http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:16:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 72999 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 07, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 07, 2008, 05:58:18 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2008, 05:56:53 PM

Quote from: JCC on May 07, 2008, 05:46:05 PM

I got a little time in this last night, and it seems pretty fun so far.

While this is the best looking GTA game so far that I've seen, I definitely think the graphics are disappointing. In fact, I am hard pressed to come up with any 360 game that doesn't look better. This looks like launch quality or maybe even last gen graphics to me. Having said that, vehicular homicide has never looked quite so good as the animations are quite nice. Nico seems like an interesting protagonist. Aside from the sub-par graphics, thumbs up so far from me.

Drive in first person view.  It really brings out the stunning level of detail.  I'll be shocked if you don't eventually change your mind. 

I have a really hard time driving in first-person mode.  It certainly looks better, but I find that I smash/destroy/run over far more unnecessary things in that view.

Yeah I tried on Kevin's rec, but I just didn't like it as much as the default view.  Plus, I kind of like seeing the vehicle.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 07, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 07, 2008, 06:09:40 PM

Drive in first person view.  It really brings out the stunning level of detail.  I'll be shocked if you don't eventually change your mind. 

I'll certainly try that, but that won't help the graphics when I am out on foot! smile

Eh, a lot of what makes GTA4 impressive is the scope and you just won't get that in the intial areas.  I wasn't bowled over by the graphics initially (though calling it last gen is ludicrous IMO) either but after switching to first person driving and seeing the full of what Liberty City had to offer on just the first island I was pretty much converted. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 07, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 04:41:38 PM

Quote from: disarm on May 07, 2008, 04:35:09 PM

reached the 'Snow Storm' mission last night and passed on my second try...didn't really think it was that difficult.  i screwed up the first attempt just because i didn't pay attention to the route to get outside, but i sprinted right to a waiting truck on the second try.  holy crap what a twist in the story after that mission though.  i followed it up with Elizabeta's next mission, and the plot twists involved with both of those are great.  i think that's the first time a GTA game has ever made me feel a little bad for one of the characters...

That's the old hospital mission, right? 
Spoiler for Hiden:
It took me just one try because I read somewhere in the last page, I think, about a speedboat.  smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
Are you referring to Michelle turning into a fed, Manny and his camera-dude getting popped and taking their bodies to the "doctor"?  Man, I did that last night, and I was blown away at how awesome the story has been so far!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had a real strong feeling that something was gonna happen to Manny in that scene...although the camera man caught me off guard.  I was annoyed with his BS though, so I welcomed it.

I tell you what though, I hate Packie, I want to shoot him in the face right now.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 07, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »

I'll certainly try that, but that won't help the graphics when I am out on foot! smile

just drive everywhere.  going up the stairs to your safehouse?  steal a bike and drive up.  order hot dogs from your car.  drive real slow alongside your date when socializing.  eventually your game legs will atrophy and you'll only be able to navigate the city in a vehicle.  it's at that moment you'll realize art really DOES imitate life!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2008, 06:16:02 PM

Eh, a lot of what makes GTA4 impressive is the scope and you just won't get that in the intial areas.  I wasn't bowled over by the graphics initially (though calling it last gen is ludicrous IMO) either but after switching to first person driving and seeing the full of what Liberty City had to offer on just the first island I was pretty much converted. 

+1.  I'd like to see a last gen title that looked as good.  I will admit that the graphics aren't earth-shattering, but like Kevin said, it's also about the scope and presentation.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 07, 2008, 06:19:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 07, 2008, 06:16:43 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 04:41:38 PM

Quote from: disarm on May 07, 2008, 04:35:09 PM

reached the 'Snow Storm' mission last night and passed on my second try...didn't really think it was that difficult.  i screwed up the first attempt just because i didn't pay attention to the route to get outside, but i sprinted right to a waiting truck on the second try.  holy crap what a twist in the story after that mission though.  i followed it up with Elizabeta's next mission, and the plot twists involved with both of those are great.  i think that's the first time a GTA game has ever made me feel a little bad for one of the characters...

That's the old hospital mission, right? 
Spoiler for Hiden:
It took me just one try because I read somewhere in the last page, I think, about a speedboat.  smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
Are you referring to Michelle turning into a fed, Manny and his camera-dude getting popped and taking their bodies to the "doctor"?  Man, I did that last night, and I was blown away at how awesome the story has been so far!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had a real strong feeling that something was gonna happen to Manny in that scene...although the camera man caught me off guard.  I was annoyed with his BS though, so I welcomed it.

I tell you what though, I hate Packie, I want to shoot him in the face right now.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's the dude that you worked with on the drug deal with LCPD, right?  I haven't been out his way yet, but he already called me.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 07, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »

Eh, a lot of what makes GTA4 impressive is the scope and you just won't get that in the intial areas.  I wasn't bowled over by the graphics initially (though calling it last gen is ludicrous IMO)

I agree...I think JCC's comment is totally ridiculous and wrong, but that's his opinion I guess.  GTA IV is one of the best looking console games, period
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 07, 2008, 06:25:37 PM

Eh, a lot of what makes GTA4 impressive is the scope and you just won't get that in the intial areas.  I wasn't bowled over by the graphics initially (though calling it last gen is ludicrous IMO)

I agree...I think JCC's comment is totally ridiculous and wrong, but that's his opinion I guess.  GTA IV is one of the best looking console games, period

Yup, get in a helicopter and fly around at night. You can't say that looks like crap unless you're a blind person with another blind person describing what you should both be seeing.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 07, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »

I never said they were ugly, just disappointing and "...maybe last gen". For instance, I think the character models, particularly the heads are very unimpressive. Half Life 2 has much better looking heads and facial animations and it is 3 1/2 years old. I also think most of the rooms and buildings look pretty blocky and unrealistic. I'll definitely reevaluate the next time I play, but this is the first time I played a 360 game and wondered why they didn't make a Wii port since I doubt the graphical sacrifice would be too severe. I'll let you know what I think after driving around in 1st person mode.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 07, 2008, 06:46:48 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 07, 2008, 06:44:47 PM

I never said they were ugly, just disappointing and "...maybe last gen". For instance, I think the character models, particularly the heads are very unimpressive. Half Life 2 has much better looking heads and facial animations and it is 3 1/2 years old. I also think most of the rooms and buildings look pretty blocky and unrealistic. I'll definitely reevaluate the next time I play, but this is the first time I played a 360 game and wondered why they didn't make a Wii port since I doubt the graphical sacrifice would be too severe

LOL.....umm, I'm going to guess you don't know too much about graphical programming, because the Wii comment is so utterly and laughably wrong
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 07, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »

GTAIV on a wii?  i'd imagine that would work as well as running Windows Vista on a Palm Pilot...

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 07, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »

I'll definitely reevaluate the next time I play, but this is the first time I played a 360 game and wondered why they didn't make a Wii port since I doubt the graphical sacrifice would be too severe.

eek
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »

FWIW, I agree that the interiors aren't anything special and the quality of the cutscenes definitely owes more to the animation, writing, and voice acting than their graphics.  But both of those aspects are probably 5% of the GTA playtime (if that). 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 07, 2008, 06:55:38 PM »

I'll definitely reevaluate the next time I play, but this is the first time I played a 360 game and wondered why they didn't make a Wii port since I doubt the graphical sacrifice would be too severe.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of TV are you looking at the game on?  I concede that they're not the greatest graphics of this generation, the Wii is nowhere near being able to achieve them.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 07, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 06:55:38 PM

Just out of curiosity, what kind of TV are you looking at the game on?  I concede that they're not the greatest graphics of this generation, the Wii is nowhere near being able to achieve them.

My consoles are hooked up to a 50" Panasonic plasma (720p). The only issue I think the wii would have trouble with (aside from downrezzing to 480p) would be so many moving things (mainly people) on the screen at once. But, I hate to start a huge debate about this since I have probably put less than two hours into the game so far. Given the vehemency with which I am being disagreed with, I definitely want to reevaluate the graphics.

-John

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 07, 2008, 07:02:15 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 07, 2008, 07:00:27 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 06:55:38 PM

Given the vehemency with which I am being disagreed with, I definitely want to reevaluate the graphics.

Don't worry, you probably just got the same version that Harkonis got.  It's undocumented, but there are apparently two different versions of the game with either awesome or asstastic visuals.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 07, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »

I definitely want to reevaluate the graphics.

I think the graphics will grow on you, especially after you get more than 2 hours of gameplay in.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 07, 2008, 07:06:34 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 07:05:29 PM

I think the graphics will grow on you, especially after you get more than 2 hours of gameplay in.

Yeah they definitely grew on me.  I was not impressed in the least when I first powered it up, but I am really enjoying the visuals now.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 07, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 07, 2008, 07:06:34 PM

Yeah they definitely grew on me.  I was not impressed in the least when I first powered it up, but I am really enjoying the visuals now.

Fair enough. I look forward to imbibing the GTA IV Kool-Aid. (I loved the graphics. They are much better than Cats. I want to play it again and again. I loved the graphics. They are much better than Cats. I want to play it again and again....)

smile

-John

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 07, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »

What kind of clothes do you guys have Niko wear?  I tried the suit with no tie for a bit, but I am back to the starter leather jacket, jeans, and sneakers.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 07, 2008, 07:06:34 PM

For me, it's not about. OMG REAL LIKE GRAPHICS!!! The amount of detail in the graphics is what is truly amazing. You take that copter at night and suddenly the streets are alive with white and red dots of head and tail lights. Buildings light up the night sky and bridges come to life. This city is HUGE, like really huge. The fact that everything is so finely combed over is freakin sweet. I can't fathom how many man hours was spent detailing this city up.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 07, 2008, 07:12:43 PM

What kind of clothes do you guys have Niko wear?  I tried the suit with no tie for a bit, but I am back to the starter leather jacket, jeans, and sneakers.

Suit right now.  Funny thing is, there's a mission where you need to get a job interview, and the dude is telling me I need to get a suit even though I was standing in front of him in a suit.  Tongue
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 07, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »

Sorry, but the Wii just couldn't even come close to cutting it.

GTA IV isn't very 'in-your-face' with graphical prowess...but there are so many subtle goodies in the visuals that I'd go as far as to say it's way ahead of HL2, considering the scale. Rainstorm? You'll have water beading on your car...until you start driving and it runs off.  Cool night? Storm drains steam...breath condences. The lighting and shadowing is quite impressive too...down to running over a streetlamp causes it to go out. It's all of the little things that wouldn't normally catch your eye...but when it does, you realise just how much detail there is.

Pay Attention! biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 07, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 07, 2008, 07:14:27 PM

For me, it's not about. OMG REAL LIKE GRAPHICS!!! The amount of detail in the graphics is what is truly amazing. You take that copter at night and suddenly the streets are alive with white and red dots of head and tail lights. Buildings light up the night sky and bridges come to life. This city is HUGE, like really huge. The fact that everything is so finely combed over is freakin sweet. I can't fathom how many man hours was spent detailing this city up.

The lighting and weather engine is pretty amazing too but that's another thing that's really only apparent after you see the city under all of the various conditions. 

For most of the game I've really liked the blue jacket, jeans, boots combo.  With glasses- I think the glasses are a fantastic touch though I'm a bit frustrated that they seem to break so easily so I end up back at the store frequently buying more.

I just unlocked some nicer clothing shops and I've kind of settled on a double breasted grey suit with black turtleneck as a good look.  I tried out some of the suit and tie combos but they didn't really look right to me.  Though Niko looks a bit out of place in snazzy clothes in some of the environments he goes in so I might switch back to the jacket and jeans. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 07:14:31 PM

Suit right now.  Funny thing is, there's a mission where you need to get a job interview, and the dude is telling me I need to get a suit even though I was standing in front of him in a suit.  Tongue

did you have dress shoes?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 07, 2008, 07:27:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 07, 2008, 07:26:06 PM

Yup.  I know how to wear clothes, thank you very much.  biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 07, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »

right now i have got the clothes that the GTA3 lead wears...the clothes are unlockable by...

Spoiler for Hiden:
killing Playboy X(when the time comes),and getting his penthouse loft as a safehouse and then raiding his wardrobe

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 07, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

smoke but this is the first time I played a 360 game and wondered why they didn't make a Wii port since I doubt the graphical sacrifice would be too severe. smoke

Pass that Dutch over here bro...

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 07, 2008, 07:47:04 PM

right now i have got the clothes that the GTA3 lead wears...the clothes are unlockable by...

Spoiler for Hiden:
killing Playboy X(when the time comes),and getting his penthouse loft as a safehouse and then raiding his wardrobe

Spoiler for Hiden:
Oh snap I didn't know you could raid his wardrobe
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 07, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 07, 2008, 07:26:06 PM

ha...i forgot to wear those and got rejected on that mission at first.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 07, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »

If they got rid of the blur effect I'd be a happy camper, at night the game looks great but during the day the textures can become so fucking blurry. The PC version is definately going to be the ultimate version, a much higher resolution should do wonders to overcome the blur effect.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 07, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

I need help with the mission Tunnel of Death. How in the heck do I lose my wanted level in a truck?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 07, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 07, 2008, 09:23:34 PM

I need help with the mission Tunnel of Death. How in the heck do I lose my wanted level in a truck?

you just have to pay attention to the minimap while driving, and make turns whenever you see a new red dot coming from ahead of you

other than that, I didn't do anything special on that mission
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 07, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »

We are now a week and a day into my ownership of the game and still, freezing within 15 seconds.

I'm not being allowed to return my game to get my $60 back, and the same goes for exchanges. Gamestop will gladly give me $27 in cash for it.

Rockstar and T2 have both told me "we will get back to you with a solution when we have one" in support emails.

I'm not very happy, at all.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 07, 2008, 09:59:12 PM »

Quote from: Magic on May 07, 2008, 09:56:35 PM

We are now a week and a day into my ownership of the game and still, freezing within 15 seconds.

I'm not being allowed to return my game to get my $60 back, and the same goes for exchanges. Gamestop will gladly give me $27 in cash for it.

Rockstar and T2 have both told me "we will get back to you with a solution when we have one" in support emails.

Is this the 360 or PS3 version?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 07, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »

Did you  try disconnecting from Live?  I know it's more a PS3 issue but it's worth a shot on the 360. 

Barring that, I'm guessing that you might be seeing early symptoms of your 360 dying. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 07, 2008, 10:20:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2008, 10:08:25 PM

Did you  try disconnecting from Live?  I know it's more a PS3 issue but it's worth a shot on the 360. 

Barring that, I'm guessing that you might be seeing early symptoms of your 360 dying. 

yeah, I seriously doubt it's Rockstar's or Take-Two's fault...have you tried the disc on someone's else's 360?  I bet it's a faulty 360 more than a faulty game disc
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 08, 2008, 01:58:12 AM »

Given that the 360 is less than five months old (well, a 10/07 manufacture date) and I've put in plenty of gaming with no other issues across the rest of my 360 library, i'm doubting that's the case. So much so that Microsoft themselves won't take the console back to repair an issue that is only there for one game.

Rockstar/T2 have acknowledged to me that there's a freezing issue that they're working on.

I've spent four hours with Rock Band and another couple in Forza over the last couple of days with not an issue. I spent three hours tonight playing co-op Gears of War with a buddy.

We try GTA again, just for shits and giggles, and it locks up in the intro, just as the GTA4 logo appears.

I've disconnected the HDD, Live, all wired controllers, played in SD and HD outputs, used wired controllers, you name it. I've eliminated the chance of having a bad disc, as I'm on my fourth. MS themselves doubt that it's a hardware issue as there's not excessive fan noise, drive rattle, error codes or status lights.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 08, 2008, 02:54:01 AM »

I'm sure you did looking at the list of items, but did you clear the cache on the hard drive?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 08, 2008, 03:26:53 AM »

Quote from: Magic on May 08, 2008, 01:58:12 AM

Given that the 360 is less than five months old (well, a 10/07 manufacture date) and I've put in plenty of gaming with no other issues across the rest of my 360 library, i'm doubting that's the case. So much so that Microsoft themselves won't take the console back to repair an issue that is only there for one game.

Rockstar/T2 have acknowledged to me that there's a freezing issue that they're working on.

I've spent four hours with Rock Band and another couple in Forza over the last couple of days with not an issue. I spent three hours tonight playing co-op Gears of War with a buddy.

We try GTA again, just for shits and giggles, and it locks up in the intro, just as the GTA4 logo appears.

I've disconnected the HDD, Live, all wired controllers, played in SD and HD outputs, used wired controllers, you name it. I've eliminated the chance of having a bad disc, as I'm on my fourth. MS themselves doubt that it's a hardware issue as there's not excessive fan noise, drive rattle, error codes or status lights.

Try unplugging the controls for rockband then load it up.  I can't remember where I read it, but someone else was having freezing problems and when he unplugged the rockband gear he didn't have any problems.

**Sorry once I saw that you mentioned rock band i didn't read the rest of your post.  **
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: