http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 73095 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

More thoughs on Michelle

Spoiler for Hiden:
Everytime Nico asks her a question, she dodges it and asks him about himself; never really giving up any personal information. I was thinking at the time how weird and off putting that was. He even makes a comment about how hard it is to talk to her on their first date.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 30, 2008, 05:41:18 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 30, 2008, 04:56:06 PM

I'm putting this in a spoiler tag..though I don't know it to be true...yet...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Michelle is an INS agent or something...or she is just batshit insane.  I'm leaning towards INS....I mean ICE Agent...whatever they call themselves nowadays.

I had the same thought on my very first date with her.  And I'm pretty sure it'll pan out...

Spoiler for Hiden:
...as all three dates I've been on she's been a little too interested in what I did/do and every date she's queried about organized crime.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »

I don't know if this really happened but I got a  icon_biggrin out of this description someone wrote on digg:

I flipped out a phone and dialed 911. Then I found a homeless man and punched him in the face. He started punching me back, the police arrived and tried to arrest him. Then a MASSIVE ***** MOB of hobos came to his aid and took out the cops. More cops came, and more hobos came. It turned into a huge cops vs hobos fight which only ended when the cops pulled a helicopter out and peppered them all with bullets.
Once they were all dead, the cops left. A few seconds later another cop car pulls up and a cop gets out, walks up to me, and says "What's the problem here?"

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 30, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »

the car physics can be a bit wonky. Last night in one of the races my car clipped an orange barrel and ended up flipping over hood first.  I'm getting used to the graphics-  you really dont notice much when speeding down the street at maximum speed  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 30, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »

you know, it never occurred to me to try dialing 911  icon_lol

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 06:15:28 PM

you know, it never occurred to me to try dialing 911  icon_lol

There's another 3 digit number listed on a sticker in the back seat of the taxis that I meant to call as well, but I forget what it is.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »

I haven't gotten to the point where you can dial phone numbers yet. Once I do I plan to terrorize the cops quite a lot. smile

Regarding Michelle, I had the same thoughts even though I've only been out once with her. I'm curious to see how that pans out but I wouldn't be surprised if the speculation regarding her profession turns out to be accurate. Or that she was a guy previously. Which would be kinda funny. icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 06:20:43 PM

I haven't gotten to the point where you can dial phone numbers yet. Once I do I plan to terrorize the cops quite a lot. smile

You can dial numbers as soon as you get the phone by (this is on the 360, but I am sure the PS3 is similar) hitting up on the d-pad to bring up the phone and then hitting up on the d-pad to get to the keyboard.  My problem is I have tried calling numbers on signs I have seen and they don't get anywhere (unless this is what you mean by not being able to dial phone numbers yet).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »

&sp

Quote from: The Grue on April 30, 2008, 06:24:20 PM

You can dial numbers as soon as you get the phone by (this is on the 360, but I am sure the PS3 is similar) hitting up on the d-pad to bring up the phone and then hitting up on the d-pad to get to the keyboard.; My problem is I have tried calling numbers on signs I have seen and they don't get anywhere (unless this is what you mean by not being able to dial phone numbers yet).

I've tried calling the one cab number from Romans cab depot (555-2222) with no results yet. I haven't tried the other number yet though.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 06:32:19 PM

&sp

Quote from: The Grue on April 30, 2008, 06:24:20 PM

You can dial numbers as soon as you get the phone by (this is on the 360, but I am sure the PS3 is similar) hitting up on the d-pad to bring up the phone and then hitting up on the d-pad to get to the keyboard.; My problem is I have tried calling numbers on signs I have seen and they don't get anywhere (unless this is what you mean by not being able to dial phone numbers yet).

I've tried calling the one cab number from Romans cab depot (555-2222) with no results yet. I haven't tried the other number yet though.

Yeah, the 555-2222 and the 555-3333 were the first two I tried.  I have found others and they don't work, either, but they are also hard to read since the signs can be incredible messed up and blurry.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »

Ahh. Must have missed that part if it was in the pop-up instructions. Another suck thing is when those instructions do pop-up in the corner of the screen then vanish immediately. Some of them stick around and let me read them but others pop-up then disappear.

Also, the subtitles for the Rasta are hilarious because, as noted, they're just as incomprehensible as he is.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 06:35:32 PM

Ahh. Must have missed that part if it was in the pop-up instructions. Another suck thing is when those instructions do pop-up in the corner of the screen then vanish immediately. Some of them stick around and let me read them but others pop-up then disappear.

Also, the subtitles for the Rasta are hilarious because, as noted, they're just as incomprehensible as he is.

You can hit Start and move one menu screen to the right from the initial map screen (I forget what the menu item is called) to look these up after they happen.  I am not sure it ever told you that you could do it, though.  I think I just played around and figured it out.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »

I was considering writing an in-depth review about my initial impressions with both SP and MP but have been dealing with yet another nightmare of a day at work.  

Even though it is greatly out of character for me, due to time constraints my thoughts on the game so far are:

This game is absolutely amazing.  I love the depth of characters, the dialogue, the storyline, the gameplay, the attention to detail, Niko, I love it all.  Just the 3rd-person next-gen action/adventure game I've been waiting for.  I liked The Godfather, but I think GTA IV surpasses it in every respect.  Niko is a complex, deeply-troubled character in a situation he cannot control but has to endure in order to make a better life for himself.  He may be forced to do things he may not approve of, but it is all in order to move on from his troubled past.  

I love this game.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »

Today is moving even slower than yesterday.  Can I go back to Liberty City yet please?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »

The good:  I caved to the GT effect and reviews, and just got home with my copy of GTA IV today.  Figured I should at least give this game a fair shot to see if it's worth the massive hype.  Besides, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can unload it on E-bay and not lose much.  Thought I'd have all afternoon to play it while Mrs. Gratch is at work (she's not a fan of foul language, so this is one I have to play while she's out), and I was actually very excited about firing it up.

The bad
:  My father in law called me on the way home from Best Buy, and told me that today would be a great day to start working on the sprinkler system.  So I'm going to spend all afternoon working on that, and by the time we get done, Mrs. Gratch will be home.  Add that to my 12-hour workdays tomorrow and Friday, and it'll probably be sometime Saturday or Sunday before I even get to give it a shot.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 06:39:35 PM

The good:  I caved to the GT effect and reviews, and just got home with my copy of GTA IV today.  Figured I should at least give this game a fair shot to see if it's worth the massive hype.  Besides, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can unload it on E-bay and not lose much.  Thought I'd have all afternoon to play it while Mrs. Gratch is at work (she's not a fan of foul language, so this is one I have to play while she's out), and I was actually very excited about firing it up.

The bad
:  My father in law called me on the way home from Best Buy, and told me that today would be a great day to start working on the sprinkler system.  So I'm going to spend all afternoon working on that, and by the time we get done, Mrs. Gratch will be home.  Add that to my 12-hour workdays tomorrow and Friday, and it'll probably be sometime Saturday or Sunday before I even get to give it a shot.  frown

You could just tell him, "no"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 06:50:00 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 06:39:35 PM

The bad

You could just tell him, "no"

He actually meant that he was already on his way over to start working.  Not exactly good for the family relationships if I'm sitting on the couch playing video games while he's out working on my yard.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »

Quote from: spigot on April 30, 2008, 03:21:53 PM

- Taking Michelle to a bar, stumbling out into the street piss drunk and hailing a speeding taxi as it blows past us. The taxi guy actually hears and brakes hard, screeching and sliding into a fire hydrant. He's now sitting on top of the broken hydrant going full blast under him. We both get in and the next second another car plows into the back of the taxi. The taxi driver gets out and engages in fisticuffs with the other guy, a chase ensues between the two, and we're both left sitting in the car going 'WTH'.

ROFL

And I thought the time when I saw a cop car rear end another cop car, and the two drivers just started cursing each other out (while still in their cars, mind you), was funny.

Random tidbit - only in Liberty City can a cop convince a criminal to actually climb into the back of a cop car.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 30, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 07:13:34 PM

He actually meant that he was already on his way over to start working.  Not exactly good for the family relationships if I'm sitting on the couch playing video games while he's out working on my yard.

He'll get over it.  biggrin
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 30, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 07:15:05 PM

You're apparently not married.  slywink

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 30, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »

A funny story from when I was playing single player:

I found the cabaret bar place near the Safehouse and walked inside to see it pretty much empty.  I walk back out and when pushing open the door, it hits a guy outside.  He gets pissed and decides he wants to throw down.  So, we start fist fighting and I guess his friend wants in, too.  A police car comes down the street and the officers get out and shoot this guy down, get back in the car, and drive away like nothing happened, while the guy's buddy heads for the hills.  So, I got to have the cops take care of my issue for me.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 30, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 07:15:34 PM

I'm very married, and therefore being very sarcastic.  Good luck on the yard work!  I'm sure someone will get a hooker handjob in honor of your absence.  slywink
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 30, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 12:39:50 PM

5. The text is a bit hard to read and the setting on the cell phone to change it, doesn't seem to be changeable.

Other than those things, the game is off the charts good.

Actually you can. Go under options or something in th phone. I had to increase the size of mine. Not sure if anyone pointed that out yet or not.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 30, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 30, 2008, 07:24:10 PM

5. The text is a bit hard to read and the setting on the cell phone to change it, doesn't seem to be changeable.

Actually you can. Go under options or something in th phone. I had to increase the size of mine. Not sure if anyone pointed that out yet or not.

I made it bigger, but the contrast is still fucked.  It's probably my biggest annoyance with the game.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

So, Michelle is a very...needy person. She complains at me if I don't have on new clothes, or a new car in my possession.

I need to bring a cop car to my next 'date' with her just to hear her response. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 30, 2008, 07:15:34 PM

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 07:15:05 PM

Just invite him in for a virtual hand job  icon_twisted

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2008, 07:27:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 07:26:36 PM

Just invite him in for a virtual hand job  icon_twisted

What's your obsession with giving guys virtual hand jobs?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 30, 2008, 07:26:09 PM

So, Michelle is a very...needy person. She complains at me if I don't have on new clothes, or a new car in my possession.

I need to bring a cop car to my next 'date' with her just to hear her response. biggrin

I think she's something different than what everyone is speculating. 

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 07:28:55 PM

I think she's something different than what everyone is speculating. 

A blonde?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 30, 2008, 07:25:38 PM

Quote from: jersoc on April 30, 2008, 07:24:10 PM

I made it bigger, but the contrast is still fucked.  It's probably my biggest annoyance with the game.

gellar

looks fine for me. I don't know then. I even have piss poor eye sight, hehe.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 30, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 07:27:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 07:26:36 PM

Just invite him in for a virtual hand job  icon_twisted

What's your obsession with giving guys virtual hand jobs?

I didn't say he should give his dad one, just that they could have some bonding time while watching one.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 07:32:30 PM

I didn't say he should give his dad one, just that they could have some bonding time while watching one.

Maybe you should make yourself clear next time, gaylord.  biggrin
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »

First thing I did was mess with the brightness and the contrast and such. The defaults do suck, but some shifting with it makes things much better. I still think the graphics aren't impressive but the amount of detail is remarkable. Like Nico and such actually continue to move their lips while talking in a car.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 06:37:38 PM

Niko is a complex, deeply-troubled character in a situation he cannot control but has to endure in order to make a better life for himself.  He may be forced to do things he may not approve of, but it is all in order to move on from his troubled past.

I think that despite the graphics improvements, the euphoria engine, the new targetting system, and all the other obvious steps forward, the biggest step forward in this GTA iteration for me may be that there's a main character and a storyline I can really empathize with.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: April 30, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 07:36:11 PM

First thing I did was mess with the brightness and the contrast and such. The defaults do suck, but some shifting with it makes things much better. I still think the graphics aren't impressive but the amount of detail is remarkable. Like Nico and such actually continue to move their lips while talking in a car.

Agreed, although my TV is naturally dark for whatever reason, so I always have to adjust brightness and such.

And I love the 'talks' with Little Jacob. Even with the subtitles, I can only understand 1/4 the words he's saying. biggrin

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

6)  Does everyone always tell me to "fuck off" if I run into them?  Wow... what an angry city.

Obviously, you have never been to New York.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

A couple of hours in, I'm not enjoying it very much:

1)  The graphics look like crap to me.  Yeah yeah, I know it's all 'streamlined' and such... but it doesn't deserve a '10'.

2)  I try to get into a car whenever possible because the on-foot controls makes me think I'm controlling a tank.

3)  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - oh yeah I punched!

4)  The on-foot controls are so shitty that I was killed by one person beating me up.  I'd punch him, seemingly go through him or I wasn't glitching through him enough to punch him, and he beat me up to the point of killing me.

5)  I played the original GTA3 but never played Vice City or San Andreas... and it STILL seems like all of the stupid weird glitches and weird running into people animations and stuff are in the game.

6)  Does everyone always tell me to "fuck off" if I run into them?  Wow... what an angry city.

Sure I'll keep on playing, but so far it's nothing special.

I agree with almost all of your points.  I played it on a 17 in monitor at 1280x1024 and it looked pretty good though, but on my 42" at 1920x1080 it looks like ass most of the time due to horrid bloom combined with the fuzz filter and jaggies.

On foot controls are slowly growing on me, however melee combat still blows imo.

Regarding point 6 though, not sure where you live, but most places I've been in real life if you bump into someone they really do tell you to fuck off or say 'what the fuck?'.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »

Quote from: jament on April 30, 2008, 04:03:43 PM

The cover mechanic almost works...  In MP it's useless, since everyone still sees you on radar and with a colored dot over your head.  By the time you figure out how to take cover and leave cover to try and shoot at someone, they run up to you and cut your guts out or run behind you and kill you.  That's why, even with the cover mechanic, the shootouts are just people standing in the middle of the street, circling and emptying their guns.

It should work where people who are using cover disappear from radar and lose their ID dots.  Then using cover would be worth the risk of being stationary and fighting to shoot around stuff.

You can turn off the radar dots or make them only show for some things.  There are tons of options in MP that people seem to not know about.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 04:12:24 PM

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 04:01:42 PM

Yeah, I forgot about that, though I think I just walked out of the apartment when that part came up.  I was already bored with The Darkness by the time I made it that far.  I quit playing not long after that.

Sadly, you missed out on a great game.

+1 Was the first game I finished on the 360. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 30, 2008, 08:10:29 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 30, 2008, 06:37:38 PM

I was considering writing an in-depth review about my initial impressions with both SP and MP but have been dealing with yet another nightmare of a day at work.  

Even though it is greatly out of character for me, due to time constraints my thoughts on the game so far are:

This game is absolutely amazing.  I love the depth of characters, the dialogue, the storyline, the gameplay, the attention to detail, Niko, I love it all.  Just the 3rd-person next-gen action/adventure game I've been waiting for.  I liked The Godfather, but I think GTA IV surpasses it in every respect.  Niko is a complex, deeply-troubled character in a situation he cannot control but has to endure in order to make a better life for himself.  He may be forced to do things he may not approve of, but it is all in order to move on from his troubled past.  

I love this game.

OMG!  Shortest PETE_POST ever!

EDIT:  Wow, sorry for the 5 posts in a row.  Spaced it on that one.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:10:28 PM by Harkonis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: