http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:11:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73421 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 01, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »

i will try that Zit,but i have only heard the song while in the club,not on the radio,hopefully it will still work...i have used Zit before,because i wanted to know who sang that 'cry' song.....i cant remember now though,LOL

missions are definetly getting harder and the story is getting deeper and deeper.

i was looking in the guide,and apparently random people should show up after various missions and they give you odd jobs to do...but i only found one of them right near the beginning of the game(the guy who gives you $100 for doing nothing)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: May 01, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 05:02:31 PM

You still didn't have to kill him. slywink  My Niko's moral conscience is much stronger: he just pulled the cop out of the car with an apology and then drove off.

Normally if I try to jack an occupied cop car, their doors are locked. The cops within just look at me funny and keep driving their merry way.

Now, if I pull a gun on them from a distance like I do with civvy cars, then they get out of their vehicles. They just don't like me doing that. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 01, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 01, 2008, 06:10:26 PM

i will try that Zit,but i have only heard the song while in the club,not on the radio,hopefully it will still work...i have used Zit before,because i wanted to know who sang that 'cry' song.....i cant remember now though,LOL

Godley and Creme ?

...god, i'm such an old guy.  i remember the 80's like it was yesterday   crybaby

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 01, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »

that was it Hepcat!!..it was actually that video i remember when i heard it on the radio in GTA,thanks for that link,i havent seen it for ages

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 01, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 10:02:45 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 09:55:27 PM

It turned out to be a short sprinkler repair session, so I've been playing for the last hour.

Somewhere around the 6th time the dude at the end of the mission with the knife killed me, I decided "yep, the GTA series still isn't for me".  Will probably give it another shot, but my guess is that it'll be in the trading forum by the weekend. 

I really wish whatever it is everyone else loves about this series clicked with me.  Guess I'm just not wired for this sort of game.  Oh well, guess I'll just stick with my Rock Band and JRPG's.

After you beat up the two "collection agents"?  I wound up just shoving him out the window with minimal effort.  I actually started to really feel like Niko was going to be an ex-military bad-ass and this was just a taste of what was to come.  

I beat that mission by grabbing the guy's knife and stabbing him many, many more times than was necessary.  Then I kicked him and stabbed him several more times.

The immersion breaking moment for me came when on my date with Michelle, as we're walking to the bowling alley, having a lovely conversation, I realize I'm still carrying the knife, and Michelle, kind soul that she is, didn't see fit to mention it.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:45 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 01, 2008, 06:38:10 PM

The immersion breaking moment for me came when on my date with Michelle, as we're walking to the bowling alley, having a lovely conversation, I realize I'm still carrying the knife, and Michelle, kind soul that she is, didn't see fit to mention it.

See, I can let stuff like that slide as far as the immersion is concerned.  The thing that keeps taking me out of the game is the loading times.  While it's not as bad as the first time that you take Michell out, it's still pretty aggravating at times.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 01, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »

Any favorite radio stations yet?  I've found myself tuning into JNR (Jazz Nation Radio) the most often.  I knew and loved just about all those jazz classics even before the game, and having them play while in a heated GTA mission evokes a very Cowboy Bebop feeling.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 01, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 06:59:29 PM

Any favorite radio stations yet?  I've found myself tuning into JNR (Jazz Nation Radio) the most often.  I knew and loved just about all those jazz classics even before the game, and having them play while in a heated GTA mission evokes a very Cowboy Bebop feeling.

Definitely the rock station.  I'm sure that when my wife gets home (she's been out of town all week), I'll be listening to the dance station more often.  frown
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 01, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »

Had my first REALLY frustrating mission last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Chasing a crime boss' daughter's boyfriend on a motorcycle that apparently is constructed out of balsa wood as every time I fire my damn gun from it in order to try and stop him from getting away, I spin around as if I'm caught in a tornado.

finally just laid down the controller and turned off the 360.  i want to enjoy this game so i'm not going to play it when i'm angry, i've decided.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 01, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »

Is there another rock station besides Liberty Rock? That's the one I'm listening to the most. If I want real chill music I'll listen to The Journey station.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 01, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »

rock and the indy station.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 01, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »

The Jazz one is my favorite as well.  I love Jazz music, having grown up around it in New Orleans.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 01, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

Jazz or indie rock for me...with a dash of Talk for shits and giggles.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 01, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 07:08:14 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Chasing a crime boss' daughter's boyfriend on a motorcycle that apparently is constructed out of balsa wood as every time I fire my damn gun from it in order to try and stop him from getting away, I spin around as if I'm caught in a tornado.

finally just laid down the controller and turned off the 360.  i want to enjoy this game so i'm not going to play it when i'm angry, i've decided.

Someone on Qt3 had trouble with that one.  Couple things that might help you:
Spoiler for Hiden:
First, it's a lot easier to take him down with the Mac-10 instead of with the pistol.  After I failed the first attempt I went to the gun store before my retry and stocked up on about 500 rounds of ammo which was more than enough.  He went down way faster, but even then I held my fire until we fairly stable and lined up on a straightaway.

If you still have trouble biking and gunning, you can just keep up with him for a while to turn the mission into an on-foot battle.  He'll call some buddies to help but then they stop under a freeway and fight without the bikes.  At least, that's what happened on my first try.  (Then I died).
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 01, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »

thanks wonderpug  i'll stock up before tackling that mission again tonight.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 01, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »

Quote from: spigot on May 01, 2008, 07:08:57 PM

Is there another rock station besides Liberty Rock? That's the one I'm listening to the most. If I want real chill music I'll listen to The Journey station.

Radio Broker has some rockish stuff as well, but skews more indie and also has some electronic kind of stuff like the "Get Innocuous" song from the UK TV trailer.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 01, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

Surprisingly I'm loving the Vladivostok station.  I don't care if I know what they are saying - a lot of those tunes are damn catchy!!!!

And I love, love, love The Journey.  I really miss some of the great synth scores of the 70s and 80s and, as I think someone here or on QT3 pointed out, it makes me feel like I'm playing a Michael Mann film. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 01, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 01, 2008, 01:16:44 AM

anyone else get a little creeped out to be driving around, listening to Liberty Rock Radio, and suddenly hearing the song from 'Silence of the Lambs' that's playing while Buffalo Bill dances around naked?  it's called 'Goodbye Horses' by Q Lazzarus...not a bad song, but caught me a little off guard considering that i associate it with such an odd movie scene...

Hey, that's the same song hepcat plays when he's trying to get me in the moo..................I mean, I think I've heard that song before.   ninja

Look, Aveda is having a sale! Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: May 01, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 01, 2008, 04:37:50 PM

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/05/gta_iv_the_immigrant_issue.php

Why not take a cab when, in doing so, there’s no risk of a police pursuit or the irritation of having another ‘death’ blighting your stat record?

I think they answered their own question in the asking of said question.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 01, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 07:33:26 PM

Quote from: disarm on May 01, 2008, 01:16:44 AM

anyone else get a little creeped out to be driving around, listening to Liberty Rock Radio, and suddenly hearing the song from 'Silence of the Lambs' that's playing while Buffalo Bill dances around naked?  it's called 'Goodbye Horses' by Q Lazzarus...not a bad song, but caught me a little off guard considering that i associate it with such an odd movie scene...

Hey, that's the same song hepcat plays when he's trying to get me in the moo..................I mean, I think I've heard that song before.   ninja

Look, Aveda is having a sale! Fabulous

It's better than the song that CeeKay makes me play..."The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round"....

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 07:54:24 PM

It's better than the song that CeeKay makes me play..."The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round"....

Dude, that's my 2 year old daughter's favorite song. 

Now, every time I sing it to her, I'm going to imagine CK getting in the mood.  Thanks for ruining it for me... finger  biggrin
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 30, 2008, 06:33:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 06:32:19 PM

&sp

Quote from: The Grue on April 30, 2008, 06:24:20 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 06:20:43 PM

I haven't gotten to the point where you can dial phone numbers yet. Once I do I plan to terrorize the cops quite a lot. smile

You can dial numbers as soon as you get the phone by (this is on the 360, but I am sure the PS3 is similar) hitting up on the d-pad to bring up the phone and then hitting up on the d-pad to get to the keyboard.; My problem is I have tried calling numbers on signs I have seen and they don't get anywhere (unless this is what you mean by not being able to dial phone numbers yet).

I've tried calling the one cab number from Romans cab depot (555-2222) with no results yet. I haven't tried the other number yet though.

Yeah, the 555-2222 and the 555-3333 were the first two I tried.  I have found others and they don't work, either, but they are also hard to read since the signs can be incredible messed up and blurry.

I dialed 911 for the hell of it and sure nuff got liberty city emergency dispatch "press 1 for police. 2 for an Ambulance, or 3 for Fire Dept". I chose 2 and got a and a dispatcher came on and said "they are sending someone to my location" Then  a message came up and said "I can call anytime if Iam hurt or injured I will receive medical attention on the spot." Now I heard the sirens but of course they never found me  icon_frown

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
PS3 Spinks
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 01, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on May 01, 2008, 07:57:54 PM

I dialed 911 for the hell of it and sure nuff got liberty city emergency dispatch "press 1 for police. 2 for an Ambulance, or 3 for Fire Dept". I chose 2 and got a and a dispatcher came on and said "they are sending someone to my location" Then  a message came up and said "I can call anytime if Iam hurt or injured I will receive medical attention on the spot." Now I heard the sirens but of course they never found me  icon_frown

I was just talking to one of my friends at work about it, and he said that the EMT will heal you for a price when they do find you.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 01, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

See you next time, Space Cowboy.

I actually haven't even gotten to the jazz station yet.

The only station I immediately turn off is the hard rock station (though even that one has an okay song or two).  I've been very impressed with the radio in this game.  San Andreas had the worst selection, IMO, but I loved tooling around Vice City with anything blaring.

And for DJ's you've got Iggy Pop, Juliette Lewis, Karl Lagerfeld (!), and a bunch of guys from SNL.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 01, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 01, 2008, 07:57:04 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 07:54:24 PM

Dude, that's my 2 year old daughter's favorite song. 

Now, every time I sing it to her, I'm going to imagine CK getting in the mood.  Thanks for ruining it for me... finger  biggrin

now add the tassels that ceekay wears on each nipple and then imagine having the ability to make them go opposite directions at the same time and you know the private hell i live in...

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 08:04:55 PM

now add the tassels that ceekay wears on each nipple and then imagine having the ability to make them go opposite directions at the same time and you know the private hell i live in...

I'm sorry for your pain   crybaby
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 01, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 07:29:42 PM

Surprisingly I'm loving the Vladivostok station.  I don't care if I know what they are saying - a lot of those tunes are damn catchy!!!!

And I love, love, love The Journey.  I really miss some of the great synth scores of the 70s and 80s and, as I think someone here or on QT3 pointed out, it makes me feel like I'm playing a Michael Mann film. 

For some reason whenever I am participating in high-speed MP races, running from the police in Cops'n'Crooks, chasing down fleeing adversaries, or creating unholy levels of havoc, it all seems so oddly relaxing and serene when doing so while listening to the reggae station.  Even when my car is on fire, the police are shooting to kill, enemies are firing from all directions, and I could die at any moment, reggae music heals the soul and helps to relax on a higher level.  

Go aheed now, run from me, bruddaman.  Don't tink I cannot bring da justeece and send you to ja makah.  Ya, bruddaman.  Keep'a runnin'.  PeteRastaman goin' take you down, mon.  Da herb gone help me see clearly, mon, and you don' be gettin' no chance at da victory, no mon.  I be bringing' da pop-pop, takin' you down, mon.  Keep a runnin', me no hurry, I catch you soon.  Ah, makin' me game bit 'citing, eh, mon?  I be comin'.  Ya, mon.  I be comin'.        

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 01, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »

Aye Aye Aye...Shitty Shitty Bang Bang

...I swear to god, that's the most addictive hook in a song in freakin' years.  I honestly can't get it out of my head.  But I still love the Vladivostok station.  catchy stuff.  and very appropriate when cruising the Russian 'hood.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 01, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 08:09:15 PM

For some reason whenever I am participating in high-speed MP races, running from the police in Cops'n'Crooks, chasing down fleeing adversaries, or creating unholy levels of havoc, it all seems so oddly relaxing and serene when doing so while listening to the reggae station.  Even when my car is on fire, the police are shooting to kill, enemies are firing from all directions, and I could die at any moment, reggae music heals the soul and helps to relax on a higher level.

In one of the more chaotic freeplay sessions we had the first night--people crashing into each other, rocket explosions everywhere--Smashing Pumpkins 1979 was on the radio and came to "Weeee don't eeeeven care--KABOOM" as I got blown up.

This game can create moments, that's for damn sure.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 01, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 08:31:21 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 08:09:15 PM

For some reason whenever I am participating in high-speed MP races, running from the police in Cops'n'Crooks, chasing down fleeing adversaries, or creating unholy levels of havoc, it all seems so oddly relaxing and serene when doing so while listening to the reggae station.  Even when my car is on fire, the police are shooting to kill, enemies are firing from all directions, and I could die at any moment, reggae music heals the soul and helps to relax on a higher level.

In one of the more chaotic freeplay sessions we had the first night--people crashing into each other, rocket explosions everywhere--Smashing Pumpkins 1979 was on the radio and came to "Weeee don't eeeeven care--KABOOM" as I got blown up.

This game can create moments, that's for damn sure.

I have no idea why, but one of my favorite moments was in Free Mode when someone was baring down on me in a car and I started rapid-firing into the windshield.  I thought I was a definite hood ornament, but at the last moment the car started to lose momentum and began veering off to the side with the driver slumped over the steering wheel.  The car came to a hault and I could hear the stereo blaring from the windows.  I remember standing there, staring at the car and the slumped driver, thinking to myself, "Whew, that was close," only to be run down by a rogue police vehicle seconds later.

It was pretty cool to be able to shoot through the windshield to take out the driver while a car was speeding toward me.

I'm just waiting for this sort of scenerio to develop in one of our MP sessions:

Vincent: Whoa!
Jules: What the fuck's happening, man? Ah, shit man!
Vincent: Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Jules: Why the fuck did you do that!
Vincent: Well, I didn't mean to do it, it was an accident!
Jules: Oh man I've seen some crazy ass shit in my time...
Vincent: Chill out, man. I told you it was an accident. You probably went over a bump or something.
Jules: Hey, the car didn't hit no motherfucking bump.
Vincent: Hey, look man, I didn't mean to shoot the son of a bitch. The gun went off. I don't know why.
Jules: Well look at this fucking mess, man. We're on a city street in broad daylight here!
Vincent: I don't believe it.
Jules: Well believe it now, motherfucker! We gotta get this car off the road! You know cops tend to notice shit like you're driving a car drenched in fucking blood.
Vincent: Just take it to a friendly place, that's all.
Jules: This in the Valley, Vincent. Marcellus ain't got no friendly places in the Valley.
Vincent: Well Jules this ain't my fucking town, man!
Jules: Shit!

icon_lol

All I can say is I'm washing windows.  One of you other clowns can clean up that dude's skull. 

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 01, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »

15 more minutes of work and then I'm out of here. I'm having GTA withdrawals so bad that my hands are shaking!  icon_cool
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: May 01, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »

my impression is that Gamestop blows.  I had a ps3 copy reserved and semi paid for,  went to pick it on tuesday,  they said they were sold out, come back the next day.   I just laughed, said, you must not understand the meaning of reserved very well, i said give me my damn money back I'll go to best buy and grab it, which Idid.  It was hard to get mad at the clerk, he didnt do anything wrong,  I just will never shop at that shit hole again.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 01, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 08:13:56 PM

Aye Aye Aye...Shitty Shitty Bang Bang

I am pretty sure these are not the actual lyrics....

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 01, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »

the full listing for all the radio stations,songs and DJs are in the back of the manual....one radio station(TUFF GONG)has nothing but Bob Marley songs,apart from the first song that is Stephen Marley..not sure if that is his son or not,i know Ziggy Marley was his son

and Liberty rock is the one i listen to,there are a lot of songs,but not as good as previous GTAs soundtracks IMO

EDIT:oh and i have that song that was bugging me from the lap dancing club now,its Goldfrapp-ooh la la..the video is on youtube,great song
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:22:55 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 01, 2008, 10:49:32 PM »

Tuff Gong is the label that put out Marley's records, so no surprise there.

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 02, 2008, 12:42:12 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

frack, thats the same type of mission that killed San Andreas for me.  Maybe I'll just go play with my tassels now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 02, 2008, 01:35:01 AM »

Coolest moment so far:

Mission where drug dealers pile out of a house and I'm supposed to kill them.    I happened to be in my car so I just gunned it and manged to pin two of them against the wall at 50 mph before they could turn the corner into an alley.   I jumped out of the car and ran the other one down.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 02, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »

Has anyone yet tried 867-5309?   I'm going to give it a go when I play next session to see if Jenny answers.  slywink
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 12:42:12 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

frack, thats the same type of mission that killed San Andreas for me.  Maybe I'll just go play with my tassels now.

Just chase him and eventually you'll get to a park where you can kill him and a few of his buddies on foot.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 02, 2008, 01:47:18 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 02, 2008, 01:35:01 AM

Coolest moment so far:

Mission where drug dealers pile out of a house and I'm supposed to kill them.    I happened to be in my car so I just gunned it and manged to pin two of them against the wall at 50 mph before they could turn the corner into an alley.   I jumped out of the car and ran the other one down.

My problem is I hit people at 50+ and they don't die.  I don't get it.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: