http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:59:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official GTA4 impressions thread  (Read 72198 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 30, 2008, 01:42:28 PM

If you haven't been to the Rock Star Social Club yet, here's a screenshot I just took of the police blotter to give you an idea of what's inside:

Does it track your individual stats or no?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 30, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 02:26:02 PM

If you haven't been to the Rock Star Social Club yet, here's a screenshot I just took of the police blotter to give you an idea of what's inside:

The only individual stat tracking I can find is for the Liberty City Marathon:

There's also a multiplayer section that's not yet opened up.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 02:26:02 PM

It's a little unclear at the moment.  There is a thing called the "Liberty City Marathon" that tracks you towards a set of goals (400 miles walked/ran, 4000 miles driven, 120,000 bullets fired, etc.), but I have all 0%. Either it hasn't updated yet or I have done so little it hasn't registered as a full %.  They don't completely list all the stats you have access to in-game.

There is also a separate multi-player stat section, but it is "coming soon".  Other stuff includes an area that you are allowed to go in after you finish the story, and some special challenges, most notably people who get 100% completion during the first week of release.

edit: beaten, oh well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »

I go pick up another brick and return and this time I throw it against the main glass window. It bounces off.

The longer you hold an object in throwing position, the more force you will throw it with. I assume you just didn't throw it hard enough, which is why it bounced off the glass. I agree that making you throw it through the window vs. the door is a little screwy, but the bouncing off glass is not a bug, it's just the physics engine at work.

Oh, and after a few more hours the controls on the cars are awful. I stand by what I said earlier comparing them to The Godfather but I realized a while after posting that that I wasn't improving.

Sorry you feel that way, but the controls on the cars feel similar to any racing game I've played that is not an arcade racer and uses more realistic car physics. They handle just fine for what they are. Keep in mind the cars you get at the beginning are not race cars. They're the equivalent of taking your Toyota Corolla around a 90-degree turn at 70mph.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2008, 02:53:07 PM »

In the Social Club, how do you register so that it will get your stats from XBL? I used my gamertag but it doesn't seem to know to associate it with my XBL account.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on April 30, 2008, 02:53:07 PM

In the Social Club, how do you register so that it will get your stats from XBL? I used my gamertag but it doesn't seem to know to associate it with my XBL account.

Click "edit profile" on the top right and about halfway down you will see the link to link up your gamertag.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 30, 2008, 02:49:20 PM

I go pick up another brick and return and this time I throw it against the main glass window. It bounces off.

The longer you hold an object in throwing position, the more force you will throw it with. I assume you just didn't throw it hard enough, which is why it bounced off the glass. I agree that making you throw it through the window vs. the door is a little screwy, but the bouncing off glass is not a bug, it's just the physics engine at work.

Actually it's a bug/glitch/bad design because the second time I threw it against the door (when it went through) was when I discovered the holding it for a few seconds trick. I figured the first time that I didn't use enough force and sure enough you throw things harder when you hold down the buttons. The brick must go through the window and cannot go through the door, period. That's silly.

Oh, and after a few more hours the controls on the cars are awful. I stand by what I said earlier comparing them to The Godfather but I realized a while after posting that that I wasn't improving.

Sorry you feel that way, but the controls on the cars feel similar to any racing game I've played that is not an arcade racer and uses more realistic car physics. They handle just fine for what they are. Keep in mind the cars you get at the beginning are not race cars. They're the equivalent of taking your Toyota Corolla around a 90-degree turn at 70mph.[/quote]

I think the cars in Mafia were modeled/handle correctly based on the time frame and that was how many years ago? I think Rockstar waaaaay overcompensated because, again, the cars handle poorly while driving but they can launch through the air with ease. It's like Rockstar overbalanced it the wrong way just to show off a physics engine that we're no longer impressed with. Sort of like Valve with HL2 Ep2. They keep showing off the physics thinking that we're still impressed with it when we're not. Maybe the game gets better after the six hour mark like FFXII did. We'll see. icon_cool

And again, I have no opinion on the MP as I have not played it. That should change tonight.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 30, 2008, 02:19:02 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 02:09:45 PM

Also, when I chased the guy early on and he exited his vehicle I couldn't find him until I ran back and found some stairs I'd blown past thinking he'd run another way based on the mini-map. Oh. Okay. So this whole game, of which I can "do anything/go anywhere" only works if I complete missions based on the specific criteria set by the developers thereby limiting my imagination?

Rockstar, you fail.

Wait a sec.   You were in a footchase with someone, they ducked down a side alley and lost you so that you had to come doubling back, and you think that is unrealistic?      Or maybe I'm interpreting what you were describing wrong.

yeah, it seems odd to complain about the way that mission was handled just because you were not l33t enough to keep up with him and see him bail out of his car
 Tongue

(I fully reserve the right to be a hypocrite about this later)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 03:12:12 PM

And again, I have no opinion on the MP as I have not played it. That should change tonight.

you'd have one if you hadn't ignored our invites last night  Tongue

of course the game filled up pretty quickly after I sent one to you....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »

I was actually in the other room eating with My Fair Lady who got home right as the opening cinema finished. So we're sitting there talking while I had the game on pause and I kept hearing the invites pop up. I kept shouting back, "I've got pizza!" but that did not good. Tonight should be much different. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2008, 03:21:53 PM »

Put in a decent amount of hours last night (sorry if I didn't accept any of your invites! I have no mic! I need to rectify that today) and I'm liking it more and more. All the little details in the world really take the game to the next level. I still think Niko on-foot moves really sluggishly, but the driving is getting better and I love tooling around in the chopper.

The radio station selection is really good and varied as well. I think I spent most of my time last night just cruising around listening to all the stations. Liberty Rock FTW!

For anyone who's gotten the "Warm Coffee" achievement the love-making cutscene (which incidentally shows no skin at all, just buildings WTF) that proceeded it seemed really cheesy and out-of-place, even for a GTA game. "Oh Niko! Tell me interesting things!"

Some memorable stuff from last night:

- Carjacking a car so fast the passenger didn't even get a chance to jump out. So I'm cruising around town with this dude in the passenger seat screaming his head off. I let him out, then proceed to back over him.

- Going full blast in a humvee and trying to take a wicked jump near the big water fountain in the big park, but falling short and smashing right down on poor ol' grandma just trying to take a walk.

- Taking Michelle to a bar, stumbling out into the street piss drunk and hailing a speeding taxi as it blows past us. The taxi guy actually hears and brakes hard, screeching and sliding into a fire hydrant. He's now sitting on top of the broken hydrant going full blast under him. We both get in and the next second another car plows into the back of the taxi. The taxi driver gets out and engages in fisticuffs with the other guy, a chase ensues between the two, and we're both left sitting in the car going 'WTH'.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

I spend WAY too much time listening to the europop station, myself. 

Caught myself singing the chorus (as I hear it in the game) "aye aye aye, shitty shitty bang bang" this morning.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »

Quote from: spigot on April 30, 2008, 03:21:53 PM

- Taking Michelle to a bar, stumbling out into the street piss drunk and hailing a speeding taxi as it blows past us. The taxi guy actually hears and brakes hard, screeching and sliding into a fire hydrant. He's now sitting on top of the broken hydrant going full blast under him. We both get in and the next second another car plows into the back of the taxi. The taxi driver gets out and engages in fisticuffs with the other guy, a chase ensues between the two, and we're both left sitting in the car going 'WTH'.

yeah, BTW, if you take a taxi, spring for the extra $$ to skip the trip.  The first time I got in a taxi I swear the cabbie must have gotten into 5 different accidents on the way to my destination.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2008, 03:13:11 PM

Quote from: msduncan on April 30, 2008, 02:19:02 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 02:09:45 PM

Also, when I chased the guy early on and he exited his vehicle I couldn't find him until I ran back and found some stairs I'd blown past thinking he'd run another way based on the mini-map. Oh. Okay. So this whole game, of which I can "do anything/go anywhere" only works if I complete missions based on the specific criteria set by the developers thereby limiting my imagination?

Rockstar, you fail.

Wait a sec.   You were in a footchase with someone, they ducked down a side alley and lost you so that you had to come doubling back, and you think that is unrealistic?      Or maybe I'm interpreting what you were describing wrong.

yeah, it seems odd to complain about the way that mission was handled just because you were not l33t enough to keep up with him and see him bail out of his car
 Tongue

(I fully reserve the right to be a hypocrite about this later)

If this is the same mission I am thinking of (catching the guy named "Darden" or something after you beat up his goons), there was actually a note on the screen that said "chase Darden up the stairs".

depward

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »

A couple of hours in, I'm not enjoying it very much:

1)  The graphics look like crap to me.  Yeah yeah, I know it's all 'streamlined' and such... but it doesn't deserve a '10'.

2)  I try to get into a car whenever possible because the on-foot controls makes me think I'm controlling a tank.

3)  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - oh yeah I punched!

4)  The on-foot controls are so shitty that I was killed by one person beating me up.  I'd punch him, seemingly go through him or I wasn't glitching through him enough to punch him, and he beat me up to the point of killing me.

5)  I played the original GTA3 but never played Vice City or San Andreas... and it STILL seems like all of the stupid weird glitches and weird running into people animations and stuff are in the game.

6)  Does everyone always tell me to "fuck off" if I run into them?  Wow... what an angry city.

Sure I'll keep on playing, but so far it's nothing special.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 30, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »

Multiplayer Cops & Crooks

First of all, I really like the setup of the match.  Half the players as cops, the other half crooks.  Depending on the rule set you use, the crooks either have to safely get the boss to the extraction point, or the every man for himself style of get to the extraction point, and other crooks can leave you behind.  The cops have pretty much one goal, kill the boss or kill all the crooks.  Sure, they can go destroy the crooks getaway transportation, but that doesn't have a big ol' red dot on the map, and they have to guess where it may be.

In the protect the boss mode all the crooks start out on foot, cops do not show up on the minimap, and only have a pistol.  Depending on where you start, you could be very, very screwed.  One game we started in a residential neighborhood, filled with houses with empty driveways.  By the time we actually FOUND a car to try to get away in, 4 cops in a squad car came through and wiped us all out.  The game was over in less than a minute.  The cops have a MASSIVE advantage in this rule set because, they start out IN a car with automatic weapons, and the boss clearly marked on their minimap along with every crook.  Boss mode would really be helped if the cops didn't know which one of the crooks was the boss.  The cops get unlimited respawns, while the crooks get respawned as long as the boss is alive.

The All for One ruleset is more biased to the crooks in that only 1 crook needs to escape for the cops to lose.  Both sides start out in a car, but the cops still have the firepower advantage from the start.  It's really simple for the crooks, just set a waypoint to the extraction point and each of you get in your own car and find different ways to get there.  Even if the cops split up and try to man to man, one will probably get killed, and the crooks can have a huge headstart.

My last game of the night was a boss mode C&Cr.  Most of the people I knew, but there was 2 random people (one being what sounded like 11 who was on my team.)  We split up to track down the boss, but the 11 year old and 2 other people stick together.  I was halfway across the map, gaining on the boss and the 11 year old was driving close behind me.  We reach a busy intersection and all of a sudden he yells on voice "OOOOO, a Lamborgini!!! AND A VETTE!!!!!".  So, naturally, he stops his chase and starts arguing with one of the others that HE should drive the shiny sports cars.  Sorry, that's not true.  He wasn't really arguing as much as screaming "I WANT TO DRIVE THE FUCKING LAMBO YOU FUCKING FAG.  THE VETTE IS A PIECE OF SHIT!!!"  Thankfully, me and one other person were still on our own, and close to the boss.  We take him out as capt. Whiny Pants is complaining on how bad the car he so badly wanted to drive "Suxxors".

Just a little hiccup.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 30, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2008, 03:28:33 PM

yeah, BTW, if you take a taxi, spring for the extra $$ to skip the trip.  The first time I got in a taxi I swear the cabbie must have gotten into 5 different accidents on the way to my destination.

I kind of wish the game had a bit more "awareness" in these situations and the relationship thing could respond dynamically.

As an example, Michelle and Nico had the date from hell- things start off fine enough with the trip to the diner.  But when they walk out of the diner, the car they had drove to the diner had disappeared.  Thinking it would be kind of awkward to jack a car right in the middle of a date, I used Roman's car service and called a taxi.  Taxi shows up and the cab driver proceeds to get into a very vulgar and explicit conversation on how he uses to the cab to bag chicks.  Needless to say, with Michelle in the car during this, it should be kind of awkward.  Tons of traffic enroute and a couple of fender benders and Michelle is commenting how bored she is.  Then, to put the capper on a crappy date, when they get out of the car at her place, she gets hit by oncoming traffic!  But she still invites me in afterward ??!? 

I'd love it if the game were able to recognize these things and Michelle would have kicked Nico to the curb after such an awful experience. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 30, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »

My impression impressions after about 3 hours multiplayer, and 3 hours solo split between doing missions and goofing around:

Quote from: Harkonis on April 29, 2008, 12:26:50 PM

Graphics are butt ugly, the fuzzy filter on almost everything ruins it for me.  That 'oil painting' look from some of the screenshots is ever-present and detracts from nearly every moment.  Depth of field as mentioned by someone else is completely fubar and things are so blurry past 10 ft that it's like I'm near-sighted and misplaced my glasses.  (I know because I'm near-sighted and wearing my glasses slywink )
I don't know if it's just a difference in taste or a difference in TV & 360 settings, but I'm just not seeing the fuzzy filter or the oil painting look.  The visuals look fantastic to me.  FWIW I'm seeing the game on a 46" Samsung 4665f.

Controls are a bit touchy, especially when trying to knife a foe up close.  Cover system, while a neat idea is pretty lame over all.  I hit cover and my dude won't turn the way I need to, half the time he won't fire over cover when I hit the button, etc.
Melee combat does seem a little touchy at first, but I've only gotten into a handful of fist fights and I've gotten better at it already.  It seems my main problem is that I'm still getting used to the half-press/full-press lock on method.

As for cover, sometimes it works great and sometimes it's a bit frustrating.  In our freeplay session, I had a great moment where my pistol was outgunned by someone else's assault rifle, but I was able to duck behind a wall and use blind fire to win the firefight.  Another time there was a group of you ganging up on me, I jumped behind a low wall and had a good enough weapon to take a few of you with me and...I couldn't shoot over the wall.  It was a sloping wall that seemed to be classified as a full wall or something, or I was right on edge of a "can shoot over" and "can't shoot over" threshold.

I can't vouch for my opinion on the cover system too much though as I have yet to hit the storyline tutorial for it.

Helicopters are awesome fun, except it seems more effective to run people through with the rotors than to use the gun.
Tons of fun, but yeah the gun is damn hard to aim.  Too bad they didn't make it like Battlefield where the pilot just flies and other folks hop in for the gunning.  Guess that model wouldn't work too well for the single player side though.

I know a lot of people were complaining about the driving last night, but I thought it was one of the high points and had no problems with it at all.
Agreed.  I think it's really a matter of getting used to a model closer to Forza than to Crazy Taxi.  Not that GTA IV is a sim by any means, just more on that side of the spectrum.

Quote from: TML
Except it looks really ugly.  There's this incredibly overdone, fuzzy, smeared ugliness everywhere.  There are some real ugly textures that pop out like a sour thumb.  And the depth of field isn't done very well (maybe MGO has spoiled me in that regard).  The framerate is distracting.
It's amazing how varied the opinions are on the graphics; they really look fantastic to me.  I'm just not seeing the fuzzy filter other people are seeing.  The textures seem incredible as well, there are some great weathering looks on the old buildings and vehicles.  The framerate has been solid for me, except for a couple times in multiplayer.  The only pop-up I've seen so far is texture pop-up and I've only seen it once or twice when entering a building.

Quote from: Roscoe
Damn music was too loud during the intro, had a hard time listening to the conversation. Maybe I'll replay it.
I do wish there was a way to increase speach volume.  Most of the time it's just fine but the quiet parts are a bit too quiet for me, especially when I'm trying to understand an accent.

Quote from: TML
Ah, yes, I forgot how the helicopter actually spawned INSIDE THE GROUND thus not allowing the "crooks" to get away in the Cops 'n Crooks multiplayer.  During my confusion at being where I needed to be to escape and not being able to get into the helicopter, I was gunned down from behind.  But anyway.
And there are bugs/glitches aplenty.  I drove a car, think it was called a Uranus, in which the wheels clipped through the road nearly the entire time.  It was really distracting.
There do seem to be some glitches here and there.  Sometimes Niko does the "pull someone out of a car" animation without the guy actually coming out of the car.  I didn't see too much like that in solo play, though.  In multiplayer, however, there were a lot more oddities like cars floating a few feet in the air.  Nothing that got in the way of the gameplay, just occasional weirdness.

And I like how they *wanted* to put some weight on the main character, but it's so weird having to take these wide turns even while walking or jogging with Niko.
It feels good to me when he's jogging, but the leaning turns he does when he's walking do look a little off.  It's amazing how much more interaction there is when walking past other people.  You feel like you're pushing through a crowd rather than having everyone magically shift to the side.

I'll touch on some of my own thoughts later on (how has noone mentioned the incredible voice acting?!), but so far the game's really blowing me away.  It's not perfect, but it is one of the best games I've seen in a long time.  I think the reviews would have been better off giving 9.X for the individual parts (due to thinks like the occasional clipping problem and other clumsiness) and still giving a 10 for the bottom line score.  That seems like it'd be a much more accurate way to convey that the game is so good it makes it easy to overlook its imperfections.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 30, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

The quote system bedevils another one... retard

Oh yeah. Go and fix it uber fast so that the system doesn't register it. Now I just look dumb.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 30, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 03:44:07 PM

The quote system bedevils another one... retard

Oh yeah. Go and fix it uber fast so that the system doesn't register it. Now I just look dumb.

Cut me some slack, I wrote the post in notepad! smile
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

I have never played any of the GTA games.  Well, there was that time I tried GTA 2 for the Dreamcast for all of 10 minutes, but I was young and needed the money.  smile  All kidding aside, the series just never seemed to attract much of my attention.

Fast-forward to GTA IV, and I let the hype get the best of me.  I put in a good 2 hours last night, and haven't gotten around to much more than driving around a little, taking Michelle on a couple of dates and earning my "Warm Coffee" achievement, hanging out with Nikko's cousin and saving his ass from the loan sharks.  Oh yeah, and bought some clothes.  So far, I'm mightily impressed with the game.

The amount of immersion in this game is simply breathtaking.  When I first started playing, I sat down to watch TV for over 10 minutes.  Let me rephrase that, I was sitting in my living room, watching my videogame avatar sitting down in his living room watching TV.  I can safely say that it's the first time in over 20 years of playing videogames that this has EVER happened.

The cell phone is brilliant.  Making phone calls and receiving text messages seem natural and it surprises me that no one as ever done this so effectively in the past.

The day/night cycle is interesting, and the graphic effects, such as haze, are done right, IMHO.  Subtle things as fog just add to the realism of the city, which is alive and most often does not come across as NPC's walking around in a set pattern.

I'm still trying to get used to the driving.  Sometimes it feels just right, and sometimes it's so over-the-top that I inevitably crash.  Case in point:  In my first attempt to chase and take the loan shark down, I ended up trashing Nikko's cousin's taxi as I kept losing control of the car only after releasing the gas and GENTLY applying the brakes.  The effed up part came when a garbage truck started honking at me from at least 50 yards away, and proceeded to cross over to the wrong side of the road to hit me head on.  WTF???  Other than that, I think it's just a matter of practice.

Other WTF comments have come when on foot.  I pass within a foot of another pedestrian, without touching them, mind you, and they drop their shit and begin cursing at me.  Huh?

The one major gripe I have with the game are the loading times.  I mean, come on Rockstar.  You delayed this game plenty long to address some of the load times.  Example:  I'm on my way to my first date with Michelle, and stop the car in front of her building.  Screen cuts to black and I'm greeted with a 15-20 second loading screen.  I watch a cut scene of Nikko and Michelle talking about how everything in her apartment is new and they leave the apartment.  Another load screen.  The game starts telling me what I can do on a date and shows me a diner with an African-American male eating a burger.  Another load screen.  The game then shows a comedy club.  Load screen.  Now I'm shown a pool hall.  Load screen.  I now finally get to drive to my date.

I don't see how that wasn't addressed in the Q&A process and remedied somehow.   mad

Other than that, I'm so far enjoying my stay in Liberty City far more than I would have originally imagined.   

thumbsup thumbsup (so far)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 30, 2008, 03:39:41 PM

I'd love it if the game were able to recognize these things and Michelle would have kicked Nico to the curb after such an awful experience. 

Yeah, I was trying to be careful because I thought it would turn her off, but it was unnecessary.  For example, I didn't realize a taxi had passengers even though it seemed to pull over for me when I called (I think it was actually the taxi behind it that stopped, and I think the dome light is the key to availability, like in real life) and I wound up jacking it.  Michelle just hopped in the passenger side and we took the fares for a ride to her apartment.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 03:51:14 PM

The one major gripe I have with the game are the loading times.  I mean, come on Rockstar.  You delayed this game plenty long to address some of the load times.  Example:  I'm on my way to my first date with Michelle, and stop the car in front of her building.  Screen cuts to black and I'm greeted with a 15-20 second loading screen.  I watch a cut scene of Nikko and Michelle talking about how everything in her apartment is new and they leave the apartment.  Another load screen.  The game starts telling me what I can do on a date and shows me a diner with an African-American male eating a burger.  Another load screen.  The game then shows a comedy club.  Load screen.  Now I'm shown a pool hall.  Load screen.  I now finally get to drive to my date.

I think that segment is about as bad as the loading is going to get.  It was trying to show you all these different locations and interiors as part of the tutorial and so it couldn't do a streaming preload or whatever it normally does.  Aside from the scene you're talking about, the loading screens have been barely present: I can go from inside a bar, out the door and  outdoors, and right into a strip club interior without a second of loading or a drop in framerate.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »

The amount of immersion in this game is simply breathtaking.  When I first started playing, I sat down to watch TV for over 10 minutes.  Let me rephrase that, I was sitting in my living room, watching my videogame avatar sitting down in his living room watching TV.  I can safely say that it's the first time in over 20 years of playing videogames that this has EVER happened.

The Darkness actually had a scene that did this exact thing really, really well.  Except it was a real movie (To Kill a Mockingbird).

Yeah, that really annoyed the hell out of me too, though it's the only instance that egregious I've seen so far.  One solution would have been to play back those scenes as a pre-recorded movie instead of rendering them on the fly.  Crisis Core does something similar where they'll do parts of a cutscene rendered in-engine but will switch over to pre-recorded video to do a scene-change without requiring an additional load. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 30, 2008, 03:59:11 PM

The Darkness actually had a scene that did this exact thing really, really well.  Except it was a real movie (To Kill a Mockingbird).

Yeah, I forgot about that, though I think I just walked out of the apartment when that part came up.  I was already bored with The Darkness by the time I made it that far.  I quit playing not long after that.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »

The cover mechanic almost works...  In MP it's useless, since everyone still sees you on radar and with a colored dot over your head.  By the time you figure out how to take cover and leave cover to try and shoot at someone, they run up to you and cut your guts out or run behind you and kill you.  That's why, even with the cover mechanic, the shootouts are just people standing in the middle of the street, circling and emptying their guns.

It should work where people who are using cover disappear from radar and lose their ID dots.  Then using cover would be worth the risk of being stationary and fighting to shoot around stuff.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »

I finally got into some MP games this morning. Fun stuff!
It'll probably be better once people stop playing like children, too. In a cops and robbers mode, my "boss" robber kept running me over when we needed to get to the getaway vehicle. Idiot.
His name was ooCharlie, too, which sounds like an OOer!

PSN ID: EduardoX
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 04:01:42 PM

Yeah, I forgot about that, though I think I just walked out of the apartment when that part came up.  I was already bored with The Darkness by the time I made it that far.  I quit playing not long after that.

Sadly, you missed out on a great game.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »

Picked up the PS3 version this morning. The 3 main complaints I've seen in this thread were:

1. meh graphics, jaggies, dated textures etc

2. weird car driving handling

3. sluggish run/foot controls.

I'm happy to say, none of these are an issue with me at all.

The graphics, to me, look very nice. I didn't even notice any of the 'blur' people were talking about, except distance blurring, which is very common in games with large outdoor scopes.

IMO, the car handling/physics seem very good. I love the feel. The seem like they have more weight to them now, and drive more realistically than past GTA games, which had always been one of my major complaints with the series. IMO, the driving physics are a big improvement over past versions.

The run speed/feel complaints I just don't get at all. It feels perfectly normal to me, even realistic. He runs quite 'human-like' in my view.

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

1)  The graphics look like crap to me.  Yeah yeah, I know it's all 'streamlined' and such... but it doesn't deserve a '10'.

2)  I try to get into a car whenever possible because the on-foot controls makes me think I'm controlling a tank.

3)  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - no punch.  Push O to punch - oh yeah I punched!

4)  The on-foot controls are so shitty that I was killed by one person beating me up.  I'd punch him, seemingly go through him or I wasn't glitching through him enough to punch him, and he beat me up to the point of killing me.

5)  I played the original GTA3 but never played Vice City or San Andreas... and it STILL seems like all of the stupid weird glitches and weird running into people animations and stuff are in the game.

6)  Does everyone always tell me to "fuck off" if I run into them?  Wow... what an angry city.

#3 is 100% spot on. Right now, if I had to say, the hand to hand combat is the worst aspect of the game.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 30, 2008, 04:12:24 PM

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 04:01:42 PM

Sadly, you missed out on a great game.

I may have to revisit it after I clear some of my backlog.  I just hope it does get better after that.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

The hand-to-hand combat is absolutely a beast to work with. Nico is sluggish as he walks down the street. Apply that same sluggish attitude towards combat and I'm sure someone thought it would be fun. FAIL. Gun combat and the cover mechanics though work as advertised and those seem like a lot of fun. I am anxious to try it out with bigger and better guns.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 30, 2008, 04:17:01 PM

Quote from: depward on April 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

#3 is 100% spot on. Right now, if I had to say, the hand to hand combat is the worst aspect of the game.

In spite of agreeing with what 90% of depward posted, I am really, really enjoying the game.

gellar
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 30, 2008, 04:38:32 PM

The hand-to-hand combat is absolutely a beast to work with. Nico is sluggish as he walks down the street. Apply that same sluggish attitude towards combat and I'm sure someone thought it would be fun. FAIL. Gun combat and the cover mechanics though work as advertised and those seem like a lot of fun. I am anxious to try it out with bigger and better guns.

I haven't gotten a gun yet, so I am still trying to pound people with fists and feet.  icon_lol

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

Somebody earlier mentioned nausea. This happened to me last night after an hour and a half of playing. I was feeling pretty woozy, and thought I might be coming down with the stomach bug my wife had last week. I ended up taking a break for a couple of hours to eat dinner and watch TV, then played another hour before bedtime without incident.

I'm not one to get motion sick in games, so I didn't even think about blaming it on the game. But now that I think about it, it's the only reasonable explanation. I imagine it won't bother me after I get used to it.
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »

Still waiting for my PS3 and GTA to arrive. Should have been here Tuesday. I have a day off tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive then I will be super annoyed. Why did I think ordering online just to save 10 was a good idea?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 30, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2008, 03:53:58 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 30, 2008, 03:39:41 PM

Yeah, I was trying to be careful because I thought it would turn her off, but it was unnecessary.  For example, I didn't realize a taxi had passengers even though it seemed to pull over for me when I called (I think it was actually the taxi behind it that stopped, and I think the dome light is the key to availability, like in real life) and I wound up jacking it.  Michelle just hopped in the passenger side and we took the fares for a ride to her apartment.

I'm putting this in a spoiler tag..though I don't know it to be true...yet...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Michelle is an INS agent or something...or she is just batshit insane.  I'm leaning towards INS....I mean ICE Agent...whatever they call themselves nowadays.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 30, 2008, 04:56:06 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Michelle is an INS agent or something...or she is just batshit insane.  I'm leaning towards INS....I mean ICE Agent...whatever they call themselves nowadays.

you know, that whole thing where everything in her apartment is new and she's secretive about her background...hmm, I have to play further to agree or disagree, but I like your train of thought
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »

Well, I got a couple hours in last night and can already tell this is the best GTA yet (for me).  Some things that stand out to me:

1) It's been stated before, but this city is INCREDIBLE.  It just really nails the "feel" like no other game before. That's the best way i can describe it.
2) I love how the cars handle now.  I seem to be having a much easier time driving this time around than I usually do.
3) The new wanted level system.  I always thought that clearing your wanted level was very nebulous as far as how you went about it (ignoring paint n spray).  Now you have a definite mechanic to work with, and a clear objective. I also like that paint n spray is no longer a get out of jail free card. Always annoyed me that you could have a cop right on your tail, jump into the garage and wow... instantly clear your wanted level
4) Relationships. This system looks to be fantastic in regards to actual rewards and benefits gameplay-wise for fostering the relationships. Time will tell if it gets tedious however.
5) Combat... it just feels more real. I capped some local in the back a couple times, he fell down, then dragged himself back up and tried to stumble away. One more in the head and he was done for. Just seems more gritty and violent to me this time around.

About the only thing I don't like so far is the hand to hand combat. You can't button mash anymore like you used to, as his punch/kick time is so slow.  I think the system is just ignoring any button presses during the animations. I don't see myself being without a gun ever in this game. It's more realistic which seems to be the general direction they took this version, but in the name of hypocracy, I will choose to not like it in this one area  icon_biggrin
It also won't let me pick up trashcans and hit people over the head with it even though I can push them around... DAMNIT!

Some things I miss from previous versions:

1) Skill ups.  I enjoyed levelling up the different weapon types and vehicle skills and seeing your character get better at things.
2) Learning new melee moves at the gym. Nuff said
3) I'm hoping the side stuff like collectables, house robberies, semi truck deliveries, vigilante, taxi, ambulance, fire missions, etc are still present.  I havn't found any yet, but I still havn't unlocked all the side stuff yet, so I'm waiting with my fingers crossed. I quickly looked over the available achievements and didn't see much about that stuff though, so I'm a little nervous.

If they don't properly fill out the city with side missions and optional things to do, my opinion will shift, but right now I am totally in love with this game.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 05:00:43 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 30, 2008, 04:56:06 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

you know, that whole thing where everything in her apartment is new and she's secretive about her background...hmm, I have to play further to agree or disagree, but I like your train of thought

Yeah, she also asks an awful lot of questions about Nico's friends and if they are into crime.  An interesting thought.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: