http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:49:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73436 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: May 04, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on May 04, 2008, 06:33:30 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 03, 2008, 03:39:28 PM

Spent hours last night doing the Most Wanted missions.  So awesome. 

I've done a few of the police missions (both MOst Wanted and Crimes), and I'm not getting paid.  Is that right?

Seems like it.  I've completed all of the Most Wanted missions that initially open up and didn't receive any kind of reward that I can tell.  Which was slightly disappointing but, to tell the truth, I had so much fun doing them I didn't mind too much. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 04, 2008, 08:23:52 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 04, 2008, 07:14:26 AM

I've done a few of the police missions (both MOst Wanted and Crimes), and I'm not getting paid.  Is that right?

Seems like it.  I've completed all of the Most Wanted missions that initially open up and didn't receive any kind of reward that I can tell.  Which was slightly disappointing but, to tell the truth, I had so much fun doing them I didn't mind too much. 

Sometimes, the perps drop a bunch of cash.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 04, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »

Just finished the storyline missions. A few of the last missions were really good, got some revenge on those who deserved it, but it really didn't feel like that last mission was the last one. Really, really seemed like there was more to get done at the end.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 04, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 04, 2008, 08:23:52 AM

Sometimes, the perps drop a bunch of cash.

Batman doesnt get paid...they are vigilante missions,as you aren't a cop...and yeah as said, i just pick up the cash that they drop

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 04, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 03, 2008, 10:19:26 PM

Quote from: Ridah on May 03, 2008, 06:24:50 PM

Arg! Failing missions and having to restart them from the beginning is a major bitch, especially when involves a lot of driving prior  thumbsdown

you sure complain alot.  This is nothing new to the GTA series...

Doesn't mean it's not something they could've looked into.  When I stall out in these games this is the reason (usually i've gotten my money's worth by then).  I thought Snow Storm was going to be a real problem, but only took two tries.  However having to go all the way to your destination, and do a multi-part mission, and if you die you have to start all over is not always fun.  GTA at least has other things to keep you occupied.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 04, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 04, 2008, 06:45:08 AM

Quote from: Magic on May 04, 2008, 02:36:39 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 04, 2008, 12:15:24 AM

Quote from: Magic on May 03, 2008, 11:57:49 PM

Today, I got as far as skipping the opening cutscene, and driving the car out of the dock. I made the first right, the car looked like it was going to roll over, and then it froze.

$60 paperweight that I can't even return to the store. What a crock.

What version?  If it's a PS3 then try turning off your Internet access on the PS3 when you play.

you can't take it to the store and exchange it for another copy to see if it's not the disc that is bad?

Have done. Three times.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 04, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 04, 2008, 06:49:21 AM

Quote from: CSL on May 02, 2008, 01:37:40 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 12:42:12 AM

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 07:08:14 PM

Had my first REALLY frustrating mission last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Chasing a crime boss' daughter's boyfriend on a motorcycle that apparently is constructed out of balsa wood as every time I fire my damn gun from it in order to try and stop him from getting away, I spin around as if I'm caught in a tornado.

finally just laid down the controller and turned off the 360.  i want to enjoy this game so i'm not going to play it when i'm angry, i've decided.

frack, thats the same type of mission that killed San Andreas for me.  Maybe I'll just go play with my tassels now.

Just chase him and eventually you'll get to a park where you can kill him and a few of his buddies on foot.

heh, guess what?  you don't need to ride a bike for that mission.  I chased him down in a car.

This is how I beat it, though accidentally.  I play in first person mode when driving, but it doesn't work well for me on a bike and so I crashed.  I flew a great distance and another car was closer than the bike.  Go in it and finished up the mission.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 04, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 04, 2008, 02:38:47 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Chasing a crime boss' daughter's boyfriend on a motorcycle that apparently is constructed out of balsa wood as every time I fire my damn gun from it in order to try and stop him from getting away, I spin around as if I'm caught in a tornado.

finally just laid down the controller and turned off the 360.  i want to enjoy this game so i'm not going to play it when i'm angry, i've decided.

frack, thats the same type of mission that killed San Andreas for me.  Maybe I'll just go play with my tassels now.

Just chase him and eventually you'll get to a park where you can kill him and a few of his buddies on foot.

heh, guess what?  you don't need to ride a bike for that mission.  I chased him down in a car.

This is how I beat it, though accidentally.  I play in first person mode when driving, but it doesn't work well for me on a bike and so I crashed.  I flew a great distance and another car was closer than the bike.  Go in it and finished up the mission.

Spoiler for Hiden:
returning to a spoiler format:  I just took the earlier advice and loaded up on smg ammo.  took him down pretty quickly after that.  i reached another annoyingly difficult mission with the race that brucie makes you partake in for his final mission.  THAT one almost had me tossing my controller through the tv.  however, i eventually beat it by sheer luck...and by knocking the guy ahead of me into a ravine when i had the chance.  however, it did highlight an earlier complaint from someone around here.  it seems like the missions are less freeform than in previous gta games.  for example:  i tried to block off some of the race participants in the aforementioned mission by going around the starting point and place a few cars in their way to slow their start.  however, when the mission actually started, those cars were gone.  in the previous gta games, i think they would have let me get away with something like that.  i particularly remember doing it repeatedly in vice city when faced with a frustratingly hard mission.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 04, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »

are the most wanted missions opened up when you steal a cop car?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 04, 2008, 03:36:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 04, 2008, 03:23:47 PM

are the most wanted missions opened up when you steal a cop car?

yes,you have to access the computer inside by pressing LB...there are 10 criminals per island,and the 10 for one paticular island will only show up (on the computer)if you are actually on that island

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 04, 2008, 03:47:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 04, 2008, 03:22:16 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
returning to a spoiler format:  I just took the earlier advice and loaded up on smg ammo.  took him down pretty quickly after that.  i reached another annoyingly difficult mission with the race that brucie makes you partake in for his final mission.  THAT one almost had me tossing my controller through the tv.  however, i eventually beat it by sheer luck...and by knocking the guy ahead of me into a ravine when i had the chance.  however, it did highlight an earlier complaint from someone around here.  it seems like the missions are less freeform than in previous gta games.  for example:  i tried to block off some of the race participants in the aforementioned mission by going around the starting point and place a few cars in their way to slow their start.  however, when the mission actually started, those cars were gone.  in the previous gta games, i think they would have let me get away with something like that.  i particularly remember doing it repeatedly in vice city when faced with a frustratingly hard mission.

There is a mission where a guy runs down a different ramp to jump into a car and I wasn't prepared for it so he got away.    The next time I parked a car near where he makes his getaway and managed to have it waiting when I was in pursuit.   So I don't think it always resets the vehicles.
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 04, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »

Only managed to get a few more hours in (definitely not a game to play when my 2 year old is within a 1 mile radius!) and I am still loving the game. I have just met Brucie and logged onto the in-game Internet for the first time. Haven't really struggled with any of the missions yet. Still think the driving is great, the cover system is good but I am still getting the hang of it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 04, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »

After clocking in on nearly 12 hours of play overall (since I got a late start by being out of town the day of launch).... something occurred to me today.

We can nitpick the hell out of this thing for little things.    Death by a thousand pinpricks.  

The bottom line is for me personally -- this is the most compelling, enjoyable game I've played since Ultima VII.   The city is real.  There are garbage trucks on patrol.   I noticed yesterday a postal worker getting mail out of a corner mail deposit box.  There is very little repetition of graphics -- the stores are unique, alive, and sometimes I turn the game on just to drive around for a little while.  The view of the city from the rooftops is breathtaking and feels right.  After things heated up toward the end of the first major storyline, I felt suddenly connected to the characters.  I've grown tired of my first girlfriend and am thinking of branching out and calling that relationship quits.  Frankly I'm tired of the constant questions about my association with crime.  Screw the bitch -- she's poking her nose where it doesn't belong.

I'm finding myself wondering each time I drive by a park if the serial killer is there stalking his prey....  I'm starting to love my wacky cousin for what he is.  It speaks volumes when -- INSIDE a GAME -- I go back to the safehouse to chill and watch some very well done and funny television shows.  I find the main theme music repeating in my head as I walk down the street in real life.

As I said....this is the best gave I've played in well over a decade.  Just like a great movie -- you can FIND faults when you go looking.   I haven't found any that has made this anything other than one of the best games in history.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 04, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

Quote from: CSL on May 04, 2008, 11:01:50 AM

Just finished the storyline missions. A few of the last missions were really good, got some revenge on those who deserved it, but it really didn't feel like that last mission was the last one. Really, really seemed like there was more to get done at the end.

DLC?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 04, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

please tell me those aren't required to move the story forward.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: May 04, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Or you can just chase him down on the bike /flex

slywink
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 04, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

i just broke the 30hr mark(says 46%),....been doing a lot of missions,a few package deliveries for Jacob and i also unlocked the GTA3s main characters clothing,so thats how i am dressed now,green pants and black leather jacket

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 04, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Tried a couple times, but I never could knock him off the bike.  Ended up just following him to the park (where he meets up with his buddies), running 3 of them over in the big-ass Hummer I jacked, and whacking the rest in a big 'ol shootout. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 04, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 04, 2008, 04:34:02 PM

As I said....this is the best gave I've played in well over a decade.  Just like a great movie -- you can FIND faults when you go looking.   I haven't found any that has made this anything other than one of the best games in history.

you can find faults with things you love.  It helps to move the franchise along in cases like this.  people contribute their likes and dislikes, rockstar (usually) takes notice and improves upon the next in the series using these critiques.  just because some of us note something we don't especially like in the game doesn't mean we hate the game.  perfection is unattainable, last time i checked...

...although with hair like mine, it's a damn close race.   Tongue

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 04, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 04, 2008, 04:38:02 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

please tell me those aren't required to move the story forward.

There is exactly ONE required race mission the entire game storyline wise, and it was pretty easy. Noone said anything about shooting my opponents after the race started. Tongue
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 04, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2008, 04:59:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Tried a couple times, but I never could knock him off the bike.  Ended up just following him to the park (where he meets up with his buddies), running 3 of them over in the big-ass Hummer I jacked, and whacking the rest in a big 'ol shootout. 

I'm pretty sure you aren't meant to kill him on the bike. I can aim fairly well while in a vehicle and was nailing him in the head almost the entire time.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 04, 2008, 06:36:54 PM »

Yeah it seems there are a few missions where you can't actually hurt them until after a predetermined 'event' in the mission.  That's one of them.

gellar
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 04, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 04, 2008, 06:35:30 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2008, 04:59:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I'm pretty sure you aren't meant to kill him on the bike. I can aim fairly well while in a vehicle and was nailing him in the head almost the entire time.

Spoiler for Hiden:
you can kill him while he's on his bike.  there's quite a few of us who've done so to get past that mission sucessfully.

There is exactly ONE required race mission the entire game storyline wise, and it was pretty easy.

for YOU maybe.  I got old hands with old man reflexes.  i had to retry that thing like 9 times!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 04, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »

i am actually suprised how very little timed missions there are,i am sure they will crop up,but i am about half way through the story,and thought i would be up to my eyeballs in timed missions(i hate timed missions)..there are a few jacob deliveries that are timed,but i havent seen anything else

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 05, 2008, 01:14:01 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 04, 2008, 04:44:54 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

slywink

so you worked within the system set up by the Man?  don't be a tool, man.  FIGHT THE POWER! 

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: May 05, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

Well, you can always take a car and show him how bikes are so much less safe than automobiles.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 05, 2008, 02:06:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2008, 01:14:01 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

slywink

so you worked within the system set up by the Man?  don't be a tool, man.  FIGHT THE POWER! 

Awwww c'mon, I'm just having fun!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 05, 2008, 03:12:22 AM »

Little help on "Luck of the Irish"

Spoiler for Hiden:
I climb to the roof to protect the Irish guy.  Deal goes bad, I pick off all the baddies, and Patrick is standing in the middle of the street with no one around.   Nothing else happens, no shots are fired, but I suddenly get the message "Patrick has taken damage, blah, blah."  Mission failed.   This happened 3 times in a row, and I'm a bit confused.  Is there something else I'm supposed to do after sniping all the badguys?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 05, 2008, 03:13:39 AM »

I played for a few hours tonight and reached one of the best gaming moments I've ever experienced.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The firefight in the warehouse with Dmitri, the run from the cops, followed by Roman's discovery of what happened to his house and depot.

I keep saying this, but what a fantastic game.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 05, 2008, 03:25:44 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 05, 2008, 03:12:22 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I climb to the roof to protect the Irish guy.  Deal goes bad, I pick off all the baddies, and Patrick is standing in the middle of the street with no one around.   Nothing else happens, no shots are fired, but I suddenly get the message "Patrick has taken damage, blah, blah."  Mission failed.   This happened 3 times in a row, and I'm a bit confused.  Is there something else I'm supposed to do after sniping all the badguys?

Spoiler for Hiden:
is this the sniping one? There's a guy that somehow gets behind patrick. zoom out, the radar is deceiving. i was convinced there was some sort of bug until i zoomed out and finally saw him. took me like 10 times, i was ready to stab a ho irl.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 05, 2008, 03:43:28 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 05, 2008, 03:25:44 AM

Quote from: Gratch on May 05, 2008, 03:12:22 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
is this the sniping one? There's a guy that somehow gets behind patrick. zoom out, the radar is deceiving. i was convinced there was some sort of bug until i zoomed out and finally saw him. took me like 10 times, i was ready to stab a ho irl.

Ah, didn't even check for that.  Thanks!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 05, 2008, 06:20:20 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 05, 2008, 02:06:29 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2008, 01:14:01 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

slywink

Awwww c'mon, I'm just having fun!

I bet Hitler said that after invading Russia.

Because I can,
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 05, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

Got in some playing this weekend on Friday and Sunday afternoons, and even a few minutes of MP last night. Have about 16-18 hours gametime complete and just unlocked access to Algonquin.

Wasn't terribly impressed with the team deathmatch MP. It had map icons on constantly and no auto-aiming, so I  was pretty much a dead man all the time. Maybe if it were in a situation where you could hide and ambush with auto-aim it would be better. I'll get more time on it eventually, but right now I'm concentrating on SP.

Niko is a busy man! Roman is always wanting to do something with him, as is Little Jacob, Brucie and Michelle. He barely has time to check his email, listen to his tunes, watch TV, fulfill mainline mission obligations and go pick up hookers!  icon_biggrin

I've had to replay a few missions, not because they were overly hard as much as I didn't understand what I needed to do. Thankfully the "replay text message" option works pretty well this way, although having to drive from Bohan to the end of Broker the second time is a bit annoying, but not bad at all.

Kudos to the Rockstar developers... when I was to the point of unlocking areas outside of Los Santos in GTASA I had pretty much explored the city well enough that I didn't feel like I was missing anything other than the collector tasks like tagging. In GTAIV I am still spotting new things every time I take a drive in Bohan, Dukes and Broker, even though I've just unlocked Algonquin access. I'm enjoying the deeper story line and characters, Brucie is a hoot.

I've grown to accept the odd graphics blurring and fuzziness; it's weird but not detrimental to gameplay. About the only aspect that I'm still unhappy with is the constant need to go to options to alter the balance between SFX and Radio volume. Wish there was a third slider with separation between voices and other SFX like car and ambient noise.

Update: I forgot to mention one of those "wow, that's cool" moments... while driving I bumped into some guy's car. It slide up against a wall and started burning. The driver hopped out, on fire, and ran around screaming for a little while till his flames went out. The car meanwhile continued to burn. Then there was a "pop" and a tire blew and the car dropped on that corner. And then a little while later another tire popped and the car settled again. Eventually the other two tires blew and then the car blew up. I was in a mission but just had to sit there and watch this. Very cool...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:44:51 AM by Roscoe » Logged

XBL gamertag: jztemple
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 05, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 05, 2008, 10:40:43 AM

Wasn't terribly impressed with the team deathmatch MP. It had map icons on constantly and no auto-aiming, so I  was pretty much a dead man all the time. Maybe if it were in a situation where you could hide and ambush with auto-aim it would be better. I'll get more time on it eventually, but right now I'm concentrating on SP.

Auto Aim in MP is both a blessing and a curse.  it makes it easier to aim but it also makes it impossible to run/dodge away if you need to.  As for the markers, it's almost necessary to have them considering you have the whole city to play with.  if they weren't there you could probably go a whole game without seeing anyone.

Niko is a busy man! Roman is always wanting to do something with him, as is Little Jacob, Brucie and Michelle. He barely has time to check his email, listen to his tunes, watch TV, fulfill mainline mission obligations and go pick up hookers!  icon_biggrin

I've started putting the cell phone into sleep mode so I can do the misions that have map markers without being bothered by people wanting to go out and do stuff.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 05, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2008, 02:35:12 PM

I've started putting the cell phone into sleep mode so I can do the misions that have map markers without being bothered by people wanting to go out and do stuff.

If you have it on sleep mode do you miss out on the mid-mission cell phone calls?  I want to cut out the "let's hang out!" calls but I don't want to miss out on the calls that add flavor to the missions.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 05, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 05, 2008, 02:38:30 PM

If you have it on sleep mode do you miss out on the mid-mission cell phone calls?  I want to cut out the "let's hang out!" calls but I don't want to miss out on the calls that add flavor to the missions.

I'm not sure.  you could always turn sleep mode off when you start a mission-  I don't remember ever getting a hangout call when I was on one other than the Shadow one, and I think that was scripted to be part of the mission.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: May 05, 2008, 03:11:25 PM »

Usually you won't be called to just hang out if you're in a mission.  Often times if you do get such a call, it's part of the mission and Nico will decline or accept automatically as per the mission's needs.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 05, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 05, 2008, 02:38:30 PM

hope i'm not repeating this, i don't feel like reading back through this whole thread

if someone calls you asking to do something and you dont feel like doing it, accept it anyway.  then call them back and cancel, you won't lose 'friendship'

later on you get a few of those phone calls to 'hang out', but it really turns into a mission.  dont get in a habit of ignoring the phone.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 05, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 04, 2008, 08:40:55 PM

i am actually suprised how very little timed missions there are,i am sure they will crop up,but i am about half way through the story,and thought i would be up to my eyeballs in timed missions(i hate timed missions)..there are a few jacob deliveries that are timed,but i havent seen anything else

i havnt found a single one, and i'm on mission 72 out of 94.  thats not counting the side missions.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 05, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »

So I'm pretty much loving this game heat and soul.  Put me in the camp that agrees with all of the perfect scores.

I wasn't a big GTA fan before.  I think it's because I always thought their engine couldn't live up to their ideas.  Especially in San Andreas it constantly felt like I was doing something that sounded really good on paper but, in execution, was just meh.  But almost all of that is fixed in GTA4.  For the first time in a GTA game, I'm loving combat.  Gun battles are exciting- I love the use of cover, the sound is freaking fantastic, and the open world design has created many awesome sequences where I'll go from an on foot pursuit, into cars, back out, etc. 

Best piece of advice I took was from those saying drive in first person view.  It completely changed the driving experience for me.  Driving feels great and, in another first for the series, I can do most things without leaving a trail of carnage behind me.  I was playing a bit of Liberty City Stories this weekend and, holy crap, I couldn't even drive down the street without leaving a mass of run over pedestrians and totaled cars.

And when you drive in first person, the city really seems so much more impressive.  I now agree with giving a perfect score to the graphics- the level of detail in the city is just phenomenal.  And the game has one of the best implemented first person driving viewpoints I've ever experienced short of a dedicated racing sim.  It's incredibly tactile.  Normally I drive in third person in arcade racers because it's the only way to get feedback on the physical space your car occupies but GTA is able to manage it perfectly in first person. 

It's made the whole thing immersive for me on a level that shames most RPGs.  Heck, more often than not, I don't even skip the taxi rides- I just sit in the back and enjoy looking at the environment roll past. 

When I started I figured I would just stick to the main story path, since that's what I'm primarily interested in.  But, to my complete shock, I've been doing almost all of the optional stuff and I've logged almost twenty hours and still haven't even got to the second island yet (just got the second safehouse). 

Just an amazing game for me and it's more than surpassed my expectations. 
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: