http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:01:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 74461 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: June 17, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »

I'm still loving it, maybe a little more than half way through.  Little repetitive, but there's enough variety to keep me going.  And I find I'm doing the thing that I promised myself I wouldnt do this time and that has kept me from ever completing a GTA game in the past - getting caught up in the side missions and ignoring the main story.

Btw, I'm loving the Stevie car theft missions.  There's something satisfying about finding the car from the description and the (shitty low res) picture.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 30, 2008, 08:47:25 PM »

So they just added the "Millionaire's Club" to the web site - you become a member by accumulating over $1 million during the course of playing the game, and the faster you did it, the higher on the list you are. You don't have to have it all at once - anything you gain at any time counts toward the total.  Turns out I gathered up over $1.3 million when I played.  The section has some little easter eggs, but nothing major.  The also have multiplayer stats working, although I'm not sure if they started working at an earlier date.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 30, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »

I have finally taken a break from this. I assume I am a long way from finishing this. My only active quests are the Dwayne kill the Stripclub bosses which I have been unable to finish after numerous tries and the first Packie (is that his name?) mission which I have only tried a couple of times and failed.

Honestly, the past several weeks I have spent all of my GTA time riding up and down one of the big main streets smashing up cars trying to set off chain reactions of explosions! Now, that is fun! Nothing like seeing a series of 15 cars blowing up and watching all the flaming bodies go flying all around you! (Yes, I need help.) I also enjoyed listening to the 3 talk radio stations while doing this, and now find myself wishing there was more content to them.

Still a great game, but I am not sure if I will ever finish it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 03, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »

so

did anyone else just get 500 MS points sent to them?

microsoft said it had something to do with GTA4...sell-in or  something(can't remember what exactly it said)

they said sorry for the inconvenience.......?....er..okay..500 points i'll take...not got a clue what they were going on about though

EDIT:i just been on xbox.com

seems as though when people bought the game they got a card with 500points on it,when they entered the code,it gave them 500 points

however,some people it didnt work,so now MS are crediting the accounts it didnt work with

the thing is....when i entered the code when i got the game,it worked fine and i got my 500 points,same with the guy who created the thread on xbox.com

so,er,thanks MS icon_biggrin...two lots of 500points
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:06:32 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 06, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 03, 2008, 02:01:41 AM

so

did anyone else just get 500 MS points sent to them?

microsoft said it had something to do with GTA4...sell-in or  something(can't remember what exactly it said)

they said sorry for the inconvenience.......?....er..okay..500 points i'll take...not got a clue what they were going on about though

EDIT:i just been on xbox.com

seems as though when people bought the game they got a card with 500points on it,when they entered the code,it gave them 500 points

however,some people it didnt work,so now MS are crediting the accounts it didnt work with

the thing is....when i entered the code when i got the game,it worked fine and i got my 500 points,same with the guy who created the thread on xbox.com

so,er,thanks MS icon_biggrin...two lots of 500points

so...the game came with a card with 500 points?  i thought it just had a live card.  in any case, i'll check my points balance when i get home.  free is always good.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 06, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »

LOL,nice Avatar,made me chuckle icon_biggrin

GTA4 is now PC bound in November...and the 360 DLC HAS been delayed to the beginning of next year(financial year or not...its January its out)

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 31, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »

After finishing Tomb Raider: Legend, TR: Anniversary, Lego Star Wars, and Spiderman: Web of Shadows, I decided I was still in the mood for some open-world meandering and went to pop in...Saints Row 2.  Then I suddenly remembered that I'd started a game of Grand Theft Auto IV way back when it was first released, and even though I was having a great time with it, had inexplicably stopped playing.

It's an example of a very strange phenomenon in my gaming habits.  Every once in a while I'll be in the middle of playing a game that I'm really enjoying, and then I'll just...stop.  Dead.  For absolutely no reason.  I'm not bored or burned out or distracted by something better; it's like I turn it off one day and simply forget to go back for months at a time.  System Shock 2, Icewind Dale, Company of Heroes, and Eternal Darkness have, at various points, all fallen victim to the same effect.  Maybe I just have some sort of subconscious aversion to completing great games because, once they're over, they're over. icon_cry

Anyways, I jumped back into Liberty City and picked up the plot where I'd left off:
Spoiler for Hiden:
just after Niko and Roman's first apartment was firebombed by Vladimir, they moved into a new place on the small northern island, and Niko discovered that Michelle was actually a government agent. 

Ouch.  Act 1 closes with a lot of betrayal, and I think the best compliment I can give the game's writing is that it actually made me angry.  I'd worked hard and held up my end of the bargain, and in the end I was screwed so badly by everybody that I honestly thought the next event would be Roman selling me out to settle his gambling debts.  I think the very first call I got when I resumed playing was from Mallorie telling me that Roman was missing, and I took Niko into that rescue mission convinced that it was a big set up....

I *loved* the writing in GTA 4.  A good plot can catch your interest and make you interested in what happens next, but it's a short list of games that have ever provoked such an emotional investment in the outcome.  I wasn't just curious about the outcome; I wanted to make the Bad Guys *pay* for what they'd done. mad  It's true that the characters are individually little more than exaggerated archetypes, but the blend of wry dialogue, elaborate staging, and *spectacular* voice acting makes them feel surprisingly authentic.

I'm also amazed at the sheer quantity of writing there is.  Go on a mission and listen to a conversation between your passengers, then repeat the mission and get a completely different one.  I went on outings with some of the characters over a dozen times, every one of them featured some sort of back-and-forth with Niko, and I don't think I ever heard the same one twice.  There are narrated helicopter tours of Liberty City, radio news reports of your latest exploits, random pedestrians to meet...even Roman's disgruntled cab driver has three or four separate curses he'll spit over his shoulder before he screeches off.  Rockstar's attention to detail here seriously goes above and beyond any other game I've played.

All the complaints about GTA 4's "dating sim" elements are really surprising to me.  Maybe this was dramatically changed in some post-release update, but didn't two or three trips out on the town build a relationship up near maximum and keep it there for a long, long time?  Turning down a friend request would only drop the relationship by a couple percentage points, so even if you deliberately avoided someone for weeks, you could make things right again with a single 5-minute trip to Cluckin' Bell.  Overall, I found that working the system offered some pretty awesome benefits in exchange for a bare minimum of effort, and all the personalities it revealed added a lot to the game's atmosphere.

(The only exception to the "awesome benefits" rule was Carmen whose special ability worked exactly one time and then never again.  Some people have claimed that she won't help you if you're on a mission, but it's worse than that...I think she's just badly bugged.  Kiki, by contrast, was a real life saver thumbsup)

Ironically, I think GTA 4's success in crafting such a realistic backdrop is where the game starts to fall apart for people.  It's like the environment takes a tumble into the uncanny valley: nobody cares about the inability to enter random shops when they're all just generic storefronts, but when every property on every street is so meticulously detailed on the outside, it's a lot more jarring that it's just a well-dressed impenetrable cube.

I played Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas on the PC because I just couldn't get a handle on the console controls, but I found GTA 4 extremely intuitive.  The lock-on and cover systems work extremely well, turning combat from a frantic spray of automatic fire to a slower and much more manageable tactical affair.  There were only a small handful of times where I died, and it was usually because I got careless and tried to rush ahead too soon.  Even so, the times when I was killed in the middle of some elaborate mission, the need to start over from scratch due to the senseless lack of checkpoints made it more discouraging than was necessary.

The biggest drawback to GTA 4's gameplay is that the extra-curricular stuff has very little sense of accomplishment or progression.  In Saints Row, collecting packages would unlock free weaponry and completing Activities would unlock more challenging variants.  Liberty City has things to do like play pool, go bowling, or compete in street races, but they're each so rudimentary that you don't even get the satisfaction of defeating a competent AI, much less any meaningful reward.  I guess earning unlimited free body armor for completing assassination missions wouldn't make much sense in the hyper-realistic context that GTA 4 is striving for, but it sure would have made all that driving around seem a lot more appealing.

If Rockstar could find a way to supplement their sense of narrative and level of detail with a greater variety of activities and a less stingy reward system that made them worth pursuing, I think people would enjoy the balance a lot more.

Regardless, I think GTA 4 is an incredible accomplishment, and I enjoyed the core gameplay -- the driving, the shootouts, and the story that wove them together -- tremendously.  I really took my time going through it, too, so someday I'll go back and try to get that Achievement for beating the story in less than 30-hours....

Big thumbsup from me!

-Autistic Angel
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 31, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 31, 2009, 10:59:39 PM

It's an example of a very strange phenomenon in my gaming habits.  Every once in a while I'll be in the middle of playing a game that I'm really enjoying, and then I'll just...stop.  Dead.  For absolutely no reason.  I'm not bored or burned out or distracted by something better; it's like I turn it off one day and simply forget to go back for months at a time.  System Shock 2, Icewind Dale, Company of Heroes, and Eternal Darkness have, at various points, all fallen victim to the same effect.  Maybe I just have some sort of subconscious aversion to completing great games because, once they're over, they're over. icon_cry

Funny, I have the same affliction.  I almost always load up the new hotnezz, play the hell out of it, and then all of a sudden I just stop playing.  Sometimes I get a little bored with the gameplay, sometimes a new release distracts me from my existing backlog, and sometimes I just never get around to playing again.  I also find that problems in a game become more glaring when I have to decide what I am in the mood to play.  I'll pick up GTAIV and then remember that I died a number of times and never successfully completed my last attempted mission and I find I'm not really in the mood to be frustrated.  Then I'll grab Bioshock and think about the backtracking and uber-strong Big Daddies.  I'll pick up Forza 2 and realize that I already won all of the cars I was interested in and now all that's left is playing for completion and winning cars I don't really care about.  I'll then pick up the box for Fable 2 but be discouraged about the time commitment.  I'll eye the case for Gears of War 2, but I'm not in the mood for mindless firefights.  I'll think about Fallout 3, but that's another major time commitment.  I consider playing Far Cry 2, but it has been a slow start and I don't have the patience at the moment to trudge through a drawn-out and slow beginning.

Next thing I know I'm turning off my Xbox because I can't find something I am in the mood to play despite having a backlog of 20+ games.  Every game just has something that I'm not in the mood to deal with.  Once I get past this and start playing usually I'll have a blast, but if I can't bring myself to look past specific faults then inevitably I just turn off my Xbox.

Then I'll turn on my Fireball and browse my collection of 500+ movies.  I'll go through my entire collection, sometimes never finding a title that compells me to watch.  bBck to turning on the TV.  But, no television shows are on and reality TV is an unwelcomed option.  Friends are all busy so playing pool is out.  The Food Network is always my default for when I can't find something I want to play, watch, or do.

Perhaps my fickle attitude toward entertainment is what has led to be being such a good cook.  I watch a lot of Food Network, especially when I can't find a game to play or a movie to watch.

I really look forward to getting back into GTAIV.  I am right about where you left off (funny that we both stepped away at about the same point in the game), and at times I almost feel compelled to pick it up again.  But then I take a mission rife with gun battles and if I die mid-mission I become too discouraged to continue due to the lack of any checkpoint system.  I don't have it in me to start a 30 to 40-minute mission all over again.

Regardless, I think GTA 4 is an incredible accomplishment, and I enjoyed the core gameplay -- the driving, the shootouts, and the story that wove them together -- tremendously.  I really took my time going through it, too, so someday I'll go back and try to get that Achievement for beating the story in less than 30-hours....

Big thumbsup from me!

-Autistic Angel

So, do you recall the final time tally when you finished the game?  If beating the story in less than 30-hours is an achievement, how long does it take the common gamer to complete the story (including a healthy dose of side missions as well).  I have a number of games with huge time commitments (GTAIV, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3), and I always wonder just how bad any particular time commitment might be. 

Thanks for the write-up.  It was fun to read, presented well, and it rekindled my interest in GTAIV again.  But, I just started Far Cry 2 and I'd hate to be distracted from it so soon.  I'm like a bird and every new game is the equivalent of something shiny.  Ooh, something shiny.  Wait, something else shiny.  Oooh, something shiny.  Etc.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 31, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »

I too suffer from this affliction, if you want to call it that. I am further along in GTA 4 than you two, but have Bioshock, SR2, and countless other games that I don't even remember not finishing. I always think about going back to them, but find the idea of getting back into it would take too long.

I find that games like Skate 2 work great for me because I can jump in, roll around doing anything (usually looking for a spectacular jump and the resulting wipeout) or I can continue the career taking on the specific challenges. Another game that fit me well was Dead Rising, but I am not exactly sure why because of the crappy time limit of it all. I think I just jumped in to kill a bunch of zombies and didn't save.  saywhat

LiveTAG: happydog
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 01, 2009, 12:48:23 AM »

Me, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 01, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 31, 2009, 11:24:24 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 31, 2009, 10:59:39 PM

Funny, I have the same affliction.  I almost always load up the new hotnezz, play the hell out of it, and then all of a sudden I just stop playing.  Sometimes I get a little bored with the gameplay, sometimes a new release distracts me from my existing backlog, and sometimes I just never get around to playing again.

I know what you mean about certain games requiring a big time commitment to make progress.  I don't like leaving something half finished, so if I'm going to start something like a dungeon in Zelda or a job in FarCry 2, I want to ensure that I'll have enough time to complete the whole thing in a single sitting.  Otherwise, it's too easy to forget something critical between sessions.

That's another reason why the dating elements of GTA 4 didn't bother me at all: anytime I lacked the time or energy to take on one of the elaborate story missions, I could always log in long enough to take a friend out for a quick game of darts.  The Assassination and Manhunt missions were also good for a quick diversion because they embraced the best elements of the gun combat and driving, even if the payoff for completion was pretty anti-climactic.

I really look forward to getting back into GTAIV.  I am right about where you left off (funny that we both stepped away at about the same point in the game), and at times I almost feel compelled to pick it up again.  But then I take a mission rife with gun battles and if I die mid-mission I become too discouraged to continue due to the lack of any checkpoint system.  I don't have it in me to start a 30 to 40-minute mission all over again.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed the missions, the setback for failure is rather extreme.  I guess I can understand why the developers would want you to replay the action sequences from the start, but the only reason to make players repeat the entire five minute drive just to reach the action is to be punitive.

Once you get comfortable with the meta-aiming available in lock-on mode, you'll find that Niko can line up a nearly instantaneous headshot against enemies who reveal so much as the sleeve of their jacket.  I found that by taking my time to pick off each thug from range, keeping my weapon drawn and my sight up even after I thought an area was cleared, and keeping a sharp eye out for stray health packs or body armor, I was able to pass most missions on my first try.

So, do you recall the final time tally when you finished the game?  If beating the story in less than 30-hours is an achievement, how long does it take the common gamer to complete the story (including a healthy dose of side missions as well).  I have a number of games with huge time commitments (GTAIV, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3), and I always wonder just how bad any particular time commitment might be.

I finished the main story after 58 hours and 46 minutes, with a completion rate of 83.83%.  I also did a lot of optional stuff, though: lots of dates and street races, all the Assassination and Manhunt missions, all of the Roman, Little Jacob, and Brucie bonus jobs, most of the Pedestrian missions, and even the Achievement to fly under every bridge in the game (which the GPS helpfully marks once the game sees that you're trying to do it). 

Other stuff like the Pigeon Hunting and Stunt Jumping I ignored altogether.  I don't know what sort of reward would make the tedium of combing through every last fire escape and blind alleyway worthwhile, but it would probably require the addition of a 360 peripheral that could spit out gold bars.

-Autistic Angel
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 01, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »

Before you redo the game, you should consider the recent DLC package - The Lost and Damned. 

The characterizations aren't quite as strong, but the overall quality of the package is fantastic - plenty of new missions, lots of side missions, new music, and even new minigames (arm wrestling, hi-lo, etc).  The date system is gone entirely, but there's still relationship building with your biker peers by way of leveling up their combat abilities through gang warfare.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 01, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »

Anyone know how many missions there are? I'm up to 35 hours and 65 missions complete. Am I close?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 01, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 01, 2009, 07:22:09 PM

Anyone know how many missions there are? I'm up to 35 hours and 65 missions complete. Am I close?

Believe it or not, there are 95 missions.

I spent about 60 hours on the game, but I did all the assassin, car stealing, most wanted and police missions, among other things.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 21, 2009, 02:58:23 AM »

I may never finish this game due to most ridiculous mission design I've encountered in a long time. I'm stuck on "Catch the Wave" where not only do I need to kill a million baddies in a warehouse, I have to do it while keeping some guy Phil alive. If he dies, mission over. Unfortunately he likes to rush blindly into the warehouse and get himself shot. I've used Dwayne's perk to bring in backup, but they don't seem to help much because Phil goes kamikaze before they can be much use.

But that's not what's making me hate the mission. What's making this a game-killer for me is the 10 minutes I have to spend driving a big ass truck to the location. I timed it tonight after failing the mission for the fourth time. It takes 10 minutes from the point of failure until the time I can restart the mission and drive back to the location. So in one hour I only made six attempts at this mission.

Fuck. That.

I'm taking a break. Maybe this weekend I'll try it again. I have no problem with hard missions, but to preclude it with a lengthy drive is ridiculous.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

arise....

new GTA IV fan movie called Hard Charger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3lmWFq_W7Qk

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 29, 2011, 03:27:42 AM »

Mario and Kong throw down in Liberty City (potentially nsfw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7CKnfk4JY&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »

Back to the Future mod.

Not just the car.  You can time travel (limited - it's not like they modded dinosaurs and Ben Franklin into the game, but it's still cool).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 30, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »

yeah that was pretty cool,i still like the Vice City one better  Tongue

BTTF car,BTTF2 car and BTTF3 Train,remote control driving,flying mode,spinning licence plate and blue electric surrounding it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHQgVHCROHw&feature=related

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 31, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

Heh, still haven't passed the mission I  ranted about over 3 years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: