http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 03:26:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Half-Life 2 Time of Release!!!  (Read 2773 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2004, 05:32:19 AM »

WOOOTTTTWHEEEEE
http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169690
I am EDT, so the official time of release or unlock if you will...3AM on the 16th!!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »

Well, I'm EDT too, and I'll be in bed, but it's nice to know I'll be able to wake up on the 16th, and start playing (I'm off that day). Assuming of course, that Steam doesn't get overloaded and shut down.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 06:13:36 AM »

I have class all day the 16th, and I can't skip as I am holding my last absences for the 23rd for WoW-so I guess I won't be playing till the evening.

BLEEE
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 10:13:04 PM »

Off on the 16th.  Oh, bliss.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 10:31:55 PM »

Man, part of my reason for going with Steam was so that I'd be able to play it before I had to go in to work on the 16th and start selling it.  One of the most annoying parts of working in a game store is having to spend the entire day selling the games you want to play to other people while you can't play them.  

Even better is when they come in and ask, "So, how is it?"  How the hell would I know?  I'm busy selling you your copy so you can go home and play it!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 11:08:53 PM »

Jesus.

This, World of Warcraft, and Vampire: Bloodlines all in the span of a week and a half.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 02:52:22 AM »

So that means stores (at least on the East Coast, and Central) can't do midnight sales like they are for Halo 2

That is dumb.  I wonder what marketing genius came up with that idea?  "huge release...lets make it hard to build hype and get people buying..."

Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 03:36:34 AM »

I don't think releasing it 3 hours earlier is going to make any difference.  The people that actually line up for a midnight sale are the people that are so hardcore, they're going to get it anyways.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 03:53:38 AM »

If the EB I preordered at does the midnight deal I'll be there at Midnight and up all night playing it.  I'll just have to skip my Wednesday classes.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 05:58:09 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Man, part of my reason for going with Steam was so that I'd be able to play it before I had to go in to work on the 16th and start selling it.  One of the most annoying parts of working in a game store is having to spend the entire day selling the games you want to play to other people while you can't play them.  

Even better is when they come in and ask, "So, how is it?"  How the hell would I know?  I'm busy selling you your copy so you can go home and play it!

Do I sense some pent up hostility here??

Snicker  biggrin

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 01:28:21 PM »

Quote from: "Valael"
I don't think releasing it 3 hours earlier is going to make any difference.  The people that actually line up for a midnight sale are the people that are so hardcore, they're going to get it anyways.

I guess I assume that marketing has some clue on how to generate more sales, they might actually be able to show that having these midnight sales works....

Unless you just assume that every store that does a midnight maddness sale is stupid.  They do it for music, games, and movies so I believe by now they would have data to show if it is profitable.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 02:10:45 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"

Snicker  biggrin

Just because we serve you doesn't mean we like you.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 06:43:47 PM »

The official time of release is: NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 08:37:47 PM »

Snicker  biggrin

This job would be great if it wasn't for the fucking customers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 05:32:38 PM »

The official time of release is: NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

I think they should delay it a couple of weeks so there's not so much competition  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 07:20:35 PM »

Snicker  biggrin

Lewl... I'm going to put that on my office door
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 07:39:46 PM »

I can't wait.  Hopefully there will be no issues with steam...

THANKS ATI!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 12:02:41 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
So that means stores (at least on the East Coast, and Central) can't do midnight sales like they are for Halo 2

That is dumb.  I wonder what marketing genius came up with that idea?  "huge release...lets make it hard to build hype and get people buying..."

I'd be shocked to see anyone even want to do midnight openings for Half-Life 2.  It may be the biggest PC game of the year, but it doesn't compare to Halo 2's pre-order numbers.  I manage a game store - we had over 600 Halo 2 pre-order's and have about 30 Half-Life 2 pre-orders.  A midnight opening doesn't make sense.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 09:46:08 PM »

It'll be interesting to see what the steam presale numbers ended up being.  I think people underestimate the number of copies sold that way.  When you think about the current active install base of Counterstrike being a possible audience, that's an insane number of people.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 12:28:39 PM »

"It'll be interesting to see what the steam presale numbers ended up being. I think people underestimate the number of copies sold that way."

I would too. What those numbers might not show is the amount of money that goes directly to Valve  and how that impacts their overall revenue.  If many people, like myself, bought the game through Steam....they are going to be rolling in money smile.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 02:01:08 PM »

And they basically used the proceeds from HL1 to fund development of HL2.  So I hope they make another bajillion dollars to fun HL3.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 03:46:24 PM »

Valve put out a press release recently stating there had been something like 2 million preloads via steam.  Doesn't mean everyone will buy it that way- preloading is free and I imagine quite a few people went ahead and did on the off chance that they can get it via Steam prior to retail.  Still, very impressive and could end up being 2 million lost sales for VU.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 11:52:54 PM »

The Steam forums just went down.  Prior to that an admin confirmed that an update was being sent out.

Come on......unlock HL2!!!!! biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 12:16:08 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
The Steam forums just went down.  Prior to that an admin confirmed that an update was being sent out.

Come on......unlock HL2!!!!! biggrin

Hmmm. Interesting....
The forums couldn't handle the excitement and are taking a little breather. See www.steampowered.com for news. Thanks!

That would be very nice to unlock it tonight.  Please?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 01:27:10 AM »

I wouldn't hold your breath frown

Half-Life 2 For Sale?
November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm ยท valve
If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=news
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 03:08:08 AM »

Props to Samurai over at the Octopus forum:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: