http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 11:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73295 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 30, 2008, 07:57:28 PM

Quote from: depward on April 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

A couple of hours in, I'm not enjoying it very much:

1)  The graphics look like crap to me.  Yeah yeah, I know it's all 'streamlined' and such... but it doesn't deserve a '10'.

2)  I try to get into a car whenever possible because the on-foot controls makes me think I'm controlling a tank.

3)  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - oh yeah I punched!

4)  The on-foot controls are so shitty that I was killed by one person beating me up.  I'd punch him, seemingly go through him or I wasn't glitching through him enough to punch him, and he beat me up to the point of killing me.

5)  I played the original GTA3 but never played Vice City or San Andreas... and it STILL seems like all of the stupid weird glitches and weird running into people animations and stuff are in the game.

6)  Does everyone always tell me to "fuck off" if I run into them?  Wow... what an angry city.

Sure I'll keep on playing, but so far it's nothing special.
Regarding point 6 though, not sure where you live, but most places I've been in real life if you bump into someone they really do tell you to fuck off or say 'what the fuck?'.

Maybe it's because we're on the west coast and we're totally more chill here biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2008, 08:24:45 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 30, 2008, 08:22:29 PM

Maybe it's because we're on the west coast and we're totally more chill here biggrin
I like to think of you guys as more along the lines of fly or dope.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 30, 2008, 07:40:51 PM

6)  Does everyone always tell me to "fuck off" if I run into them?  Wow... what an angry city.

Obviously, you have never been to New York.

Or with Fuzzball.   icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 30, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »

I went to NYC 2 weeks ago for the first time since I was a kid, and told a few people to fuck off.

I don't do that anywhere else. But people don't shove me anywhere else. We went to this Jewiishish grocery, Jabar's, and a guy who couldn't get through an aisle shoved an old lady and she almost fell over. THAT was a surprise.

PSN ID: EduardoX
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 30, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 08:37:40 PM

haha yeah... this entire thread, I've been laughing about all the people who have complained about the language and think it's "unrealistic"

I hadn't bothered replying to that yet, but seriously...do some of yall live in some kind of carebear fantasy world or something?  there are a LOT of people in real life who talk and cuss like that.  a lot of you must be sheltered or don't have an open mind about talking to other types of people or something (and I put that last part in cause I just know some of you are going to say that you choose not to associate with people like that)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 30, 2008, 08:44:38 PM

haha yeah... this entire thread, I've been laughing about all the people who have complained about the language and think it's "unrealistic"

I hadn't bothered replying to that yet, but seriously...do some of yall live in some kind of carebear fantasy world or something?  there are a LOT of people in real life who talk and cuss like that.  a lot of you must be sheltered or don't have an open mind about talking to other types of people or something (and I put that last part in cause I just know some of you are going to say that you choose not to associate with people like that)

I'm actually more surprised people are surprised that this language appears in a Grand Theft Auto game.  I mean, even if you've never played one, surely you've heard about it, right?  It's like complaining about nude pictures in Playboy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:49:39 PM by The Grue » Logged

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 30, 2008, 07:25:38 PM

Quote from: jersoc on April 30, 2008, 07:24:10 PM

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 12:39:50 PM

5. The text is a bit hard to read and the setting on the cell phone to change it, doesn't seem to be changeable.

Other than those things, the game is off the charts good.

Actually you can. Go under options or something in th phone. I had to increase the size of mine. Not sure if anyone pointed that out yet or not.

I made it bigger, but the contrast is still fucked.  It's probably my biggest annoyance with the game.

gellar

+1

While I was playing during the day yesterday I could read the phone after changing the in-game brightness and making the phone text large. But last night I had to get up and walk over to the TV to read it.

LiveTAG: happydog
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 30, 2008, 08:47:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 30, 2008, 07:37:43 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 06:37:38 PM

Niko is a complex, deeply-troubled character in a situation he cannot control but has to endure in order to make a better life for himself.  He may be forced to do things he may not approve of, but it is all in order to move on from his troubled past.

I think that despite the graphics improvements, the euphoria engine, the new targetting system, and all the other obvious steps forward, the biggest step forward in this GTA iteration for me may be that there's a main character and a storyline I can really empathize with.

This is what stood out the most for me.  Listening to Niko during the introduction sequence, and then watching as he vaguely spoke of his difficult past both helped me to empathize with the character, which helps a great deal when trying to immerse one's self into such a role.  In previous GTA games you played a fairly one-dimensional character, but in the case of GTA IV I think the story has a lot of potential and I actually like Niko as a character.  He has morals, doubts, goals, beliefs, problems, etc.  He is obviously a virtual character, but part of what makes the storyline and character development so gripping for me is that Niko is more human than almost any other video game character I've encountered.  His facial expressions, tone of voice, pauses in conversations, it all works together to present a much more dynamic and deeper character than GTAs past.  And the voice actor has done a wonderful job thus far.

I look forward to discovering more of the main character.  

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2008, 08:49:53 PM »

If people don't like the language in-game, then they certainly shouldn't play MP with me or fuzzball.  And don't ever go to an Eagles game.   icon_wink

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »

do you remember when i said there were pencil marks on my map

well,if you goto TW@ internet cafe and go on the internet there and type in the address bar:
www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com

you will get locations for weapons,health,armour,vehicle,pigeons,ramp/stunts and entertainment...not bad really

and the pencil marks on my map,well they are actually underground weapon shops

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 08:47:35 PM

then watching as he vaguely spoke of his difficult past both helped me to empathize with the character, which helps a great deal when trying to immerse one's self into such a role.

Anyone else playing the game like me where when you start out you only walk places (in other words never car jack) or ever kill a person except for the mission?  I almost feel like he wouldn't just start stirring shit in the city, but instead will fall deeper and deeper into the crime life, slowly but surely.  I just feel that's the way he'd do it and so play the character that way.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 30, 2008, 08:52:30 PM

then watching as he vaguely spoke of his difficult past both helped me to empathize with the character, which helps a great deal when trying to immerse one's self into such a role.

Anyone else playing the game like me where when you start out you only walk places (in other words never car jack) or ever kill a person except for the mission?  I almost feel like he wouldn't just start stirring shit in the city, but instead will fall deeper and deeper into the crime life, slowly but surely.  I just feel that's the way he'd do it and so play the character that way.

so in other words, you're playing this game as if you were a Quaker gangster?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2008, 08:55:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 30, 2008, 08:51:38 PM

do you remember when i said there were pencil marks on my map

well,if you goto TW@ internet cafe and go on the internet there and type in the address bar:
www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com

you will get locations for weapons,health,armour,vehicle,pigeons,ramp/stunts and entertainment...not bad really

and the pencil marks on my map,well they are actually underground weapon shops

Where's TW@ internet cafe?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2008, 08:57:53 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 08:49:53 PM

If people don't like the language in-game, then they certainly shouldn't play MP with me or fuzzball.  And don't ever go to an Eagles game.   icon_wink

lol, that's why I *like* playing MP with you and Fuzz...I think it's hilarious even though I don't cuss too much into the microphone myself (I cuss like crazy to myself though)

I really don't understand those anti-MP people who say they hate listening to others, that's one of the funniest parts about MP.  I don't take other people seriously at all, I just laugh at them.  if they talk shit, I couldn't care less
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2008, 08:58:54 PM »

I'll car jack, but I try not to randomly kill people for no reason

walking across the entire city is just too painful, and I think even Niko would agree
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2008, 09:00:10 PM »

I try this ..... for about 5 minutes. Then I end up car-jacking some poor schmuck's humvee, picking up a hooker, then plowing into a group of mothers pushing their baby carts down the street.  icon_twisted

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 30, 2008, 08:58:54 PM

walking across the entire city is just too painful, and I think even Niko would agree

That's the thing.  You don't have to walk across the entire city in the beginning all the way up until you get the taxi ability unlocked.  Most things that require driving give you a car.  Since you keep it when you finish, you can continue to use it.  I never had very far to walk in the beginning and now I can call a taxi wherever I want to go.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 30, 2008, 09:01:13 PM

Quote from: KePoW on April 30, 2008, 08:58:54 PM

That's the thing.  You don't have to walk across the entire city in the beginning all the way up until you get the taxi ability unlocked.  Most things that require driving give you a car.  Since you keep it when you finish, you can continue to use it.  I never had very far to walk in the beginning and now I can call a taxi wherever I want to go.

I don't want to spoil anything, but you might not want to rely on that service always being there...
siege

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »

I've put 10 hours into it so far and I think I'm done with it. Never could get into the GTA games, but the hype bit me pretty hard. I have the game (PS3 version) up on the trading forum if anyone hasn't picked it up yet.

Edit: Decided to keep it. Liking it a bit more now. The story is really starting to pick up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:32:16 PM by siege » Logged
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2008, 09:16:07 PM »

I finally figured out my monitor settings (Gateways have a ton of 'em) and the game looks better regarding brightness and contrast. I just spend about three hours and only did a couple of  missions, spent the rest of time driving around and listening to the radio, and then watching some TV. Just like real-life!

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »

rickfc-TW@ internet cafe comes into the story about 5-6hrs in,and i think there are two on the first island,at least one anyway...oh,and i didnt mean to make that an actual link in my above post

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 30, 2008, 09:18:00 PM

rickfc-TW@ internet cafe comes into the story about 5-6hrs in,and i think there are two on the first island,at least one anyway...oh,and i didnt mean to make that an actual link in my above post

oh, I see.  I have to play some more.  Thanks!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »

I had a blast in multiplayer last night, what surprised me the most was how FUN it was. Its almost like you're actually out there running around with your friends, it reminds me of back in the day as a kid running around the neighborhood getting into trouble (minus all the violence and vehicles, hehe). Sitting passenger and shooting at the opposing team while someone else drives is incredible. I hope we're all playing this thing MP for a long time.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2008, 09:27:01 PM »

I'd say I'm playing in a similar, but not exact manner.  I won't steal cars simply for the sake of stealing them, but when I'm in a bind and need transportation ASAP I have no problem yanking some yuppie from their SUV in order to make a necessary getaway.  I also try to avoid pedestrians, at least when possible.  But if you don't look both ways like mom always suggested then it's on you when you become my blood-gushing hood ornament.

I don't kill indiscriminantly, but when faced with my life or another's, you better believe I'm going to ensure that I am the one walking away alive.  I've been approaching the game as if it were me in the situation, taking into consideration the lack of real-world consequences (normally I wouldn't steal a car in real-life, but if placed in a situation like Niko, who knows).  I think the character of Niko helps me to better play the role (which may be why I struggled with San Andreas, but had no problem living up the lavish, well-dressed decadent lifestyle in Vice City).    

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 09:27:01 PM

I think the character of Niko helps me to better play the role (which may be why I struggled with San Andreas, but had no problem living up the lavish, well-dressed decadent lifestyle in Vice City).   

face it....  you don't like black people!!!111

(I'm joking, although I really do know some people in real life who refused to play San Andreas because the main char was black)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 30, 2008, 09:31:45 PM

I think the character of Niko helps me to better play the role (which may be why I struggled with San Andreas, but had no problem living up the lavish, well-dressed decadent lifestyle in Vice City).   

(I'm joking, although I really do know some people in real life who refused to play San Andreas because the main char was black)

wow,really..i loved CJ,he made me laugh,i loved the whole grove street gang thing...i wonder what these people will do if masterchief took off his helmet and revealed that he is black

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 30, 2008, 09:04:02 PM

I don't want to spoil anything, but you might not want to rely on that service always being there...

Yeah, but I am sure by that time I will be a hardass criminal.  I am not planning on playing the entire game like this.  Just the beginning.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 30, 2008, 09:31:45 PM

CJ as a character just didn't resonate with me (and it would have been too jarring for me to play a white character in that role).  I can really get into Niko's character because he is a man with a past, he has had to do bad things but he recognizes the difference between right and wrong, and he is now in a situation where he has to do what is necessary to make ends meet, but he won't always like what he has to do and probably won't approve of it, either.  But when faced with choosing between life, death, or severe hardship, a man must do what is necessary to survive.

CJ was a one-dimensional character only interested in Grove Street gang prominence.  He wasn't a very complex character, pretty much following the general stereotypical 1990's Boyz in the Hood/New Jack City/Juice type of character.  His character was oversimplified and more a caricature rather than a character.  For the first time in a GTA game I felt for the lead character.  In GTA3 your character was betrayed, you escaped from prison and wanted revenge.  In Vice City you wanted to take over the world ala Scarface.  In San Andreas you wanted to restore your gang to prominence.  But never once did I feel any connection with the main character.

Until now.  I understand that Niko has seen and done things that have affected him.  It shows in his manerisms, in his facial expressions, and you can hear it in his tone of voice.  He has come to America, the land of opportunity, only to find a drunken cousin working a dead-end job and involved with seedy contacts.  And so Niko is left with using his background and knowledge to attempt to create a lifestyle of his own, and his only option is to begin with who he meets through his cousin.  This is far more complex and involved than simply providing me with a character who is pissed about a double-cross.  It goes much deeper than that.  

And that is what I appreciate most about this game thus far.  I actually care about Niko and want to see what happens next.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2008, 09:54:33 PM »

Something super-fucking-cool:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just saw a video that you can go into the Statue of Happiness and see its beating heart.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2008, 09:55:27 PM »

It turned out to be a short sprinkler repair session, so I've been playing for the last hour.

Somewhere around the 6th time the dude at the end of the mission with the knife killed me, I decided "yep, the GTA series still isn't for me".  Will probably give it another shot, but my guess is that it'll be in the trading forum by the weekend. 

I really wish whatever it is everyone else loves about this series clicked with me.  Guess I'm just not wired for this sort of game.  Oh well, guess I'll just stick with my Rock Band and JRPG's.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »

Just unlocked the gun store. Pricey! I like how in that and the clothing store you go up to the rack/table that has what you want.

Watched more TV and listened to more programs on WKTT, their talk radio station. And drove around and did more sightseeing. I'm getting a grip on navigating without using the GPS.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 09:55:27 PM

It turned out to be a short sprinkler repair session, so I've been playing for the last hour.

Somewhere around the 6th time the dude at the end of the mission with the knife killed me, I decided "yep, the GTA series still isn't for me".  Will probably give it another shot, but my guess is that it'll be in the trading forum by the weekend. 

I really wish whatever it is everyone else loves about this series clicked with me.  Guess I'm just not wired for this sort of game.  Oh well, guess I'll just stick with my Rock Band and JRPG's.

After you beat up the two "collection agents"?  I wound up just shoving him out the window with minimal effort.  I actually started to really feel like Niko was going to be an ex-military bad-ass and this was just a taste of what was to come.  

Some (myself included) really like the series.  But it just doesn't click with others.  Too bad it isn't your thing.  In terms of a GTA game, this is the most polished, developed, complex game yet, and by far the best in the series.  But, it definitely is just that, another GTA game.  They've addressed the issues I personally had with past iterations (ability to replay missions, taxi transportation, etc), but it's still a GTA game at heart, which I've always enjoyed.  

You at least tried, instead of merely writing the game off like so many who have never played the series, discovering on your own that it isn't for you rather than making assumptions and criticising a game you've never played.  Kudos for that.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 30, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on April 30, 2008, 10:00:19 PM

..... listened to more programs on WKTT, their talk radio station.....

Man, you really are old.  Listening to talk radio in a videogame.  Do you stop by the virtual drug store on your way home anytime you eat at the diner for Tums or Mylanta as well? 

icon_wink

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »

peterock-dont forget though it turned out that some of his gang betrayed CJ,and were responsible for his 'moms' death,that was quite interesting

i can definetly see where you are coming from though with the stereotypical boyz in the hood thing ...but i dont think i have really had a problem with any of the lead characters in the series,maybe number 3 because he didnt speak,which i dont like(like in bioshock especially)....and CJ called him a mute f*ck when he raced him in GTA:SA

depward

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 30, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »

While I would love to live in a carebear fantasy world... I don't.  Of course I realize that people are selfish and love to cuss in public or do other such things that should normally be reserved for private spaces.  And while I do realize this and virtually see things like that on a daily basis (i.e. people cussing outloud, acting rude, yelling and such), I hate it when I'm around them in the real world; why should I want this experience in a video game?

All the more reason why I'm not particularly enjoying this game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 30, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 30, 2008, 10:07:12 PM

While I would love to live in a carebear fantasy world... I don't.  Of course I realize that people are selfish and love to cuss in public or do other such things that should normally be reserved for private spaces.  And while I do realize this and virtually see things like that on a daily basis (i.e. people cussing outloud, acting rude, yelling and such), I hate it when I'm around them in the real world; why should I want this experience in a video game?

All the more reason why I'm not particularly enjoying this game.

well as others have said, this is the way all GTAs have been... have you played the previous ones and did you like them?  if you hated them, there was no reason for you to even try this one
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 30, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 30, 2008, 10:05:22 PM

peterock-dont forget though it turned out that some of his gang betrayed CJ,and were responsible for his 'moms' death,that was quite interesting

i can definetly see where you are coming from though with the stereotypical boyz in the hood thing ...but i dont think i have really had a problem with any of the lead characters in the series,maybe number 3 because he didnt speak,which i dont like(like in bioshock especially)....and CJ called him a mute f*ck when he raced him in GTA:SA

But it was still yet another revenge story.  On paper it sounds emotionally motivating, but in-game I just didn't care.  Not to say I didn't care that a man's mother was wrongfully murdered, but I just didn't feel anything for CJ's plight (or even the main character's plight in GTA3 or in Vice City).  I just haven't ever felt any kind of emotional connection.  

But I actually feel for Niko for some reason and want to see him succeed.  Not sure why, but I think it has to do with better voice acting, better dialogue, and a more engrossing story.  You can have a good topic for a story (such as CJ's mother's murder), but it has to be implemented well to make it resonate.  None of the GTA storylines had any impact on me.  The games were too tongue-in-cheek for me to take them seriously.  Granted, we have some of that in GTA IV, but overall I'd say it is far more gritty and realistic than prior versions.  That goes a long way in immersing me into the storyline.  I just played other GTA games.  But I am experiencing this one. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:12:50 PM by PeteRock » Logged

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »

Granted I only played one night on the game, but I will tell you two things that really took me out of the game.  In the first 30 minutes you have to escort the irritating cousin to some joint while he gambles and you lookout for loansharks.  All fine and dandy.  Then the sharks show up and the chase begins.  In that chase I ran over several people right in front of a police car and then ran INTO the police car, and the cops never even bothered to chase me.  What?  Then 30 seconds later I'm tooling along and the whole time Niko and dipthong are just chatting away about nothing in particular (something to do with gambling, making it big, and titties) and all of a sudden I accidently drive off a bridge and the car falls 50 feet on its top.  What completely took me out of the game was the fact that Niko and sidekick never ONCE skipped a beat in their conversation the whole time they are falling top-down to the pavement below.  Even after landing they are still chatting away like I am on a Sunday drive.  Jeez.  Where in the hell is situational awareness in the programming?!  After that I turned the game off and returned it to Blockbuster.  Done.  

I have to give two thumbs up to how immersive the city is.  It has that feel that the city is alive like I haven't seen since Mafia.  Excellently done.  But the rest...

And as for Niko himself as a character-really like him and the whole troubled past and how haunted he is by it.  Could see that, if handled right, being really interesting.  

I'm done thinking out loud now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2008, 10:13:43 PM »

why should I want this experience in a video game?

Because in the game if you don't like what they are doing you can pop a cap in their ass!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 30, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 30, 2008, 10:11:07 PM

Granted I only played one night on the game, but I will tell you two things that really took me out of the game.  In the first 30 minutes you have to escort the irritating cousin to some joint while he gambles and you lookout for loansharks.  All fine and dandy.  Then the sharks show up and the chase begins.  In that chase I ran over several people right in front of a police car and then ran INTO the police car, and the cops never even bothered to chase me.  What?  Then 30 seconds later I'm tooling along and the whole time Niko and dipthong are just chatting away about nothing in particular (something to do with gambling, making it big, and titties) and all of a sudden I accidently drive off a bridge and the car falls 50 feet on its top.  What completely took me out of the game was the fact that Niko and sidekick never ONCE skipped a beat in their conversation the whole time they are falling top-down to the pavement below.  Even after landing they are still chatting away like I am on a Sunday drive.  Jeez.  Where in the hell is situational awareness in the programming?!  After that I turned the game off and returned it to Blockbuster.  Done.  

I have to give two thumbs up to how immersive the city is.  It has that feel that the city is alive like I haven't seen since Mafia.  Excellently done.  But the rest...

And as for Niko himself as a character-really like him and the whole troubled past and how haunted he is by it.  Could see that, if handled right, being really interesting.  

I'm done thinking out loud now.

I guess developers had to draw a line somewhere.  I think the basic dialogue exchanges take place when you would expect to be in the middle of a leisurely drive, and few developers anticipated accidentally driving off of a bridge.  I certainly see your gripe, but I also appreciate how "alive" the world feels outside of Niko's storyline, such as fender-benders, public interactions, etc.  I'm willing to look beyond perfect situational awareness given how much else is going on.

I am far from having the same level of forgiveness as Starshifter, but I am also not willing to look past too many shortcomings.  In my case I have experienced so many other attentions to detail that some of the situational issues are forgivable.  I am far from being a "GTA BEST GAME EVAH" fanboi, and so I like to think that I can be objectively critical, and this isn't a deal-breaker for me given everything else the game has going for it.  But for others situational awareness is key to being able to become immersed in the game.  I am sorry it was such an issue for you as I believe there will be so much more to uncover later in the game.  I try not to miss such epic experiences when only a few shortcomings may be in the way.   

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: