http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 04:35:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73535 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 06, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 06, 2008, 02:38:24 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 06, 2008, 02:36:56 PM

I've also noticed that every once and awhile I'll get the symbol showing that my relationship with Little Jacob has gone down even though I don't have anything scheduled with him.

That means you've ignored him for too long and hurt his feelings.

Yeah, I got that with Roman this morning while driving to the safehouse to save.  The last time he called, I was already on my way to hang with Little Jacob.

BTW, is it just me, or is Brucie one of the funniest characters ever in a videogame?  I laugh out loud every single time I either talk to him on the phone or in person.  biggrin
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 06, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »

rickfc, you're genetically different.  You're an alpha!  An alpha, man!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 06, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

Dwayne and X

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well I originally killed Dwayne, but then X punked me and all I got was some money, so I went online to see what happens if you kill X and I saw Dwayne not only gives you X's pad as a safehouse, but he also becomes a friend who can help you out if you get high enough rep.  So I reloaded my game and killed X instead and he was a bitch about it when I showed up. 

EDIT: cleaned up miserable spelling
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:54:02 PM by leo8877 » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 06, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »

I've also noticed that every once and awhile I'll get the symbol showing that my relationship with Little Jacob has gone down even though I don't have anything scheduled with him.

I never pegged him as being needy.  I did crack up the first time I picked him up-  I thought I had damaged my car too much when it started smoking, but the smoke wasn't from the car.   At least he loved Cluckin' Bell.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 06, 2008, 02:56:31 PM

I never pegged him as being needy.  I did crack up the first time I picked him up-  I thought I had damaged my car too much when it started smoking, but the smoke wasn't from the car.   At least he loved Cluckin' Bell.

All the characters are "needy" The developers have talked about the need to foster relationships in this game.  I think I already posted this somewhere else, but you need to continuously weave "Quality Time" with all your friends in between all the missions. The unclear part is how much time can pass before you need to get with each of them.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, you always want to say yes to their invites and then if you can't make it just call them right back and tell them. This has much less of a negative effect then either ignoring them or not showing up. Just remember to call them as soon as possible after you are finished doing whatever you were doing because a phone call is an indicator that enough time has passed and you need to hang with them.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #685 on: May 06, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on May 06, 2008, 03:38:26 PM

All the characters are "needy" The developers have talked about the need to foster relationships in this game.  I think I already posted this somewhere else, but you need to continuously weave "Quality Time" with all your friends in between all the missions. The unclear part is how much time can pass before you need to get with each of them.

I've been going with them when it's convenient. I've never used any of their services so I don't know what I'm missing. I think the dates are an annoying distraction.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: May 06, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 06, 2008, 01:24:50 PM

Faced my first absolute killer mission, "Snow Storm" I think it's called, anyway, takes placed in an abandoned hospital.  Ran through several times before I had to break down and look in my strategy guide since I didn't have a clue on how to beat it. Did beat it after that.

that mission was singled out in one review as being the toughest and most irritating.

Completed Snow Storm on the first try without breaking a sweat. I'm not even sure what's supposed to be difficult about it. Three Leaf Clover, on the other hand, took a couple of tries. That was a damn mess.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 06, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

So far, I've only used Jacob's perk once, and only for body armor after I failed a mission.  I can see myself restocking my armor fairly frequently from here on out though.  Brucie's kind of a pain on the first island, because it seems like all the available places are too low-brow for him.  Now that I've got Algonquin open, I'm going to try taking him to some of the nicer places and see if I can get his rating higher a bit quicker.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 06, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 06, 2008, 03:49:34 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on May 06, 2008, 01:24:50 PM

Faced my first absolute killer mission, "Snow Storm" I think it's called, anyway, takes placed in an abandoned hospital.  Ran through several times before I had to break down and look in my strategy guide since I didn't have a clue on how to beat it. Did beat it after that.

that mission was singled out in one review as being the toughest and most irritating.

Completed Snow Storm on the first try without breaking a sweat. I'm not even sure what's supposed to be difficult about it. Three Leaf Clover, on the other hand, took a couple of tries. That was a damn mess.

Spoiler for Hiden:
for me it was the 2,305 police cars that came out of nowhere to block me from even leaving the scene if i managed to get out of the building with at least a sliver of my health bar left.  i finally read a spoiler on it and they noted that a speedboat was strategically placed outside the main doorway of the old hospital so I made like Sonny on Miami Vice and just hopped over the breaker wall, landed in the boat, and then sped away with minimal confrontation.  easy as pie.   icon_biggrin 

hey, how are you guys getting people like jacob and brucie to join you on missions?  i've got a pretty high "like" and "respect" rating with both.  do i need to just call them while on a mission?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 06, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »

Brucie rules.  That is all.

gellar
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: May 06, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 06, 2008, 04:06:12 PM

Brucie rules.  That is all.

gellar

It is because he's an Alpha.  biggrin

oh, and not a chubby-chaser
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 06, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 06, 2008, 03:59:59 PM

So far, I've only used Jacob's perk once, and only for body armor after I failed a mission.  I can see myself restocking my armor fairly frequently from here on out though.  Brucie's kind of a pain on the first island, because it seems like all the available places are too low-brow for him.  Now that I've got Algonquin open, I'm going to try taking him to some of the nicer places and see if I can get his rating higher a bit quicker.

hmmm.. I don't think I have a perk for Jacob, and last time I checked his respect was 80%.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »

For perks you need to get "like" at, I think, 75%.  Not sure what level respect has to be. 

"Man dates" seem to play more heavily toward the "like" factor but I think you get some for doing missions for them as well.  I got Brucie's stats high just off of doing his side missions and only had to take him on two man dates (one of which he didn't seem to enjoy much) to unlock his perk. 
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 06, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »

Although I was getting a bit burned out on the mainline missions I'm still really enjoying the game. I will agree with the reviews that that pointed out that where in GTASA the people on the street and many of the objects in the game had a bit of a cartoony feel to them, in GTA4 they seem so much closer to real, even if some of them are designed as parodies. For instance, the counter girl at the first Tw@ internet cafe is very normal and I have very little trouble suppressing an instinct to shoot her just out of curiosity  icon_wink.

Another aspect are the cars. They seem much more real than in GTASA (aside from their handling of course). I probably would have more missions completed at this point in game time but I'm still enjoying driving everywhere.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 06, 2008, 04:54:46 PM »

The one thing that I dislike (and it'a a minor dislike) is the walking controls.  Has anyone tried any of the alternate control schemes, and is there a way to make the walking controls more like the older games?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 06, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 06, 2008, 04:54:46 PM

The one thing that I dislike (and it'a a minor dislike) is the walking controls.  Has anyone tried any of the alternate control schemes, and is there a way to make the walking controls more like the older games?

I know there are a few alternative controller configurations in the options menu, but personally I despised the previous GTA controls so I definitely would not want to go back.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 06, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »

Yeah, I don't have any problems with the on-foot controls.  I do occasionally have issues with the on-foot camera and how it handles tight spaces and dramatic turns but I can't imagine a different control configuration would help that. 
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 06, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »

OK, I reeeeeally suck at this game.  I cannot get past the damn Russian Revolution mission.  I keep getting shot to hell.  WHoever thought haf baked cover controls means facing 35 freaking guys all specifically placed to put you in a crossfire was fun needs to be slapped.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 06, 2008, 05:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on May 06, 2008, 05:45:44 PM

OK, I reeeeeally suck at this game.  I cannot get past the damn Russian Revolution mission.  I keep getting shot to hell.  WHoever thought haf baked cover controls means facing 35 freaking guys all specifically placed to put you in a crossfire was fun needs to be slapped.

Is Little Jacob helping you?  That makes the mission pretty much a breeze.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 06, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 05:49:12 PM

Is it possible that he doesn't help you?  I was wondering about that when it happened.  I thought that was just the way the mission was.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 06, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 06, 2008, 06:08:04 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 05:49:12 PM

Is it possible that he doesn't help you?  I was wondering about that when it happened.  I thought that was just the way the mission was.

Yeah I think he has to come along and you definitely can't finish it without him following you.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 06, 2008, 06:22:02 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 06, 2008, 06:16:47 PM

Yeah I think he has to come along and you definitely can't finish it without him following you.

Just make sure that you've completed all of the LJ missions before you take on the Russian Revolution.  He'll call you while you're on your way to meet Dimitri and have you pick him up.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 06, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »

are you guys using the lock on (left trigger)?...not sure why but every mission has been pretty easy up to now(this is definetly the easiet GTA ever)....that russian revolution(and other missions like this) i just kept using the left trigger to lock on and then shoot while hiding behind the posts...make sure you get the people on the above floors first then you wont get hit by them...just take your time,hide and press LT,wait for that person to come out of hiding and press RT..then move onto the next person(either stay where you are and press LT or move to the next post)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 06, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 06, 2008, 06:26:26 PM

are you guys using the lock on (left trigger)?...not sure why but every mission has been pretty easy up to now(this is definetly the easiet GTA ever)....that russian revolution(and other missions like this) i just kept using the left trigger to lock on and then shoot while hiding behind the posts...make sure you get the people on the above floors first then you wont get hit by them...just take your time,hide and press LT,wait for that person to come out of hiding and press RT..then move onto the next person(either stay where you are and press LT or move to the next post)

Agreed.  I think I've died more because of environment issues, i.e. walking off the edge of a the building in Deconstruction for Beginners when sniping, than by the baddies.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: May 06, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »

So far, I've only used Jacob's perk once, and only for body armor after I failed a mission.  I can see myself restocking my armor fairly frequently from here on out though.

That's the one thing I've used the guide for. I know where 1 armor pickup is on each island so I swing by and pick one up as needed.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 06, 2008, 04:21:01 PM

hmmm.. I don't think I have a perk for Jacob, and last time I checked his respect was 80%.

you'll get Jacob's perk after you complete all ten of his package delivery jobs.  just call him up on the phone using the 'Job' option and he'll give you some work to do...all pretty easy delivery missions.  after those, you'll be able to call him up as a mobile gun store through the rest of the game icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 06, 2008, 06:32:05 PM

you'll get Jacob's perk after you complete all ten of his package delivery jobs.  just call him up on the phone using the 'Job' option and he'll give you some work to do...all pretty easy delivery missions.  after those, you'll be able to call him up as a mobile gun store through the rest of the game icon_cool

Ah, that answers my question. I thought I needed to hang out with him more and it was taking forever, I'll do more of his missions. Does this apply even if your job completion is at 100%?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 06, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »

I've only completed 2 of his jobs and have his perk....but I've shot many a game of pool with him. slywink
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 06, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 06, 2008, 06:34:42 PM

I've only completed 2 of his jobs and have his perk....but I've shot many a game of pool with him. slywink

See?  That's what I love about this game.  There are so many ways for you to achieve the same thing (most of the time).
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 06, 2008, 06:55:46 PM »

I just approach it in a simple way. Any time I feel like doing something outside of mission, I take someone with me.

If I want to play pool, I take LJ with me. I'm injured? Take a date out for a bite to eat. Etc. Etc.

Keeps everyone happy...keeps the perks coming.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 06, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 06, 2008, 06:55:46 PM

I just approach it in a simple way. Any time I feel like doing something outside of mission, I take someone with me.

If I want to play pool, I take LJ with me. I'm injured? Take a date out for a bite to eat. Etc. Etc.

Keeps everyone happy...keeps the perks coming.

I never thought of it that way.  Good call!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 06, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »

I gotta say I'm really enjoying the story.  Niko is a great character that I am really rooting for.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 06, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »

I've read that it depends on how much Jacob likes you.  Someone on another forum said that they were having trouble with the mission so they went off, did a bunch of side missions and earned respect from Jacob and then when they replayed the mission he showed up. 

Personally I thought it was a fantastic mission and a highlight of the game so far.  The firefight was easy but I had a harder time right after that with the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Police Chase.  I dispatched two of the cop cars outside the warehouse with molotovs and then hijacked the third car. Unfortunately it had taken quite a bit of damage in the firefight and from collateral damage from the explosions.  At one point in the escape I got pinned between cop cars and it wasn't looking good so I bailed out of the car and took off on foot.  But then I got a message saying I had left Little Jacob behind!  So I jacked another car and drove right back into the fray.  By this time most of the cops had abandoned their cars so I drove over who I could, waited for Jacob to get into the car, and got out of their by the skin of my teeth but since the cops weren't in their cars they didn't follow.  I ended up dropping Jacob off riding in a bullet riddled, smoking car, with sparks flying from all four rims. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 06, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 06, 2008, 07:32:04 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Police Chase.  I dispatched two of the cop cars outside the warehouse with molotovs and then hijacked the third car. Unfortunately it had taken quite a bit of damage in the firefight and from collateral damage from the explosions.  At one point in the escape I got pinned between cop cars and it wasn't looking good so I bailed out of the car and took off on foot.  But then I got a message saying I had left Little Jacob behind!  So I jacked another car and drove right back into the fray.  By this time most of the cops had abandoned their cars so I drove over who I could, waited for Jacob to get into the car, and got out of their by the skin of my teeth but since the cops weren't in their cars they didn't follow.  I ended up dropping Jacob off riding in a bullet riddled, smoking car, with sparks flying from all four rims. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
That police chase killed me.  It was a surprise, and it took me a while to lose the cops.  The cops blew one of the back tires of my first car, so we ditched that ride and broke into another one.  I still ended up dropping LJ off with a bullet-riddled ride and a sliver of health left.  smile

My apologies if anyone saw the above spoiler as a quote.  I selected the wrong tag and posted without previewing.   icon_frown
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 07:37:32 PM by rickfc » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 06, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »

are you guys using the lock on (left trigger)?

The lock-on has been a godsend to the console-aiming-handicapped folks like myself.  Would have quit long ago if it wasn't available.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 06, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 06, 2008, 08:00:02 PM

are you guys using the lock on (left trigger)?

The lock-on has been a godsend to the console-aiming-handicapped folks like myself.  Would have quit long ago if it wasn't available.

+1
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »

I'm fairly sure it's tied to his Like % rating for you, not to job completion, as I had the perk unlocked before I ever did one job run for him.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 06, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »

Yeah, I've done all the LJ missions up until the timed one (which I can't seem to find the end point - I'm where the GPS ends, but I can't see any arrows in the area above the final goal), and he's been accompanying me on the mission.  I get the message "Little Jacob has died" just after Dmitri and Other Guy escape.  disgust  He seems to make a good bullet magnet.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 06, 2008, 11:36:28 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on May 06, 2008, 11:15:52 PM

Yeah, I've done all the LJ missions up until the timed one (which I can't seem to find the end point - I'm where the GPS ends, but I can't see any arrows in the area above the final goal), and he's been accompanying me on the mission.  I get the message "Little Jacob has died" just after Dmitri and Other Guy escape.  disgust  He seems to make a good bullet magnet.

Shortly after the fire-fight begins, you'll get a message in the upper-left corner telling you that LJ is getting hurt.  You have to take out the goon shooting at him, and keep him covered throughout.  That should take care of the LJ has died message and allow you to get through the mission.  Just take your time and take out as many of the goons as you can in the room before making forward progress.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 07, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »

woot, 3 leaf clover was pretty easy. once i got to 3 star i simply called kiki up and erased them all. BAM. the cash you get is simply insane, holy christ.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: