking concerns seriously and has revamped the system nicely, I now find myself definitely planning to grab a PSP (though I'm actually not picky about whether it's the Slim or the old-style).

The PS3 is a Fail-box for me right now, but that doesn't mean that I would never reconsider in the future. But just like the PSP, it'll take a lot to sway me at this point.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

gellar
I have seen the R&C one like twice, the Uncharted one (which I think is an excellent commercial and does a great job of demonstrating the game's humor) I have seen maybe 10 times. Total. Thats it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »

Commercials?  What are they?  Do you guys not have Tivo or DVRs? icon_wink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2007, 10:23:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 09:50:54 PM

"
Heh, when I am playing games on PC and just have the TV on in the background-still, Uncharted was the only PS3 game other HS recently to get any decent advertising-and it still just wasn't enough.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »

it's those brief flashes of images when you're fast forwarding between the important stuff.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2007, 11:50:08 PM »

I never see commercials as I never watch TV (short of the TV I 'watch' when I'm playing my consoles). Makes it really easy to avoid them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2007, 01:38:36 AM »

Does anyone else find it kind of funny in an ironic fashion that Nintendo is losing money because they can't make enough Wii's this year, while Sony is probably losing at least the cost of a Wii on every PlayStation 3 sold?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2007, 01:42:22 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 09:18:18 PM

Yes, HL2 and Ep 1 had been out but how big is the overlap between PC gamers and console gamers?  If it's a lot then PC gaming is well and truly doomed.  If it's different markets then it doesn't matter because nearly as much considering that the Xbox 1 port of HL2 was poorly received both critically and commercially so HL2 and Ep 1 were potentially "new" experiences to the vast majority of the userbase. 

The overlap between PC and 360 gamers? I think its fairly common. How that makes PC gaming doomed by The Orange Box's performance on the 360 is well I have no idea and I'm not going to bother thinking how it means that.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2007, 01:50:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 06:30:15 PM

Actually it's quite easy to get a Wii in Japan nowadays.  I mean according to that article they only sold 180k in November (as opposed to something like 1 million in America) so they're not really hard to find.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2007, 02:43:59 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 15, 2007, 01:50:37 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 06:30:15 PM

Actually it's quite easy to get a Wii in Japan nowadays.  I mean according to that article they only sold 180k in November (as opposed to something like 1 million in America) so they're not really hard to find.

they need to ship those over here then.

Because I can,
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 03:35:45 AM »

while Sony is probably losing at least the cost of a Wii on every PlayStation 3 sold?
well Sony is trying to set and own the next video standard- BluRay so at least there is some sense behind the loss leader in PS3.

I am starting to wonder what the Microsoft loss leader Xbox is trying to do.  Microsoft has lost over 6 BILLION dollars so far with the xbox and xbox360.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:40:01 AM by TC Weidner » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 04:01:36 AM »

It's nice to have billions to through around.

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2007, 05:19:06 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on December 15, 2007, 03:35:45 AM

I am starting to wonder what the Microsoft loss leader Xbox is trying to do.  Microsoft has lost over 6 BILLION dollars so far with the xbox and xbox360.

If I would have told you two weeks before the Xbox came out that within 5 years Microsoft's lead console would be doubling Sony's lead console in sales every month, would you have believed it?  I wouldn't have.  They have taken huge amounts of Sony's market share in 5 years.  That's what they are trying to do. (And succeeding.)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »

are these console numbers AFTER the PS3 had its BIG price cut?...that was October wasnt it...so those PS3 figures i think should of been much higher..i'm suprised it came last anyway

COD4 selling 1.1 Meeellllioon more than the PS3 version is not suprising for me.....online is where its at for this game and i have never got used to having the playstation online,i just cant get into the games online('get into' meaning....get interested..)..and the PS3 controller is a piece of Fisher Price crap paranoid

i am suprised that mario didnt sell more,i thought everyone who had a Wii would be getting that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 15, 2007, 02:43:32 PM

COD4 selling 1.1 Meeellllioon more than the PS3 version is not suprising for me.....online is where its at for this game and i have never got used to having the playstation online,i just cant get into the games online('get into' meaning....get interested..)..and the PS3 controller is a piece of Fisher Price crap paranoid

You know I am not at all surprised about this either. While it was obvious that 360 would sell more copies with the emphasis on shooters on the console, the massively larger install base, etc-I think the Xbox Live ease of play and headset/communication made a huge difference and is going to continue to be a major difference maker for games that have large online compliments. I think XBox Live is starting to have the kind of recognition that MS has wanted all this time and is slowly starting to become the sort of widespread cultural thing that Wii has already achieved. I think its entirely possible that multiplatform multiplayer titles will never, regardless of PS3 sales in the future, sell as many copies as on the 360. For me, everything about that system works better, faster, smoother, and thank god has a headset that works out of the box.

Who knows what Home will do though-my guess is very little, but you never know.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »

Actually, I think someone on GAF ran the numbers and the tie ratio for both ColD4 and AC are almost identical on both PS3 and 360. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 15, 2007, 10:02:56 PM

Actually, I think someone on GAF ran the numbers and the tie ratio for both ColD4 and AC are almost identical on both PS3 and 360. 

Yeah, I saw that, but thats really not what I am getting at-what I am talking about is what I think that continued multiplayer focus in games is going to do to multiplatform sales. I think XBox live is going to start to become a hugely important and determining factor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: