http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 03:28:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73323 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 01, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »

I'm about 7 hours in the single-player now and enjoying it...enough that I wish I was off of work and on my couch, controller in hand. smile

I'll likely give the multi a shot eventually, but I'm in no rush.

Impressions....as others have said, it's not revolutionary, but it is a good evolutionary jump in the series.

I like that Nico moves in a more realistic way. I see many complaints that he moves like a tank, but I disagree...he moves like an average human being and not a top-tier athlete on a coke binge...and it's a good thing. Same with the vehicles. You can outrun pursuers by 'driving'..not just stomping on the gas and aiming the car in the direction you want to go, but treating it like a racing sim-lite. With the amount of traffic on the roads with the physics at play, it encourages me to drive quite subdued compared to previous versions. I'm still hualing ass, but I don't use my car as a battering ram.

Mmmmm...Combat. I really like what they've done here. The cover mechanic took a bit to get used to, but I have fairly good control of it now and can place myself where I want.  I don't like that I can only pop off one 'aimed' shot at a time with the pistol from cover...it's just irritating to a pistol packer like me. I do like the close in over the shoulder view when aiming, as well as the ability to lock on or free aim.  I also like the amount of damage dealt, and the amout that can be taken.....good balance between fun and realism. Hand to hand can be rewarding, but because it's friggin' hard to take on more than 2 at a time...it's offputting at first, but after randomly attacking people on the streets I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm digging the story so far. The phone is nice touch, and a great way to keep track of what options you have when you are ready to 'do' something. The characters are all...well, characters. Not quite as over the top as prior GTAs, but all full of color. Cousin Roman is a lovable pain in the ass, Vlad a dirtbag, Little Jacob...is impossible to decipher, the rest all have quirks that are memorable.  Nico is a great protagonist, best yet in GTA...he's approaching Gordan Freeman status for me. I 'like' Nico, and hope his story plays out with a 'happy' ending.

I think the city is amazing so far, tons of detail everywhere for both the buildings and the people. I've been spending more and more time on foot just to take it all in. The mini-games and taking your friends out are fun distractions...and a good time to just tool around checking things out. I think it looks fantastic...especially for a sand-box style game of this size. It's the little things...changing shadows, reflections, explosions, fire, sparks, water, fog, haze, lighting....all of it comes together really well. The textures aren't ultra-detailed, but everything is detailed. It's a case of being greater than the sum of it's parts.

There are a couple things that annoy me. I hate the map! I wish it was as easy to use and as informative as the one in Saints Row. The pistol from cover problem as mentioned above. Lack of clothing shops and resturants...there are not nearly as many as prior versions. Other than those...I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

And that's what I think so far. biggrin

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 01, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »

You can go out the front and grab the original car, but it's ultimately more difficult, due to the road layout, than just following the mission's "script." For that reason, I think the idea that driving over an objective (versus walking over it) may have some merit. Because in that mission my main car that was parked on the objective was permanent, while the car I drove around back vanished.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 01, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »

One thing that is really starting to annoy me is Roman's voice.  He sounds way too much like Shrek doing a Borat impression.  I keep waiting for him to say something like. "But, I'm an Ogre, and I love Ogre titties! Very nice!"

Just a little hiccup.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »

I was looking for an online map of the city and I stumbled across a picture of GTA3's Times Square equivalent.

Then:

Now:
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 01, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

I keep waiting for him to say something like. "But, I'm an Ogre, and I love Ogre titties! Very nice!"

ROFLMAO. I never thought about it that way, but now that you mention it....

Last night the GTAIV commercial came on 3 or 4 times, and I was annoying my wife by walking around going, "COUSIN! WELCOME TO 'MERICA!!!"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »

I'm 3 or 4 achievements in now (not sure how many hours) and I'm enjoying the game.  The first car you use (Roman's Taxi) is so bad, I understand where the complains come from.  The more sporty cars that are around handle much better.  Haven't had much practice yet with the gun combat.  Overall I like the game, probably would say the same things as most replies here.  I really haven't had a solid block of time to play and I look forward to this weekend when I can veg with it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 01:20:01 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 01, 2008, 06:36:25 AM

i have made it to the middle island now,where the city blocks are at least prettier(times square for one)

I tried rushing through the story a bit to unlock that island but I still haven't gotten to it.  How far after unlocking
Spoiler for Hiden:
the safehouse up in the Bronx
do you get to Manhattan?

i was doing as mission called 'blow your cover' from Elizabeta,and at the end i had a pretty bad wanted level and just dived down a road to get away from the cops,it turned out to be the bridge 'northwood heights bridge at the top of the map leading to the second island,you have to take a guy called playboy x back home at the end,he lives at the top of the island....i didnt hear anything else telling me the island was now open...i did however read about it on the internet afterwards at TW@ internet cafe

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 01, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »

sorry for the double post

just saw on Kotaku that GTA4,here in the uk has broken first day sales(no suprise really)....it sold 609,000 units in a day,beating the previous record of 501,000 held by San Andreas

the 360 version sold 335,000
the PS3 version sold 274,000

just to compare,here in the UK again Halo 3 sold 266,000 in its first day,so the 360 version has that beat as well

well,its on its way to make back its 100million that it reportedly cost to make,whether that includes marketing/advertising i dont know

EDIT:take into account that GTA:san andreas was only available on the PS2 at the time of release
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:40:05 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 01, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »

Drunk driving is fun!  I did it for the first time last night and managed to get Roman home before the cops could catch us without wrecking the car.  I also got to hang out with Little Jacob, and man, I had to turn on the subtitles to understand what he was saying.
I have yet to get anymore time with Michelle-  she never picks up when I call her.  Also, I got the cab service option from Roman, and the first time I call the cab it drives right by me!  I ran it down, went to get in and it drove off again  mad

Respect!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 01, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »

BTW, the Rockstar Social Club is definitely updating now.  The multiplayer part is still "coming soon", but I now know I am .2% done with the Liberty City Marathon  icon_lol

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 01, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 02:28:21 PM

Also, I got the cab service option from Roman, and the first time I call the cab it drives right by me!  I ran it down, went to get in and it drove off again  mad

Are you sure that it was one of Roman's cabs and not one of the regular yellow cabs?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 01, 2008, 02:45:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 02:38:20 PM

Also, I got the cab service option from Roman, and the first time I call the cab it drives right by me!  I ran it down, went to get in and it drove off again  mad

Are you sure that it was one of Roman's cabs and not one of the regular yellow cabs?

nope, it was Romans cab.  it had the blue marker on the map and another marker hanging over it as it drove by.  I even tried hitting the left bumper to hail it.  I figure it was a glitch, but couldn't try again as Roman kept on saying all his cabs were out.  Now that I have a gun I'll make sure to shoot him if it happenes again.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 01, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 02:38:20 PM

It does that to me as well and it is the black cab.  I stand in one spot and it pulls up, but then drives a little further.  I tend to have to chase it a little bit.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

Wow, that is annoying.  Haven't had it happen to  (yet). 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »

OK, after a couple days of play I'm ready to give some SP impressions plaing on the 360. (Sorry Hark and Ridah, timing was bad on the invites Tuesday night).

Graphics: Too dark at night, icky filters at day, much prettier than any other GTA by far, thanks next gen consoles.
Driving: Man, they start you off in the worst car in the whole city. I have the Viper equivalent that I take cruising now, WAY better, basically everythnig is better than Roman's car.
Hand to hand combat: Miserable, but mostly because I'm awful at it. I hope to never be without a pistol at the very least and if I get into a MP game that's melee only, I'm going to find a car and run everyone over.
Gun combat: I haven't figured out the cover system, I always have trouble shooting out of cover. I do like the auto-aim features, nice that I CAN auto aim and still go for a head shot. I haven't played  around with the free aim, when I wanna shoot someone I'm in a hurry so a half-trigger pull ain't happening.
Story: Loving it so far. Very gritty and engaging, if a bit brutal

The only thing that annoys me in the game is trying to read the cell phone text. I have to lean over to get a good angle even with the large text turned on and contrast turned all the way up.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »

Funny Jon Stewart clip regarding GTA:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=167329

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 01, 2008, 02:32:27 PM

BTW, the Rockstar Social Club is definitely updating now.  The multiplayer part is still "coming soon", but I now know I am .2% done with the Liberty City Marathon  icon_lol

it hasn't updated anything for me yet-  it doesn't even show me as playing at all.  I dialed Zits about a few songs last night and only one of them shows up on the list, so I know my gamertag is linked.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 01, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »

can anyone tell me who sings that 'turn me on' song that you hear in the strip club,its driving me batshit crazy

and ,er not that i am in there that much paranoid

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 30, 2008, 03:26:45 PM

I spend WAY too much time listening to the europop station, myself. 

Caught myself singing the chorus (as I hear it in the game) "aye aye aye, shitty shitty bang bang" this morning.

This song has been stuck in my head since Tuesday night.  I wish I knew which song it is and who sings it.

Edit: Well, that was easy...Glukoza - "Schweine"
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:56:19 PM by Hiccup » Logged

Just a little hiccup.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 01, 2008, 04:06:32 PM »

Google Maps Can't Resist Liberty City is a new item on Kotaku...
Liberty City's a big place. Huge place. Lots of roads, lots of places to see, lots of ways to get lost. Lucky, then, that your woeful Liberty City navigation skills can be bailed out just as easily as your real-world navigation skills, with Google Maps helping set up an interactive map of GTA IV. On it, users can post the exact location of stuff like restaurants, ATMs, easter eggs and strip clubs, should you ever feel up to driving around Liberty City while checking the laptop perched precariously on your lap.

Here's the link to the actual map hosted on IGN

XBL gamertag: jztemple
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 01, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »

I'm avoiding it since there's no way to turn off the markers for the mission start points.  You don't get any explicit spoilers unless you click on the icons, but I'd rather not know where everything is going to happen.

Hopefully they'll change that soon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 01, 2008, 04:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on May 01, 2008, 03:54:22 PM

Caught myself singing the chorus (as I hear it in the game) "aye aye aye, shitty shitty bang bang" this morning.

This song has been stuck in my head since Tuesday night.  I wish I knew which song it is and who sings it.

if you dial up Zits it'll tell you what song you are playing.  I forget the number, but it's in the manual in one of the adds.

Because I can,
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 01, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

Zit's number is Zits-555-0100

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 01, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 01, 2008, 04:13:14 PM

Zit's number is Zits-555-0100

the nice part is once you dial it it's automatically gets placed in your contact list.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 04:11:28 PM

if you dial up Zits it'll tell you what song you are playing.  I forget the number, but it's in the manual in one of the adds.

hmmm...appears you can even buy the mp3 using Zit.  I may have to buy that one so i can annoy my neighbors with repeated listenings.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 01, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 04:09:07 PM

I'm avoiding it since there's no way to turn off the markers for the mission start points.  You don't get any explicit spoilers unless you click on the icons, but I'd rather not know where everything is going to happen.

Hopefully they'll change that soon.

I agree, and also because it also makes it harder to see the map. I wonder if Rockstar will squawk about the use of the copyrighted map being posted on the web?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 04:17:13 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 04:11:28 PM

if you dial up Zits it'll tell you what song you are playing.  I forget the number, but it's in the manual in one of the adds.

hmmm...appears you can even buy the mp3 using Zit.  I may have to buy that one so i can annoy my neighbors with repeated listenings.

yeah, Amazon is hosting all the songs for sale.  I tagged a couple of songs last night and while they showed up in game only one showed up on the Social Club site, and of course it was the one I already have from the soundtrack that came with the CE.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »

I'm not alone!!!  This is from an article on GameSetWatch regarding GTA and immigrants, which can be found here:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/05/gta_iv_the_immigrant_issue.php

Indeed, my experience of the game has been to find that Niko’s level-headedness, character and sense of justice (a skewed but consistent moral standard that reminds me of that of Anton Chigurh in the Coen Borthers’ latest, No Country For Old Men) has influenced the way I’ve been playing the game.

Whereas in previous iterations I wouldn’t think twice of car-jacking a vehicle to get from A to B as quickly and effectively as possible, in assuming Niko’s role I feel more comfortable hailing a taxi cab and paying a fare for the journey.

Besides the fact that viewing the city from the back of a cab is a lovely way to pass 5 minutes, the game is clever in its use of inconvenience as a deterrent to ‘unnecessary’ crime. Why not take a cab when, in doing so, there’s no risk of a police pursuit or the irritation of having another ‘death’ blighting your stat record?

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 01, 2008, 04:37:50 PM

I'm not alone!!!  This is from an article on GameSetWatch regarding GTA and immigrants, which can be found here:

I thought I was going to have more of a conscience problem with some of the crime in the game, and I gunned an innocent police officer down so I could get into his car and find a van full of TV's.   icon_eek
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »

Absolutely loving the game. Highlights so far are pulling a gun on someone in a diner for fun and him pulling a gun on me, causing me to have to kill him and a nice long police chase. I absolutely love the wanted circle mechanic I think it is great. Cinematic view is very cool as is the way the graphics blur as you go really fast.

Only downers for me so far are that it is a little dark even with the brightness turned way up, I might need to adjust my tv settings. Also I  unable to get into multiplayer AT ALL (ps3 version) which is starting to annoy me now. Keeps saying unable to connect to game provider.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 01, 2008, 04:46:32 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 01, 2008, 04:40:50 PM

I thought I was going to have more of a conscience problem with some of the crime in the game, and I gunned an innocent police officer down so I could get into his car and find a van full of TV's.   icon_eek

You do realize there was a cop car that pulled up right down the street from there and the cop left it to go do something, right?  I didn't have to kill a cop to do that mission. smile

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 01, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

Quote from: PointerOO on May 01, 2008, 04:46:24 PM

Absolutely loving the game. Highlights so far are pulling a gun on someone in a diner for fun and him pulling a gun on me, causing me to have to kill him and a nice long police chase. I absolutely love the wanted circle mechanic I think it is great. Cinematic view is very cool as is the way the graphics blur as you go really fast.

Only downers for me so far are that it is a little dark even with the brightness turned way up, I might need to adjust my tv settings. Also I  unable to get into multiplayer AT ALL (ps3 version) which is starting to annoy me now. Keeps saying unable to connect to game provider.

I found turning up the contrast as opposed to the Brightness worked better for me.  When I turned up the Brightness, white signs were way too way and I couldn't read their text.  Turning up the contrast let me see better, but without that side effect.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 01, 2008, 04:46:32 PM

You do realize there was a cop car that pulled up right down the street from there and the cop left it to go do something, right?  I didn't have to kill a cop to do that mission. smile

Yar, same here.  They basically deliver one to you for that mission.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 01, 2008, 04:46:32 PM

I only saw a cop walking around, and then a cop car slowly creeping around the neighborhood.  I followed him for a bit to see if he would stop, but then it was getting late for me to get ready for work, so I pulled in front of him in the freeway ramp and shot him.  I then got in his car and drove as fast as hell to get out of the manhunt radius.  The cop cars handle nice, btw.

Speaking of car handling, the car I have found to drive the best so far is the old muscle car.  Looks like an old Dodge Charger.  Handles like a dream.   Fabulous
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 01, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 01, 2008, 04:37:50 PM

Actually, in that mission

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you walk up the street a cop comes driving down in response to a call, parks in front of a house and leaves the car door open while he goes looking out back.  You can just get in the car.

It does seem that for every mission so far, there has been a way to get through without harming any bystanders or carjacking.  It would be interesting to try to play the game through with minimal collateral damage.  I have already run over bystanders (that's hard to avoid) and mistakenly carjacked taxis (didn't realize there were passengers), so I  have kind have gotten an "oh well" attitude at times.  I do try to steal parked cars instead of doing carjackings, though, if only to avoid getting a wanted level.

EDiT: doh, beaten

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 01, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 01, 2008, 04:51:00 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you walk up the street a cop comes driving down in response to a call, parks in front of a house and leaves the car door open while he goes looking out back.  You can just get in the car.

That's all well and good, except my cop didn't pull over.  :shrugs:
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 01, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 01, 2008, 04:56:16 PM

Did your cop have his lights going?  I heard this cop coming down the street because the sirens were blaring.  Did you maybe go after a random cop car?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 01, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 01, 2008, 04:56:16 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 01, 2008, 04:51:00 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

You still didn't have to kill him. slywink  My Niko's moral conscience is much stronger: he just pulled the cop out of the car with an apology and then drove off.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 01, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »

Not that far into it (2-3 hrs), but it's exactly what I was expecting and I'm really enjoying it.

No qualms with the graphics (PS3) or the controls, though you all prepared me in advance for the driving quirks.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 01, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 05:02:31 PM

You still didn't have to kill him. slywink  My Niko's moral conscience is much stronger: he just pulled the cop out of the car with an apology and then drove off.

Sure, because he hadn't already pulled his gun and was getting ready to plug me. slywink

And, like I said before, I was already running late to work because of this damn game, so I was looking for the easiest way out.  Murder = easy();  biggrin
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: