http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:24:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 72168 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2008, 10:20:41 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 30, 2008, 10:11:07 PM

all of a sudden I accidently drive off a bridge and the car falls 50 feet on its top.  What completely took me out of the game was the fact that Niko and sidekick never ONCE skipped a beat in their conversation the whole time they are falling top-down to the pavement below.  Even after landing they are still chatting away like I am on a Sunday drive.  Jeez.  Where in the hell is situational awareness in the programming?!  After that I turned the game off and returned it to Blockbuster.  Done. 

They do have to release the game at some point, ya know.  Seriously, though, you are complaining about such a minor thing.  They can't possibly program reactions to every possible scenario that could be played out.  Yes, it seems easy to just say: if car is falling then cut conversation and scream, but then that has to be QA tested, etc.  There are already tons of features and little extras in the game and you are pointing out one specific example and saying it is a major cause for not liking the game.  Well, how about the fact that you fell that far and didn't die?  Or that you aren't incapacitated when shot in the chest?  Or that the police give up chasing you if you just kind of lie low for 10 seconds?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »

Argh... couple more freeze ups today.  I hope Rockstar figures out what they borked up soon and patches it.

gellar
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »

Wow, just wow. Bonafide software issues/glitches aside it amazes what people will find to complain about. The even funnier ones are the ones with a long laundry list of nitpicking minutiae issues concluding with a very polite and almost apologetic "Ah well, guess this type of game isn't for me. <shrug>".

ZOMG Niko's hair doesn't grow long like in real life?

ZOMG You can't mod your cars and put on a 3-foot high spoiler and spinners?

ZOMG If Niko keeps eating at the same places everyday doesn't he get sick of the food? Why doesn't he make some comment about trying something new?

ZOMG <some other nitpick>

WORST GAME EVAR. I AM RETURNING IT OR PUTTING IT UP FOR TRADE. KTHXBYE
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:33:55 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:49 PM »

So couldn't get away from work last night in time to pick up my preorder.  No big deal right?  Preorders are good for several days last I checked.  Well just back from my local Gamestop.  They sold my preorder to some random person.  No, it wasn't a mistake.  They apparently got a call from corporate telling them to sell everything regardless of preorder status.  This is why you should never ever preorder.  Your money sits in their bank account and buys you nothing.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2008, 12:26:24 AM »

My god man,  I hope you told them for that stupidity that they do NOT get ANY Fallout 3's now when they are released.  That will teach them...  Go get em icon_twisted
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2008, 12:26:42 AM »

Quote from: kathode on April 30, 2008, 11:57:49 PM

So couldn't get away from work last night in time to pick up my preorder.  No big deal right?  Preorders are good for several days last I checked.  Well just back from my local Gamestop.  They sold my preorder to some random person.  No, it wasn't a mistake.  They apparently got a call from corporate telling them to sell everything regardless of preorder status.  This is why you should never ever preorder.  Your money sits in their bank account and buys you nothing.

I've always been adamant about the pre-order thing too. Everytime I walked into a Gamestop it was like facing the Pre-order Gestapo. Up until they pulled these recent and rediculous shenanigans where corporate issued initiatives to sell pre-ordered and pre-payed stock to walk-ins, I actually did do a few pre-orders with them that ended happily and without incident. After this though, I may never pre-order with them ever again.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 01, 2008, 12:42:30 AM »

wow that is fucking weak, I've never had that happen yet
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 01, 2008, 12:44:22 AM »

possible spoiler about michelle, but more of a speculation.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think she's an FBI agent or something. The way she always asks questions about your family. Makes comments about your clothes, car and job. She always dodges questions about her background. She said she just moved into the neighborhood too.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 01, 2008, 12:46:33 AM »

I only preorder CE's. Major releases like this you are guranteed to find a copy somewhere. I guess if you don't want to take a risk driving to another store, sure. But otherwise just not worth it. I would ask for the money back and just go somewhere else. They obviously don't want your business.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 01, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »

I got my money back and I'm headed to Best Buy where they have it in stock, and hopefully that will be my last dealing with Gamestop.  I usually defend them when people talk them down, but this has left a really bad taste in my mouth. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 01, 2008, 12:47:24 AM »

you should have beat them all to death, taken their money and stolen one of their cars.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:45 AM »

Quote from: kathode on May 01, 2008, 12:47:16 AM

I got my money back and I'm headed to Best Buy where they have it in stock, and hopefully that will be my last dealing with Gamestop.  I usually defend them when people talk them down, but this has left a really bad taste in my mouth. 
Goto CC if you can. you can nab a 10 dollar GC.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »

anyone else get a little creeped out to be driving around, listening to Liberty Rock Radio, and suddenly hearing the song from 'Silence of the Lambs' that's playing while Buffalo Bill dances around naked?  it's called 'Goodbye Horses' by Q Lazzarus...not a bad song, but caught me a little off guard considering that i associate it with such an odd movie scene...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:19:10 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2008, 01:46:36 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 10:04:45 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on April 30, 2008, 10:00:19 PM

..... listened to more programs on WKTT, their talk radio station.....

Man, you really are old.  Listening to talk radio in a videogame.  Do you stop by the virtual drug store on your way home anytime you eat at the diner for Tums or Mylanta as well? 

icon_wink

Don't forget that there are two talk radio stations, far left and far right are both equally mocked here.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2008, 03:09:58 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 10:02:45 PM

After you beat up the two "collection agents"?  I wound up just shoving him out the window with minimal effort.  I actually started to really feel like Niko was going to be an ex-military bad-ass and this was just a taste of what was to come. 

That worked, thanks.  I think part of my problem is that I'm not good thinking "outside the box" in games, which this series really requires you to do.  I prefer games to be be very straightforward and linear, and the openendedness and multiple solutions to problems are sometimes tough for me to wrap my brain around.  One of my other problems is that my stupid TV cuts off part of the bottom right of the screen.  So any time a new section of town is displayed or I try to do anything with the phone, it cuts off about half of the text.  Makes it really tough to use, especially since the phone is nearly impossible to read anyways.

Some (myself included) really like the series.  But it just doesn't click with others.  Too bad it isn't your thing.  In terms of a GTA game, this is the most polished, developed, complex game yet, and by far the best in the series.  But, it definitely is just that, another GTA game.  They've addressed the issues I personally had with past iterations (ability to replay missions, taxi transportation, etc), but it's still a GTA game at heart, which I've always enjoyed. 

You at least tried, instead of merely writing the game off like so many who have never played the series, discovering on your own that it isn't for you rather than making assumptions and criticising a game you've never played.  Kudos for that.

I gave it quite a bit more time tonight, and it's starting to click a little bit.  It's never going to hit "best game evar" status for me, but I'm at least having some fun.  Which is much more than I can say about any of the previous GTA games.   I will say that Liberty City is a pretty amazing technical achievement, even if the character models do suffer quite a bit.  Maybe I'll end up keeping it past the weekend.  smile
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:18:23 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »

First semi-major disappointment tonight. I finally unlocked internet access and while surfing the web I came across a car website that listed a bunch of cars for sale. There were phone numbers clearly visible in each listing. I figured that I would for sure be able to call these people up and buy the car off of them. No such luck, dialing the number does nothing. frown
Why have numbers clearly displayed if you can't call them?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 01, 2008, 03:14:17 AM »

I think what we're seeing in GTA is the uncanny valley of virtual worlds.  The world they've created is so close to reality that it's the small breaks in the illusion that annoy us.  In previous GTA games, the graphics and world rendering were crude enough that you could easily view it as a cartoon, and so any examples of unreality can easily be written off.  However, with GTA4, they've done such a good job of creating small bits of reality (your GF noticing that you're wearing new clothes) that other small bits of unreality are thrown into sharp relief (she's perfectly happy to jump into a car that she just watched me hijack).

Unfortunately, we're still a long way off from creating a fully-realized virtual world.  Yes, it would be nice if Nico and cousin would stop their conversation and scream when you flew off the cliff.  However, the questions you have to ask then become: how high a fall must occur before they start screaming? What happens if they hit a fire hydrant? Pedestrian? What if you get out of the car and start hitting it with a bat? Shooting it? Run into it with a motorcycle? Multiply those questions by every possible thing you can do or have happen to you in the game.  Now multiply that by every single permutation of every conversation you can have in the game.  That's the challenge of creating a perfectly realistic virtual world. 

I don't expect that we'll have such a thing for a while, until someone figures out how to do procedurally generated voice acting, which is really the limiting factor in a lot of this.  I think GTA4 is as close to that goal as anyone's managed to come, and as long as you accept its limitations, you'll be able to enjoy it for what it is.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2008, 03:25:48 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 01, 2008, 03:14:17 AM

I think what we're seeing in GTA is the uncanny valley of virtual worlds.  The world they've created is so close to reality that it's the small breaks in the illusion that annoy us.  In previous GTA games, the graphics and world rendering were crude enough that you could easily view it as a cartoon, and so any examples of unreality can easily be written off.  However, with GTA4, they've done such a good job of creating small bits of reality (your GF noticing that you're wearing new clothes) that other small bits of unreality are thrown into sharp relief (she's perfectly happy to jump into a car that she just watched me hijack).

Unfortunately, we're still a long way off from creating a fully-realized virtual world.  Yes, it would be nice if Nico and cousin would stop their conversation and scream when you flew off the cliff.  However, the questions you have to ask then become: how high a fall must occur before they start screaming? What happens if they hit a fire hydrant? Pedestrian? What if you get out of the car and start hitting it with a bat? Shooting it? Run into it with a motorcycle? Multiply those questions by every possible thing you can do or have happen to you in the game.  Now multiply that by every single permutation of every conversation you can have in the game.  That's the challenge of creating a perfectly realistic virtual world. 

I don't expect that we'll have such a thing for a while, until someone figures out how to do procedurally generated voice acting, which is really the limiting factor in a lot of this.  I think GTA4 is as close to that goal as anyone's managed to come, and as long as you accept its limitations, you'll be able to enjoy it for what it is.

Well said. I had to shake off one of these moments tonight when I was driving Roman around on the back of my motorcycle when I hit another car head on and he flew off into a support beam for the train tracks. The game told me that my friend had been injured. Being the good cousin I am I immediately dialed 911. The ambulance came, checked me out, realized I was ok and drove off, leaving my cousin's broken body lying at my feet. I eventually realized I had to leave him there and drove away. About 30 seconds later he called me on my cell asking me to pick him up at the hospital.

Initially I was upset that the situation played out so unrealistically. For a moment I remembered that this was a game with limitations, just like every other game. I decided to ignore it as the game has so many other things going for it, I can't let little details ruin my enjoyment.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2008, 04:19:23 AM »

Okay, "Republican Space Rangers" left me howling with laughter. The TV channels are hilarious.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2008, 04:39:08 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 30, 2008, 10:55:45 PM

Argh... couple more freeze ups today.  I hope Rockstar figures out what they borked up soon and patches it.

gellar
I got my first lock up, right in the middle of a "drive this truck really slow and don't get hit!" mission. That was annoying.
And after my luck this morning, I haven't been able to get on MP again. It sucks.

PSN ID: EduardoX
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 01, 2008, 04:39:33 AM »

Hark, regarding your complaints about the graphics, it just occurred to me that you haven't touched single player.  Aren't the graphics turned down a bit for multiplayer?  I'd be curious if your complaints still stand after a longer visit in the solo Liberty City.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2008, 06:13:19 AM »

Quote from: disarm on May 01, 2008, 01:16:44 AM

anyone else get a little creeped out to be driving around, listening to Liberty Rock Radio, and suddenly hearing the song from 'Silence of the Lambs' that's playing while Buffalo Bill dances around naked?  it's called 'Goodbye Horses' by Q Lazzarus...not a bad song, but caught me a little off guard considering that i associate it with such an odd movie scene...

HA, yes! I don't like the images that song conjures
/shudder
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:28 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 04:39:33 AM

Hark, regarding your complaints about the graphics, it just occurred to me that you haven't touched single player.  Aren't the graphics turned down a bit for multiplayer?  I'd be curious if your complaints still stand after a longer visit in the solo Liberty City.

After playing multiplayer for a bit, I sure didn't see any graphic turndowns. I could see across the entire city (via helicopter), and everything seemed as sharp as it was before.

BTW - there's something VERY evil about using a chopper's blades to send people (and cars!) flying 100ft through the air.  icon_twisted

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 01, 2008, 06:34:45 AM »

Oh boy. I got to this really hard bank robbery mission - already failed it four or five times.

Little point that I liked though the second time you fail and have to drive across to the other island all the people in the car have another set of dialogue and on the third time they don't talk at all - "This time we'd just like to listen to the radio." Boy was that a good design decision.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »

although i love the city,and i am loving the game,i feel as though i really need a change of scenery in the game,again this may come from me liking san andreas so much...but its just seems to be city block,city block,city block all the time

i have made it to the middle island now,where the city blocks are at least prettier(times square for one)

i think i miss the long motorcycle(easy rider type)rides across country crybaby

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2008, 06:37:27 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 01, 2008, 06:13:19 AM

Quote from: disarm on May 01, 2008, 01:16:44 AM

HA, yes! I don't like the images that song conjures
/shudder

I imagine Clerks 2 instead.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2008, 08:18:15 AM »

I love the city more and more every time I play, its nice that I'm becoming familiar with some of the areas and always a treat to discover a new area. The graphics are also starting to grow on me. The game is gorgeous at night, not half as nice during the day because of the massive blur effect going on but Rockstar did a great job with distinguishing the different times of day.

The cover system sucks though, aiming can be a bitch when you are behind cover, especially indoors. GoW this is not.

Question though: How can I get Neko a hand/blow job? The poor guy has already grown tired of Michelle...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:20:10 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 01, 2008, 09:18:21 AM »

Apparently my PS3 + GTAIV Bundle will be delivered to me within the next 2 hours 42 minutes. Hurry the heck up already!!!!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 01, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 01, 2008, 08:18:15 AM

Question though: How can I get Neko a hand/blow job? The poor guy has already grown tired of Michelle...

Just got a BJ in my last playthrough...don't know WHY...

Pick up a hooker, go to an alley or some place like that, pick whatever you'd like.

The game is growing on me.  I honestly don't know if the game booted up weird at the beginning, but I don't think I would just "get used" to these graphics.  They look better.

But like I said, it is growing on me.  I'm seeing *a little* more variance in missions so far...

Favorite moment so far - as I see the train start to pull up, I see a guy to my left reading the newspaper.  I casually just push him in front of the train.  Felt so bad doing it!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 01, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on May 01, 2008, 09:34:01 AM

Favorite moment so far - as I see the train start to pull up, I see a guy to my left reading the newspaper.  I casually just push him in front of the train.  Felt so bad doing it!

That's hilarious! You are a bad, bad man.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: May 01, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »

Well, the game is certainly good for letting off some frustration about people.
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »

There is a post van outside my house.....................

EDIT: It's here!!!
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

@PeteRock - just wait till I get into some MP with you... I'm having my Go-Go Ultra X fitted with rocket launchers  eek

I got in about three more hours yesterday afternoon. Part of it was, as mentioned above, driving around listening to that WKTT radio court "Judge Judy" parody which is pretty funny.  I'm still having to go into the Audio options menu to change the SFX/Radio settings between when I want to listen to someone riding in the car talk to me versus listen to the radio. Wish they had added some way to adjust radio volume like they did for the TV.

Got into my first more complicated mission than the normal "go pick someone up" or "go shoot someone". Had to go steal a police car and then hunt down vans to look for stolen TVs. Except for the change in locale and of course the differences in graphics it was just like a GTASA mission. I'm perfectly happy with that, I like the more action filled challenges of that kind of mission versus a "Mass Effect" type of mission where I got talk to this guy who leads me to that guy who tells me where the Romulan uber-widget is hidden  Roll Eyes

I'm going to agree with several of the posters here regarding the hyper-hype. This is not a "10 of 10" game. I'd give it a solid "9", maybe even a "9.5" if I like the later missions, but the wonky graphics are irritating and there are other smaller but still significant irritations (like the audio problem). Also, and I think this is really getting overlooked in some reviews, there's little new in the gameplay of GTAIV from the previous generation. That's not saying it's a bad game because of the lack of originality, but you should reserve the "10/10" ratings for something that breaks a lot of whole new ground and does it very well. Spore might qualify for this, Half-Life certainly did, but GTAIV doesn't. It carries the GTA concept into the next generation consoles, but it's not going going to initiate a sea change of new game designs. Oh, and the manual sucks!

I see on several sites the first mention of new GTAIV DLC coming this fall. People are speculating that it's going to add new cities to the game, but I'll go out on a limb and say that I think it's more likely to be a mission pack with some new MP tweaks and perhaps more mini-games. Remember, you saw it hear first.

Oh, and still no freezes on my Xbox360 with the game. If it makes any difference, I didn't do a cache clearing but then I haven't played that many games on the 360 so I probably don't have many software updates. I do have an auxiliary fan blowing on my unit, just in case.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2008, 11:42:48 AM »

I wish they'd add a "beep" out mode for the swearing, I don't like all the swearing either, and I actually find the beeping out highly entertaining at times...or better yet, have a "TV Movie" mode where they use ridiculous stand ins for real swear words like "golly gee" or "shucks".

The characters are really good in this game and the story is more enjoyable than San Andreas so far (didn't like the gangsta thing, so far Vice City has been my favourite).

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2008, 12:16:16 PM »

Finally ran into my first lock-up. I had failed the "Hung Out To Dry" mission, did a restart with the phone, and the game just sat at the loading screen for a good 2 minutes before I finally gave up and rebooted. Not a major deal, but another point of confirmation that the freezes are there.

One other annoyance. On the same mission I kept failing it because I have to chase a guy down and disable his car. So I had the bright idea of finding a good car, parking it in an advantageous spot right behind his getaway car, and thus being able to quickly hop in and be right behind him when he took off. Unfortunately after I triggered the cutscene, my car vanished. I ended up having to waste time hotwiring another one. Since then I've figured out that cutscenes automatically change the "world state" and you can't count on anything being where it was before. Quite an immersion breaker and a little frustrating (I missed out on stealing a bad-ass convertible this way too).

But these are nitpicks. I'm still having a blast.

Question? When the heck do we get a new clothes store? I've got $500 in my pocket, and the only place I can shop at looks like the reject warehouse of the Salvation Army Outlet.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 01, 2008, 12:50:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 01, 2008, 12:16:16 PM

One other annoyance. On the same mission I kept failing it because I have to chase a guy down and disable his car. So I had the bright idea of finding a good car, parking it in an advantageous spot right behind his getaway car, and thus being able to quickly hop in and be right behind him when he took off. Unfortunately after I triggered the cutscene, my car vanished. I ended up having to waste time hotwiring another one. Since then I've figured out that cutscenes automatically change the "world state" and you can't count on anything being where it was before. Quite an immersion breaker and a little frustrating (I missed out on stealing a bad-ass convertible this way too).

I leave sports cars for myself to use mid-mission all the time.  What (spoilered) mission specifically did you have yours disappear?  If it was one where they're trying to teach a new game mechanic like how to use a motorcycle, or if part of the story is using an NPC's car, that might be the reason you were forced out of your preplanned one.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 01, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 04:39:33 AM

My complaints were based on SP.  In MP there is usually so much action I don't notice the graphics until I'm standing alone.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 01, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 12:50:09 PM

I leave sports cars for myself to use mid-mission all the time.  What (spoilered) mission specifically did you have yours disappear?  If it was one where they're trying to teach a new game mechanic like how to use a motorcycle, or if part of the story is using an NPC's car, that might be the reason you were forced out of your preplanned one.

IIRC, on the mission that Yellowking is referring to, you enter a laundromat on a mission for Vlad, the guy sees you and books out the back and you follow and then grab a car.  The mission seems designed for you to hotwire a car you find in the back alley since presumably your regular car is where the mission marker is in the front of the laundromat.  Not sure if you can go back out of the front of the laundromat instead and grab the original car.

Whether your car saves after a cutscene seems largely determined by whether you drive it into the mission marker or just walk into itr.  When I took Michelle on a date, I parked in front of the mission marker and then walked into it.  When we left the restaurant the car was gone. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 01, 2008, 06:36:25 AM

i have made it to the middle island now,where the city blocks are at least prettier(times square for one)

I tried rushing through the story a bit to unlock that island but I still haven't gotten to it.  How far after unlocking
Spoiler for Hiden:
the safehouse up in the Bronx
do you get to Manhattan?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 01, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 01:09:30 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 12:50:09 PM

IIRC, on the mission that Yellowking is referring to, you enter a laundromat on a mission for Vlad, the guy sees you and books out the back and you follow and then grab a car.  The mission seems designed for you to hotwire a car you find in the back alley since presumably your regular car is where the mission marker is in the front of the laundromat.  Not sure if you can go back out of the front of the laundromat instead and grab the original car.

I did the exact same thing on that mission (after failing it the first time), and was also a bit surprised to find the car had disappeared.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: