http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:17:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73995 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 13, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 13, 2008, 06:02:58 PM

Quote from: kadnod on May 12, 2008, 08:36:51 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 07:58:28 PM

Is there a way to earn some solid cash? I got arrested last night and lost all my guns. Buying those suckers back was expensive as hell and I'd rather not cheat until I get certain achievements the honest way. smile

I sometimes hunt down the "Most Wanted" criminals off the police computer when I want some easy money and ammo.  So far, they've been ridiculously easy to kill.

But yeah, missions are really the way to go for cash.

Do those missions (the police computer missions) actually pay?  Or do you just get the cash off the bad guys?  I've done a bunch of them, and I have not found them to be a reliable source of funds.

Yes, you can get cash off the bad guys.  And more importantly you get credit towards an achievement slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 13, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 13, 2008, 04:53:50 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2008, 04:52:40 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2008, 04:40:38 PM

You know what suddenly struck me as I was walking down the steps to my office?  GTAIV accurately models walking down steps.  It actually has annoyed me in-game because you always slow down when you hit steps, but I can't recall another game that has a realistic animation when walking down steps.  Is there?

too bad they don't let you take stairs two or more at a time when running up them.

I usually jump and end up jumping up half the flight of stairs at a time.  biggrin

I do the same, but there are some stairs where I go leaping over the side and fall a few stories, so I'm trying to be more cautious.  I wish he'd take the stairs faster, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 13, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2008, 06:47:39 PM

Say, do safehouses help with police chases?  Can you duck in one to avoid the police somehow?

I've done it once, so yes it works.

While I have a post open, I've noticed several car dealerships, very handy for stealing cars. Is there a motorcycle dealership?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 13, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me but I've never had a problem finding bikes parked on the street. Has anyone done the "flip this ride 5 times" achievement? If so, where is a good spot? I tried to do it in a muscle car then stupidly realized it was probably too damn heavy. Before I could try in a lighter car I was off shooting most wanted criminals. icon_cool

By the way, regarding cheats, has anyone had a problem using them? I'm planning on not using any until I beat the game or get the achievements the legitimate way, but I'm curious. I won't spoil it here in case you aren't aware of it, but the in-game website showing where everything is equals hilarity. I love how it's built and integrated into the Internet. I just wish I could screenshot what it shows then print it off somehow. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 13, 2008, 07:48:11 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 13, 2008, 07:12:32 PM

While I have a post open, I've noticed several car dealerships, very handy for stealing cars. Is there a motorcycle dealership?

Ooo..Ooo...I know the Grotto dealer right around the corner between the Perseus store and the 3rd safehouse. Where are some others? biggrin
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 13, 2008, 07:55:49 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 13, 2008, 07:48:11 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on May 13, 2008, 07:12:32 PM

Ooo..Ooo...I know the Grotto dealer right around the corner between the Perseus store and the 3rd safehouse. Where are some others? biggrin

Oh, I found the motorcycle shop. It's located at....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Percell St and Sacramento Ave in north Alderney, just south and a little west of the Burger Shot, just northeast of the Pizza This

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: May 13, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »

anyone gotten the liberty city minute achievement?  i'm kind of annoyed they put this in there as it makes the impetus for finishing the main story missions first, and i think the game loses a lot of it's personality if you breeze from one to the next.  it also annoys me that i find myself watching the in game clock more than the in game activities.  i think i'll just blow it off and save it for the next time, but i know that's unlikely as i have never replayed a gta game.  or finished one other than except liberty city stories. 

i think i'll play the next time with the goal of breaking the 30 hour mark so that the temptation is gone.  despite how much i love this game, i don't get as much time as i used to.  only up to 22 hours, but i have been doing more missions and i have done a few side activities as well.  ~ 45% with 56 missions done. 

i spotted a great nesting place for a pigeon in downtown algonquin.  i think it's one of the coolest places i have seen so far and it just screams at you to notice it. 

hint:  it's a short swim away from the south end of star junction. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 13, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »

At 41 hours played already, I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting the Liberty City Minute achievement icon_wink
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:11 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2008, 03:28:38 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 13, 2008, 03:11:29 PM

I looked at the Carmen buff in my phone and it says health boost.  Maybe it makes your health last longer?

From what I am reading, people have only been able to get to work if they are not on a mission.  I don't know if that is a bug or if it is as designed.  I have tried it twice and nothing happened either time.  I know one time I did I was on a mission, but I can't recall the other time.

i unlocked Carmen's perk last night and successfully used it two or three times...called her up and she refilled my health from nearly gone within a few seconds.  i'm not sure it makes a difference, but i was not in the middle of a mission at the time.  i'll have to keep trying and see if any problems pop up...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 14, 2008, 02:13:59 AM »

so either there's a bug or something i missed. but the that special someone mission won't trigger. i've been sitting here for almost 30 mins now and still no damn phone call. becoming very frustrated too. so close to the damn end and i just want to finish this.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 14, 2008, 04:58:18 AM »

Well I was down to a sliver of heatlh on Three Leaf Clover, called Carmen, and it didn't help me at all.  Thanfully I found a first aid kit but I'm pretty much going to dump her at this point. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 14, 2008, 05:02:49 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 14, 2008, 02:13:59 AM

so either there's a bug or something i missed. but the that special someone mission won't trigger. i've been sitting here for almost 30 mins now and still no damn phone call. becoming very frustrated too. so close to the damn end and i just want to finish this.

update to this, it looks like i have to finish all the mcreary missions, but there's ZERO missions on my map and the francis line is stuck at 33% or something.

so this is sweet. I can't beat the game. GOOD FUCKING BUG HERE.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: May 14, 2008, 05:10:47 AM »

Get into a taxi then cycle through all the available locations he can take you.  Perhaps a mission will show up in that list.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 14, 2008, 05:11:57 AM »

that's a good idea, i gave up for today though.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 14, 2008, 05:17:32 AM »

Found a bug in the Three leaf clover mission.  If you fail the mission, you lose the rifle, even though you purchased it.  When you go replay it, and your there with the four goons looking for a four door car, you don't have the weapon, but once you're in the bank it's there.  After replaying this several times, I did not know this at first, so I ended up wasting 3500 every time I restarted the mission.  Just before I beat it, I was down to $700. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: May 14, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »

Quote from: naednek on May 14, 2008, 05:17:32 AM

Found a bug in the Three leaf clover mission.  If you fail the mission, you lose the rifle, even though you purchased it.  When you go replay it, and your there with the four goons looking for a four door car, you don't have the weapon, but once you're in the bank it's there.  After replaying this several times, I did not know this at first, so I ended up wasting 3500 every time I restarted the mission.  Just before I beat it, I was down to $700. 

you wasted $3500 each time, as in you went to manually buy the weapon each time?  why would you even bother doing that, no weapon is specifically necessary to beat that mission.  you can beat that mission with just a Desert Eagle pistol if you really wanted

regardless, don't you guys reload when failing a mission?  yall do realize that a trip to the hospital emergency room costs like 10-15k a pop, which sucks... so I ended up just reloading every time I failed a mission.  with the taxi system, you don't lose much time at all
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 14, 2008, 07:46:03 AM »

so, I decided to give SP a second chance.  Got through most of the missions fairly easily, and got to Three Leaf Clover.  the first try I got to the subway and bought it as my comrades took all the available cover.  OK, spent alot of ammo, so I just reloaded.  Second mission, make it up top, get to the bridge and break through the roadblock, get about halfway acrossed..... and get a disc read error  mad  the 360 almost goes through the window.  third try, get to a car, get in..... poof... my wanted level is gone.  I go WTF but I'll take it as I drive carefully towards the end point. finished the mission, made sure to save, that mission is finished.  I haven't encountered this Carmen yet though, so I'm not sure what I missed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »

Got in three mainline missions yesterday in about three hours of game play, 57 complete now and about 41% complete on the game. Did some police computer missions, car retrievals for Stevie, deliveries for Little Jacob, dates, man-dates... just having a good old time  icon_biggrin.

I did check my stats and whoo boy, $97K spent on medical expenses? Sheesh. Gotta be more careful. I've earned over $400K and have about $270K in the bank. About forty-two hours in gameplay (my previous report of "over forty" was in error, I was actually in the mid-thirties). I've got all my women in the nineties in approval, all the men at least in the eighties except for Packie who need to spend some time with.

Finally got a safehouse in Alderney, now I guess all I need is another one in Broker to replace the one I lost. I'm using taxis a lot to save time going back and forth. Also I'm finding fewer and fewer items like commercials and talk radio programs I haven't heard before, and I'm not into the music on some of the stations, so I don't miss listening to the radio while zipping around. I do have to say that I'm listening to a lot of regge and some other genres I wouldn't have listened to before, but I'm still not a rap fan.

There's a lot of speculation going around about what's going to be in the new DLC in the fall, like new cities. I'd be happy if they kept to the existing Liberty City and added new missions, there's so much of the map that hasn't been utilized. Making new cities sounds like a lot more work and so would limit the DLC issuances. I would also pay to get new radio stations. I think this was something they failed to exploit in GTASA, it would seem to be a no-brainer to use all that existing map of San Andreas to add a new mission pack, music or items.

Am I off in this? Would people be unhappy with new DLC unless it's a new city?

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 14, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 14, 2008, 07:32:57 AM

Quote from: naednek on May 14, 2008, 05:17:32 AM

you wasted $3500 each time, as in you went to manually buy the weapon each time?  why would you even bother doing that, no weapon is specifically necessary to beat that mission.  you can beat that mission with just a Desert Eagle pistol if you really wanted

regardless, don't you guys reload when failing a mission?  yall do realize that a trip to the hospital emergency room costs like 10-15k a pop, which sucks... so I ended up just reloading every time I failed a mission.  with the taxi system, you don't lose much time at all

Because the Assault Rifle does a better job than the uzi, and on that mission, you don't want to try it with a pistol
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 14, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »

I don't get it either- why would you "purchase" the Carbine?  It was issued to you.  It never even occurred to me that you could buy it then.  I was watching the cutscene thinking "Damn, they got Carbines and I"m still stuck with an AK" and then I noticed that Niko had a Carbine too!  I passed it on my first go but I don't think it would have occurred to me to try and buy one instead if I failed the mission. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 14, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »

Wow, I think I suck at this game. I can't get by "No Love Lost". I suck at riding the motorcycle so I only make it to the point where they gang up on me 1 out of every 10 attempts, and then I just get smoked in no time flat. I tried dumping the bike for my car which makes it easier to get to the part where they gang up on me, but in the field I get no traction so I have no luck trying to run them down in my car. They eventually blow up my car, and then I get smoked again. Is there a trick I am missing?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 14, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »

Hop out well clear of them and then approach from a difference using the trees as cover.  You should have no trouble gradually picking them off. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 14, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 14, 2008, 01:35:56 PM

Wow, I think I suck at this game. I can't get by "No Love Lost". . . .Is there a trick I am missing?

Have you already tried buying a stockpile of submachine gun ammo before you start?  If you're able to catch up to him in a car while he's still on the bike, you should be able to take him down pretty quick from shooting out the car window, and avoid the ganging up part entirely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 14, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

so, last night I finally found a race mission, but was also happy to find out it's not required for the main storyline  thumbsup

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 14, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »

Apparently, trying to shake a wanted level while on a bike is the stupidest thing a human being can do in GTAIV.  It's like trying to enter a demolition derby while riding a tricycle....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 14, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 03:11:26 PM

Apparently, trying to shake a wanted level while on a bike is the stupidest thing a human being can do in GTAIV.  It's like trying to enter a demolition derby while riding a tricycle....

Aye...if I get caught on a bike, off to the alleyways I go.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2008, 03:07:47 PM

so, last night I finally found a race mission, but was also happy to find out it's not required for the main storyline  thumbsup

So far the optional race missions have been far, far easier than the mandatory race. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #987 on: May 14, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 14, 2008, 01:50:44 PM

Wow, I think I suck at this game. I can't get by "No Love Lost". . . .Is there a trick I am missing?

Have you already tried buying a stockpile of submachine gun ammo before you start?  If you're able to catch up to him in a car while he's still on the bike, you should be able to take him down pretty quick from shooting out the car window, and avoid the ganging up part entirely.

If he sucks on a bike, shooting while riding probably isn't gonig to work out. I agree with KG, once he pulls into the park, pick em off from range. remember click right stick to zoom in and aim for the head. After some practice, you could take em all out with a pistol before they take you down.

Also, body armor, find the ground spawns (or buy it, no idea how expensive it is) and always go into a mission with body armor!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

I could care less about the cost of a trip to the ER, but ammo is precious! It depends how much and what type of ammo I used up whether I reload or retry.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 14, 2008, 03:24:44 PM

I could care less about the cost of a trip to the ER, but ammo is precious! It depends how much and what type of ammo I used up whether I reload or retry.

I was just retrying the missions and calling LJ to replenish my ammo, but that changed once I passed Three Leaf Clover and my bank account started taking HUGE hits from mission failures.  Now, I'll usually replenish my health, armor and ammo before I try a mission.  That, and I'll save right before I try it, so if I fail it, I'm ready to go upon immediate reload.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 14, 2008, 03:23:07 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 14, 2008, 01:50:44 PM

If he sucks on a bike, shooting while riding probably isn't gonig to work out.

I was suggesting shooting while driving a car, which I think is a good deal easier than doing it on a bike.  The key, though, is whether JCC's tried the machine with the SMG.  You have to aim well for a long time with the pistol, but with the SMG you can take him off the bike with just 5-10 seconds of reasonably aimed spray & pray.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 14, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 14, 2008, 03:19:21 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2008, 03:07:47 PM

So far the optional race missions have been far, far easier than the mandatory race. 

looking through the walkthroughs on GameFAQs I haven't seen anything about a racing mission that is mandatory.  can you give me a spoiler on who you get it from?

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 14, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »

The mission No.1 from Brucie is, AFAIK, the only mandatory race

It's
Spoiler for Hiden:
the last Brucie mission where you have to pick the Comet up from his friend because Brucie's race car won't work
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »

Just in case you need another opinion, Zero Punctuation reviewed GTAIV this week.

He pretty much likes it, although he does put his unique, Yahtzee spin on the game. And apparently he hasn't figured out that for a date (or especially man-date) he can use a taxi to save time and opt out of the activity as soon as he starts it. Or maybe he's just being a bit bitchy (what, Yahtzee? No way... icon_wink)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:18:45 PM by Roscoe » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 14, 2008, 04:18:23 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 14, 2008, 04:13:54 PM

Just in case you need another opinion, Zero Tolerance reviewed GTAIV this week.

You mean Zero Punctuation?  slywink
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 14, 2008, 04:18:23 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on May 14, 2008, 04:13:54 PM

Just in case you need another opinion, Zero Tolerance reviewed GTAIV this week.

You mean Zero Punctuation?  slywink

Yes, I was just trying to be a bit clever, but alas there are *some* people on this forum who would miss the subtle sarcasm (not you though, rickfc  slywink) so I put back the correct title.

I always have to listen to his reviews a couple of times at least, just to catch everything. He is very entertaining.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 14, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 14, 2008, 04:20:06 PM

Yes, I was just trying to be a bit clever, but alas there are *some* people on this forum who would miss the subtle sarcasm (not you though, rickfc  slywink) so I put back the correct title.

Of course!  How could I have missed that???  I mean, it's so easy to spot sarcasm in the written word when not clearly stated!  How stupid of me...  Tongue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:19 PM »

Do you guys seriously have money issues in this game? After that bank robbery mission that I scored $250,000 out of I've never had to worry.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 14, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 14, 2008, 04:47:19 PM

Do you guys seriously have money issues in this game? After that bank robbery mission that I scored $250,000 out of I've never had to worry.

I worked hard for that money, and I ain't gonna waste it in the hospital!  I'm up close to 300k now.I want to amass a fortune.  MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 14, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 14, 2008, 04:47:19 PM

not really, I just hate the idea of dropping 15k to the hospital each time I die

also, I do like buying rockets and grenades all the time, which are like 5k and 1k a pop

<edit> plus there's an Achievement for amassing a certain amount of money, and Achievements are the most important thing
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: