http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73448 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15541


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 02, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 04:52:24 PM

Quote from: jblank on May 02, 2008, 04:51:14 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 01, 2008, 07:59:52 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 06:59:29 PM

Any favorite radio stations yet?  I've found myself tuning into JNR (Jazz Nation Radio) the most often.  I knew and loved just about all those jazz classics even before the game, and having them play while in a heated GTA mission evokes a very Cowboy Bebop feeling.

See you next time, Space Cowboy.

I actually haven't even gotten to the jazz station yet.

The only station I immediately turn off is the hard rock station (though even that one has an okay song or two).  I've been very impressed with the radio in this game.  San Andreas had the worst selection, IMO, but I loved tooling around Vice City with anything blaring.

And for DJ's you've got Iggy Pop, Juliette Lewis, Karl Lagerfeld (!), and a bunch of guys from SNL.

The actress????? She's a DJ in the game?

Yar

She's also in a semi-popular underground band which gives her some rock cred.  Like Karl Lagerfeld.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: May 02, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »

Wow, thats cool Bullwinkle, I didn't know that about her.
Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12599



View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 02, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »

PeteRock, I seriously just noticed a strange marker on my mini map, otherwise I wouldn't have known about that guy/mission.
Logged
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8555


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 05:16:59 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 05:03:10 PM

Went bowling last night to try and get a "turkey" (keep getting 2 strikes and missing the third  mad )...

I took Michelle to a pub offering darts and whooped her ass.  In the process I made it a point to earn the "score 180 points" achievement.  The "turkey" achievement is next on my list.  I can't remember, are there any pool achievements?


The pool achievement is just to beat one of your friends so you have to take someone there, like Michelle.  I have a feeling the turkey achievement is going to haunt me.  The QUB3D one took a while, but I could sense it was just matter of time, and the darts one was quite easy.  I'll probably leave the bowling one alone for a while and come back to it later.

By the way, those random guys will show up on your mini map as kind of a little cross. I initially ran into junkie guy randomly, but then noticed the icon on the map the second time he was available and went to see what it was. I think it's best to just go about your business and deal with them if you see them - there's just way too much area to cover in the game and too much to do to start hunting for things early on.

Oh, and does QUB3D make anyone elses LCD go crazy?  It's bright bright colors on a dark dark background, and after a while I don't think my tv was enjoying it, as it started to really bloom. At some point the bright clicked off but it eventually came back.  I don't know if that was the tv adjusting or what.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:41:04 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 02, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM

The QUB3D one took a while.....Oh, and does QUB3D make anyone elses LCD go crazy?

I don't know what QUB3D stands for.   icon_confused

I feel like such a n00QU3Db.   icon_redface
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12599



View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 02, 2008, 05:57:07 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 05:54:18 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM

The QUB3D one took a while.....Oh, and does QUB3D make anyone elses LCD go crazy?

I don't know what QUB3D stands for.   icon_confused

I feel like such a n00QU3Db.   icon_redface

I think it's an arcade game you can play in bars and such.
Logged
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10016


My cocaine


View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: May 02, 2008, 05:59:52 PM »

Cube 3D perhaps?
Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 02, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »

Cubed.


it involves cubes.
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

Quote from: Montag on May 02, 2008, 05:12:20 PM

In GTA San Andreas where you climb into the bar from the roof and then have to do a car chase, I shot out the tires of their vehicle with a silenced pistol.  When they tried to get away, they were sliding all over the place because of the flat tires.  It was hilarious.  Would that work here?

I haven't found any silencers yet, but it's still early in the game so they may be an option later.
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8555


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 02, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 05:57:07 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 05:54:18 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM

The QUB3D one took a while.....Oh, and does QUB3D make anyone elses LCD go crazy?

I don't know what QUB3D stands for.   icon_confused

I feel like such a n00QU3Db.   icon_redface

I think it's an arcade game you can play in bars and such.

Yes, the only one I have found so far is in the pool hall.  It's kind of a play on Tetris.
Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3841


two oh sickness


View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 02, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 06:04:36 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 05:57:07 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 05:54:18 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 05:37:43 PM

The QUB3D one took a while.....Oh, and does QUB3D make anyone elses LCD go crazy?

I don't know what QUB3D stands for.   icon_confused

I feel like such a n00QU3Db.   icon_redface

I think it's an arcade game you can play in bars and such.

Yes, the only one I have found so far is in the pool hall.  It's kind of a play on Tetris.

I've *heard* there's one in the strip club.  So I've heard, at least. 
Logged
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10016


My cocaine


View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 06:04:28 PM

Quote from: Montag on May 02, 2008, 05:12:20 PM

In GTA San Andreas where you climb into the bar from the roof and then have to do a car chase, I shot out the tires of their vehicle with a silenced pistol.  When they tried to get away, they were sliding all over the place because of the flat tires.  It was hilarious.  Would that work here?

I haven't found any silencers yet, but it's still early in the game so they may be an option later.

i really want a silencer for pigeon hunting.  it seems every time i manage to find one, the P O shows up as soon as i shoot.  i've managed to kill about 15 now and unfortunately, not unlocked anything yet.  not sure if that happens this time around.  it's not mentioned in the guide.
Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5519



View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 03:04:24 PM


Another thing I noticed last night was that I started to see alot of popup all of a sudden, like in the safehouse where I ran inside and it took a few seconds for everything to appear in it, plus another 'cut scene' where the background took a few seconds to pop in.  this just started last night and I'm hoping it was just a glitch as I hadn't had it before.

Try clearing your cache if you are noticing it more often, assuming you are playing it on the 360.

There's only two things that are annoying me about the game: 1) I'm sorry but its pretty fucking buggy and 2) When you fail a mission it sucks having to start from the beginning again, I wish there were checkpoints during the mission. It sucks when you are 20+ minutes into the mission just to fail it, and often times I fail it simply because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or where to go and get killed in the process of figuring it out.

I hope Rockstar irons out some of the bugs in patches, that would be courteous of them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 06:10:41 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8555


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 02, 2008, 06:11:56 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 02, 2008, 06:06:24 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 02, 2008, 06:04:36 PM


Yes, the only one I have found so far is in the pool hall.  It's kind of a play on Tetris.

I've *heard* there's one in the strip club.  So I've heard, at least. 

I must have missed that one.  There was a benefit to spending time in the strip club in Vice City, so I kept taking lap dances to see what would happen.  The only benefit I got was an interesting show.  Then 2 guys came in to throw me out but they didn't say why!  Well, at least that gave me the chance to practice fighting.
Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 10016


My cocaine


View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: May 02, 2008, 06:22:05 PM »

one thing that seemed to strike me after playing last night was how they split up missions.  in earlier games, san andreas for example, you would have to complete 2 or more of the smaller missions in gta 4 as one.  i played a few last night which were barely long enough to be considered missions. 

example
Spoiler for Hiden:
one of the missions for manny has you driving down to broker and following a train, then taking out 3 dealers as they exit.  you finish them, it's done.  short and simple, except for the winding roads under the train tracks.

i could see that piece being tacked onto the end of the previous mission for the same person in SA.  the last mission in SA was horrible for that reason and had about 4 major parts. 
Logged

The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8167


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 02, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 05:34:07 PM

PeteRock, I seriously just noticed a strange marker on my mini map, otherwise I wouldn't have known about that guy/mission.

I got mine by just walking down the street (I walk places a lot).  Guy stops me and starts making fun on Eastern Europeans and then tosses me $100.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 241



View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: May 02, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »

*Ahem*

New resident in Liberty City, looking for some partners to cause mayhem and destruction  icon_cool
Logged

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 02, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 02, 2008, 06:08:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 03:04:24 PM


Another thing I noticed last night was that I started to see alot of popup all of a sudden, like in the safehouse where I ran inside and it took a few seconds for everything to appear in it, plus another 'cut scene' where the background took a few seconds to pop in.  this just started last night and I'm hoping it was just a glitch as I hadn't had it before.

Try clearing your cache if you are noticing it more often, assuming you are playing it on the 360.

There's only two things that are annoying me about the game: 1) I'm sorry but its pretty fucking buggy and 2) When you fail a mission it sucks having to start from the beginning again, I wish there were checkpoints during the mission. It sucks when you are 20+ minutes into the mission just to fail it, and often times I fail it simply because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or where to go and get killed in the process of figuring it out.

I hope Rockstar irons out some of the bugs in patches, that would be courteous of them.

i cleared my cache just before i bought the game,and the worse place for pop up for me is bruce's garage when you steal cars for him(side mission)..after you have stolen the car and parked it in his garage,the interior can take quite a few moments to load up
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3068



View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 02, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »

Quote
I have a feeling the turkey achievement is going to haunt me.

The "turkey" bowling achievement is not as hard as it first appears. I read a tip on another website that helped a lot, and got it on my first try.

Pick the left-most lane. After you grab the ball, take two steps left, then hit A to go into ready stance.

Now this is the important part - the speed of the ball directly correlates to the speed with which you transition from "down" to "up" on the analog stick. So you want to hit down then IMMEDIATELY hit it back up as straight as possible. If you can keep it straight and hit the head pin dead on with enough speed, it's a strike every time. The key is the speed - you can hit the head pin 100%, but if you don't have enough force on the ball you won't make a strike. (In real bowling, you should try to hit just to the right or left side of the king pin, as hitting it dead on more often results in a split. However, I've noticed in this game that hitting it dead on works a bit better).
Logged
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 02, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 02, 2008, 07:55:32 PM

Quote
I have a feeling the turkey achievement is going to haunt me.

The "turkey" bowling achievement is not as hard as it first appears. I read a tip on another website that helped a lot, and got it on my first try.

Pick the left-most lane. After you grab the ball, take two steps left, then hit A to go into ready stance.

Now this is the important part - the speed of the ball directly correlates to the speed with which you transition from "down" to "up" on the analog stick. So you want to hit down then IMMEDIATELY hit it back up as straight as possible. If you can keep it straight and hit the head pin dead on with enough speed, it's a strike every time. The key is the speed - you can hit the head pin 100%, but if you don't have enough force on the ball you won't make a strike. (In real bowling, you should try to hit just to the right or left side of the king pin, as hitting it dead on more often results in a split. However, I've noticed in this game that hitting it dead on works a bit better).

I didn't think to mention this as well.  During my first few sets I was barely knocking down a handful of pins and had minimal velocity on the ball.  But then I started thinking about the swing mechanic in Tiger Woods and tried pulling the left thumbstick back and then flipping it forward quickly and what do you know!   icon_eek  I zinged the ball down the lane and nailed a strike.  But my discovery was certainly accidental and it would have been kind of nice if they would have told you that in the instructions.   disgust
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15920


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:52 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 08:17:55 PM

But my discovery was certainly accidental and it would have been kind of nice if they would have told you that in the instructions.   disgust

Wait...this game had an instruction manual? I thought it was nothing but credits?
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5651


Why so serious?


View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 02, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2008, 08:20:52 PM


Wait...this game had an instruction manual? I thought it was nothing but credits?

I think he meant the on-screen instructions.  Tongue
Logged
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11329


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:19 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 02, 2008, 08:26:06 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2008, 08:20:52 PM


Wait...this game had an instruction manual? I thought it was nothing but credits?

I think he meant the on-screen instructions.  Tongue

I could've sworn the first time I drove by one of the blue restroom guy icons I had some info pop-up on how the random missions work.

I could just be hallucinating.
Logged
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 02, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »

I only remember the instructional note directing me to use the left thumbstick, but I don't recall ever seeing any mention of how to control ball speed based on the rate at which you flick the left thumbstick.  I may have missed it, but I definitely discovered it by accident rather than learning through instruction.

But you are right in that the instruction manual was more a list of credits and not much else.  Except for a nice add for Honkers.   
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11329


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 02, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »

Sorry I'm reading too many forums at once.  I thought we were talking about the random missions that you find scattered around, marked by the guy who stands on the men's bathroom signs.
Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12599



View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 02, 2008, 08:44:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2008, 08:34:19 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 02, 2008, 08:26:06 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2008, 08:20:52 PM


Wait...this game had an instruction manual? I thought it was nothing but credits?

I think he meant the on-screen instructions.  Tongue

I could've sworn the first time I drove by one of the blue restroom guy icons I had some info pop-up on how the random missions work.

I could just be hallucinating.

No I just randomly found mine and the game did not provide any instructions.
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 02, 2008, 09:00:46 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 05:06:31 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 02, 2008, 04:49:03 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 04:42:39 PM

I saw a random marker on my minimap yesterday and stopped and it triggered a cut scene with the pedestrian that ended up wiht me getting $100 for nothing.


thats the random characters,they are dotted about,i have been trying to find others,i have done about 8-10 little missions for them,they range from taking the random character home or taking out thugs for them...that guy who gave you the $100 is called Brian,he has two more little missions for you if and when you find him again(he will be in a different place next time...near comrades i think is where he will be now,near the cop shop..near your save house) ..i have just done a mission for Badman who was sitting on a bench in east city

they only turn up however,after you have done certain missions,and i think the marker is only there on the map if you are close by...one girl,sara i think only turns up in suffolk in the evening(after 9pm)...and also in suffolk is the guy you were on the boat with at the beginning,he has a favour as well for you to do

How do you find out about these kinds of things?  With games this large I stress about missing something (taking a mission that forwards the storyline and eliminates the need to do a previously available mission), and I didn't know about the random stranger missions.  For example, how do you know such details about Sara's availability in Suffolk?  I'm not suggesting that you're stalking Sara per se, but I'm curious how you learned so much.  From a game guide, online resources, word of mouth?  Obsessed video gamers need to know!

I worry that if I don't travel close enough to these random characters I'll never experience the level of depth this game offers.   


bradygames guide

thing is i bought the guide with the game,and i said i would only use it when i got stuck...well,i got stuck on a mission and looked my mission up,and there i saw i was missing all these side quests(about 8 random people passed me by,and a few side quests for my phome contacts) ...so,thats what i have been using the guide for up to now,if i hadnt of looked in there they would of passed me by

if i look up a misison it usually either tells me what i already know,or tells me the obvious,like kill the bad guys...i am not that far into the game that things have got complicated yet,but i have spent about 2-3 hrs looking up these random characters..the guide isnt very specific....suffolk isn't just a street,so i had to keep my eyes peeled..and some characters,like Brian,have 3 parts

EDIT:these random characters,.look like they continue right through the game
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5519



View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 02, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

Has anyone been able to check their stats at the Rockstar Social Club? I linked my gamertag as far as I know but I can't figure out how to check my stats.
Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15541


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 02, 2008, 09:00:46 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 05:06:31 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 02, 2008, 04:49:03 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 04:42:39 PM

I saw a random marker on my minimap yesterday and stopped and it triggered a cut scene with the pedestrian that ended up wiht me getting $100 for nothing.


thats the random characters,they are dotted about,i have been trying to find others,i have done about 8-10 little missions for them,they range from taking the random character home or taking out thugs for them...that guy who gave you the $100 is called Brian,he has two more little missions for you if and when you find him again(he will be in a different place next time...near comrades i think is where he will be now,near the cop shop..near your save house) ..i have just done a mission for Badman who was sitting on a bench in east city

they only turn up however,after you have done certain missions,and i think the marker is only there on the map if you are close by...one girl,sara i think only turns up in suffolk in the evening(after 9pm)...and also in suffolk is the guy you were on the boat with at the beginning,he has a favour as well for you to do

How do you find out about these kinds of things?  With games this large I stress about missing something (taking a mission that forwards the storyline and eliminates the need to do a previously available mission), and I didn't know about the random stranger missions.  For example, how do you know such details about Sara's availability in Suffolk?  I'm not suggesting that you're stalking Sara per se, but I'm curious how you learned so much.  From a game guide, online resources, word of mouth?  Obsessed video gamers need to know!

I worry that if I don't travel close enough to these random characters I'll never experience the level of depth this game offers.   


bradygames guide

thing is i bought the guide with the game,and i said i would only use it when i got stuck...well,i got stuck on a mission and looked my mission up,and there i saw i was missing all these side quests(about 8 random people passed me by,and a few side quests for my phome contacts) ...so,thats what i have been using the guide for up to now,if i hadnt of looked in there they would of passed me by

if i look up a misison it usually either tells me what i already know,or tells me the obvious,like kill the bad guys...i am not that far into the game that things have got complicated yet,but i have spent about 2-3 hrs looking up these random characters..the guide isnt very specific....suffolk isn't just a street,so i had to keep my eyes peeled..and some characters,like Brian,have 3 parts

EDIT:these random characters,.look like they continue right through the game

I also think the random characters appear in their spots randomly. 

I'm also using the guide, mostly for pigeons and mission order.  Consequently, I didn't want to move on until I'd finished with Brian, but I drove by the second spot where he was supposed to appear a bunch of times at completely different times of day and didn't find him.  Eventually he just did pop up.  Same thing happened with his third appearance.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 02, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »

i had some trouble with a certain woman,who you meet....it said in the guide she was somewhere completely different,vut when going off the screenshots i finally found her near the amusement park

i just did one i have been having a lot of trouble with,sara part 2....she wasnt hard to find,but where she was meant to be pier 45,i couldnt find for the life of me.....got it done now

i am also replying to bruces emails about stealing vehicles for him as i want to unlock his prezzie
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15541


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 03, 2008, 12:22:38 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 02, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

i had some trouble with a certain woman,who you meet....it said in the guide she was somewhere completely different,vut when going off the screenshots i finally found her near the amusement park

i just did one i have been having a lot of trouble with,sara part 2....she wasnt hard to find,but where she was meant to be pier 45,i couldnt find for the life of me.....got it done now

i am also replying to bruces emails about stealing vehicles for him as i want to unlock his prezzie

I'm surprised at the lack of prezzies this go 'round, honestly.  The pigeons are the only big unlock that I can find from hunting things down.  There's no bonus health or armor unlock that I can see.

The game seems more streamlined, which is not a bad thing by any means, but that was an aspect I truly enjoyed (when it wasn't mind-numbingly impossible, like the ambulance missions in the original GTA III).
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 03, 2008, 02:01:33 AM »

from what i have seen from various maps there are quite a few health and weapon pick ups,only they aren't in such obvious places..the health kits(first aid kits)i have seen during missions,but i havent seen any just lying about...but if i need to i just get some food,from a hot dog stand or burger shot

EDIT:i know there are police vigilante missions if you access the police computer in the police car,but not sure about the Ambulance,or even the fire brigade one(i remember putting out fires in one of the previous GTAs)


i have just broken the 20 hr mark,which to be honest doesnt sound a lot(saying that though i got 92% and finished with Bully at the 20 hr mark),i have only done 33 missions..because i have just been doing a lot of side missions(i have 33% done as well)just finished getting all the vehicles for brucie,and got the achievement,also got his 75% unlockable thing.....like roman where you can phone for a cab,Brucie's is ..you can phone for a helicoptor!!!!

as i was getting the cars and putting them in the lock up,Niko would phone Brucie and tell him the car was in his garage...however,i dont know if its because i did them one after the other,but Niko started to sound like Inspector Clouseau from the pink panther films(the peter sellers ones)..i kept on expecting him to say 'theres a 'bume' in my car??'
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:03:45 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2992


Roll Tide!!!!


View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 03, 2008, 03:33:40 AM »

Well chalk me up as one of those PS3 owners that got the dreaded 'freeze' and now GTA just sits and grinds at the loading screen.    Apparently it's f*cked and I am supposed to delete all data (10 HOURS worth of play) and start over.    F you very much Rock Star.   I hope gaming trend gives this game a 2.    mad mad mad mad

EDIT:

Ok it seems something is wrong with the PS3 network.   I signed out and it loaded.   Strange.

EDIT to my edit:

It appears that multiple users starting having that trouble in the last couple days.    Apparently a problem with the online component of PSN.    Remaining logged out has fixed it for me (for now)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:15:33 PM by msduncan » Logged
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8555


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 03, 2008, 03:41:02 AM »

OK, I am going to have to stop reading this thread because there is too much interesting stuff being revealed that I want to be surprised about (I'm only at like 17%).  I will say a funny thing happened to me tonight when I took a cab, though.  I wanted to get the little achievement for riding out a trip from one borough to another, so I got in a cab in Bohan to go meet Roman in Broker.  We wound up in line at the toll on the bridge, and one of the cars somehow got wedged in and no one was going forward.  So I hit the "I'm in a hurry" button.  The cabbie breaks out of line and goes the wrong way through the toll, breaking the gate on the way through.  A cop is there so he sets off a star and we are being chased.  The cabbie drives like crazy, wrong side of the road, weaving, tight turns, etc. He escapes the cops, stars disappear, and he drops me off like he was just doing his job.  Pretty funny.
Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5212



View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 03, 2008, 03:59:18 AM »

Those toll bridges annoy me to no end.  It's not unusual that I need to cross one sometime when I have no interest in being chased by the cops.  But the traffic that can build up at those bridges can get pretty thick, and it's not unusual for one of the AI cars to get stuck there, meaning that there's no way to use that bridge without getting a star.  I suppose next time that happens I can try nudging them back into line.  I like so much of the game, but extending the concept of a virtual world to getting stuck sitting in virtual traffic may be taking things a touch too far.
Logged

CSL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1356


View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 03, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »

You should probably be able to just push your way to the front and pay much quicker.
Logged
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1469


View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 03, 2008, 05:44:47 AM »

Not sure how, but I have gotten through the toll road without paying and no starts a couple times. I keep thinking that if I sneak through while the gate is up for another car... but most of the time I still get a star then. Not sure.
Logged

LiveTAG: happydog
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5519



View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 03, 2008, 06:14:37 AM »

I have no problems with the tolls myself, they are never backed up with traffic for me and if I'm in a hurry I have no problem driving through and ditching the 1 star level within 20 seconds. Are you playing the PS3 version? Maybe that one has denser traffic.
Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9350



View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: May 03, 2008, 06:34:13 AM »

Nope, not denser traffic, it just depends on various things.  Like in real life, sometimes there's just

But you'll also want to avoid the rush hour.  Stick to doing missions at off peak hours if you want to avoid traffic.

Tongue

 icon_lol
Logged
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 689


View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: May 03, 2008, 07:06:18 AM »

One neat thing I was driving pretty fast and another car in the oncoming traffic flashed his lights at me so I slowed down and sure enough there were cops ahead.....awesome.
Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.062s, 2q)