http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 72155 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 19, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 19, 2008, 06:31:24 PM

Quote from: ChaoZ on May 19, 2008, 03:58:18 PM

I screwed up a date with Kiki (accidentally fired my pistol) She seems gone from the dating website. Does she reappear or do I have to reload and redo a few missions?

from what i heard she comes back onto the site in a few days

that's true...anyone who dumps you can be dated again after a little time passes by going to the website and starting fresh.  i had to do that with Carmen after our first date...and i'll be doing it again sometime if i want her perk back.  she dumped me a second time after i accidentally sent her flying through the windshield while we were on our way to a date.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 19, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 19, 2008, 08:54:52 PM

she dumped me a second time after i accidentally sent her flying through the windshield while we were on our way to a date.

I'd dump you too.   icon_lol
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 19, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 19, 2008, 08:45:45 PM

Whew!  3,700 words but my GTA IV review is complete.  I've got some edits to do but it'll be up tonight.

which system did you do?

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 19, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »

the 7 most evil things you can do in GTAIV!

I think I'm gonna try #3 with Carmen, rather than just dumping her...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 19, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »

Whew!  3,700 words but my GTA IV review is complete.  I've got some edits to do but it'll be up tonight.

Only 3700 words for an entire review?   Roll Eyes  I write more than that when simply summarizing a trip to the dog park.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1125 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on May 19, 2008, 09:13:04 PM

which system did you do?

Played both.  Reviewed both.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 19, 2008, 09:36:03 PM

which system did you do?

Ok, now I have to agree with Pete...onl 3700 words???  slywink
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: May 19, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 19, 2008, 09:36:31 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 19, 2008, 09:36:03 PM

which system did you do?

Ok, now I have to agree with Pete...onl 3700 words???  slywink

Yea, I figured I'd sandbagged it enough.  Time to kick it out the door.  smirk

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 19, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »

I've noticed that I have a marker on the map for Packie but I have no idea who that is or how it got there. It's possible I missed some discussion/dialogue due to interruptions while I'm playing. Can anyone fill me in how I came to meet Packie? Just in case I need to make some moral decision later on I would like to know my relationship with him.

Thanks!
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 19, 2008, 10:29:25 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 19, 2008, 10:17:42 PM

I've noticed that I have a marker on the map for Packie but I have no idea who that is or how it got there. It's possible I missed some discussion/dialogue due to interruptions while I'm playing. Can anyone fill me in how I came to meet Packie? Just in case I need to make some moral decision later on I would like to know my relationship with him.

Thanks!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe the first time you meet him is when you save his life by sniping a bunch of guys from a rooftop across from an attempted drug deal.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 19, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 19, 2008, 10:29:25 PM

Quote from: JayDee on May 19, 2008, 10:17:42 PM

Thanks!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe the first time you meet him is when you save his life by sniping a bunch of guys from a rooftop across from an attempted drug deal.

Ah yes, I remember now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 19, 2008, 09:24:03 PM

you know, I don't think I've seen one hooker yet to even try burning them to death....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 20, 2008, 01:33:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2008, 12:54:21 AM

you know, I don't think I've seen one hooker yet to even try burning them to death....

With all of the uproar over the "services" that the hookers in the game are able to provide, I have yet to see one either.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 20, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »

Alright, WTF is up with Kiki:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get two or three stars on me and when I call her she replies that the cops are really after me and that there's nothing I can do. I believe my exact words shouted at the TV were, "What the fuck do you mean by that, cunt?" Yeah, I was pretty hostile. Are there conditions I have to achieve in order for this to work or what? Does she have to like me a certain percentage?"

When I'm done with this, I think I'm done with it save for the MP. I bought the game thinking it was Grand Theft Auto IV not Grand Dating Sim. Hey Rockstar - I want to jack cars and have a fun time rampaging through a city or playing through a storyline that is evocative of The Sopranos. Instead I get a game where I can do some of that only to have to take 5 people out for fucking burgers/dancing/drinking/etc. so they won't give me grief later on in the story. I cannot begin to stress enough as to how much I absolutely, resoundingly, HATE this feature of the game. Pure, unfiltered, HATRED.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 20, 2008, 03:30:48 AM »

There are definitely times when the perks don't work.  I don't know if it's completely arbitrary or if you need to take them out again to "recharge" the perks or what.  When it's car service it annoys me because there is no reason that shouldn't work all of the time.  But for something like Kiki's perk I think it's good- it works more often than I expected (I had thought that Rockstar would nerf it for most missions so they didn't let players off of the specific experience that they planned) but I'm not sure I want a method
Spoiler for Hiden:
to lose my Wanted Level
that worked 100% of the time. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1135 on: May 20, 2008, 05:26:23 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 20, 2008, 01:33:53 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2008, 12:54:21 AM

With all of the uproar over the "services" that the hookers in the game are able to provide, I have yet to see one either.

Really?  They're all over the place at night in certain areas. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 20, 2008, 05:51:53 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 20, 2008, 05:26:23 AM

that's the big key...they only show up in certain parts of town and are more common at night.  you're not really missing out on much though...don't think there's any benefit like you got in previous games, and the novelty is gone after your first visit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:00:03 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 20, 2008, 01:48:45 AM

When I'm done with this, I think I'm done with it save for the MP. I bought the game thinking it was Grand Theft Auto IV not Grand Dating Sim. Hey Rockstar - I want to jack cars and have a fun time rampaging through a city or playing through a storyline that is evocative of The Sopranos. Instead I get a game where I can do some of that only to have to take 5 people out for fucking burgers/dancing/drinking/etc. so they won't give me grief later on in the story. I cannot begin to stress enough as to how much I absolutely, resoundingly, HATE this feature of the game. Pure, unfiltered, HATRED.

It's completely optional. If you hate it so much, just stop doing it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 20, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 20, 2008, 02:16:26 PM

It's completely optional. If you hate it so much, just stop doing it.

+1.  You don't have to maintain a relationship with any of these people in order to advance the storyline.  Granted, some of them will help you tremendously if you do, like Jacob and, at least in my case, Kiki, but you don't have to carry on with them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 20, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 20, 2008, 05:51:53 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 20, 2008, 05:26:23 AM

that's the big key...they only show up in certain parts of town and are more common at night.  you're not really missing out on much though...don't think there's any benefit like you got in previous games, and the novelty is gone after your first visit.

but you haven't truly played a GTA game until you've found a hooker, used her and then beat her to death to get your money back  icon_twisted

Because I can,
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: May 20, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »

Alright, WTF is up with Kiki:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get two or three stars on me and when I call her she replies that the cops are really after me and that there's nothing I can do. I believe my exact words shouted at the TV were, "What the fuck do you mean by that, cunt?" Yeah, I was pretty hostile. Are there conditions I have to achieve in order for this to work or what? Does she have to like me a certain percentage?"

I think Kiki will help you up to 3 stars.  The strategy guide says you can call her three times before you must take her out again, but I have found that 2 times is a stretch.  I usually will take her out again immediately after using her perk just to be on the safe side.  So far it's worked for me.  Some perks apparently don't work during missions and some do.  I know Carmen's doesn't, but Kiki's does.  Carmen's does work though, as long as you're not in a mission.

As far as taking people out, you can get away with taking them to eat most of the time which only takes a few seconds.  Here's how I juggle all the "friends".  Call Kiki, set up a date, hail a cab and fast travel to just outside her house.  Steal a car, drive into the arrow and pick her up.  Go around the corner to the nearest Cluck and Bell, Burger Shot, or diner.  Park, and get out.  The whole process takes maybe a minute.  As soon as I leave Kiki's, I call Carmen or Alex and rinse and repeat.  Sure it gets repetitive, but they usually say something different in the car everytime I take them out.  After I finish with the girls, I take Roman, Jacob, and Packie eating or drinking.  Basically using the same formula unless one of them calls me first and wants to go bowling or to a strip club.  All told I can pull all of this off in a matter of about 10 minutes.

Like someone else said, you can just ignore them if you want to if you don't care for their perks.  I've finished with the game, but I am still maintaining my relationships.  Another thing I was doing before I finished the story was I would set aside a day and just do the relationship thing.  I would just do everything I mentioned above and then when I was finished, I would just do missions for the next couple of days or until one of them called.

There is also an option where you can set your phone not to receive voice mails if you want to go that route too.  Personally, I thought the relationships were a nice touch...I actually wish there were more of them.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 20, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »

Carmen's has *never* worked for me, inside or outside of missions.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 20, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 20, 2008, 03:15:10 PM

Carmen's has *never* worked for me, inside or outside of missions.

Same for me, so I dumped her, because if it's not going to work during a mission, it's really useless, because outside of a mission, you can simply stop and get a hot dog, or if you are near a hospital, there is always free health somewhere on the grounds.  If there is some restriction on when and how many times you can use a perk, then that should be spelled out to you on screen, at least once!

I'm not going for 100%, simply because I don't have the patience to scour the city for pigeons, and if it's going to take a guide to make it go quicker, I hardly see the point. However, I am curious what affect the dating has on getting 100%.  Do you have to simply date all the girls?  Do you have to gain all the perks at least once? Do you have to buy one of every clothes item in the game?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 20, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »

Kiki and Carmen have both worked for me, even inside missions, but not always consistently. The strategy guide doesn't identify specific lockout periods, but does say that the benefit can only be used three times before you have to go on a date again and "get lucky". Maybe there is some other condition not mentioned?

I have decided not to let the inconsistency bother me, I just put it down to the female right to change her mind  icon_wink. Also, unlike GTASA, I have yet to find a mission that is so hard I just can't seem to get past it. Some do need two or three tries, but usually that's because I miss some obvious solution the first time around. Or sometimes I fire an RPG into an object a couple of feet away and kill myself  Roll Eyes. But none that *require* help from Kiki or Carmen.

I haven't been able to get in more than fifteen minutes of GTA4 since last Friday, so I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. It's been a long time since I've had a game that I've played for so long without getting bored or frustrated. And even with what I've been doing in the game, I'm still seeing articles like "The 7 Most EVIL Things You Can Do in Grand Theft Auto IV" and realize I'm never even thought about most of them.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 20, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »

with the negative buzz around the tunnel of death mission, i was almost certain to hit a road block with it like i did with snow job.  i got very lucky though and beat it first try.  the first cop car got in a bender with the noose vehicles and all of the other first responders went down the wrong tunnel so my center point didn't reset.  by the time more cops showed up on the map, i was able to escape the circle and duck down an alley.  i lost the heat after that and the rest of the mission went fine.

about the end of that mission:
Spoiler for Hiden:
i kind of felt bad offing that aiden guy.  it's not like i had any beef with him and i certainly wasn't convinced that derrick was innocent in the whole thing either.  i ended up pistol whipping him and watching his body slide into the ocean.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 20, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 20, 2008, 09:13:40 PM

with the negative buzz around the tunnel of death mission, i was almost certain to hit a road block with it like i did with snow job.  i got very lucky though and beat it first try.  the first cop car got in a bender with the noose vehicles and all of the other first responders went down the wrong tunnel so my center point didn't reset.  by the time more cops showed up on the map, i was able to escape the circle and duck down an alley.  i lost the heat after that and the rest of the mission went fine.

I actually accidentally blind-fired my RPG in that mission.  I didn't realize that I wasn't pulling the left trigger and let it go.  Luckily, the cop car was about 50 feet away so I didn't need to aim real well.  It was pretty funny to see Niko casually reaching around the side of the truck and squeezing off a rocket while looking the other way.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 20, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 20, 2008, 09:13:40 PM

about the end of that mission:
Spoiler for Hiden:
i kind of felt bad offing that aiden guy.  it's not like i had any beef with him and i certainly wasn't convinced that derrick was innocent in the whole thing either.  i ended up pistol whipping him and watching his body slide into the ocean.

I had no problem with that mission, either.  Shot all the cops with my M4, including the ones who come up after...and then called Kiki for some help right after (and it worked).
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 21, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2008, 02:29:11 PM

but you haven't truly played a GTA game until you've found a hooker, used her and then beat her to death to get your money back  icon_twisted

so true...but i do kind of miss being able to beat them with a big, purple, double-ended dildo like you could in San Andreas icon_twisted

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 21, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

I tried to use Carmen's mending help in a mission yesterday and again she failed me, so I decided that was that. I took her out on a date and kept crashing the car to put her through the windshield but no dice. Then I drove in the ocean to drown her but she came back to shore. I then shot her repeatedly till finally she broke up with me. Damn, I must be so alluring that women simply won't let me go!!  slywink

I got a little frustrated on an Alderney mission that was long and I failed it at what seemed to be the very last challenge and for the first time felt like I was getting tired of the game. So I quit for the day and I'll pick it up again this afternoon. Previously I had unlocked the "Liberty City" achievement after winning a race in Broker, which I thought meant I won all the available races, but then I got an email from Brucie saying in effect there's a new series of races available to me. So between those and going after the bad guys in Alderney and Broker/Dukes/Bohan there's still plenty to do besides the mainline missions.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 21, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 21, 2008, 02:38:47 PM

I got an email from Brucie saying in effect there's a new series of races available to me. So between those and going after the bad guys in Alderney and Broker/Dukes/Bohan there's still plenty to do besides the mainline missions.

There also at least 2 sets of side missions that you haven't unlocked yet.

Beat "Truck Hustle" last night (among others) - what a great mission. Currently at 50 hours and I still have about 20 story missions to go.

Also had something strange happen last night during a mission.  I can't remember exactly which one it was, but it was basically a straight forward "go to this place and wipe everyone out" mission. When I got to the last guy, he had dropped his gun and was holding his hands out, and the arrows above his head were flashing blue and red. However, when I walked over to him, he didn't do anything.  I tried putting my gun away but nothing happened. Finally,  I had to gun him down to end the mission. Not sure what was going on there.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: May 21, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2008, 02:47:06 PM

Also had something strange happen last night during a mission.  I can't remember exactly which one it was, but it was basically a straight forward "go to this place and wipe everyone out" mission. When I got to the last guy, he had dropped his gun and was holding his hands out, and the arrows above his head were flashing blue and red. However, when I walked over to him, he didn't do anything.  I tried putting my gun away but nothing happened. Finally,  I had to gun him down to end the mission. Not sure what was going on there.

That's a moral choice. You should have been able to walk away if you didn't want to kill him and the mission would complete. I don't think I;ve seen one of those where there wasn't a specific message about the choice, but mayeb I just killed him too quickly. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: May 21, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 21, 2008, 03:27:24 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2008, 02:47:06 PM

That's a moral choice. You should have been able to walk away if you didn't want to kill him and the mission would complete. I don't think I;ve seen one of those where there wasn't a specific message about the choice, but mayeb I just killed him too quickly. slywink

I've actually seen that several times throughout the game.  Doesn't seem to really have an effect either way.   The way I look at it - I was sent there to complete a mission.  The extra 2 in the head is just me going the extra mile to earn my paycheck.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 21, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »

Generally when given a choice if you just walk away the game will interpret it as letting them live. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »

Another fun moment during "Dust-off"

Spoiler for Hiden:
When you take the helicopter and an enemy runs out and grabs on to the skids.  That guy hung on for quite a while before he fell off quite a ways up over the water.  Kind of curious how they worked the timing on that.  I took off kind of slow because I saw him and wanted to see what he would do.  I wonder if you can get off before he reaches you.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 21, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2008, 04:32:15 PM

Another fun moment during "Dust-off"

Spoiler for Hiden:
When you take the helicopter and an enemy runs out and grabs on to the skids.  That guy hung on for quite a while before he fell off quite a ways up over the water.  Kind of curious how they worked the timing on that.  I took off kind of slow because I saw him and wanted to see what he would do.  I wonder if you can get off before he reaches you.

You can, or maybe there was no one left by the time I left.

Because I can,
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: May 21, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »

Hey, I notice in Bohan that the traffic light intersections sometimes also have stop signs. Is this true for the Bronx?

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 22, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »

Damn, I've run into one of those "unbeatable" missions, "Catch The Wave", where you drive a truck to Charge Island and...
Spoiler for Hiden:
...and I keep getting Phil Bell killed because I hang back and snipe, or get myself killed if I rush forward with Bell. Damn.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 23, 2008, 02:37:33 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 22, 2008, 10:57:25 PM

Damn, I've run into one of those "unbeatable" missions, "Catch The Wave", where you drive a truck to Charge Island and...
Spoiler for Hiden:
...and I keep getting Phil Bell killed because I hang back and snipe, or get myself killed if I rush forward with Bell. Damn.

I didn't have too much trouble with that one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I shot out the window of the truck to quickly kill the one or two guys who were rushing the truck.  Then I got out of the truck and moved to the left of the warehouse opening, got into cover, and started taking as many guys out as I could.  When Bell moved up a bit farther, I went into the warehouse and killed more guys, taking some cover when I could.  There is health left of the middle on the end of a pile of something if you need it.  After you get halfway through the warehouse you've gotten through the worst of it.  There's another twist, but I'll let you discover that on your own smile

Just finished "Flatline". That was a pain until I finally figured out what they wanted you to do.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 23, 2008, 03:38:55 AM »

This was pretty funny. Some valid complaints:

http://www.maxim.com/Grandtheftautoivtheweekafter/articles/24972.aspx

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 24, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »

F****ing Three Leaf Clover!!!!  icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil

I can make it all the way to the point where you need to escape in the car, but I always seem to wreck the car trying to break through the roadblocks before I can make it to my destination.

The mission itself is fantastic, but it's too long to not have a checkpoint. Having to drive to Packie's, and then drive to the bank, over and over again is pissing me off.

I'll get it tonight. I have to, otherwise there will be a controller embedded in my TV screen.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: