http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:26:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73774 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 12, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 07:58:28 PM

Is there a way to earn some solid cash? I got arrested last night and lost all my guns. Buying those suckers back was expensive as hell and I'd rather not cheat until I get certain achievements the honest way. smile

Not other than completing missions, AFAIK.  Have you unlocked Little Jacob's special ability yet?

Spoiler for Hiden:
He'll sell you guns and ammo at a discount.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 12, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »

No I haven't, but that's because I didn't decide to buy a more violent version of The Sims. He's about 65% like towards me so I guess I have to boost that way up to unlock it, seen?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #922 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »

Is there a way to earn some solid cash? I got arrested last night and lost all my guns. Buying those suckers back was expensive as hell and I'd rather not cheat until I get certain achievements the honest way. smile

Three Leaf Clover mission will pay the bills for a LONG time when you get there, otherwise - find an armor ground spawn, pick a fight with cops and take their weapons, as it escalates they drop better weapons. biggrin NEVER be taken alive!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 12, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 08:08:01 PM

No I haven't, but that's because I didn't decide to buy a more violent version of The Sims. He's about 65% like towards me so I guess I have to boost that way up to unlock it, seen?

All you have to do is run a couple of more packages for him and take him out to eat or something.  Shouldn't take too long for him to call you and offer his services.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: May 12, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 12, 2008, 03:50:01 PM

Last night I got to Snow Storm. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
After hearing all the reports of its insane difficulty, I was really nervous heading into it.  Unfortunately, after I got the mission, I realized that I didn't have any armor on, and LJ wasn't answering his phone.  Since I haven't found any other armor source, I just headed in.  I got through the first section without much problem by just taking things very slowly.  Got into the last room and thought I was done, so I took off.  After a few blocks, I got out of the police radius, and then noticed that I had no new destination, and there was still a green dot in the hospital.

I headed back in and grabbed the bag, and the cops came storming in.  I had a few frustrating moments when a cop would charge me and Niko wouldn't get out of cover, screwing up my aiming.  Got through the rest of them by moving from cover to cover and going for headshots (that armor doesn't work so good on your face, lawboy!).  It didn't hurt that I was loaded for bear in the weapons department.

Got out and (not knowing about the boat) grabbed the truck, figuring it would be good for busting through cop cars.  It was a hairy chase, I got boxed against a few walls and took some dead-end turns, but I got out.  At one point, I think I had six or seven cop cars all crammed into a scrum as they tried to pin me, but I worked my way out, leaving them a tangled mess.

By the end, I was down to two tires and not much health.  I spent the rest of the mission paranoid that I was going to hit something and get killed before the autosave kicked in.  Fun mission, and not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I didn't even need to use my grenades.

I beat that one yesterday as well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
After I cleared the place of all the druggies, I got the coke and then just sat in that room under cover. I saw all the police dots on the radar approaching, but the plan was just to fight them all where they couldn't sneak up on me (as they did in a previous failure). One policeman made his way in, but all the rest kind of mulled around for a while and then moved to around back of the hospital. I guess that was technically closer to me, but there's no way in from the back. So I just ran through the front door, got in the truck and drove away with only 1 or 2 cops chasing me. Got to love dumb AI. Except when you have to protect people like in a later mission.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 12, 2008, 08:36:51 PM »

I sometimes hunt down the "Most Wanted" criminals off the police computer when I want some easy money and ammo.  So far, they've been ridiculously easy to kill.

But yeah, missions are really the way to go for cash.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:56 PM »

Snow Storm:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had very little trouble with this actually....though I did have a ton of fun.

Once I had the Duffle Bag 'o' Powder and the police decided to drop in....I went North Hollywood Shootout and battled my way back into and through the parking lot. The most intense gunfight yet...run to cover, shoot everyone between me and where I wanted cover next, rinse repeat. I fought my way to an Oracle that made for a nice getaway vehicle and off I went.

Granted, I always have LJ meet me somewhere on the way to a mission so I can stock up on ammo and insure I have some body armor. It sure helps. smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 12, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 12, 2008, 08:38:56 PM

Snow Storm:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had very little trouble with this actually....though I did have a ton of fun.

Once I had the Duffle Bag 'o' Powder and the police decided to drop in....I went North Hollywood Shootout and battled my way back into and through the parking lot. The most intense gunfight yet...run to cover, shoot everyone between me and where I wanted cover next, rinse repeat. I fought my way to an Oracle that made for a nice getaway vehicle and off I went.

Granted, I always have LJ meet me somewhere on the way to a mission so I can stock up on ammo and insure I have some body armor. It sure helps. smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
lol @ North Hollywood Shootout. Nice reference. I actually fought my way out and managed to survive somehow with barely any life, but the cop car I was in was destroyed. So I hop out and try to find a new car. The first one I try happens to be locked. So I bust out the window. A street cop three feet behind shouts at me to stop and I have a star to now lose. So I run because I'm an idiot. I try to hijack a car in motion and it hits me... taking the rest of my life and sending me to the hospital. The next time I hopped in the boat and fled. Lost the stars quickly then made it back to Jacob for mission over.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 12, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 12, 2008, 08:36:51 PM

I sometimes hunt down the "Most Wanted" criminals off the police computer when I want some easy money and ammo.  So far, they've been ridiculously easy to kill.

I like doing those for a change of pace, too.  Except the last one I tried

Spoiler for Hiden:
you come up to an alley and 3 guys on motorcycles come out and you have to kill them all before anyone gets away.

I need to come back to that one.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 12, 2008, 10:07:07 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
you come up to an alley and 3 guys on motorcycles come out and you have to kill them all before anyone gets away.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Approach coming from the North.  You should be able to down almost all of them as they exit the alleyway.  I got all but one that way and it wasn't too difficult to chase him down.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 12, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 12, 2008, 10:38:28 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 12, 2008, 10:07:07 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Approach coming from the North.  You should be able to down almost all of them as they exit the alleyway.  I got all but one that way and it wasn't too difficult to chase him down.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I find that for a lot of these you can park before you get to the target, you can usually snipe them a lot.  However, I have to wait on one until I get the rocket launcher.  You come to a junk yard or something and it is littered with baddies.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:10 AM »

And I'm done.  It's up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Fired it up for a few minutes tonight, and realized that I simply don't care about any of the characters or the overarching story.  No matter how good the gameplay is, a game is pretty much dead to me when I hit that point.  The repetition of the missions was starting to bore me, and with so many things to do, the game felt very scattered.  This has far more to do with my personal gaming preferences than GTA itself.  It's a testament to the solid design that it kept my interest for as long as it did, and I'm very glad I gave it a shot.  Put it in a different setting (see below), and I don't think I'd be able to tear myself away.  GTA IV is an incredible technical achievement, and I'll be interested to see if and how other developers are able to implement such a seamless world.  It truly is amazing.

GTA IV did lead to minor epiphany regarding my gaming tastes.  I tried to think back over the hundreds of games I've played, and think of one "realistic" game that I truly enjoyed.   Not a single game came to mind.  For me, playing a game needs to be a complete and total escape from reality.  If there is even a touch of the real world in a game, I completely lose interest.  Which would explain why I have never been able to get into any of the military FPS or RTS, the GTA games, real-world action titles (i.e. Splinter Cell, Max Payne, Stranglehold, etc.), or a multitude of other games.  If it doesn't have some element of the ridiculous, fantastic, or completely unbelievable, it just doesn't float my boat.  One of the big problems with GTA IV is that, in the end, I'm playing as a thug living in New York City.  Put that same thug and gameplay into Faerie, or Middle-Earth, or Westeros, or Ivalice, and it would keep my interest for hours on end. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 13, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 13, 2008, 12:25:10 AM

And I'm done.  It's up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Fired it up for a few minutes tonight, and realized that I simply don't care about any of the characters or the overarching story.  No matter how good the gameplay is, a game is pretty much dead to me when I hit that point.  The repetition of the missions was starting to bore me, and with so many things to do, the game felt very scattered.  This has far more to do with my personal gaming preferences than GTA itself.  It's a testament to the solid design that it kept my interest for as long as it did, and I'm very glad I gave it a shot.  Put it in a different setting (see below), and I don't think I'd be able to tear myself away.  GTA IV is an incredible technical achievement, and I'll be interested to see if and how other developers are able to implement such a seamless world.  It truly is amazing.

GTA IV did lead to minor epiphany regarding my gaming tastes.  I tried to think back over the hundreds of games I've played, and think of one "realistic" game that I truly enjoyed.   Not a single game came to mind.  For me, playing a game needs to be a complete and total escape from reality.  If there is even a touch of the real world in a game, I completely lose interest.  Which would explain why I have never been able to get into any of the military FPS or RTS, the GTA games, real-world action titles (i.e. Splinter Cell, Max Payne, Stranglehold, etc.), or a multitude of other games.  If it doesn't have some element of the ridiculous, fantastic, or completely unbelievable, it just doesn't float my boat.  One of the big problems with GTA IV is that, in the end, I'm playing as a thug living in New York City.  Put that same thug and gameplay into Faerie, or Middle-Earth, or Westeros, or Ivalice, and it would keep my interest for hours on end. 

+1!

jeez! - it's like you can read my mind! - & it's why metal gear solid's the only military-type series i can relate to - it's so fucked-up, it's impossible (on a certain level, anyway) to take seriously smile ...

still enjoying gta4 myself, but in bite-sized chunks. i'm very glad i've played it - it's undeniably impressive, technically - but, like yourself, cruising the mean streets of liberty city (or baghdad, or anywhere else on earth) just isn't my thing, gaming-wise...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 13, 2008, 01:32:13 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 12, 2008, 04:24:26 PM

For performance cars I prefer the Turismo over the Banshee- better handling IMO.  The Comet is nice too- I haven't seen one in the wild so I've been keeping the one you get as the "reward" for one mission. 

Turismo is definitely better than the Banshee...handles way better

Comet comes close to the Turismo...it has a faster straightaway speed, but the Turismo still handles better so it has the edge in races, since most of them have quite a few cornering sections
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:43 AM »

Heh, I can see you guys having car meetups in GTA multiplayer free mode.

"Alright guys, everyone bring their sports cars to the Burger Shot on 5th!  Remember, no shooting!"

I do think there's a kind of Uncanny Valley for gameplay as well as character graphics.  If you make the game look and feel realistic, and even make the plot realistic, people have much less tolerance for gamey mechanics that aren't hard simulations.

The games you mention get over this by having some very obvious fantastical or science fiction elements to them.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 13, 2008, 04:19:26 AM »

My feelings over this game are very strange, initially (once I got my 360 version 'cause the PS3 version wasn't upscaling correctly on my TV) I was enamoured by it. The characters, the dialogue, the city, the sounds, everything sucked me in and I dumped nearly 20 hours into the game within the first three days of release which I've never done before. After that I scaled back my time with the game and have been putting in 1-2 hours every day or so. At this point I'm a little over 30 hours in and 52% done and I'm actually starting to have the opposite reaction. I hate the graphics now, the further I've gotten into the game the more frequent the framerate dips and texture pop-in. Don't even get me started with the blurry textures and shadows, the game looks like a water color painting during the day. The Euphoria physics engine is actually kind of crummy, often times two objects that are supposed to be interacting with eachother don't actually make physical contact, like a guy hanging from the car door while I'm driving but he's actually a half a foot away from the car. The city is extremely inconsistent, my car will be damaged when I enter a building but when I come back out it's fully repaired, etc. The immersion level is nearly nonexistent for me now.

The story, characters, and missions themselves are beginning to drag. I'm at the point in the story where I'm dealing with members of the Italian mafia and they are simply not interesting whatsoever and highly generic. We hit our high points with the likes of LJ and Brucie. I even liked the Dwayne/Playboy X portion. Once you reach Packie things go down hill. I've lost interest in our protagonist's plight at this point. As far as multiplayer goes, I did a few matches with the GT crew but other than that I have no desire to go online and kill people.

I'm not saying the game gets bad but it definitely takes a steep downturn after such an exceptional start, of course IGN and all those reviewers scoring the game a perfect 10 didn't bother to mention it. Honestly, for those of you who are midway and further into the game, do you agree or disagree with me over this?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:21:37 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 13, 2008, 05:05:09 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 13, 2008, 04:19:26 AM

I'm not saying the game gets bad but it definitely takes a steep downturn after such an exceptional start, of course IGN and all those reviewers scoring the game a perfect 10 didn't bother to mention it. Honestly, for those of you who are midway and further into the game, do you agree or disagree with me over this?

I'm not quite to that point (I've got a couple of Packie missions under my belt and just got the initial Mafia contact) but I can't say I agree at all.  The immersion just hasn't wavered at all for me. It's still mind boggling the level of detail and scope they've incorporated into the game.  I "like" just about every new character introduced.  Yeah, LJ and Brucie are high points but Dwayne is pretty interesting and I like that he and Niko seem to have a bit deeper connection than he does with the others.  The McCreary clan is also of interest to me as well.  I'd say the low point as far as story and characters go has been the Bohan crew section (Manny and Elizabeta). 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: May 13, 2008, 05:16:05 AM »

Yeah, that area was beginning to drag, but I'm getting farther into the McReary line.  Also started dating the other women in-game.

As much as some character get stereotypical, it's often the interactions while going out that gives these characters more depth.  Likewise, becoming good friends with characters also nets benefits beyond just the perks you can call up.  They'll come in and support you through important story segments, which then also helps reveal their character.

Even I can see how the world is lacking in GTA4 in terms of things to do, but since I'm story and character oriented, I think I was hooked with GTA4 as soon as Roman stepped out of his car.  Character relationships are perhaps the biggest strength of GTA4, and the thing that sets it apart from other GTA or open world games.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 13, 2008, 05:33:53 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2008, 05:16:05 AM

Even I can see how the world is lacking in GTA4 in terms of things to do, but since I'm story and character oriented, I think I was hooked with GTA4 as soon as Roman stepped out of his car.  Character relationships are perhaps the biggest strength of GTA4, and the thing that sets it apart from other GTA or open world games.

Agreed.  After constantly bugging LJ to grab some ammo and a vest for every mission I actually felt bad that I hadn't "hooked up" with him in a while so I made sure to call him up the next time I was stomping around Broker even though I technically didn't need to since I had both his stats at 100%.  Those conversations on the way to whatever destination are really wonderfully written and go a long way toward getting you to empathize with what are some truly bad people. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 13, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 13, 2008, 04:19:26 AM

I beat the main game several days ago, and I would still rate GTA IV as a 10 overall

now that doesn't mean it's a perfect game of course...I think anyone who says a '10' has to be perfect is just flat out stupid.  it just means it's a great game that stands out in your mind

I somewhat agree with you, in that obviously you are not going to like every single character in the game.  that's about impossible when you have a game with so many *varied* characters.  I certainly liked Brucie, LJ, Michelle/ULP, better than...say the McCrearys.  that's cause they're all a bunch of scumbags, but I know some other people like them.  I liked a couple of the Mafia guys, but not all.  none of this makes the game bad by any means, it's more of a testament to all the different unique personalites.  just like real life (something Gratch hates I guess!)

as for your car complaint, I have absolute no clue what you're talking about on the issue of entering a building and the car is repaired.  you're not talking about the Pay N' Spray, are you?  lol.  if not, then I have never had what you described happen

there is some pop-in on the 360 versions, and it did seem to get slightly worse later in the game.  I don't know if that's the cache, or if that will always happen.  a little annoying, but nothing near serious.  framerate...I have never noticed terrible fps, even temporary bouts of it.  the game always seemed to run at 20-30 fps for me.  would have been nice if it was able to do 60, but that would be asking way too much out of all current gen hardware, with the scope and detail of GTA IV's city and setting
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 13, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »

You didn't like the McCreary's? Damn - Packie is my homeboy!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 13, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 12, 2008, 04:06:28 PM

Geez, yesterday, Three Leaf Clover kicked my ass.  I tried it three times before reloading my save game so I'd get all the ER money back and going on a few dates.  I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.  mad

Spoiler for Hiden:
I made it out of the subway and found a getaway car.  Ran to it without a care in the world, turned the corner and BAM shot by cop with a shotgun, game over.  I was so close to finish, now I have to do it all over again because I was being careless.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 13, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »

I'm actually really happy with the framerate.  It's certainly not perfect but it's by far the best framerate we've had from a GTA game on initial release.  I booted up GTA3 the other night and it was pretty much unplayable at like 15 fps.  Just awful- I'm not sure how I didn't notice at the time.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »

Quote from: CSL on May 13, 2008, 08:32:52 AM

hahah, I couldn't stand Packie
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 13, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »

ditto...Carmen, however, is a character I continually have to fight the urge to shoot in the face whenever I get in a car with them.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: May 13, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 13, 2008, 02:26:28 PM

hahah, I couldn't stand Packie

I've wanted to shoot Packie since the first cut scene with him.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 13, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 02:37:59 PM

ditto...Carmen, however, is a character I continually have to fight the urge to shoot in the face whenever I get in a car with them.

"Carmen has a lot of other men to see if you don't want to see her."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 13, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 02:37:59 PM

yeah, I hated Carmen...I couldn't stand to talk to her anymore after the first 10 seconds I met her
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 13, 2008, 03:01:12 PM »

I think I'm going to dump Carmen since her perk just doesn't seem to work worth a damn. 

Kiki, however, is absolutely worth keeping around. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 13, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »

I looked at the Carmen buff in my phone and it says health boost.  Maybe it makes your health last longer?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 13, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 13, 2008, 03:11:29 PM

I looked at the Carmen buff in my phone and it says health boost.  Maybe it makes your health last longer?

From what I am reading, people have only been able to get to work if they are not on a mission.  I don't know if that is a bug or if it is as designed.  I have tried it twice and nothing happened either time.  I know one time I did I was on a mission, but I can't recall the other time.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 13, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2008, 03:28:38 PM

From what I am reading, people have only been able to get to work if they are not on a mission.  I don't know if that is a bug or if it is as designed.  I have tried it twice and nothing happened either time.  I know one time I did I was on a mission, but I can't recall the other time.

I've tried it on mission and off multiple times and have never noticed anything changing. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 13, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 13, 2008, 12:46:30 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 12, 2008, 04:06:28 PM

Geez, yesterday, Three Leaf Clover kicked my ass.  I tried it three times before reloading my save game so I'd get all the ER money back and going on a few dates.  I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.  mad

Spoiler for Hiden:
I made it out of the subway and found a getaway car.  Ran to it without a care in the world, turned the corner and BAM shot by cop with a shotgun, game over.  I was so close to finish, now I have to do it all over again because I was being careless.

I finally fucking passed this mission last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think I tried it like 5 times.  The first 2 or so, I died in the subway, the 3rd and 4th, I died trying to get away.  Once I got a 2 door car, so Packie's brother couldn't get in and I accidentally left him behind.  I went back for him and got shot in the process.  4th time, my SUV died from getting rammed by too many cop cars, so I died trying to get another car.  The 5th time, I got into the SUV and called Kiki.  My wanted level was gone within 10 seconds and there was no need to outrun the cops.  biggrin  I've been abusing her special ability since.   icon_twisted

Kiki is one jealous bitch though.  Every time I go out with Carmen, I get a phone call after I'm done with the deed with Kiki screaming my head off about what I've been doing and what my new 'whore' has that she don't.   saywhat
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 13, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 13, 2008, 03:54:00 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2008, 03:28:38 PM

I've tried it on mission and off multiple times and have never noticed anything changing. 

There are posts out there that says its a bug, but nothing official that I can find.

You know what suddenly struck me as I was walking down the steps to my office?  GTAIV accurately models walking down steps.  It actually has annoyed me in-game because you always slow down when you hit steps, but I can't recall another game that has a realistic animation when walking down steps.  Is there?

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 13, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

Yesterday I got in about three hours of playing but completed only two missions (now at 56). I've been dating, doing guy things with Brucie, Packie and the others, and took a heli-tour. I'm reaching a nice balance between getting bored trying to do too many missions in a row and getting bored worrying about dates and man-dates.

As I have exceeded forty hours on GTA4 I really notice the changes from GTASA that make the game more enjoyable.
  • Fewer timed missions, at least so far
  • Auto aiming, with the option of the half-trigger free-aim. Simply brilliant
  • The "repeat this mission" email system. What's really useful about it is that you *don't* have to activate it right away. Sometimes after I die in a mission I take the time to get new armor or more ammo, then activate the email message.
  • Being able to use taxis and the instant travel option to eliminate travel time for most everything like dates and many missions.
  • Money not being an issue after the first few turns.
  • The wanted "circle" on the radar. Makes police chases more fun, since you are not just simply driving around endlessly hoping for the wanted level to drop or hunting for a safe house or spray shop
  • The fact that spray shops only work if the cops can't see you. In GTASA it was an easy escape to duck inside one, even if the entire people force of San Andreas was behind you.
  • Fewer safe houses, for the reason mentioned above. Make it's more of a challenge.
  • The whole phone thing. Being able to call folks when I want to, getting calls and messages, and having the organizer is cool.
  • The fact that the game recognizes the different days of the week, so events can be planned days ahead.
  • The car physics. I hated it at first, but I really notice the difference now between poorly handling cars and better ones. And I now feel rewarded when I drive well by the car doing what I want.
  • No damn airplane missions

Now there are changes that I don't classify as bad, but instead as different. Things like dropping the gym and body shaping, buying safe houses, tattoos, haircuts, things like that. I don't really miss them.

And things I wish were included from GTASA, but weren't? Hmm, I can't really say definitely there's a feature missing from one to the other that I truly miss. Well, maybe parachutes?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 13, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2008, 04:40:38 PM

You know what suddenly struck me as I was walking down the steps to my office?  GTAIV accurately models walking down steps.  It actually has annoyed me in-game because you always slow down when you hit steps, but I can't recall another game that has a realistic animation when walking down steps.  Is there?

too bad they don't let you take stairs two or more at a time when running up them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 13, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2008, 04:52:40 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2008, 04:40:38 PM

too bad they don't let you take stairs two or more at a time when running up them.

I usually jump and end up jumping up half the flight of stairs at a time.  biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 13, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 13, 2008, 04:43:17 PM

And things I wish were included from GTASA, but weren't? Hmm, I can't really say definitely there's a feature missing from one to the other that I truly miss. Well, maybe parachutes?

I kind of miss the stat increases- it would be cool, for example, if after running a whole lot in the game would improve Niko's run ability, etc.  I, too, would also like purchaseable safehouses.  I think GTA4's economy is fine in the context of the game- I tend to use a lot of it on medical care, ammo, vests, etc - but I wouldn't mind seeing an additional economic model that let me expand the "empire" a bit.  Maybe be able to purchase cars and boats and then have them delivered to whatever location I'm at (I understand Scarface does something similar). 

But, yeah, I agree that GTA4 generally made a decision in pruning some of the features from SA and just focusing on making the stuff they did include work really well.  San Andreas is truly amazing in the breadth of what it offers but one of my big problems with the game is that I thought the implementation of that multitude of features was pretty half-ass. 
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 13, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »

But yeah, missions are really the way to go for cash.

Do those missions (the police computer missions) actually pay?  Or do you just get the cash off the bad guys?  I've done a bunch of them, and I have not found them to be a reliable source of funds.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: May 13, 2008, 06:47:39 PM »

Say, do safehouses help with police chases?  Can you duck in one to avoid the police somehow?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: