http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:14:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 74454 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 09, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »

for those who like the Vladivostok radio station and can't get ZITS to work properly (it's only ever sent 2 of the songs I've tagged to the social club) just do a search for Vladivostok FM or Schweine on Amazon or iTunes and you should be able to find all of them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 09, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 09, 2008, 03:15:52 PM

for those who like the Vladivostok radio station and can't get ZITS to work properly (it's only ever sent 2 of the songs I've tagged to the social club) just do a search for Vladivostok FM or Schweine on Amazon or iTunes and you should be able to find all of them.

The marathon does seem to be finally working again, at least.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 09, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 09, 2008, 02:32:55 PM

I had a lot of trouble with the mission "Paper Trail".  So far that's the one that has taken me the most tries to finish.

That's the chopper shootdown, right?  I'm stuck on that after a ton of tries... even after watching a video walkthrough.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 09, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »

Dangit.  I love you guys but this forum is one of the worst when it comes to spoilers.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 09, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on May 09, 2008, 03:36:43 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 09, 2008, 02:32:55 PM

I had a lot of trouble with the mission "Paper Trail".  So far that's the one that has taken me the most tries to finish.

That's the chopper shootdown, right?  I'm stuck on that after a ton of tries... even after watching a video walkthrough.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yep that's the one.  Took me about 10 tries to catch the damn thing.  I can't fly that chopper for shit.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 09, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »

Re: Michelle (spoilers!):

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's a minor point but I don't think Rockstar should have credited her as Michelle/Karen in the credits in the manual.  I was glancing through the manual a few days ago to see if this one had any celebrities like VC and SA and noticed she was the only person billed this way.  It would have been less notable to credit them as two separate people with the same voice actress.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 09, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »

this looks to be a nice little walkthrough.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 09, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 09, 2008, 03:58:49 PM

Re: Michelle (spoilers!):

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's a minor point but I don't think Rockstar should have credited her as Michelle/Karen in the credits in the manual.  I was glancing through the manual a few days ago to see if this one had any celebrities like VC and SA and noticed she was the only person billed this way.  It would have been less notable to credit them as two separate people with the same voice actress.

Spoiler for Hiden:
it's scary-  her fake name was the same as the name of the girl from my first serious relationship, and her actual name is the same as my most recent ex.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:25:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »

Ceekay, you might want to spoiler that. 
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on May 09, 2008, 01:14:03 PM

when your missions done hits
Spoiler for Hiden:
your[sic] done with the game.

Hardly... I still have 197 pigeons to hunt down and kill.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 09, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 09, 2008, 04:23:51 PM

Quote from: WalkingFumble on May 09, 2008, 01:14:03 PM

when your missions done hits
Spoiler for Hiden:
your[sic] done with the game.

Hardly... I still have 197 pigeons to hunt down and kill.

i havent shot any yet...no,not because i love all living creatures...just because i will get to them when i have finished the main story,i have seen them about but not killed any so not to lose how many i have or have not killed

i think the spray painting was the best in san andreas,and it fitted in with the style of the games theme...but the shell/clam collecting was pretty dumb

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 10, 2008, 02:59:36 AM »

sigh...unfortunately i've progressed far enough into the game that i'm at the point where the missions go from moderately difficult to just plain frustrating for me.  i sure could use a difficulty slider on this one.   crybaby

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 10, 2008, 03:12:37 AM »

Ok guys, tonight the graphics finally clicked with me and I definitely like them more today than I did yesterday. The key was getting to sit back and watch someone else (my father-lin-law) play. I really was able to more fully appreciate the little details that really add up to make a nice looking experience. I fully recant my earlier "last gen" comments, although I *still* wouldn't call this among the best looking 360 games I have seen. Still, I do see where you all were coming from earlier. The GTA Kool-Aid tastes fine. smile

On another note, my father-in-law pretty much never stopped laughing whether he was mowing down harmless pedestrians or watching me do it. I enjoyed killing someone, waiting for an ambulance, jacking the ambulance, and then killing the paramedics. Sometimes the simple pleasures are the most satisfying. (Yes I need therapy.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 10, 2008, 03:31:08 AM »

Quote from: JCC on May 10, 2008, 03:12:37 AM

On another note, my father-in-law pretty much never stopped laughing whether he was mowing down harmless pedestrians or watching me do it. I enjoyed killing someone, waiting for an ambulance, jacking the ambulance, and then killing the paramedics. Sometimes the simple pleasures are the most satisfying. (Yes I need therapy.)

dang, you sickos!!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 10, 2008, 07:21:31 AM »

anyone else notice  that the helicopters can handle differently, even if you're flying the same class of helo?  tonight we were doing a race in Annihilators, and when we started I pressed forward on the thumbstick while hitting the right trigger and my helo proceeded to do a nosedive and flip over even though I had been flying just fine using the same method earlier.  After I respawned I tried it again and everything worked fine.  I also noticed the oddness with the tour helicopters in SP;  it's almost like there are 2 flight models and one is chosen randomly when you get in a helo.

Because I can,
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 10, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »

Question:

If you fail one of the Little Jacob delivery missions (say by getting caught by the cops after delivering the package) will you get to try it over?  It didn't give me the option to restart it via the phone the way it does for story missions and I would prefer not to reload, because that's a little cheesy, but I do want to complete all of those missions to get the achievement and to improve my standing with Jacob.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 10, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 10, 2008, 02:57:34 PM

Question:

If you fail one of the Little Jacob delivery missions (say by getting caught by the cops after delivering the package) will you get to try it over?  It didn't give me the option to restart it via the phone the way it does for story missions and I would prefer not to reload, because that's a little cheesy, but I do want to complete all of those missions to get the achievement and to improve my standing with Jacob.

Yeah should be the same one the next time you call him for a job.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 10, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »

The restart place for three leaf clover is stupid.  I mean c'mon don't make me drive all that way again.  BLECH!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 10, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 10, 2008, 06:05:35 PM

The restart place for three leaf clover is stupid.  I mean c'mon don't make me drive all that way again.  BLECH!

Yeah but the rest of that mission is SO AWESOME.

gellar
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 10, 2008, 06:40:57 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 10, 2008, 06:40:30 PM

gellar

Ok well I beat it now, so I am less upset Tongue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 10, 2008, 08:14:12 PM »

Now I'm kind of sorry I spent so much time early on working on my relationships, at about 30 hours into the game I'm ready to be finished with it yet I'm only at 60%  icon_neutral

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 11, 2008, 12:17:27 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 10, 2008, 06:40:57 PM

Quote from: gellar on May 10, 2008, 06:40:30 PM

gellar

Ok well I beat it now, so I am less upset Tongue

I stayed up till 2am local time, after getting up at 4:30am the day before, just because I wasn't going to quit playing until I beat that damn mission. I did, finally.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 11, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 10, 2008, 08:14:12 PM

Now I'm kind of sorry I spent so much time early on working on my relationships, at about 30 hours into the game I'm ready to be finished with it yet I'm only at 60%  icon_neutral

42 and a half hours into the game. 42% complete. Not that I'm complaining, I'm having a great time  nod

Best quote from the game lately: "You cannot go bowling with a wanted level". How true, how true...   icon_wink

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: May 11, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »

Yeah, but I played pool with a wanted level.  I was with Roman at the time and cops were hanging out side looking for me while we played pool.  When the game was over I casually got in my car and dropped that wanted level.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 11, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

only a few hours in at this point, &, tho i'm not really sold on the game at this point, i'm already owing rockstar big-time: i really, really, really <3 glukoza!!! smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 11, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 11, 2008, 06:04:55 PM

i'm already owing rockstar big-time: i really, really, really <3 glukoza!!! smile ...

the end of that video is hilarious!

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 11, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »

19.99% complete and I think I'm done.  Another super-hyped sequel of the worst-offending MOTS franchises out there.

TheMissingLink on PSN
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 11, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on May 11, 2008, 06:22:09 PM

19.99% complete and I think I'm done.  Another super-hyped sequel of the worst-offending MOTS franchises out there.

best game of the year so far!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 11, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »

I got my first certificate on the rock star social club; a bronze cert for 20% of the public transport.

Absolutely love this game, so much fun!!
madman
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 11, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »

I personally think the graphics are great, and look better in HD.  It seems all the time has been spent on the graphics and little to build up the depth of game world I enjoyed with GTA-SA. 

You can't: insult padestrians, do BMX trials, pump iron, cut hair, drive trains, fly planes, dive underwater, gamble, wander into the countryside etc etc.  I could go on all day about features lost which made the game world more enjoyable outside the missions. icon_frown

I wish they'd made the game with programmable controls - as I hate the two settings provided. icon_mad

If anything there should be more dialogue and interaction.  I can walk around in silence for a week with a mate or girlfriend at my side, and they won't comment or do anything.  We don't even get to 'see' dates taking place; I walk into a bar; I come out drunk.  Where are the drinking games?  The chat-up lines?  Questioning poeple about what I should do next?  I have a TV in my room, but no way to download shared videos or record some of my favourite stunts.  I have a radio, but can't download my favourite tracks onto the hard drive and play them in game - negotiating the heap of no-name artists in the game. 

The voice acting is good - dispite no Samual L Jacksons - but there is no way to increase the volume of the voices - which are often drowned out on my system by trains, police sirens, music, until I can't hear them - especially Little Jacob. In any case, it would have been nice to be able to turn down the crashing and shooting effects and turn up the background noises so that I can play louder late at night.

I suppose the worst feature for me (appart from the weird false 3D effect when panning the camera up and down) would be the lack of first person mode.  OK, I know this is no MOH or Farcry, but a simple re-positioning of the camera just in front of the characters face would have made all the difference. Even the in car view doesn't let me see who is in the passenger seat - which I need to know if I'm to take off in a hurry with a girlfriend in tow. 

Arrgg...

I feel better now...

...Keep taking the pills...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:02:17 PM by madman » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 11, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 11, 2008, 06:32:14 PM

i agree(GOTY),but part of that reason is because 2008 has not been anywhere near the class that was 2007 for video games,i think 2007 will be the greatest year for me and video games for a long time to come(and part to the fact that i got made redundant so had 3 months off work and the money to buy nearly every video game that came out in that period!!!.....Ahh,they were the days)..this year has some great titles out....but not enough to shade out 2007,and my summer of love(apart from Call of Jaurez<<biggest dissapointment)

i am about 57% and have about 40 or so hrs,and i still have a lot to do

knowing that the 1st lot of DLC comes in Autumn(fall) is good,as i may just be needing something new for the game by then...but then again,Autumn(again...fall) lasts until december 20th...unless you are Irish,ends halloween there for some reason
 retard

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 11, 2008, 10:13:05 PM »

Am I missing something?  I feel like I've done way more than 10 delivery missions for LJ, but I havent gotten the achievement.  They seem to be repeating.  What gives homey?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 11, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »

if true, then it's just one more reason to be looking forward to mgs4 for me smile ...

i'm trying to give it a chance. i'm enjoying the story so far, i like nico & the supporting cast, & i'm impressed with the technical aspects & much of the peripheral stuff... but i'm already tired of the driving - the reason i've stayed away from the franchise - & not really seeing the awesomeness yet...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 11, 2008, 11:14:06 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 11, 2008, 10:13:05 PM

Am I missing something?  I feel like I've done way more than 10 delivery missions for LJ, but I havent gotten the achievement.  They seem to be repeating.  What gives homey?

I did the ten misions, got the achievement, and LJ called to say that he didn't have any more missions from me.  You'll know the last one because there will be a much nicer vehicle in place of the junkers you usually get. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:59 AM »

Wow.    I haven't played a game this good in a decade -- and I really didn't care for the previous GTA's that much.     

Not sure what you are seeing....perhaps GTA burnout?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 12, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 11, 2008, 10:47:02 PM

if true, then it's just one more reason to be looking forward to mgs4 for me smile ...

i'm trying to give it a chance. i'm enjoying the story so far, i like nico & the supporting cast, & i'm impressed with the technical aspects & much of the peripheral stuff... but i'm already tired of the driving - the reason i've stayed away from the franchise - & not really seeing the awesomeness yet...

I haven't driven to missions since the first moment I could take a cab.   Hell I take a cab on the missions I'm allowed to even.    Sure there are some chase scenes and stuff where you have to drive, but I even take cabs on dates so it doesn't make it unbearable when I do have to drive.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 12, 2008, 12:58:55 AM »

No kidding. I try to take cabs everywhere. Beats the hell out of driving from one end of the earth to the other every single time. If I had a major knock against this it's that it doesn't appear that you can buy multiple safe houses nor can you store multiple vehicles. These are two things that would be extremely helpful and if you get them in the long run that's awesome. It seems that three safehouses per island would be great - one at both ends and one in the middle. I'd also like to store the specialty cars. I got the one from Jacob after you complete his missions and parked it behind  one I was saving at my other safe house. Naturally it was carjacked. finger

Oh well.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 12, 2008, 01:22:18 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 12, 2008, 12:27:23 AM

I haven't driven to missions since the first moment I could take a cab.   Hell I take a cab on the missions I'm allowed to even.    Sure there are some chase scenes and stuff where you have to drive, but I even take cabs on dates so it doesn't make it unbearable when I do have to drive.

d'oh! - thanks! smile ...

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 12, 2008, 01:25:19 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 12:58:55 AM

If I had a major knock against this it's that it doesn't appear that you can buy multiple safe houses nor can you store multiple vehicles.

??  I currently have two Algonquin safehouses, each of which will store ~3 cars out front in the reserved parking spaces.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 12, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 12, 2008, 01:25:19 AM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 12:58:55 AM

If I had a major knock against this it's that it doesn't appear that you can buy multiple safe houses nor can you store multiple vehicles.

??  I currently have two Algonquin safehouses, each of which will store ~3 cars out front in the reserved parking spaces.

Then obviously I'm not to that point just yet. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: