http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:04:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73414 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 24, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 24, 2008, 10:22:05 PM

F****ing Three Leaf Clover!!!!  icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil

I can make it all the way to the point where you need to escape in the car, but I always seem to wreck the car trying to break through the roadblocks before I can make it to my destination.

The mission itself is fantastic, but it's too long to not have a checkpoint. Having to drive to Packie's, and then drive to the bank, over and over again is pissing me off.

I'll get it tonight. I have to, otherwise there will be a controller embedded in my TV screen.

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend dating Kiki.  She can get you through that portion.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 25, 2008, 04:02:10 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 24, 2008, 11:15:42 PM

Quote from: JayDee on May 24, 2008, 10:22:05 PM

F****ing Three Leaf Clover!!!!  icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil

I can make it all the way to the point where you need to escape in the car, but I always seem to wreck the car trying to break through the roadblocks before I can make it to my destination.

The mission itself is fantastic, but it's too long to not have a checkpoint. Having to drive to Packie's, and then drive to the bank, over and over again is pissing me off.

I'll get it tonight. I have to, otherwise there will be a controller embedded in my TV screen.

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend dating Kiki.  She can get you through that portion.

I've requested to date a bunch of girls off of the website but so far I haven't had any luck in getting an email response from them. The "Date" button is blank which means I can't request a date again. Maybe I'll do some of the other missions and come back to it once the dating scene picks up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 25, 2008, 04:56:24 AM »

Date "LawChick" (or something to that effect).  She should accept. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 25, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »

OK, finally finished.  84% complete, clock said 64 hours, but I did both endings, and with reloads that probably puts me close to 70 hours. Some of the final missions were pretty impressive, with some cool scripted events (although you have to be in the right place at the right time to see them). The game was not perfect, but something this huge and detailed, you can't help but be impressed by the whole package. I'll probably come back to it at some point to grab some more achievements, and to do multiplayer, but for single player, my time in Liberty City has ended for the time being.  Keeping me in that long was a big feat - I'm sure that this was by far the most time I have ever spend on single player for a particular game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 25, 2008, 11:24:33 PM »

i think i had about 70 or 80 hrs at the end,only games i can think off from the top of my head that i have spent more time on is Oblivion with over 100hrs and final fantasy 12 had 84hrs....but as i have the 360 version,as i counted the shivering isles expansion for Oblivion with those 100 hrs i will say that my 70-80 hrs on GTA4 isnt up yet,with the DLC...if it were true about 20hrs each download(although i doubt it really),this could be the winner

and someday i will go back to get the rats and stunt jobs,so even without the DLC,i still have a few hours to put in

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:07:50 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1165 on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »

not in front of my stats screen, but i finally finished up this morning.  ~77% complete iirc, and i took the
"bad" ending.  around 40 hours or so as i was only able to spend about 2-3 hours per game night. 

i will reload and go the other route, then proceed to finish up the random stuff.  i only did all of the assassin, car delivery and most wanted missions.  i need to go back for the races, car theft, random people and pigeons, most of the jumps and about a dozen vigilante missions in alderney.

i can't wait to see what happens with the dlc.  it can't get here soon enough.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 27, 2008, 04:45:57 AM »

Age of Conan has jacked me away from GTA IV.  I need to finish it one of these days.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 27, 2008, 11:31:31 AM »

I finished the game over the weekend. Pretty decent final showdown, took me three or four tries and about an hour to do it. I still have some police vigilante and races to do, but couldn't motivate myself to give them more than a token try.

I fired up GTA4 MP instead. I had tried this soon after I had gotten the game but I just couldn't get comfortable with the controls. This time, however, I was able to play quite well, even without auto-aim. I tried some racing at first, but it doesn't seem to be all that different than racing against the AI in the game, except the AI in the game isn't some foul mouthed twelve year old talking trash.

I then tried some team deathmatch and had a pretty good time. People still are all over the place regarding skill, tactics and brains, and there still are the idiot little kids who shouldn't be allowed on the internet at all, but whatever. It's really fun to fight an MP battle over neighborhoods I've played in the solo campaign.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 27, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »

So I was having some thoughts about the plot, and why I think it kind of fell flat in the end.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shortly after Niko gets off the boat, we find out that he has come for a purpose - to find someone.  Later, we find out why he wants to find that person, and the plot thickens. Everything that he does, every crime, is done to bide his time and get the resources and information to find his target. He gets one lead, and we got excited, and it turns out to be a dead end.  And finally, when he finds Darko, the mission isn't a mission at all. It's a choice, and one that may or may not have consequences. I let him live - does anything different happen if you kill him? Maybe get negative Roman points? Not exactly a big deal if that's the case.

After "That Special Someone", the story is kind of lost, looking for a way to end. The Dmitiri/Pegorino choice seems more like an epilogue than an ending. For me, the "deal" ending worked a little better, because Niko obviously cares about his cousin and would likely have been distraught after his death and out for revenge.

The "revenge" ending, which I did first, didn't work as well, primarily because I think they did a really poor job of building up the Kate/Niko relationship. For one, the chemistry between the two of them didn't really work. Kate would complain to Niko about the work he would do and he would often snap back. They didn't have flirty conversations - they were often confrontational. Even when you would call up Kate she'd say, "you, I thought you'd be dead by now!"  But not in a playful way, in a hostile way. The best you got was this weird awkward pause when they'd say goodnight after a date, and that may  have just been a glitch in the game. Yet, somewhere along the line, Niko starts talking like he wants to settle down with Kate.  Also, when Niko calls Kate to tell her that he is making a choice, she basically gives him permission to go after and kill Dmitri, which doesn't make sense - she doesn't want Niko to do crime at all. I just didn't buy it, and didn't buy his reaction to her death.

I do think it's interesting that people refer to "deal" as the "good" ending - I guess Niko winds up with a bunch of money and a girlfriend, but is what happened "good".  Is there something out there that says Rockstar considers "deal" the true ending?

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1169 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »

about that last choice.

Spoiler for Hiden:
i think the deal ending is more in line with the storyline and makes it a better story than the revenge ending.  for one, it makes the motivation to kill dimitri personal.  it also makes a point of why you shouldn't choose money over holding to your beliefs. 

i felt that roman's bit about doing the deal to help him and mallorie would be a good decision for niko to make.   after killing darko, it seems like niko would have wanted to make some attempt at changing his life for the better, and that means being able to let the desire for revenge go.  it also seemed like a good thing to try to help the men who had helped me find darko.  phil and jimmy were people who i felt some gratitude for, and by helping them, we would be square.  that jimmy betrays you to a man who later does the same to him is fittingly ironic.

personally, i think tragic endings (or at least Pyhrric victories) work better for crime stories.   

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 28, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »

In my second day of GTAIV MP gameplay, I switched to Mafiya Works (I think that's how they spell it). Much more fun for me that Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch. Very insane racing through the city to accomplish missions, while taking out your opponents. I was surprised at the number of location where I ended up that I never ventured to in the SP campaign.

In one match the host had set a dollar limit, rather than a time limit for the match. However, he chose $10,000 which no one was near even after an hour of play. We started off with a full sixteen folks but soon starting having dropouts. I don't know if people can join an ongoing match, but by the half-hour mark we were down to only four players, but that made it more fun.

Rockstar did a good job creating a large number of missions for this mode; I don't think we ever had more than three instances of the same one in more than two hours of playing and some I think only showed up once. Now some of them are of the same type, but the circumstances, target or other aspects were changed to make it feel different. And there was one really cool mission where I picked up some "Scottish" developers who wanted a tour of the city. After I got them, in the next mission they continued riding with me and shot at my opponents! Sadly they all died in a flaming crash.

On the long match, the host had selected "Liberty City" as the area and someone complained before the match began that we would be running all over the map, but that didn't happen. Missions spawned near the group, but not always near the center of us, sometimes it was at the outskirts of the borough we were in. About half way through our hour match, where we had been running around Broker/Dukes, we did end up having to rush up to Bohan, but then the rest of the missions were there. Again, good design.

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 30, 2008, 04:15:53 AM »

good news on the 'kill a developer' achievement.  a friend of mine just got it by killing this guy:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?GamerTag=hecdirt41

so it looks like its a viral achievement.  i just need to set up a ranked match to play against my friend to test it, but i'm not sure how to do that...

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 30, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on May 30, 2008, 04:15:53 AM

good news on the 'kill a developer' achievement.  a friend of mine just got it by killing this guy:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?GamerTag=hecdirt41

so it looks like its a viral achievement.  i just need to set up a ranked match to play against my friend to test it, but i'm not sure how to do that...

I got one of those "Let Sleeping Rockstars Lie" this afternoon.

UPDATE: I have gone back to COD4 Hardcore Team Deathmatch. GTAIV MP combat just isn't as satifying.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:07:07 PM by Roscoe » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1173 on: May 31, 2008, 04:21:00 AM »

I wanted to post this link.

Not because I like IGN/McGriddle Network, but because this is actually useful.

A map of Liberty city with all the goodies

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: May 31, 2008, 05:52:22 AM »

Found a bug... Ray's first mission. I get out of the elevator, and after clearing the first few guys I go into the dead-end hallway to get cover to clear the other side, and I fall out of the building. thumbsup

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 31, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 31, 2008, 05:52:22 AM

Found a bug... Ray's first mission. I get out of the elevator, and after clearing the first few guys I go into the dead-end hallway to get cover to clear the other side, and I fall out of the building. thumbsup

it's not their fault that you have no respect for collision detection.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 01, 2008, 06:22:20 PM »

Anyone still playing this? Except for a couple of Rock Band sessions I've played this game exclusively since release and I'm showing no signs that I'm getting bored of it. This may be one of the few games I actually play through to completion. I also have yet to try out the multiplayer aspect.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 01, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »

I still play every single night.    I've played this game more than any in years.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 01, 2008, 07:26:38 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 01, 2008, 06:22:20 PM

Anyone still playing this? Except for a couple of Rock Band sessions I've played this game exclusively since release and I'm showing no signs that I'm getting bored of it. This may be one of the few games I actually play through to completion. I also have yet to try out the multiplayer aspect.

I finished the SP campaign and have done all the missions except for a few oddball side missions. I tried the MP, but it didn't appeal to me. I'm still going to go back to it for the occasional blowing off of steam

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 01, 2008, 11:53:16 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on June 01, 2008, 07:26:38 PM

Quote from: JayDee on June 01, 2008, 06:22:20 PM

I finished the SP campaign and have done all the missions except for a few oddball side missions. I tried the MP, but it didn't appeal to me. I'm still going to go back to it for the occasional blowing off of steam

WERD.  I just finished the SP campaign today, and all I can say is: WOW.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 03, 2008, 01:04:52 AM »

I also finished today, I could have finished on Friday but the last level frustrated me to know end.  What was weird today, when I died it took me to a checkpoint, where as on Friday it didn't and I had just got just as far as I did on Friday.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 03, 2008, 03:03:09 AM »

add me to the group finishing the story today...great ending to an awesome game.  while the final mission is pretty long, i'm really glad they didn't go the route of previous GTA games and make it a long stretch to the end that was incredibly difficult.  it took me a couple tries to get things down, but it wasn't frustrating by any means.  GTA IV is definitely at the top of my '08 GOTY list so far icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 03, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »

Is it time for someone to start a "Things to do in GTAIV SP after you have finished the campaign" thread?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 03, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on June 03, 2008, 05:25:16 PM

Is it time for someone to start a "Things to do in GTAIV SP after you have finished the campaign" thread?

If system = "360" then
  Wait for DLC
else
  Cry
endif
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 03, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »

I still really like this game, but am beginning to doubt if I'll finish the single player campaign. I am finding the restarting missions more and more frustrating. Almost any mission that involves gun play against a lot of combatants or chasing someone(s) down I fail at least a few times. I really wish I didn't always have to replay the whole mission over again. I did the "Deconstruction for beginners" mission a bunch of time, and riding that damn lift to the top of the building to snipe 3 people and then ride it down over and over again was driving me batty. Not to mention hailing a cab over and over again to get to the missions so I don't totally pull my hair out DRIVING to them repeatedly. ME WANT CHECKPOINTS IN ALL MISSIONS~!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 03, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »

Quote from: JCC on June 03, 2008, 06:11:19 PM

I still really like this game, but am beginning to doubt if I'll finish the single player campaign. I am finding the restarting missions more and more frustrating. Almost any mission that involves gun play against a lot of combatants or chasing someone(s) down I fail at least a few times. I really wish I didn't always have to replay the whole mission over again. I did the "Deconstruction for beginners" mission a bunch of time, and riding that damn lift to the top of the building to snipe 3 people and then ride it down over and over again was driving me batty. Not to mention hailing a cab over and over again to get to the missions so I don't totally pull my hair out DRIVING to them repeatedly. ME WANT CHECKPOINTS IN ALL MISSIONS~!

Well, I think the important thing to remember is that the badguys are really not very aggressive.  There are a few cases where you'll suddenly find yourself getting flanked and not understand how, but in most cases, if you stay behind cover you can take your time picking guys off. In most cases you don't need to rush.  Even in cases where you appear to be chasing someone through a building, the guy is programmed to stop and let you catch up, then start moving again when you hit a trigger point.  This helped me a lot with the gun battles.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 09, 2008, 06:33:34 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 03, 2008, 06:18:36 PM

Well, I think the important thing to remember is that the badguys are really not very aggressive.  There are a few cases where you'll suddenly find yourself getting flanked and not understand how, but in most cases, if you stay behind cover you can take your time picking guys off. In most cases you don't need to rush.  Even in cases where you appear to be chasing someone through a building, the guy is programmed to stop and let you catch up, then start moving again when you hit a trigger point.  This helped me a lot with the gun battles.

That's good to know.  I am in the same boat.  First GTA game, and I am sucking badly.  The get in a car and chase missions are just killing me.  I usually end up damaging myself to no end or the opponent gets away...I really do wish there were save spots or an option to save in mission.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »

I finished this up over the weekend. Ending was "meh". I thought the story at the end was a little weak to be honest. The last mission was irritating only in that it was so long and you had to start the whole thing over if you screwed up. Otherwise I thought it was a fitting final mission.

I think I may go back and do some races, but I'm done with the game. Overall a great game, though it got repetitive and felt a little too much like the first GTA3 for me to really get into it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 09, 2008, 01:28:10 PM »

Quote from: Travis on June 09, 2008, 06:33:34 AM

Quote from: Teggy on June 03, 2008, 06:18:36 PM

That's good to know.  I am in the same boat.  First GTA game, and I am sucking badly.  The get in a car and chase missions are just killing me.  I usually end up damaging myself to no end or the opponent gets away...I really do wish there were save spots or an option to save in mission.

Yes, the chase missions do require you to go at a faster pace then you'd like at times. In a lot of cases, though, if you just start off slow and concentrate on not hitting anything, it's ok if you are not right on the guy's tail.  You can always catch up on straightaway after following the radar.  In almost all of those chases, the target will reach a point at which they will crash or leave the vehicle, so I concentrated on just staying close enough to keep the mission going. You'll also get to see some fun scripted events if you do the whole chase, and you'll get better at the driving.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 15, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »

Beat it last night and my final analysis is this: Fuck this game. I swear to God and all that is holy in the universe, I do not understand why any one who reviewed this game was knocked out by it. Sure there are tons of things in the game but there's a subtle different between depth and bulk. Rockstar has long since proven they do not understand this difference and the result is this beast of a gamer burdened by addendum features which are neat to look at but do not affect the core gameplay which is, by itself, constantly repeating for 40+ hours. Want an example? The in-depth comical approach to news on the internet about your rampages is funny to read, provided I go either to my East Park apartment or an Internet cafe to get online and read it. It's there if you want it but not necessary to the rest of the game. That is fine. Completely. What isn't fine is how I finish the game with 94 missions shown completed and I can count ON ONE FUCKING HAND the differences between them all.

1. Go to Place X and Kill Person Y.
2. Drive Person X to Place Y.
3. Go to Place X and survive.

Oh hey, looks like I still have two fingers to spare. THAT COVERS 90+ MISSIONS AND REVIEWERS CONSIDER THIS GAME OF THE YEAR?!?!?!?!?!!? WHAT THE HOLY FUCK GAME WERE YOU PLAYING?!?!?!?

It doesn't help that the control scheme is cumbersome, the response time on ALL vehicles sucks, Nico handles like a beached whale, the game regards "atmosphere" as having pedestrians shouting profanities the whole time, the graphics aren't ugly but they are a far damn cry from pretty (I'm baffled by people who think the graphics look stunning. No, R-Tard, Ninja Gaiden II is an example of stunning and fluid graphics. GTA IV is just passable.), and the overall enterprise just is not very fun. I've spent hours and hours digging and digging and digging some more and you know what I've found after all my effort? A soulless, repeat of previous installments that also lacked soul and fun. Know what happened within 30 seconds of playing "LEGO Indiana Jones"? I had fun. Know what happened after 30+ hours of playing GTA IV? I had maybe an hour's worth of fun courtesy of "Three Leaf Clover" which is absolutely the epic, lengthy, and difficult mission that this series should have specialized in.

Fuck you Rockstar, I shall never play another GTA game as long as I live. All I have left are a few collectibles to pick up some more Achievements (i.e. Nerd Points) and after that I'm removing it from my 360 and NEVER. PLAYING. IT. AGAIN. EVER.

P.S. Multiplayer was pretty fun at times (key phrase) but not worth keeping this unruly turd of a game.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 15, 2008, 06:44:46 PM »

yet you played all the way through it.....

Tongue

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: June 15, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »

Whiteboy's assessment is my own, only without having suffered through all of it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 15, 2008, 08:25:13 PM »

LOL,i pretty much loved the game(i think it deserved more a 9 than a 10 a lot of places/reviews were giving it.).and it was by far the easiest of the series(but that might be down to better controls)..only thing i hated was being married to like 5 people,or so it seemed,with them constantly bugging me to go out

so does that mean you are not going to get the downloads when they are released WBS?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 15, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 15, 2008, 08:25:13 PM

LOL,i pretty much loved the game(i think it deserved more a 9 than a 10 a lot of places/reviews were giving it.).and it was by far the easiest of the series(but that might be down to better controls)..only thing i hated was being married to like 5 people,or so it seemed,with them constantly bugging me to go out

so does that mean you are not going to get the downloads when they are released WBS?

If I can download however many missions they'll offer and they all are as awesome as Three Leaf Clover then sure. If they're all just more of the rest of the game, then hell no. I'll play Mercs 2 instead. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 16, 2008, 12:43:01 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 15, 2008, 06:52:41 PM

Whiteboy's assessment is my own, only without having suffered through all of it.

yeah, I know MSG4 is going to suck, so I don't feel the need to be masochistic and watch it.  WBS is teh hardcore!  Tongue

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 16, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2008, 12:43:01 AM

Quote from: mikeg on June 15, 2008, 06:52:41 PM

yeah, I know MSG4 is going to suck, so I don't feel the need to be masochistic and watch it.  WBS is teh hardcore!  Tongue

Damn right. I suffer so others don't have to. I'm like Jesus in that regard.

Seriously, my take on it was just this - I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I honest to God have zero idea what all these reviewers felt that I completely missed and I've been gaming for  over 20 years. I've played everything under the sun but more important than that is I understand why something works. Nothing works in GTA IV except like five missions OUT OF 90+!!!!! This I take exception to and proclaim Rockstar an Epic Fail. And you know what? I was thinking about getting more nerd points by snatching up vehicles for Steve but I had a thought. Why not get more nerd points FROM GAMES I ACTUALLY ENJOY PLAYING?!?! HOW 'BOUT THAT?!?!?!

To Rockstar, a special message from David Caruso:

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: June 16, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »

wow.  we need to compare favorite games and see if our tastes are completely opposite or something.  totally different perspective here. 

i really liked the atmosphere they created with the city.  it feels more alive, and the details they added more than make up for smaller polygon counts.  i like that the vehicles don't all handle like they did in previous games, and that they all react in more realistic ways when damaged.  if i wanted crazy taxi, i'd go back to 1999.  the shooting here is much better than i hoped it would be and should be a model for how to do it right.  i wonder what kind of missions you were expecting in a crime based game?  as a man willing to commit murder to get to what he wants, do you really expect him to try his life as a normal person for a while?  i don't know what you were looking for mission wise.  any examples from similar games? 

btw, about being having to read about your rampages online.  they also talk about them on the radio too, and i also saw related news items on the tickers in downtown manhattan. 

our tastes can't be all that different as i see you are waiting for mercs 2 just as i am. 

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: June 16, 2008, 05:53:31 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 16, 2008, 04:58:18 PM

wow.  we need to compare favorite games and see if our tastes are completely opposite or something.  totally different perspective here. 
....our tastes can't be all that different as i see you are waiting for mercs 2 just as i am. 

Nobody really understand what makes the WBS tick. Between his Dead Rising thread and his comments on GTAIV I'm just boggled. Those are two of my favorite games of this generation and he ripped em both apart.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 16, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 16, 2008, 02:26:56 AM

Nothing works in GTA IV except like five missions OUT OF 90+!!!!! This I take exception to and proclaim Rockstar an Epic Fail.

Ohh!! Ohh!!!

you said 'Epic Fail'

that means i can post this,i have been wanting to post this for ages now(well 3 days since i found it)

and you can have these as well

thanks for letting me get them off my chest icon_lol

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:59 AM »

I do what I can, meta. smile

Coop, I honest to God don't even know what makes me tick. I do my best to go into everything with an open mind and sometimes I've absolutely loved things others have hated and hated some things others have loved. My favorite example of this was seeing Titanic opening night after having followed the production for a year and a half, and I hated it the second (I mean the VERY SECOND) that Bill Paxton first spoke. Walked out afterwards and absolutely blasted the film while everyone, and I do mean EVERY ONE, exited completely, happily stunned by the experience. Didn't understand it then, but I snicker at people who hate the film now because I can point and say, "Yeah, but you only hate it now because it's trendy to do so." slywink

I play games to do the following in no particular order: have fun, experience a well told story about characters or a situation that I find interesting, experience something I have not experienced before. This is why I'm pissed I didn't catch "Speed Racer" in that IMAX because say what you want about the film, it was literally unlike anything that's hit theaters in a long while. Dead Rising has its moments to be fair, but there is such an asinine amount of grunt work to slug through before you get to the fun that it made the game work. The second that happens I'm out. Done. The game is dead to me. I will then, if there are fun things to do, continue to play in the hope that the game comes back to life for me. Hand to God, that's why I continued to slug through DR and GTA4. I have experienced both games end to end and I am absolutely resoundingly never going to play them again.

Final Fantasy XII did this the correct way. The story line doesn't start until you've played the entire length of Max Payne 2. But up to that point you're still having fun because the game mechanics are fun, the story is fascinating, and the characters aren't one dimensional cut outs.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:47:59 AM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: